Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

TurboThather fan club President. LOL DSM
Oh, man, get rid of those steelies in a hurry. They weigh something like 18 pounds apiece. Stock wheels ought to be cheap enough and you'll drop five or so pounds per corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

meatpimp posted:

On the transmission -- the 1.6 should work, but why? There was a running change that beefed up the synchros for second gear, so it's worth it to look for a later one just for that fact. I've completely torn out second gear in an early transmission -- it's not pretty.

Crap. So my '91 has started to develop a "stiffness" between 1 and 2. I assumed this was the synchro going out, but I had hoped switching over to GM Synchromesh might make it go away.

Anything I can do to prevent it from dying on me? What is the normal cost for a rebuild?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

dreammasah posted:

I traded in my 01 Malibu that had a failing anti-theft system that would not let me start my own car and would cost $1000 to fix for a '99 Miata this weekend.

Got it for $6900 with 69k miles. It's my first stick shift, so I had the joy of learning that over the weekend. It rained last night and I got to find out real fast how sensitive a RWD is in rain.

Get some sticky tires and alloys. I went from the steel wheels (18lbs) to the 90-93 alloys (12lb), so not only did i drop 24lbs, I now cruise in style.

edit- nothing can prepare you for how many times you're going to hydroplane for a split second. Welcome to owning a lightweight car.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

TurboThather fan club President. LOL DSM

Phone posted:

edit- nothing can prepare you for how many times you're going to hydroplane for a split second. Welcome to owning a lightweight car.

I just drove through a Houston monsoon yesterday afternoon on my fresh Azenis 615s. The past four sets of tires I've run have been the 215s, and I'm surprised at the improvements on the new tire. Never once, even hitting unexpected two inch deep puddles at 50mph, did the steering go light. It's going to take a while to get used to it, I was on my old set of Azenis for about 17,000 miles, and the nylon was beginning to show. I get all tense when there's standing water as a result.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can still tell that you're not in the best situation with the RT-615, but I'm enjoying the hell out of mine. I have to remind myself to slow down when driving my dad's Focus with all-seasons around corners.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On the topic of tires: Our '99 needs new shoes. I would go get the super-sticky Azenis without a second thought, except for two facts:

*I almost never autocross it. I know it's a goddamn shame, but the scheduling rarely works out for me.
*The Miata is currently our primary commuter, since the truck is old and finicky and insured as a classic, and the Volvo sucks. As such, it gets driven about 50 miles per day, the vast majority of which are on freeways in a straight line. That doesn't count

The current tires on it are some Kumho all-seasons - one step above the Kumho POWER STAR tires I have on the Volvo but not that sticky of a tire. At the same time, though, they're more or less done (tread is nearly gone in areas of at least two of the tires, and they've hardened up like hell) after about 35k.

I would still like them to have some stickiness to them since we do take the occasional 500 mile back-roads round trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff, and much of that is happy-fun switchback time. But I don't want a tire that's going to be on cords in 15,000 miles. What's out there that's maybe a step down from the Azenis in outright grip, but a step up in terms of longevity?

lordmaf
Jul 23, 2007
ive got one of these as well.

1998 NB mk2 1.8s

just like that. (no picks on this pc)

picked it up for £5400 with a hardtop 18 months ago.

Great car. just had to put a new set of toyo proxies on and its awesome. Wish i had changed over sooner. just enough power to have fun with but not too much. Got it as my first car and not looked back. Only got the back end well out of shape a few times. mainly due to the large amounts of rain us UK goons have to endure.

Ill miss her when she goes. cracking little car that has not broken down or had any major problem (alternator belt going). But i need something faster.

6 months and counting

lordmaf fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 16, 2007

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

IOwnCalculus posted:

But I don't want a tire that's going to be on cords in 15,000 miles. What's out there that's maybe a step down from the Azenis in outright grip, but a step up in terms of longevity?

You will LOVE the Toyo T1R.

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma

lordmaf posted:

Ill miss her when she goes. cracking little car that has not broken down or had any major problem (alternator belt going). But i need something faster.

6 months and counting

Well played, thats a nice step up, but I don't think its as live able as a daily driver as a Miata can be.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Savington posted:

Seconded. They're fantastic tyres in the wet, pretty grippy in dry, and even when you're caning it, they don't howl or squeal, only make this wierd sound which I find hard to put into words... Just don't go out if it's snowing....

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Savington posted:

Who the hell has them in 185/60-14 or 195/55-14?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think thetireshoppe.com has them, but their site is slow as molasses usually.

edit- they do in 195/55/14 and 195/45/14

lordmaf
Jul 23, 2007

willd58 posted:

Well played, thats a nice step up, but I don't think its as live able as a daily driver as a Miata can be.

Ive been wanted one for years. Taken 2 years to save up and get one.

