Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sblum
Aug 10, 2004
I feel pretty
Schirmer publishes these really great books called "First Lessons in Bach". Book 1 is beginner level stuff, just beyond learning how to read music and beginning to develop 2-hand coordination. They are basically simple little technical exercises that Bach wrote for beginning students. They're short, elegantly simple, and beautiful. There's also a little one sentence piece of advice at the beginning of each piece, such as "A study in legato playing and careful balance of tone." I think there's two books, but maybe more.

Edit: I wanted to address some jazz stuff brought up in the previous page. Scales are all well and good, but I think jazz pedagogy is taught completely rear end backwards these days. Start simple. I hear guys play hip lines with terrible time and no sense of phrasing, and they sound like clowns. I know it's a cliche, but listen to the jazz greats - they can make the simplest thing (like one or two notes) sound hip as poo poo. It's all in the inflection, style, and most important of all: groove.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be practicing modes and scales, but if you think practicing scales alone is going to make you sound good, be prepared to be shocked when 6 months from now you still sound like a high school kid noodling around on the piano. Listen to real jazz players. However, it's really not a great idea to start listening to McCoy Tyner or Mulgrew Miller and try to start playing like that. It makes much more sense to begin your musical education with much "simpler" playing than that. Please, I beg of you, don't be one of those tenor players farting out shittily played Michael Brecker licks.

sblum fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 19, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU