Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Old thread is in the archives and I feel like talking instrumental music. Let's do this.

Releases I've been into lately:

This Will Destroy You - Self Titled LP

Ok so I just listened to it today but it's everything I hoped it would be and then some. A few of the songs have some great melodies that just get stuck in your head. I also like that the album is loving loud without resorting to too much compression. I even looked at the waveform and it's pretty conservative in the peaks. Can't wait to hear the actual final album.

This is a Process of a Still Life - Earth
This is a Process of a Still Life - Light

My friend recommended these guys and I instantly fell in love with the songs on their myspace so I immediately ordered both of their LPs. It's a really cool blend of instrumental rock and electronics without going the 65dos "glitchy" route. If you want to preview/buy their albums, check out http://www.fireflysessions.com/store/

I also really dig the album art for Light:

...Of Sinking Ships - Self Titled LP

This band is pretty much one guy and he's actually the former bass player for Hopesfall even though it sounds nothing like Hopesfall. The guy's name is Chad Waldrup, he plays a ton of instruments (every instrument on the album apparently), and you'll get the song The Circumstances stuck in your head for days. Unfortunately, there is no Myspace to preview songs (the album came out in 2001) but the good news is a) there is one song on the last.fm artist page that is free to download and the rest are 30 second previews b)he is scheduling some kind of acoustic tour where he'll play this (and new) material and c) you can buy the album for ten dollars via their label (http://www.gileadmedia.net/store.htm)

I also really like the album art for this one:

So now it's your turn. Ask for recommendations, recommend some band you've been digging on that refuses to sing because singing is for losers and A Silver Mt. Zion, or talk about how every band is ripping off GYBE and EITS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Lately, I've been hooked on The Pirate Ship Quintet. The last song on their EP, titled Pirate Ship, is excellent and the mix of strings and trumpet really keep me coming back for more.

http://www.myspace.com/thepirateshipquintet

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Hydrac7 posted:

Lately, I've been hooked on The Pirate Ship Quintet. The last song on their EP, titled Pirate Ship, is excellent and the mix of strings and trumpet really keep me coming back for more.

I heard a lot about them on ATPR a few months ago but never looked into them.

Listening now and I'll tell you what, that screaming vocal on the intro to I Kina Spiser de Hund was way unexpected but also goddamn awesome too. Too bad the link to buy the EP seems to be a dead website :(

EDIT: Here's something I found that sort of helps out people who use last.fm charts and listen to a lot of long songs (re: post-rock): http://www.associativetrails.com/stuff/normalisefm//

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 30, 2007

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Might add some of my latest finds which I am in love with. Some old, some new.

Joy Wants Eternity - You Who Pretend To Sleep

Beautiful melodic postrock. Soft instrumentals, blistering crescendos and an awesome sense of dynamics. They prove that you dont need 20 minute songs to make outstanding post rock.

Try:You are the Vertical, You are the Horizon

Johnnytwentythree - JXXIII

Explosions and Yndi Halda combined with a bit of Godspeed. Epic, in every sense of the word. Proves that you can make outstanding postrock with 20 minute tracks :)

Probably my favourite album this year

Try: Ghost Soldiers

Tunturia - Maps

Tunturia manages to take a wide variety of post rock styles and meld them into something beautiful. Epic and crashing, yet quiet and introspective - much like JWE, they manage to compress everything into relatively short songs, yet still sound spacious.

Try: Cast Shadows on Clouds

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
Lately I've been listening to a lot of Explosions in the Sky.

Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever is probably my favourite album of theirs. It's really heavy at times and has an interesting texture and an overall gloomy sort of vibe to it. Very interesting to listen to while blasting it on a stereo in the dark.

The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place is probably my second favourite album of theirs. It is very mellow and free flowing, according to their wiki article it was their attempt at writing love songs, so there you go!

How Strange, Innocence is also pretty good, overall it is pretty raw and unpolished compared to their later material but it has something to it. Almost reminiscent of Godspeed You, Black Emperor!