No its definatly not as liveable as an mx5. for example i can get a pc in the boot of mine but the vx has a tidly little boot. But i live in a cracking town for fast good handling cars so the pros very much outweigh the cons.

Just to add. The Toyo Proxies T1-R's are awsome. got 4 of them fitted for 190 quid and they kick the living bejesus out of my old tyres. make the car so much more fun

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

lordmaf posted:

6 months and counting

No offense, but it's mighty irritating when people post somewhat uncommon cars and don't bother telling people what the gently caress they are. I thought for sure that was an elise with a weird emblem or something until you mentioned vx. Apparently it's actually a Vauxhall VX220.

lordmaf
Jul 23, 2007
sorry bud.

Keep forgeting this is a US forum.

Yeah its a VX220. They didnt make many of them. its basically a lotus elise with a different body, engine and running gear. A little heavier but with more torque than the K series lotus.

0-60 5.6s and 30-40 mpg. which is a nice bonus

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Savington posted:

Here's my T1Rs after 14k, mostly highway, miles. Autocrossed once and did 4 hot laps around a 1.3 mile course. Size was 195/45/14. They had good grip and good response, but the ride was poo poo, the speedo was off, and they only lasted from March to August.

I've got wal-mart poo poo tires on it now for the winter, but next Spring I'm gonna try the Toyo Proxes 4.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
edit:^^^ You must really abuse the poo poo out of those, because I've had mine on for about 7 months now and I'm barely even 1/5 of the way into the usable tread.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Who the hell has them in 185/60-14 or 195/55-14?

No one. That's why I have a set on my 15" Enkei RPF-1s for spring-fall, and a set of Nokians on the stock 14s for winter.

Ize
Aug 1, 2006

Vitamin J posted:

...next Spring I'm gonna try the Toyo Proxes 4.

They're good street tires but I wouldn't recommend tracking them. I got the ones on my old Civic greasy doing..uh.."touring" laps around VIR.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

lordmaf posted:

sorry bud.

Keep forgeting this is a US forum.

Yeah its a VX220. They didnt make many of them. its basically a lotus elise with a different body, engine and running gear. A little heavier but with more torque than the K series lotus.

0-60 5.6s and 30-40 mpg. which is a nice bonus

Sounds cool, especially since it makes a Miata look practical. Are they as well known as Lotus in the UK?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Cenuji posted:

Sounds cool, especially since it makes a Miata look practical. Are they as well known as Lotus in the UK?

Well, Vauxhall is one of GM's UK marques, and given the police there drive Vauxhalls, I'd say they're fairly well known.

lordmaf
Jul 23, 2007

mobn posted:

Well, Vauxhall is one of GM's UK marques, and given the police there drive Vauxhalls, I'd say they're fairly well known.

They never took off as well as the lotus tho. People dont think of vauxhalls as a sport car manufacture so it kind of flopped. drat good cars tho.

You can get a couple of bags of shopping in the boot and thats it. No glove box. No ac, powersteering, stereo wasnt even standard. Pain in the arse to get in, low to the ground so speed bumps are a pain. :)

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I'm going to check out this Miata this weekend, and I wondering what you guys thought of it? It has my favorite color combo and looks like it has a decent amount of options. What would be a good price to pay?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mobn posted:

No one. That's why I have a set on my 15" Enkei RPF-1s for spring-fall, and a set of Nokians on the stock 14s for winter.

I've got no beef with the stock 14" alloys on the car so replacing those isn't an option :v:

What about the Yokohama AVS ES100 that Tire Rack has in 185/60-14?

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

T1rs are great tires but the way I drove they lasted about as long as the thought of a masculine looking miata did.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Just to let you guys know, Emilio from 949 Racing is taking orders for 6UL wheels in 15x8 and 15x7 again.

15x7 +27 offset Spec Miata 13.1 lb special application. 54.1 Mazda hubcentric
$139 Silver/Machined lip

15x7 +27 offset lightweight version 11.4 lbs 5.2kg
$139 Silver/Machined lip or Black/Machined lip
$154 Nickel painted

15x8 +36 offset 12.8 lbs 5.8kg
$149 Silver/Machined lip or Black/Machined lip
$164 Nickel painted

They're a hell of a deal.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

IOwnCalculus posted:

What about the Yokohama AVS ES100 that Tire Rack has in 185/60-14?

Compared to...well just about anything, they are horrid.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice
I have a 2001 NB and I installed a BEGi (Bell Engineering) Turbo kit with a T2860RS. That kit took my little C-Stock MX-5 and made it into a little monster.

194WHP
162FT/LBS TQ

Click for BIG

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

Break. posted:

I have a 2001 NB and I installed a BEGi (Bell Engineering) Turbo kit with a T2860RS. That kit took my little C-Stock MX-5 and made it into a little monster.

