Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Now for something a little different:

Efterklang has vocals (choirs of them, actually) and no guitars, but still manages to call themselves Post Rock. Beautiful, ethereal choirs backed by horns, violins, pianos and at times a weird glitchy electronica feel. Check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKIl-NeZeE&eurl=http://www.efterklang.net/

And if you like that then visit the band's website at http://www.efterklang.net/
It's more on the soft Post-Rock side of things, though. I wonder how long it'll be before Post Rock starts getting subgenres.

And here's their trippy cover art so I can fit in:

Edit: I'm stupid. This cover art is actually off of Under Giant Trees, which came out earlier this year. Their latest, Parades came out 2 weeks ago. It was the first time I had heard of them and I almost instantly fell in love. The cover art for that is here:

It actually matches the style of that video I posted which is neat.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!
The only post-rock I really listen to is EitS, El Ten Eleven, and some TWDY. I tried listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F♯A♯∞ (that's pasted from wikipedia), and I really didn't enjoy the random sound effects and places where there's no music. Is any of their other stuff better?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

windwaker posted:

The only post-rock I really listen to is EitS, El Ten Eleven, and some TWDY. I tried listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F♯A♯∞ (that's pasted from wikipedia), and I really didn't enjoy the random sound effects and places where there's no music. Is any of their other stuff better?

Yanqui UXO has no samples so you might enjoy it. It's my fav GYBE album though F&c. is great too.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch
I really like the quieter calmer bands like Mono and the Album Leaf, are there any other bands who have a similar calming style?

I also like regular harder post-rock just not in the same places, and I can find plenty of that. It's the soft stuff that is so rare out there, every band wants to throw in climaxes constantly.

boating safety
Jan 3, 2001

Are you okay?
In response to referencing EiTS, I tend to do it a lot, just because many people I know have never heard the term post-rock, but they know EiTS.

I'd also like to second the Immanu El recommendation.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

windwaker posted:

You just might not like GY!BE because that essentially describes them in general. Try listening to one of their sideprojects like A Silver Mt. Zion.

handmeups
Oct 20, 2007

"All that I know about my life, it seems, I have learned in byob." - Jean-Paul Sartre

QVT posted:

I really like the quieter calmer bands like Mono and the Album Leaf, are there any other bands who have a similar calming style?

I also like regular harder post-rock just not in the same places, and I can find plenty of that. It's the soft stuff that is so rare out there, every band wants to throw in climaxes constantly.

Mono is definitely not quiet or calm. I think they're one of the loudest and most intense bands out there. So maybe you're listening with your volume low. And I actually mean that because their albums are mastered at a much lower (better, not compressed) level than most CD's today, so you may need to turn it up. That said, I suppose that listening at a lower volume can produce the quiet/calm effect, so you could try it with other bands too. But for a real example, I'm listening to Joy Wants Eternity and they seem pretty calm or "soft" regardless of volume. Also, Grails is a good band with a psychedelic bent and few noisy climaxes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

QVT posted:

Caspian can be really calming at times. Also, The Sea And Cake is wayyy relaxing, but I'm still not sure whether or not they're actually considered post-rock.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

QVT posted:

handmeups posted:

Mono is definitely not quiet or calm. I think they're one of the loudest and most intense bands out there.

For reals. Unless you're just not actually listening to Mono at all, it should be obvious that Mono are not calm. They're one of my favorite live bands of all time for just being so loud and thick. They totally put Pelican to shame in their tour.

albear fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 19, 2007

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

Hydrac7 posted:

For reals. Unless you're just not actually listening to Mono at all, it should be obvious that Mono are not calm. Their one of my favorite live bands of all time for just being so loud and thick. They totally put Pelican to shame in their tour.

This was my fault, I messed up on tagging the CDs as I put them in, and Caspian and Mono got mixed up. I'm just going to go hang my head in shame now.

I think I'll go listen to real Mono now while residing in shame.

handmeups
Oct 20, 2007

"All that I know about my life, it seems, I have learned in byob." - Jean-Paul Sartre

QVT posted:

This was my fault, I messed up on tagging the CDs as I put them in, and Caspian and Mono got mixed up. I'm just going to go hang my head in shame now.

