Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Hey guys so I have a keyboard related question of my own:

I have an older Korg Triton Extreme. My main function for the keyboard is recording and live performances (pop,rock,alt). The actual onboard sounds, although numerous, are pretty terrible mixed in a live setting.

I really love some of the sounds you can create on a lot of synth keyboards. The ones with all the nobs to edit like oscillating effects and all that kind of stuff. In addition, I like some of the built in sounds on some Rolands etc.

What is the most cost effective way for me to get the sounds I want live in the most intuitive way possible (for example I can't edit sounds for poo poo on my Korg. It's very complicated to be able to do anything but play it.).

I'm totally down to use my laptop. I have a macbook pro with Logic. However Logic doesn't support VST's.

I don't know much about software but it seems that maybe Ableton Live could be helpful or something? Being able to split up my keyboard and provide beats would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Looking at that arrangement kind of breaks my heart a little bit.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Go to a music store and look through some books?

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Since I made this thread... and give out advice... but nobody knows if I can actually play the piano...

Here's one of my pieces about 2 months away from performing at jury. Although I performed it last week and will again next week, this recording takes place before then. Some screw ups, but IT HAPPENS:

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Thanks =)

Yeah, my teacher is always on me about the grace notes.

I'd like to have the Presto Coda faster, but my fingers don't want to play any faster! :smith:

I'll try to record it again in April, it might be a lot better or a little bit better or the same though haha, as I have 3 other pieces I have to prepare as well that aren't at performance level yet.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
The greatest thing is when you play your first polyrhythmic Chopin piece, and you're having such a hard time wrapping your head around it properly for a week or two.

Then you get it... then you play more Chopin... then you don't even have to think about it anymore, you've played so much 4 against 3 that it might as well be 4 16ths against 1 quarter

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I assume you're talking about the rhythms. Generally, it has less to do with your brain understanding how to play two separate rhythms at the same time and more your brain understanding the pattern and rhythmic spacing of 3 against 2 and repeating the process it learned in previous music/exercises.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
The amount of piano lessons you attend depends on how much you're going to practice each week. If you practice a ton, you need more lessons because you don't want to have 14+ hours of bad technique or wrong fingerings or wrong notes engrained in your head.

That said, if you are VERY studious and willing to do the grunt work required (aka scales, practicing hard parts that are boring, etc.) you can get away with as little as once a month once you've had maybe 8 weeks of consecutive lessons.

This is my recommendation as a B.Mus in Piano and long time piano teacher. More is always better, but considering that individuals can develop great technique just from watching the appropriate youtube videos, just having a teacher to point you in the right direction every once in a while after getting off track would be helpful. You just need to find a teacher that is understanding enough to differentiate your lesson structure to maximize the 30 minutes you spend with them (instead of doing their usual routine).

Also, the better you get the less you need lessons, unless you're trying to become a concert pianist.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Booyah- posted:

I'm starting Mozart Sonata 16 2nd mvt, and this fingering for measure 7 seems bizarre:

I really wish I had an instructor for this kind of thing, I mostly just look for youtube videos to see how they do it.

This is normal fingering. The purpose of this vs. 4323,4323,4323 is to not have you lift your fingers off the keys creating an absence (although short) of sound and a "bump" in the phrasing. In piano we have to get used to contorting our fingers in all sorts of ways that (when we're still learning the instrument) feel somewhat uncomfortable. My suggestion to you would be to experiment with moving your hands higher up on the keys to get in between the black keys more. That should help you with the fingering by creating less distance that your fingers need to stretch!

Also upon second look you don't have to use 1 on the last group of 4 sixteenth notes, you can use 2 since it's already there. The editor probably picked 1 to keep the pattern the same for repetition.

Alizee fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 24, 2021

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

The Joe Man posted:

Since I'm apparently going all in on this poo poo, I might as well get a new comfortable bench along with it.

