Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

maws posted:

Thanks to everyone who recommended Red Sparowes, I'm absolutely loving At The Soundless Dawn. Going to check out Russian Circles too. :)

I can't remember if they've been mentioned in the thread already, but 65daysofstatic are a great pseudo-post rock band. They've got a lot of glitch and some electronica as well, so they're not so much traditional post rock. I recommend starting with their album The Fall Of Math.

Just got my copies of Fall of Math and One Time for All Time in the mail. :) I finally got sick of trying to find it in an actual store. I wish there was a vinyl version of Fall, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

typhus posted:

By some stroke of luck, I discovered Aloha via their amazingly jazzy prog-and-post-esque debut ep, The Great Communicators, The Interpreters, The Nonbelievers EP. One particular track, "Gary's Narrator", weighs in at only two minutes, but I've been listening to it on repeat for the better part of four hours. They serve as an incredible break from my usual diet of Mogwai and other standbys -- fluid, evolving tunes that reach different peaks and aim for different styles on virtually every song.

Also, to hell with this thread. I'll be digging through almost all of it for the next however many days. I have work I should be doing, damnit.

Double post but listening to this you'd probably like Minus the Bear, although this is getting less post-rock and more whatever the hell Minus the Bear is.

Tusk
Mar 9, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Ego Piano posted:

Samuel Jackson Five - Easily Misunderstood

If you like postrock, or rock, or music, you need to get this. At the risk of gushing GBS-style hyperbole, this is an incredible album, and I think these guys are some of the biggest up-and-comers in postrock. It's been around since 2005, but a lot of people seemed to have missed this one. Just get it.

This band is amazing, just discovered them a few days ago. Their mix of sound is intriguing and powerful.

Tusk
Mar 9, 2007

by Fistgrrl
What band could you recommend me with 'strong' post-rock sounds? I mean drum-charged and powerful post-rock albums or bands. I love EITS's 'The birth and death of day' and pretty much non-sleepy tracks. I've listened a Mogwai,EITS,The Samuel Jackson Five, Godspeed, This will destroy you and Sigur Ros among others and half of the music I find it boring.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Trip report: 65daysofstatic/Youthmovie Soundtrack Strategies/Tired Irie/Palmstruck, Manchester Academy 2, Wednesday 7th November.

The 5th time I've seen 65daysofstatic, and the move from the smaller room upstairs to the bigger room downstairs didn't bother them one bit.

Palmstruck were pretty cool, their guitarist had a Steve Vai theme going on, and he had the skills to back it up. Definitely recommend you give it a go. http://www.palmstruck.com/

Tired Irie are a name I've heard for ages now. Bandied about with the current UK indie scene, and friends of everyone from YMSS to Edmund Fitzgerald (RIP) and countless others. This was the first time I'd ever seen them before, or heard them at all, and it was pretty good. They had a disco-math rock theme going on. Definitely one to look out for soon. http://www.myspace.com/tiredirie

YMSS didn't disappoint, as usual. Andrew, their singer, recognised me from their gig a few weeks ago at the Night and Day cafe, and came over to say hello, which was nice of him. I finally got myself a tshirt after telling him I'd been putting it off for years. The best bit is that they are finally releasing an album early next year. About loving time...

65 were so awesome that my body aches from dancing so loving much. It was hands down the best gig of theirs I've been to, and I managed to get myself a set list to go with the drumstick I got from the last Manchester gig earlier this year. They turned some of the songs, Radio Protector in particular, into huge, hulking, drum and bass masterpieces. This culminated in members of all of the other bands from the evening getting on stage and dancing around. Then stage diving. Lots. Graham from YMSS nearly kicked me in the face.

I did get some pictures, but they're pretty boring, so I won't bother.

Tusk: You should check out some post-metal. Isis. Mouth of the Architect. Pelican. It sounds like you need some heavier stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thehustler posted:

Tusk: You should check out some post-metal. Isis. Mouth of the Architect. Pelican. It sounds like you need some heavier stuff.