I think I'll go listen to real Mono now while residing in shame.

Haha, well that explains it!

For more contributing etc.:

I'm sure we all know and love Mogwai, but I have to mention my favorite release of theirs in case anyone's overlooked it: My Father My King. It's one 20 min. song released on a CD single, and it's very intense and heavy. Also, for bonus points, it was engineered by Steve Albini.

One of my favorite CD's of the past couple years is Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain. Their sound is heavy metal, but the music stands with the best "post-rock". And the overrated Pelican doesn't compare with Agalloch.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

Ego Piano posted:

Samuel Jackson Five - Easily Misunderstood

If you like postrock, or rock, or music, you need to get this. At the risk of gushing GBS-style hyperbole, this is an incredible album, and I think these guys are some of the biggest up-and-comers in postrock. It's been around since 2005, but a lot of people seemed to have missed this one. Just get it.

This album is loving awesome. I don't necessarily know why it's always labeled post rock, though. A lot of it just sounds like straight out rock/jazz to me but what do I know. Another good band that isn't necessarily the same but also loving rocks is the Mercury Program and specifically their album All the Suits Began to Fall Off. Awesome stuff! Listen to Marianas, great song.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

Kerpal posted:

This album is loving awesome. I don't necessarily know why it's always labeled post rock, though. A lot of it just sounds like straight out rock/jazz to me but what do I know. Another good band that isn't necessarily the same but also loving rocks is the Mercury Program and specifically their album All the Suits Began to Fall Off. Awesome stuff! Listen to Marianas, great song.

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about in my earlier post. It is still considered post-rock, I think, just of a different flavor. If there was going to be a postrock sub-subgenre, this would be it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

QVT posted:

Top of this page.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Top of this page.

I sorta just stared at the awesome of their covers and didn't read anything about it. I'll look into it though, sounds different and I'll judge the album by it's cover and buy it.

And that video is awesome. I usually dislike music videos but that one is great. What artist does their stuff?

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.
I don't listen to a whole bunch of post-rock but what I've heard I've liked so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

I do have 1 recommendation though, since it's not already been posted in this thread.

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

I don't know how to describe it but the EP has 4 tracks, is over an hour long and blows my mind from start to finish.

CrazyCanuck
Sep 4, 2004

Well, this oughta be different.

leonje posted:

I don't listen to a whole bunch of post-rock but what I've heard I've liked so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

I do have 1 recommendation though, since it's not already been posted in this thread.

I don't know how to describe it but the EP has 4 tracks, is over an hour long and blows my mind from start to finish.

Enjoy Eternal Bliss is great

I've got to wonder though, if they consider it an EP, is their LP going to be 3 hours long? (I hope so)

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Eternal Bliss by Yndi Halda is amazing. Similar to EITS and yet so different at the same time. The end of the first track where it climaxes and the guys start singing/humming along is epic!

Femme by Force
Nov 10, 2004
Each individual sees a different reality.
Not too sure if this belongs in here but I just saw Do Make Say Think in San Francisco. Needless to say, it was an amazing show. They played both the songs that feature singing, a couple from & Yet & Yet, and a few others (the titles escape me). If you get an opportunity to see them, go. It's worth it.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

CrazyCanuck posted:

Enjoy Eternal Bliss is great

I've got to wonder though, if they consider it an EP, is their LP going to be 3 hours long? (I hope so)

I was reading up on this, actually. Here's what wiki says:

quote:

The title "EP" is often called into question due to the record's length. Indeed, only the UK edition of "Enjoy Eternal Bliss" was titled as such - in all other territories it was renamed as an LP or full-length album on behalf of the band.

Still, a 3 hour 2 CD album would be awesome.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Femme by Force posted:

Not too sure if this belongs in here but I just saw Do Make Say Think in San Francisco. Needless to say, it was an amazing show. They played both the songs that feature singing, a couple from & Yet & Yet, and a few others (the titles escape me). If you get an opportunity to see them, go. It's worth it.

Hey, I was there too. Amazing live band.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

QVT posted:

I sorta just stared at the awesome of their covers and didn't read anything about it. I'll look into it though, sounds different and I'll judge the album by it's cover and buy it.