Speaking of which... I've also been a fan of Slow Riot for New Zerĝ Kanada lately.

And of course Young Team by Mogwai, one of my favourite albums of ALL TIME.

Apologies if these bands aren't considered "post rock" or just instrumental rock or whatever, but I think they are "post rock" enough.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Spartak posted:

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Explosions in the Sky.

Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever is probably my favourite album of theirs. It's really heavy at times and has an interesting texture and an overall gloomy sort of vibe to it. Very interesting to listen to while blasting it on a stereo in the dark.

The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place is probably my second favourite album of theirs. It is very mellow and free flowing, according to their wiki article it was their attempt at writing love songs, so there you go!

How Strange, Innocence is also pretty good, overall it is pretty raw and unpolished compared to their later material but it has something to it. Almost reminiscent of Godspeed You, Black Emperor!

Speaking of which... I've also been a fan of Slow Riot for New Zerĝ Kanada lately.

And of course Young Team by Mogwai, one of my favourite albums of ALL TIME.

Apologies if these bands aren't considered "post rock" or just instrumental rock or whatever, but I think they are "post rock" enough.

No you're on the right track but this post is like going into GBS and posting something like "Check out this cat photo his face is happy I call him happycat."

Just kidding... sorta.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Spartak posted:

Speaking of Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada, I've been toying with the idea of getting the Hebrew phrase on the album cover tattooed on me somewhere.

Cover for reference:

Opinions?

Also how long until it isn't cool anymore for bands to jump on Explosions in the Sky's dicks?

albear fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 30, 2007

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

Bucket Joneses posted:

No you're on the right track but this post is like going into GBS and posting something like "Check out this cat photo his face is happy I call him happycat."

Just kidding... sorta.

Hey, I got indie cred!

Check out Jakob, http://www.jakob.co.nz/bio/index.php

a band from New Zealand, very heavy distorted instrumentals, as well as some light bits, reminiscent of Explosions. cale:drew is probably my favourite album of theirs. Check out the video page for the video for Semaphore to get an idea of probably their best work.

Spartak fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 30, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Hydrac7 posted:

Speaking of Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada, I've been toying with the idea of getting the Hebrew phrase on the album cover tattooed on me somewhere.

Cover for reference:

Opinions?

Also how long until it isn't cool anymore to jump on Explosions in the Sky's dicks?

As long as the meaning is significant to you I guess that's all that matters. The design looks aesthetically pleasing (to me) and would translate pretty well to a tat.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I consider myself a huge fan of post-rock that doesn't really know anything about the genre. What do most post-rock fans think of Do Make Say Think. I've realized that they're my favorite post-rock band, even beating out EITS. Their new album, You, You're A History In Rust is absolutely awesome and I think Executioner Blues is one of my favorite songs of the year. I've got & Yet & Yet, Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead and Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn and I love them all. I guess I might as well round off my collection and pick up their other albums. Any recommendations of bands similar to DMST?

Also, I just recently got Spirt of Eden and Laughing Stock by Talk Talk because of the recent thread about them. I listened to Spirit of Eden last night for the first time and it's absolutely loving awesome. I highly recommend these albums for post-rock fans, as it's a definite influence on the genre, or at least a forerunner.

garmonbosia
Oct 28, 2007
If you're going to recomend/listen to the Talk Talk records, I suggest you pick up Bark Psychosis's Codename: Dustsucker and/or Hex. You might also check out Gastr Del Sol, the Camofleur album is a great place to start.

I've beena big fan of post-rock for quite some time. Right now the two bands I've been listening to are Stars of the Lid and Set Fire to Flames. Both are excellent, STFTF being nominally a GYBE sideproject.

As for Do Make Say Think, I can't speak for others, but I love their stuff, esp. Goodbye Enemy airship. The new album (You' You're a History in Rust)is also excellent.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

I'm liking a lot Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Yr Skinny Fists right now. I discovered them in 2001 but I never found any of their albums anywhere, until this summer when I bought F#A#oo.

