Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cylon Dinner Party
Dec 2, 2003

bored now.

blackoutdonnie posted:

This. It's a good approach that I'm surprised more people don't use. It may not be immediately clear for some novices, but it's not any more cryptic than the rest of perl. Plus, if you're like me OP, I bet you "snip" off the really useful do blocks into full blown subroutines. This sort of thing seems perfectly natural to me.

It does appear to be a valid technique. I've seen several examples of it in perldoc and perl design patterns, but that doesn't leave me any less disgusted with it. He could(and should) accomplish the same task by a) writing it all on one line without the temp variables, b) returning an anonymous sub, c) branching into a normal sub.

I'm assuming this is a trick for one-time insertion into someone else's code. I'd love to see a full page of do blocks in a new script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread