Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've been wanting to learn to play the piano for a long time, and now I can afford to buy one. I was thinking about getting an affordable digital piano, something like a Korg SP-250 or similar. I'd really like a keyboard that let's me get piano sounds, and also Rhodes, organ, etc. But now I friend of mine wants to sell a Clavia Nord Electro 3 73 (he's getting a Nord Stage) for a little more than what a new SP-250 would cost.

1) Is an Electro 3 a bad keyboard if I want to learn how to play the piano?
2) Would it be a massive overkill to buy an Electro 3? It wasn't in my initial plans at all, but I got mighty curious since he's willing to sell it to me for just a little less than a entry-level digital piano would cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

He might be a little crazy and he's got more money than sense. Also, he sees it as some sort of friend favour and I guess he doesn't want to deal with the hazzle of selling it and perhaps having to ship it somewhere.

The keys aren't weighted though, and like I said it's only got 73 keys. Is that a problem for a person who wants to learn how to play the piano? Or should I just jump in head first?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Not really sure if this is the right thread, but I couldn't find a better one.

I ended up buying my friend's Nord Electro (I posted about this a couple of weeks ago). I got it last week and have been playing a lot, or, rather, trying to play, I don't really know how to play the piano yet. I've been using my headphones though, and in the future I'd like to use it through an amp. But I have no idea what kind of amp I need. I saw a guy on Youtube use a Behringer K3000 which seems like a decent amp, but I'm not if it fits my needs. It seems kind of big and I'm only going to use it at home. Do you have any suggestions? How much money should I use?

Also, what the easiest and best way to record my Nord? I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 but the Nord has to outputs, one left and one right. I assume it's possible to plug it into the audio interface somehow?

Xabi fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 14, 2013

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Ok, thanks. I read the Electro's manual, but it didn't say anything about these things.

Decent studio monitors, you say. Might be just as basic as my former questions, but I have no idea what's decent. A little googling gave me these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS50M

Decent enough?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

Yes, well-reviewed Yamaha monitors that cost $200 each will probably be decent enough :P

You might want a sub too.

You could spend almost $400 on the Yamaha one http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS10W-Powered-Studio-Monitor/dp/B000Z7C9HK/ref=pd_sim_MI_2
or get something like the $80 Polk Audio PSW-10(I have this, I like it)
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10...ywords=polk+sub

If you want to go cheaper on monitors look at M-Audio http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studi...eywords=m-audio or KRK http://www.amazon.com/KRK-RP5G2-Pow...words=krk+rokit
Thanks again. Didn't mean to come across as a rich twat (I'm not rich, just not the smartest with money). But these suggestions made me think. I'd like something for the Nord, but it would be perfect if it could also double as studio monitors for when I'm recording stuff. I didn't really know I could use studio monitors for the Nord, so all of this is great news TBH.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 16, 2013

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

What do people use for sheet music? I'm constantly looking for this and that song and a easy, fast and reliable place to get them would be great.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Copyright generally runs out something like 70 years* after the death of the creator, almost every original manuscript is in the public domain if it was created pre 1900.

If it has been arranged by someone who hasn't been dead 70 years, then their arrangement is still copyrighted.

*How many years may depend on where you live and how much that nation hates you.
Copyrighted arrangement, what a silly idea. It screws me as I was looking for the Beatles and Van Halen.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I'm looking for a digital piano and especially the Yamaha Arius models. Specifically I've been looking at the YDP141 and the YDP161. I'm a beginner and I'm mostly looking for something nice to pratice and play on, that won't cost too much. How big is the difference between the 141 and the 161? Also, now I see they've updated the 141/161s with 142/162s. How big is the improvement in these newer models?

I've only been looking at Yamahas. Not really sure why, I've just always had the feeling that a Yamaha piano is solid.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Ponchitta posted:

I know this is a bit old, but in case you're still reading:

The major difference between each model are notes of polyphony (how many notes can be sustained at a time), the key action, internal sound system, and the piano sampling (how "real" it sounds). These differences can be a whole range of really obvious to subtle depending on how trained and sensitive your fingers and ears are. So really, the best advice is to try them all out at a music store and see which one feels and sounds the best to you (assuming they're all within your budget). Any major music store should have most of the models, and you can ask a salesman for a decent set of noise-cancelling headphones to plug in and mess around with them (background noise at music stores can be REALLY annoying). And if you want to hear what the piano sounds like at its best, they all have sample tracks built in (hold the Demo/Song button and start hitting keys until you find something you like).

And while you're at it, check out other models other than Yamaha (though I personally found them to be the best real piano substitute).

For the newer models, it looks like the 142 now has 128 note polyphony, which can be important if you start getting into any pieces with lots of damper pedal. So it may be worth ruling out the 141 altogether...but really it's up to how it all sounds and feels to you. Also, both the 162/142 apparently have new piano sampling and internal sound systems, but again you'll need to go play them to figure out if the difference is a big deal to you.

Personally, I've had a 161 for about 6 months and think it's pretty good (and have played acoustics for 20+ years). There's definitely things I miss with acoustics, the biggest being the pedals (something I don't think digital has gotten close to right yet), but overall it's been an acceptable substitute. Especially in an apartment with thin walls if I feel like banging out some Chopin at 2 a.m.

Just keep in mind that nothing is going to compare with learning on an acoustic and all their fun little quirks. A decent upright can be had pretty cheap, and maybe something to consider if you don't have too many compelling reasons to go with a digital.
This is great, thanks a lot! I live on the fifth floor, with thin walls. I'm also pretty crap at playing so digital is the way to go.