I bought Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven a couple of weeks ago. Storm is sending shivers down my spine. To me this is one of the greatest instrumental song ever in this genre.

Also from Montreal, if you're in Canada (Quebec more specifically), you may want to check this out:

Pawa Up First - Introducing New Details

It's post-rock, but it's also funky, prog and jazzy. Really cool. There's rapping on a couple of songs, but if you don't mind that, the rest is amazing.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
Thanks for making another post-rock thread, I missed the old one.

Just saw Mono last night and they played Yearning, The Kidnapper Bell, Moonlight, a new song, and Halycon. The new one had parts that reminded me of GYBE.. and it was kind of like a cross between Under the Pipal Tree and their new stuff. I liked it a lot.

I'm excited to see Do Make Say Think on Saturday. Considering Mono and DMST are two of the best live bands I've seen, it's a very good week.

Hydrac7 posted:

Also how long until it isn't cool anymore for bands to jump on Explosions in the Sky's dicks?
It hasn't been cool for a long time. Hell, even EITS jumped on EITS's dicks with their last album.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm getting tired of every band being accused of ripping off EITS after being given a cursory listen. It's like people hear loud guitars and drums and immediately write a band off without considering anything else the band is doing.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I consider myself a huge fan of post-rock that doesn't really know anything about the genre. What do most post-rock fans think of Do Make Say Think. I've realized that they're my favorite post-rock band, even beating out EITS. Their new album, You, You're A History In Rust is absolutely awesome and I think Executioner Blues is one of my favorite songs of the year. I've got & Yet & Yet, Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead and Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn and I love them all. I guess I might as well round off my collection and pick up their other albums. Any recommendations of bands similar to DMST?

Do Make Say Think starts to get into the jazzier side of postrock, moving away from the slow, swelling atmospherics of guys like Godspeed and EITS. Personally, I feel that this is where the genre is moving. The "sounds like EITS" accusation gets leveled all the time, but a lot of the time it's true; there's a lot of bands out there that really do sound very similar to them, and I don't really know how much more there is to do with this sound. The exciting bands of postrock, to me, are groups like Maserati or Samuel Jackson Five; tighter jazz-influenced instrumental rock with a driving beat. Mind you, I still love Godspeed and EITS are good, but I just think that sound needs to take a break for a while.

So I guess my point is that if you are liking what DMST has to offer, check out this branch of postrock. The two bands I mentioned are good to check out, as are Tortoise, early innovators of the style. Mercury Program is another good one that comes to mind.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Bucket Joneses posted:

I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm getting tired of every band being accused of ripping off EITS after being given a cursory listen. It's like people hear loud guitars and drums and immediately write a band off without considering anything else the band is doing.

It's kinda like with metalcore reviews how everyone just has to namedrop Converge or Botch, because they're the only two good bands of that genre.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I love you. The old post-rock thread was my favorite for discovering new music.

On the topic of new discoveries, mine have been this -

joelcamefalling posted:

Joy Wants Eternity - You Who Pretend To Sleep

Beautiful melodic postrock. Soft instrumentals, blistering crescendos and an awesome sense of dynamics. They prove that you dont need 20 minute songs to make outstanding post rock.

and this -

Immanu-El's "They'll Come, They'll Come"

Under Your Wings I'll Hide is my favorite song on there. It's sorta like Explosions but with soft vocals.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
Hey here's another post: Most of the people in here probably already know about this site, but for anyone that doesn't, be sure to check out The Silent Ballet. It's a great site for finding new postrock of all stripes, and their compilations are fantastic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ego Piano posted:

Hey here's another post: Most of the people in here probably already know about this site, but for anyone that doesn't, be sure to check out The Silent Ballet. It's a great site for finding new postrock of all stripes, and their compilations are fantastic.

