Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Steve
Dec 21, 2004

I see what you're doing there.
I don't know where you live, but a new Yamaha upright piano is at least $10,000 and a good used one is at least $3-4000. You generally don't want to go anywhere near a $300 used acoustic piano, unless you want to spend at least that much again to get it even moderately playable.

Also, if you want to play jazz, get a teacher and get this book: http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Piano-Book-Mark-Levine/dp/0961470151/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-4347935-8849524?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188736187&sr=8-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Steve
Dec 21, 2004

That's a good price for those low end Yamahas. I own a music school and I have 6 pianos for my teachers to teach on (mostly U1), and yes I believe people should learn on a U1 or better if they can. It makes more sense to buy a used U1 than a crappy bottom end new piano. And especially more sense than grandma's old "upright grand" from the 1920s.

If you're not getting a good piano because you don't care about the action that much, then just get an electric so you don't have to deal with tuning twice a year and moving it around, etc.

the Steve
Dec 21, 2004

Your fingers are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, thumbs being 1.

Wow - it took some Googling to find accurate scale fingerings. This page seems ok:

http://www.audiblefaith.com/artists/rharrell/music/pianoscales.html

I've already said why I think students should learn on a good piano if they're going to bother getting an acoustic in the first place. Not all my U1s have heavy action. Some resistance is good and helps you develop strength. If you're able to smash the keys down with little effort, how are you supposed to play with a variety of velocities?

No - I don't generally open my pianos as I'm usually either writing or reading music when I'm at the piano.

the Steve
Dec 21, 2004

MiStArFuNk posted:

Are there any good beginning books out there for beginning jazz piano? I know a crapload of theory (I'm a jazz bassist), but when it comes to voicings and what not on the piano, I'm lost.

Check out the Jazz Piano Book by Mark Levine. He has excellent exercises specific to piano. If you know the theory, what he has you doing will make a lot of sense.