194WHP
162FT/LBS TQ

Keep an eye on your radiator. It's starting to go tan. I recommend either the CSF 1" or the Koyo 37mm radiator.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

Savington posted:

Keep an eye on your radiator. It's starting to go tan. I recommend either the CSF 1" or the Koyo 37mm radiator.

starting to go tan?

I am getting engine codes for it running a couple degrees under recommended temp. Will it just outright fail one day or will I see symptoms.

EDIT: It's a lot blacker in real life, if that makes any difference.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Break. posted:

194WHP
162FT/LBS TQ

Click for BIG

Nice! Lose the MAF and get the Hydra standalone computer with MAP sensor... removes a restriction and you'd probably see another 30whp+ with a tune!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Break. posted:

starting to go tan?

Apparently the plastic caps on these radiators discolor as they near the end of their useful life - the original radiator in our Miata was borderline yellow-green in color on the end caps. It never did fail completely, but it had an extremely slow leak practically since we bought it, so the extended warranty we had covered a new one.

If it comes down to it I may just get the Falken 512 or 912. I had the 512 on my Volvo and it was a drat good tire, but if anything it was too soft for that car. It would stop on a goddamn dime but it ate them up (it also has a questionable alignment).

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

meatpimp posted:

Nice! Lose the MAF and get the Hydra standalone computer with MAP sensor... removes a restriction and you'd probably see another 30whp+ with a tune!

I was planning on getting the piggyback that BEGi makes, the Xede, which comes with I think 440# injectors.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

IOwnCalculus posted:

On the topic of tires: Our '99 needs new shoes. I would go get the super-sticky Azenis without a second thought, except for two facts:

*I almost never autocross it. I know it's a goddamn shame, but the scheduling rarely works out for me.
*The Miata is currently our primary commuter, since the truck is old and finicky and insured as a classic, and the Volvo sucks. As such, it gets driven about 50 miles per day, the vast majority of which are on freeways in a straight line. That doesn't count

The current tires on it are some Kumho all-seasons - one step above the Kumho POWER STAR tires I have on the Volvo but not that sticky of a tire. At the same time, though, they're more or less done (tread is nearly gone in areas of at least two of the tires, and they've hardened up like hell) after about 35k.

I would still like them to have some stickiness to them since we do take the occasional 500 mile back-roads round trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff, and much of that is happy-fun switchback time. But I don't want a tire that's going to be on cords in 15,000 miles. What's out there that's maybe a step down from the Azenis in outright grip, but a step up in terms of longevity?

You are buying tires for the same EXACT reasons I bought tires. Daily use, mostly highway, and occasionally attacking the poo poo out of 89A :D.

I have had Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3s on the NC for a little over 20k, and they still have quite a bit of tread left. Awesome tire, especially for our weather.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

89A is seriously the best day-trip in this goddamn state if you want to actually drive. I've heard 191 is even better but it would make for one LONG day and that wouldn't even have you stopping anywhere other than gas and food.

Of course, in discussing this with my wife (it is her car after all)...she said "I want the sticky tires!" "How sticky?" "Like chewing gum..."

One set of Falken 615's, coming right up :angel: Looks like 195/60-14 is the smallest size they come in, I'm guessing that fits in the Miata just fine. Probably going to order them from Vulcan unless someone else has them signficantly cheaper.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
look out!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

89A is seriously the best day-trip in this goddamn state if you want to actually drive. I've heard 191 is even better but it would make for one LONG day and that wouldn't even have you stopping anywhere other than gas and food.

Of course, in discussing this with my wife (it is her car after all)...she said "I want the sticky tires!" "How sticky?" "Like chewing gum..."

One set of Falken 615's, coming right up :angel: Looks like 195/60-14 is the smallest size they come in, I'm guessing that fits in the Miata just fine. Probably going to order them from Vulcan unless someone else has them signficantly cheaper.

Vulcan is good, even though I had to get them shipped from Utah (as opposed to PA).

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

IOwnCalculus posted:

There is a stretch of road between Apache Junction and Tortilla Flat. That should be pretty close to your place right? Hit that sometime, amazing road.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com

$204 shipped to your door. Thank me later.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005
Ask me about the normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a RAPE victim! THE NORMAL PROFILE OF A RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM!

(I only rape women under 30 though!)
What is AI's opinion on mismatched hardtops? Black top on white car, red on white, etc. And why isn't an OEM making cheap hardtops :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Gear Head posted:

What is AI's opinion on mismatched hardtops? Black top on white car, red on white, etc. And why isn't an OEM making cheap hardtops :mad:

Two-tone can work is you match the right colors.

And there's a few aftermarket hardtop companies, but none of them look as good as the Mazda one, and most of them don't work with the various roll bars and such out there.