Yeah, this. Also Cult Of Luna and Jesu. Maserati can be pretty heavy, too.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Check out the band North. I think they might be a goon band, but they have a nice sound that is somewhere between post-rock and post-metal.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hydrac7 posted:

Check out the band North. I think they might be a goon band, but they have a nice sound that is somewhere between post-rock and post-metal.

Oh yeah, them too. I have Ruins and it's a pretty good album.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was just going to recommend Maserati's new(ish) Inventions for the New Season. It's pretty driving and exciting throughout, and I like it a lot more than their other work.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Has anybody started listening to Alcest's new release "Souvenir's d'un autre Monde" ?

http://myspace.com/alcestmusic

It originally started out as a French black metal band but it has somehow evolved into something more shoegaze like with this release. I like it a lot - reminds me somewhat of God is an Astronaut.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

leonje posted:

I don't listen to a whole bunch of post-rock but what I've heard I've liked so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

I do have 1 recommendation though, since it's not already been posted in this thread.

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

I don't know how to describe it but the EP has 4 tracks, is over an hour long and blows my mind from start to finish.

Thank you.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

leonje posted:

I don't know how to describe it but the EP has 4 tracks, is over an hour long and blows my mind from start to finish.

Just picked up this album today and have already listened to the entire thing twice through, it's incredible. Sounds a lot like GY!BE but without the let down of a lovely climax. The end of Illuminate My Heart is about as epic as post rock can get.

Zoot Horn Rollo
Nov 13, 2007
I saw a bozo under the sea
Couple of local Scottish bands I'd like to toss into the post-rock mixer.

Gasgiant are an instrumental sextet from (mostly) Edinburgh. They have a slightly different sound due to one of the guitarists using a violin bow on her guitar which gives off a rather haunting effect.

http://www.myspace.com/gasgiant song to listen to: "Slo-core".

Seen them once and they blew me away.

Shutter are from Inverness and are another instrumental post-rock band. More straightforwardly rock than Gasgiant, they are very, very loud in person.

http://www.myspace.com/shutterscotland song to listen to: "Hope in the Skies".

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
Hey guys! The Pax Cecilia is a pretty decent postrock metal-ish band. Why am I posting this? Because if you go to their website, they are giving away their album for free - as in, you give them your mailing address and they will send it to you, free. While it's not the greatest thing I've ever heard, it's pretty good and has a fairly unique sound, and the price is right.

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

There are multiple bands named Mono, right? I mean, I remember this song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=V2aa1tEh82I from back in the day, and I can't imagine that being done by the same band that people describe as some of the hardest postrock they've ever heard.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
so are Shellac post-rock? I've been listening to Excellent Italian Greyhound a lot lately, great album. I had always thought of post-rock as being the kind of bands inspired by Slint and the like rather than the Godspeed/Explosions stuff.

Anyway, also been enjoying Pelican - City of Echoes and Cult of Luna - Salvation. And Isis, always Isis

Also seconding Efterklang, they're awesome, I have their record Tripper and it's really beautiful. Wouldn't have thought of them as post-rock, they're more like Air than they are Explosions in the Sky but hey, music is music.

On that note, how long before post-music is a genre?

edit: Also forgot to add Paik - been listening to them a fair bit lately, not seen them mentioned anywhere else in here, worth checking out.

duggimon fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 15, 2007

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

Has anybody started listening to Alcest's new release "Souvenir's d'un autre Monde" ?

http://myspace.com/alcestmusic

It originally started out as a French black metal band but it has somehow evolved into something more shoegaze like with this release. I like it a lot - reminds me somewhat of God is an Astronaut.

I really have to thank you for making me aware of that one. It's pretty much all I've listened to this week. Probably my favorite record of the year.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

Emmitt Nervend posted:

There are multiple bands named Mono, right? I mean, I remember this song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=V2aa1tEh82I from back in the day, and I can't imagine that being done by the same band that people describe as some of the hardest postrock they've ever heard.

There's two major ones and at least one other that I know of. The other big one is a British trip-hop act which I believe had a member of Massive Attack in it. There's also an Australian singer using the name, I believe.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

http://thesilentballet.com/dnn/ is a good site for post-rock reviews and news.

I've been listening to a lot of The Sea, Like Lead and Sparrows Swarm and Sing lately. Caspian and Giants are pretty good too.