Anyone have any recommendations for a comfortable, longer piano bench with spacious storage for sheet music books inside? There's a few ones of questionable quality I've seen on Amazon but currently considering this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RPBD500PE--roland-rpb-d500pe

For this type of stuff, I would recommend going to a piano store and buying one in person if possible. If not, what you're looking at looks great. The fact that it's adjustable with plush cushioning is awesome, and the price isn't bad. Here's another example I found online.

https://jansenpianobenches.com/coll...age-compartment

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Yeah, in the studio I used to work in we started all the kids off with Piano Adventures.

Start with the primer book:

https://www.amazon.ca/Primer-Level-...616770759&psc=1

Then get level 1:

https://www.amazon.ca/Level-Lesson-...507380204&psc=1

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Develop your ear for like 20 years, and then learn 12 different pieces that start on all the tones. You can use Chopin's Prelude in e minor for a b natural for example :)

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I don't know where you're travelling to but in Canada most music stores allow daily, weekly, monthly rentals of all sorts of instruments including full sized keyboards.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I got burnt out on practicing in my undergrad and now I'll never spend as much time playing, and therefore will never be as good, and therefore will try to play the piano for real again. Goodbye.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
The age doesn't matter. Only things that matter are 1) 88 keys 2) touch - having weighted or semi weighted keys 3) convenience - small size, has legs, had good quality built in speakers

In that order. #3 is optional as well as you can buy accessories to improve all of that.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Try to relax your hand/forearm a bit and let the weight of your arm and gravity be the force.

Also just keep practicing and build your muscles. You can run octave scales as well.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
This picture is funny and helpful

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Keep in mind that it's all a balancing act. You can't play staccato octaves free of any tension in your hand as you need to stabilize and strengthen your fingers with your wrist. However, many beginners will tense their entire arm and shoulders and even chest to play octaves. My biggest thing is just strong rounded fingers. No flat fingers unless you're playing tenths.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Piano beginner and jazz beginner cannot be the same thing in my opinion. A lot of essential aspects of jazz require basic competencies.

Unless you want a real holistic approach in which the book that teaches you chord voicings one by one sounds like a great resource.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
If you can play it slow, you can play it fast. Might just require practice.

To be frank, you need to rework your finger technique entirely. Are your fingers double jointed? Your fingers are collapsing every note at the lowest joint. You want to keep a curved shape most of the time unless you're really stretching for large intervals. I think that this is probably part of why you can't play fast.

In regards to fingering, there's too much 1-4. Try 1-5 on bigger jumps. Also the 1-2 at the end makes no sense for a 5th.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Captain Apollo posted:

Imagine
Great Balls of Fire
Hey Jude
Couple of Christmas Songs always have at the ready like Jingle Bell Rock or White Christmas
Your favorite Eagles song
Good piano bar requests and find a few of your favorites there.
I also have a few jazz standards I use because you can play them as slowly as you want and it still feels good. Autumn Leaves, Somewhere Over the Rainbow

This is like saying Stairway to Heaven, Wonderwall, Seven Nation Army and Hotel California. Different strokes for different folks though. Personally, I don't play unless people want me to. But I'm not a fan of hokey sing alongs, and I know a lot of people are, so I get it.

I'll present a different list of repertoire - Awesome classical pieces that fit the mood any time people go "Oh, you play piano! Can you play us something?". Personally, I like really moody minor key chopin and scriabin and all that, but I find these are better appreciated by the masses. Sometimes it feels awkward playing a dramatic sad piece when the mood is light and fun in the middle of the day... ya know?

Bach - Prelude in C Major (beginner)
Beethoven - Pathetique 2nd movement and 3rd if you feel
Chopin - Nocturne in Eb+
Debussy - Clair de Lune
Debussy - Arabesque
Liszt - Liebestraum No. 3
Tiersen - Comptine d'un autre ete (beginner)

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
LoL if anyone gets laid playing your repertoire it isn't due to the piano haha

And Liszt is literally the definition of a pianist getting laid

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
You're going to be "moving your hand" regardless since they're all staccato. But if you mean moving fingers off the keys to other keys, it doesn't matter. Do whichever is comfortable for you. Without sitting at a keyboard, my brain says it makes more sense to just play both 3rds with 1 and 3.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I haven't played on it, but it looks good to me from the specs! Just make sure to get a robust stand that won't move around when you're playing f or ff.