And that video is awesome. I usually dislike music videos but that one is great. What artist does their stuff?

According to their homepage:

quote:

It is directed and designed by Hvass&Hannibal and UFEX
Which links to these sites:
http://www.myspace.com/hovedkontoret
http://www.myspace.com/ufex

Owl Meat
Nov 10, 2004

too high to wonder why

Ego Piano posted:

Samuel Jackson Five - Easily Misunderstood

If you like postrock, or rock, or music, you need to get this. At the risk of gushing GBS-style hyperbole, this is an incredible album, and I think these guys are some of the biggest up-and-comers in postrock. It's been around since 2005, but a lot of people seemed to have missed this one. Just get it.

Even though I only dabble in post-rock, I still count this among my favourite albums ever. It's well deserving of gushing hyperbole. The way the tracks flow into each other is just fantastic, and the random free jazz saxophone freakout on 'Person Most Likely To Enjoy The Taste Of Human Flesh' is flawless.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

So do we consider Menomena to be postrock? I'm undecided. On the one hand, they fit the textbook definition of "Traditional rock instrumentation used to create non-traditional rock music". On the other hand, they don't really sound like anything else out there. If they aren't postrock, I don't know what to call them, other than awesome. I am the fun blame monster! is actually their best disc, but I put up the picture for Friend and Foe because the art is so great.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

I like Menomena but I wouldn't really say they show qualities of post-rock. They just use really weird instrumentation.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

windwaker posted:

I like Menomena but I wouldn't really say they show qualities of post-rock. They just use really weird instrumentation.

They really don't, though. The core of the band is drums, guitar, vocals, piano, and sax, which I think still falls under standard rock instruments.

Or are we no longer using the Postrock definition of "traditional rock instrumentation making non-traditional rock music"? I'll admit it might be too broad, but I'd be a little saddened to see Postrock get refined into "music that sounds like EITS".

Oh well, it's always been a nebulous genre either way.

CrazyCanuck
Sep 4, 2004

Well, this oughta be different.
Is Sigur Ros still considered post-rock? If so, post-rock is definitely way more than bands who sound like EITS.

Bucket Joneses posted:

EDIT: Here's something I found that sort of helps out people who use last.fm charts and listen to a lot of long songs (re: post-rock): http://www.associativetrails.com/stuff/normalisefm//

This makes Godspeed jump 16 spots.

CrazyCanuck fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 5, 2007

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm seeing 65daysofstatic for the 5th time on Wednesday.

Supported by the mighty Youthmovie Soundtrack Strategies.

And Tired Irie.

I suggest you check them all out.

Colt Reguery
Jun 18, 2006
RaT Boy tHe MusiCaL <'.'>
Ah you must tell us how YMSS are! I found them a few years ago but they hadn't done much for a while until recently.

I also would like to thank everyone for making the Russian Circles suggestions. i grabbed their album over the weekend and its one of the best albums i've listened to this year! Blew me away considering how little i like/love songs and albums after one listen.

also another suggestion, i don't know how many people have heard of Lone Wolf and Cub (Not the story, not the hardcore band) but from what i've heard of their was excellent. (Sorry i don't know how popular they are so i hope they are worth thhe suggestion)

Also for a much more electronic post-rock feel, another Australian band, Pivot http://www.myspace.com/pivotpivot or http://www.virb.com/pivotpivot
they can be somewhat 'groovy' at times, but mostly filled with 'sparse landscapes' i guess, if you get my meaning, they are releasing a new album soon, but their first one was excellent.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

leonje posted:

Hells yes. Post rock is ALL about Yndi Halda now that Explosions have gone away, Godspeed are MIA and Mogwai is (awesomely) Autorock.

Enjoy Eternal Bliss is everything you could want in a PR album. Best thing since sliced bread/The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place/etc.