Thanks a lot :unsmith:

I haven't heard of most of these, so I'm trying to check as many of them out as possible.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hydrac7 posted:

I was wondering where the Post Rock thread because I wanted to mention them. They're definitely an act to follow, I think this is their first release.

Ego Piano posted:

Thanks a lot for this, Post Rock is one of my favorite genres but I only regularly listen to 3 or 4 bands and I could stand to branch out a little. It's harder to get into new Post Rock then it is music from other genres, though. If I find out about too much Post Rock at once I end up sort of glossing over all of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bucket Joneses posted:

...Of Sinking Ships - Self Titled LP

This band is pretty much one guy and he's actually the former bass player for Hopesfall even though it sounds nothing like Hopesfall. The guy's name is Chad Waldrup, he plays a ton of instruments (every instrument on the album apparently), and you'll get the song The Circumstances stuck in your head for days. Unfortunately, there is no Myspace to preview songs (the album came out in 2001) but the good news is a) there is one song on the last.fm artist page that is free to download and the rest are 30 second previews b)he is scheduling some kind of acoustic tour where he'll play this (and new) material and c) you can buy the album for ten dollars via their label (http://www.gileadmedia.net/store.htm)

I also really like the album art for this one:

This album is seriously awesome. There's no official MySpace, but there is this one and this one. I'd reccomend listening to the former first because The Last Signal... really is a great song, but so is The Circumstances, so both of them are good.

EDIT: Nevermind, the song up for free download on the last.fm link you posted is The Last Signal.... My bad.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 30, 2007

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Anyone into Shalabi Effect? I've been digging their self-titled lately. They're from Montreal but it's a lot less mogwaishly noodly than most bands of that scene, there's kind of Middle Eastern guitar parts and interesting experiments with all sorts of noise. Someone described the album to be "like a lava lamp".

MagnumJihad
Oct 30, 2007
ಠ_ಠ
As a general rule I avoid post-rock bands. Especially after one particularly mind-numbing show I was tricked into watching (World Inferno Friendship Society got tagged onto the end of it). It was some sort of indie post-rock clusterfuck with bands like Sparrows Swarm and Sing and some band that looked like Nickelback.

But anyway, there's a band from a small city close to my hometown called By the End of Tonight. They're a kind of post-hardcore/instru-metal band. If you guys like post rock I don't know how you'd feel about their newer material, but if you can find their album A Tribute to Tigers you'll probably enjoy it.

I encourage you all to keep it indie and look into them. They're very talented musicians and really good guys.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

MagnumJihad posted:

As a general rule I avoid post-rock bands. Especially after one particularly mind-numbing show I was tricked into watching (World Inferno Friendship Society got tagged onto the end of it). It was some sort of indie post-rock clusterfuck with bands like Sparrows Swarm and Sing and some band that looked like Nickelback.

Ok, great story.

quote:

But anyway, there's a band from a small city close to my hometown called By the End of Tonight. They're a kind of post-hardcore/instru-metal band. If you guys like post rock I don't know how you'd feel about their newer material, but if you can find their album A Tribute to Tigers you'll probably enjoy it.

This album is actually prett impressive and I second his recommendation.

quote:

I encourage you all to keep it indie.

What the hell is this?

MagnumJihad
Oct 30, 2007
ಠ_ಠ

urbancontra posted:

What the hell is this?

A sense of humor.

Stegosnorus
Jan 6, 2005

Hydrac7 posted:

That'd be a stupid tattoo, but I ain't one to talk with a Dead Kennedys tat.

Silver Rocket
Sep 2, 2007

Odelia - songs for a clownfish:I just picked this up Sunday after waiting on it for a bit and must say, I thoroughly reccomend this. It's perfect for rainy, gloomy day listening and they work some interesting ideas into the songs that are unlike your typical EITS clone. The second track in particular (4 feet of snow) features a trip hop type drum beat played live and matched up with beautiful chiming guitars that manage to give the song a swirling, almost oceanic quality. Definitely worth a listen.

