Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

Himmler posted:

A shame to see such a great and useful thread get left behind
I'll bite!

I'm absolutely brand-spanking new to the world of music at the ripe old age of 25 and fancied giving the piano a bash. I'm pretty serious about wanting to plough through the grades and to become "classically trained", but I need something for home which is fairly budget yet won't hinder me too much when it comes to playing on the real thing.

Enter, the Yamaha DGX-620 (I believe it's the YPG-625 outside Europe, correct me if I'm wrong). Now, according to reviews and user opinion this is as close to a grand piano key set as you'll find on a portable, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

The question is, should I go with this and spend the extra for all the gubbins it has, or is there another keyboard out there with 88 fully-weighted keys (to the 620's standard) which is a back to basics piano replica without 500,000 voices or super synth recording, saving notes through USB etc? Really what I want is a piano, only without the cost, size and relentless noise.

Go, go Piano Thread Answer Machine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!
Good to see the thread reanimated. :)

I took the plunge and, this week, had my first piano lesson (as well as picking up a Yamaha DGX-620). After a couple of days I've finally managed to make the fingers on my left hand move independently and can now play the C Major Scale with both hands, hurrah! An insignificantly minor breakthrough, but one which felt like black magic at first and continues to amuse.

Keep up the good work, Piano-men (and women)!

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!
Bit of a progress update, the lessons are going well and after a month I'm hammering out basic Christmas carols and playing as well as [an average child] who's been learning a year, apparently. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, but it's better than a child who's been learning a month, so I'll take it!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to ABRSM graded exams and, after looking at the syllabi I don't think it's too much of a stretch for me to be ready for grade 2 early next year. My question to UK piano goons is: Do I have to get the certification for grade 1 under ABRSM before I try something higher? Failing that, is it possible to sit through multiple exams in one session?

Ta!

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Although I totally understand that buying a real piano isn't feasible for every single person who wants to learn (I spent $30,000 on a grand for myself just last year), I just hate the thought of people trying to learn on a keyboard. Even a nice keyboard. It just...isn't the same.
I simply don't have room for a piano at the moment, even an upright, so I went down the "decent keyboard" route. Although I'm still only a beginner, everything I've done so far on the Yamaha translates instantly to my teacher's grand. The only difference I've found so far is the grandeur of the sound; the key-touch is mimicked particularly well. I'm sure I'll pick up on further nuances as I spread my wings a little more, but a good keyboard has helped me get into the world of piano at a reasonable cost and without it I wouldn't be here at all.

Don't feel too bad for the keyboard goons. :)