Just get the 3 track version ;)

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Ego Piano posted:

Magyar Posse - Random Avenger

These guys are really good. That's about all to say, check out this album. Energetic, driving post-rock. Their older album, Kings of Time, is extremely different, and is more of a traditional postrock slow burn, stretching a standard postrock cycle of swell and climax to the length of a whole disc. I like Random Avenger more, but Kings of Time is worth checking out.
I've been listening to Magyar Posse a lot too, lately. I only have their debut album, We Will Carry You Over The Mountains, which sounds a bit more subdued than the other stuff I have heard of them. Generally they feel really epic, almost GY!BE-like.

Here's two songs from Random Avenger that I really love, free download.
http://www.magyarposse.com/musat/mp_random%20avenger_whirlpool.mp3
http://www.magyarposse.com/musat/mp_random%20avenger_sudden_death.mp3

albear
Jun 7, 2001

After listening to the upcoming This Will Destroy You album, I can safely say it's pretty boring.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

Hydrac7 posted:

After listening to the upcoming This Will Destroy You album, I can safely say it's pretty boring.

Not surprising, they've always been on the cutting edge of making postrock boring and derivative.

I just got this in the mail, Qua's Painting Monsters on Clouds. While the track you can hear on Silent Ballet's first comp, Devil Eyes, is the showpiece of the album, the whole thing is worth looking into if you enjoy the sound of guys like The Books, but without all the sampling that that band is known for. Glitchy, twangy, atmospheric, ethereal.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Ego Piano posted:

They really don't, though. The core of the band is drums, guitar, vocals, piano, and sax, which I think still falls under standard rock instruments.

Maybe I'm mistaking something for something else, but don't they also use a bunch of weird synth effects and stuff?

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

windwaker posted:

Maybe I'm mistaking something for something else, but don't they also use a bunch of weird synth effects and stuff?

Most of their stuff is just instruments, and postrock is no stranger to effects anyway. That said, Menomena really does fit more in with just fairly novel indie rock. We still need a good definition of postrock, though.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Ego Piano posted:

Most of their stuff is just instruments, and postrock is no stranger to effects anyway. That said, Menomena really does fit more in with just fairly novel indie rock. We still need a good definition of postrock, though.

Menomena is really just a weird pop band imo. I mean, Muscle 'n Flow could be acoustic and played by any band, they just take it and make it really weird/awesome.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Last Post-Rock thread I complained that I hated the new Jesu and Pelican. After a couple of listens, the Pelican album City of Echoes really grew on me. I hated all their other material at first so I don't know why I thought I would like this right away. It's definitely a different sound, a lot less sludgey and more post-rock but they pull it off.

I still hate the new Jesu material though.

Sun RaHoWa
Aug 2, 2004

SAY WHAT YOU MEAN
:twisted: AND SAY IT MEAN :twisted:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Last Post-Rock thread I complained that I hated the new Jesu and Pelican. After a couple of listens, the Pelican album City of Echoes really grew on me. I hated all their other material at first so I don't know why I thought I would like this right away. It's definitely a different sound, a lot less sludgey and more post-rock but they pull it off.

I still hate the new Jesu material though.

Even Pale Sketches? I don't really like the split they did with Eluvium (holy christ that Eluvium track is the most boring 20 minutes I've ever sat through) or the Lifeline EP, but Pale Sketches is awesome. For the record, I also didn't enjoy Conqueror very much.

maws
Jan 9, 2006

is this how i byob
Thanks to everyone who recommended Red Sparowes, I'm absolutely loving At The Soundless Dawn. Going to check out Russian Circles too. :)

I can't remember if they've been mentioned in the thread already, but 65daysofstatic are a great pseudo-post rock band. They've got a lot of glitch and some electronica as well, so they're not so much traditional post rock. I recommend starting with their album The Fall Of Math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
By some stroke of luck, I discovered Aloha via their amazingly jazzy prog-and-post-esque debut ep, The Great Communicators, The Interpreters, The Nonbelievers EP. One particular track, "Gary's Narrator", weighs in at only two minutes, but I've been listening to it on repeat for the better part of four hours. They serve as an incredible break from my usual diet of Mogwai and other standbys -- fluid, evolving tunes that reach different peaks and aim for different styles on virtually every song.

Also, to hell with this thread. I'll be digging through almost all of it for the next however many days. I have work I should be doing, damnit.