Bethany Curve - You Brought Us Here: Also fits in with the swirly, oceanic shoegaze sound but manages to be very original nonetheless. The swirly guitar tone, chorusey and reverberated as it is, creates this thick, inescapable mass of guitar hum throughout. There is never a moment of silence here and one listen to it altogether feels like an extended trip. Just amazing stuff for the ears even if they missed the whole part about songwriting.

Codeine - The White Birch: What more can be said about this album that hasn't already been said. It's beautiful, majestic, sad. Perfect for feeling really uplifted (Sea, Tom) or very let down (Ides, Smoking Room)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
I'm still somewhat unclear on the definition of post-rock, but who cares, I'll list some favorites anyways (especially since I haven't seen any of them listed yet. That either means I'm super-awesome and better than everyone or I have crappy taste)

Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Towards the Sun
For some reason I got it into my head when I first got this album that they were Swedish, or from somewhere in that region. Googling for a picture of the album I noticed they were from LA. Oh well, close enough. They rock. I like this album so much more than anything EITS has ever done.

Maybeshewill - Japanese Spy Transcript EP
This is all I have of them, sadly only four songs. Still though, the first track on this EP is 2:21 of pure badass-ness, with the other three songs close behind. It's short and I wish I had more but they're definitely worth checking out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

joelcamefalling posted:

Tunturia - Maps

Tunturia manages to take a wide variety of post rock styles and meld them into something beautiful. Epic and crashing, yet quiet and introspective - much like JWE, they manage to compress everything into relatively short songs, yet still sound spacious.

Try: Cast Shadows on Clouds

This one, this is just fantastic. That's just the track I needed to hear.

I can't believe this thread's only been up for around 6 hours and I've already discovered 3 or 4 great new post-rock bands.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

...Of Sinking Ships strikes me as really over-produced and watered down. Good for one guy, but nowhere near the best the genre has to offer. Same goes for This Will Destroy You. Not my cup-o-tea I suppose.

Joy Wants Eternity, Red Sparowes, and Odelia all seem well worth the listen, though. Thanks for the recommendations.

It skirts the line (and is likely old news), but the Mysterious Skin Soundtrack might hit the spot for some of you. Harold Budd and Robin Guthrie deliver something between peaceful and deeply unsettling. Having seen the movie isn't a requirement, but it may...assist your mood.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

LethargicTheHutt posted:

It skirts the line (and is likely old news), but the Mysterious Skin Soundtrack might hit the spot for some of you. Harold Budd and Robin Guthrie deliver something between peaceful and deeply unsettling. Having seen the movie isn't a requirement, but it may...assist your mood.

I have no recollection of the soundtrack because I was too busy being completely creeped out by this movie. It was not anything that I was expecting (I don't know what I expected, actually... but I know it wasn't that).

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bucket Joneses posted:

I have no recollection of the soundtrack because I was too busy being completely creeped out by this movie. It was not anything that I was expecting (I don't know what I expected, actually... but I know it wasn't that).

To be honest, Im not even sure if it qualifies as post rock. Budd is an old electronic/new age guy, but I'm pretty sure you can call Guthrie P-R.

Continental is a good sampling of his dreamy, down-tempo stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mezzir posted:

I'm still somewhat unclear on the definition of post-rock, but who cares, I'll list some favorites anyways (especially since I haven't seen any of them listed yet. That either means I'm super-awesome and better than everyone or I have crappy taste)

Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Towards the Sun
For some reason I got it into my head when I first got this album that they were Swedish, or from somewhere in that region. Googling for a picture of the album I noticed they were from LA. Oh well, close enough. They rock. I like this album so much more than anything EITS has ever done.

Red Sparowes are a great band. If you like them it definitely wouldn't hurt to check out Russian Circles, which at times sounds like a harder Red Sparowes.
Actually, everyone check out Russian Circles. They've toured with Pelican and Mono so you know they're good.

