Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

I think reading through this thread might have pushed me over the edge toward learning piano. I've picked out a bunch of starting gear and books that look promising, but a lot of this is stuff I can't see in person, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had experience with this stuff, either good or bad, before I go ahead and order it. Here's what I'm about to buy:

Keyboard
  • Casio Privia PX-200 ($400)
I haven't been able to find one to play in person, but I liked the Casio PX-110 I played, and this really seems like a good deal based on what I've read about it. This is from music123.com if anyone is interested (on sale for $500, with a promo $100 off a $500 order and free shipping)

Other Hardware
  • M-Audio SP-2 Sustain Pedal ($20)
  • World Tour Double X Keyboard Stand ($30)
  • Yamaha PKBB1MM Portable Keyboard Bench ($20)
This all seemed like decent starting gear that wasn't too expensive. If you have bench/stand advice I'd love to hear it.

Books
  • Carl Humphries, The Piano Handbook: A Complete Guide for Mastering Piano ($20)
  • Burgmuller: 25 Progressive Pieces, opus 100 (Book & CD) (Alfred CD Edition) ($10)
  • J.S. Bach: Selections from Anna Magdalena's Notebook (Book & CD) (Alfred CD Edition) ($10)
A well regarded method book and some easier pieces that should keep me busy for a while without being boring.

Whew, this was a lot of stuff to try and pick out by myself. I think I'm getting quite a lot for ~$500 though. Please set me straight if I'm on the wrong track. If it matters, my goal is to play intermediate level classical pieces and pop music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks for the info, Underdog. Now I've got to figure out how to rearrange my furniture to make room for a 4 foot wide keyboard. :)