Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
I have a piece A minor. All my book says about minor keys is that you move the middle finger down a key on a major chord. What else is affected by a minor key, and how does it relate to A major?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
After using my $100 Casio keyboard for a couple of months, I'm getting more serious about a digital piano. I know Privia's a are a good value, but I feel I would be completely satisfied with a Yamaha. I'm looking at the P70 and P85, which are $500-$600. Does anyone have any experience or advice on these "cheaper" Yamahas?

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
I have another question on key signatures. I have a piece that says D minor at the top the actual music has the key signature of F major. I'm assuming I just flat b and play it normally otherwise.

Also, if anyone's looking for free sheet music http://mx-music.com/ has a large collection, mostly pop.

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005

Gunga-Din posted:

I played it against the Yamaha P85 and it really felt cheap. I think it would be a great MIDI controller but I didn't like it as a standalone piano. But hell the price is right.

What did you think of the P85? I was set on a Priva PX-120 with a stand but I don't think I can not buy a Yamaha. Does anyone know of an any place with deals (or a promotion code) on P85's? It seems no one budges from $599.

Edit: I answered my own question. Here's a P85 for $499 with free shipping. You have to add it to your cart for the lower price.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543224-REG/Yamaha_P85_P85_88_Key_Portable_Digital.html

Eli Cash fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 15, 2008

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
I have a lot of trouble achieving perfection in the pieces I learn. Even after I have learned the piece, playing it all the way through without a mistake is difficult. Any thoughts on this?
I also get excited in parts of the song that I like and either play too fast or too loud, or both. How do you keep tempo and volume consistent?

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
I got a Yamaha P-85. I was using a Casio keyboard happily and thought this piano would blow me away but I was slightly underwhelmed. I like it, but it's definitely no acoustic.

My question- where does reading end and rote memory begin? I've decided to back off stuff I want to play and try some easier stuff to get more variety and develop some reading skill. I picked the easiest piece out of a early intermediate book and can read through and play it perfectly. But by the time I could play it perfect reading, I could also play it by memory. So I guess what I'm asking is if I should be able to play pieces perfectly just reading them well before I memorize them. I know memorization is inevitable to some degree.

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
Using it as a trigger is a good way to put it. I use it to trigger what I've memorized into muscle memory. I'm just worried that I'm learning so slow and using too much muscle memory to a point where I'm memorizing the just the piece and not becoming familiar with the notes and how they should feel. I also have trouble actually recognizing notes on the sheet, and I hope to get better at this by playing easier music.

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
8vb means play an octave lower. What does it mean when there is just (8)? And if it means to play the normal octave, why put anything there?

Said piece in question:

Click here for the full 1067x517 image.

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
No it's a Regina Spektor song off the internets, though likely transposed in that program.

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
"Better." There's a yahoo group called regispek that has a lot of her sheets posted.

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
I have learned all of my scales and can play them without looking the keyboard. I'm not always sure how to apply scales (even if they do apply) in order to use proper fingering. Is there a general answer or guideline to this question?

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
I like this advice. I like to figure out the most logical fingering, though it is time consuming. I usually write in numbers corresponding to fingers so my time isn't wasted (like in beginner pieces). Is this common among advanced players? Also, sometimes I feel like there's no great way to finger a sequence and have to bite the bullet and just slide my hand or have an akward move. Is this common?

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
I'm learning Yiruma's "River Flows in You." Like all of the music I play, it's above my level and I can learn it but can't perfect it. I was wondering if anybody could rate this piece's difficulty. I'm curious on how difficult it is relative to other stuff. Here's a link:
http://www.pianomusicsheet.net/yiruma-river-flows-in-you/

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005

Kash posted:

A quick question about the P85. I've read that it doesn't sit well on some stands. I'd prefer not to have to get the official stand, but use a decent x or z stand. Is this a feasible option for the P85? Does anyone use such without problems?

I'm almost at a position where I can drop the cash for this, but I don't want to get it and not be able to put it anywhere if it's not stable enough on a double x stand or whatever (which I'd have to buy too, I know the x stand I've got for my old keyboard is no where near good enough).

Also I just want a quick moan about the price of things in this country (UK). I should just stop looking at the prices of things I want to buy in the US.

The official stand is the best bet but it's an over priced sauder concoction. You could build a stand using as little as 4 wooden legs an a plywood platform or maybe even buy a used sofa table somewhere and cut the legs to the correct height. This is a sofa table:

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
I have a piece with Ped and * throughout. I know this means to hold the damper pedal between the two, but sometimes these span for quite a few measures. Is it as simple as holding the pedal at Ped and releasing at * or should I modulate the pedal somehow during this span?

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
Can anyone identify this song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QKHQjJNyG4

The video creator said it was stock music and my software didn't recognize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
Does anyone have a website or a PDF of counting time signatures? I need something with each time signature, a range of different notes, and how to count them (what I I say out loud, "one and two?).

Edit: It seems my problem is counting sixteenth notes, or eight notes in 2/2 time. So in 2/2 time:

Half note: "One and"
Quarter note: "one" or "and"
Half dot: "One and two"
Eighth note: How do I count these?

Eli Cash fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 5, 2010