Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

An0 posted:

-Can I plug it onto my guitar amp ?
Yes, but it's not ideal, because of the range of frequencies (albeit that this is worse with a synthesizer)

quote:

-Same question with my stereo.
No troubles with that one, you just might want to switch bass boost and all that extraneous crap off.

quote:

-If these options don't work, what would you recommend for just room use ?
Monitor speakers :).

quote:

-If I want to play with a drummer, what would you recommend ? I assume I'd need a 100w amp like guitars, but that may be stupid.
On stage, you generally want 2 sets of speakers - one keyboard amp aimed at the audience, the other fed into 2 smaller speakers which are your monitors.

quote:

-Can I send the signal into my computer via MIDI/USB, modify the sounds using Reason sounds
Read the Electronic Music megathread, Reason does not actually modify sounds. You play a key on your piano, it tells your computer that you're playing a middle C, the computer tells Reason, Reason tells Subtractor or Thor or whatever "dude, play a middle C", and then the result of that goes to the soundcard.

quote:

all without any noticeable delay ?
Refer to megathread again, delay is called latency and caused by the soundcard. If it's a POS on-board thing, expect delay, albeit that since Reason is pretty modest in terms of resource use, the delay won't be -that- bad.

quote:

Using another (old) keyboard, my computer, and a stereo, there was quite a sizable delay, although I minimized the sample rate on Reason.
Time to use ASIO4ALL then, or get a soundcard for music production.

The P80 is not a bad choice and has a better keyboard feel than most other weighted controllers, but see if you can score a secondhand Audiophile 2496 or something like it for the 'puter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

davy jones posted:

Another question. What would be the cheapest way to record videos of myself playing while keeping decent sound quality? Would a webcam suffice?
c&p from what I posted on another forum:

No-no's:

- never use a cellphone camera, it's an insult to everyone involved.
- you can use a regular digital camera, but the audio quality is an insult to everone involved. It does not even qualify as "good enough" for YouTube. Your ravings about how gorgeous this or that vintage synth are are useless if you use a lovely recording method.

How to solve this if you do not want to plonk down a lot of $ for a digital video camera:

Use your digital camera (provided that it records at at least 15 frames per second) to record the video. Make sure your memory card is big enough (SD-cards come in 4gb sizes nowadays) and hope that it has continuous recording (some cameras shut off automatically after a minute).

Put it on a stand, even if you have to build some kind of contraption to get it at the right position (mic boom stands + creative use of tape works). The best shot is the overhead shot so your head isn't in the way and you don't have to take separate shots.

Then, put the synth's outputs in your computer's audio interface. Also, hook up a microphone. Start recording the video.

Now, clap your hands so the microphone records this. Shut down the microphone, unless you actually want to talk during this instead of show text slides.

Start playing. Don't be afraid to mess stuff up; if your camera's memory's big enough, you can afford a few goofs.

After you're done, there's the first problem; how to synchronize the audio and video? Well, that's what clapping your hands was for. It's trivial to find the right position in the sound file. Move it to the right position and lock it, use guides if your software supports this.

When you cut out any video parts, make sure the exact size of the audio part is cut, too. When you have made a little mistake, cut out the bits and use a crossfade so your head or hands don't jump immediately to another position.

Adobe Premiere comes in a cheaper version called "Elements" which should be more than capable for the job already.

If you're serious about this, try to see if you can borrow a camcorder from a friend or family member; you can still use the technique to record audio separately, because it means it'll get compressed and reduced in quality at the very last moment.

Don't worry about the sync; Flash video and audio tend to run out of sync eventually anyway.