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Red Sparowes are a great band. If you like them it definitely wouldn't hurt to check out Russian Circles, which at times sounds like a harder Red Sparowes.
Actually, everyone check out Russian Circles. They've toured with Pelican and Mono so you know they're good.

Russian Circles also just signed to Suicide Squeeze and are aiming to have their next record out some time in the spring. Enter was one of my favorite records of '06 so I can't wait to see what they put out this time around.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
There's a new album out from the loving awesome Shoegaze band Destroyalldreamers called Wish I Was All Flames. If there is a band that doesn't sound like EITS, it's these guys. They are very spacey and atmospheric but have an awesome loving bassist. Their site is http://www.destroyalldreamers.com/dad-en.html

I'm still letting the new album grow on me but their old album is simply spectacular. Probably the best post-rock I've listened to lately. The other album is called A Coeur Leger Sommeil Sanglant, something in French being that they're a French-Canadian band.

If anyone knows more stuff that sounds like this, please do tell!

If you're looking for particular songs to check out from this band, I recommend:
Facultatives imaginaires, en robe et en éclats and Swirling colours sink (which is in the link above)

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I've really gotten into The Ascent of Everest lately. They're from Murfreesboro, TN (just outside of Nashville) but even though I live close I've never been able to catch a show of theirs.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
I recently picked up the new iLiKETRAiNS record. It's pretty great. Continues their theme of basing all their songs on historical events. This time we're treated to the Great Fire of London, the Salem Witch Trails and the assassination of Spencer Perceval, among others.

Since moving to Australia I've also gotten very much into Laura, who are quite amazing and are playing Hi-Fi later this month!

And if you like them, then I guess I will also mention my latest discovery I Hear Sirens, found through The Silent Ballet. All I have from them is a bunch of demos, but they apparently released an EP not too long ago, which I plan to check out when I can.

Colt Reguery
Jun 18, 2006
RaT Boy tHe MusiCaL <'.'>
I know its probably been mentioned in the past but I'm currently in love with
Metallic Falcons - Dessert Doughnuts
Its quite sparse and atmospheric, and if you dont mind the slow preach-y singing then its worth its weight in golden ear wax

also here are some others that other people probably wont know of but are great local bands (local for me anyway)

Hooper's Store http://www.myspace.com/hooperstore jumpy guitar work stuff, pretty interesting
Radarmaker http://www.myspace.com/radarmaker somewhat standard fare EITS but with some spoken word (australian so if you're put off but the accent some songs may not work out great, it shocked me when i first heard them pop up)
Adam said Galore http://www.myspace.com/adamsaidgalore possibly not pure post-rock but still deserve mentions because they have their moments. rarely play live for some reason, but have been pretty great pioneers in Perth (woah.....i know)

Jaladar
Apr 20, 2007

How lonely sits the city.
The Ascent of Everest and Maybeshewill are fantastic but have already been mentioned so i won't reiterate too much.
One I didn't see though was Magyar Posse. Their latest album Random Avenger is really incredible and catchy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

Jaladar posted:

The Ascent of Everest and Maybeshewill are fantastic but have already been mentioned so i won't reiterate too much.
One I didn't see though was Magyar Posse. Their latest album Random Avenger is really incredible and catchy as hell.

Yeah these guys are right up there with Samuel Jackson Five in my mind. Since everyone is posting nice big cover art -

Magyar Posse - Random Avenger

These guys are really good. That's about all to say, check out this album. Energetic, driving post-rock. Their older album, Kings of Time, is extremely different, and is more of a traditional postrock slow burn, stretching a standard postrock cycle of swell and climax to the length of a whole disc. I like Random Avenger more, but Kings of Time is worth checking out.

Samuel Jackson Five - Easily Misunderstood

If you like postrock, or rock, or music, you need to get this. At the risk of gushing GBS-style hyperbole, this is an incredible album, and I think these guys are some of the biggest up-and-comers in postrock. It's been around since 2005, but a lot of people seemed to have missed this one. Just get it.