AcrobaticTenement
Oct 24, 2006

Tuff Luff
Coming in here for yet another recommendation for SJ5. Easily Misunderstood is one of my favourite post-rock-y albums. Unimog and Michael Collins' autograph are phenominal songs. No excuse to not check these guys out.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!

leonje posted:

I don't listen to a whole bunch of post-rock but what I've heard I've liked so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

I do have 1 recommendation though, since it's not already been posted in this thread.

I just listened to this, and it's amazing. I can't stand GY!BE for reasons previously mentioned, but this is really excellent.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

windwaker posted:

I just listened to this, and it's amazing. I can't stand GY!BE for reasons previously mentioned, but this is really excellent.

I love GYBE but I rarely listen to F#A#. I think it's a brilliant album, but for I guess I don't listen to it as much because it has a lot more ambient parts and samples than the others. You really, really need to give them a chance. It took me a long time to finally listen to and appreciate Lift Your Skinny Fists..., but goddamn, I wish I had sooner. I don't think you can be a fan of post-rock and not like them, since most post-rock bands are derivative of what they did, and nobody who tries to emulate them surpasses them.

Listen to Yanqui U.X.O., then the Slow Riot EP, then Skinny Fists, and by then you will come to appreciate F#A#.

There is no better epic driving music than Yanqui U.X.O.

Zoot Horn Rollo
Nov 13, 2007

Tusk posted:

This band is amazing, just discovered them a few days ago. Their mix of sound is intriguing and powerful.

Maybe try up-c down-c left-c right-c abc+Start. They're a pretty generic post-rock band, but they're somewhat more aggressive than the likes of mogwai.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Human Lobster posted:

Even Pale Sketches? I don't really like the split they did with Eluvium (holy christ that Eluvium track is the most boring 20 minutes I've ever sat through) or the Lifeline EP, but Pale Sketches is awesome. For the record, I also didn't enjoy Conqueror very much.

I actually like Pale Sketches more than Conqueror and the EP. Still not as good as his old material, but I did like some of the tracks a lot.

And I've been listening to that Alcest album since August, it's great.

Juice Box
Nov 15, 2006

Yay for a new Post Rock thread!!

I have also been really digging the new This Will Destroy You album for awhile. Alongside the new Sigur Ros 2-disc set, of course.

I need to go through my library and post some new ideas for you guys to check out once I get home.

OiNK getting shut down really put a damper on my "discovering new and amazing post rock" routine though =/

Zoot Horn Rollo
Nov 13, 2007

Juice Box posted:

Yay for a new Post Rock thread!!

I have also been really digging the new This Will Destroy You album for awhile. Alongside the new Sigur Ros 2-disc set, of course.

I need to go through my library and post some new ideas for you guys to check out once I get home.

OiNK getting shut down really put a damper on my "discovering new and amazing post rock" routine though =/

afterthepostrock.com is a pretty useful site for people uploading post-rock albums, though. I had a post-rock blog stashed somewhere in my favourites. I'll see if I can dig that out, too.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
I'll second the recommendation of Laura - their latest album is really great. I've had it for a while now.

Apart from my somewhat timely discovery of Laura I don't know squat about this genre, which is kinda weird. I'm very slowly dipping my feet in. It's always really appealed to me but I've never known what bands I should be looking at. This thread's been a huge help. :)

I'm currently listening to the stuff on the Samuel Jackson Five's page and it's outstanding! Are there any "must have" albums I should know about? Not to base my tastes on what's already acclaimed but I need to start somewhere, and that's as good a place as any, no?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Goodpart posted:

I'll second the recommendation of Laura - their latest album is really great. I've had it for a while now.

Apart from my somewhat timely discovery of Laura I don't know squat about this genre, which is kinda weird. I'm very slowly dipping my feet in. It's always really appealed to me but I've never known what bands I should be looking at. This thread's been a huge help. :)

I'm currently listening to the stuff on the Samuel Jackson Five's page and it's outstanding! Are there any "must have" albums I should know about? Not to base my tastes on what's already acclaimed but I need to start somewhere, and that's as good a place as any, no?
Of the ones in my collection, these have best withstood the test of time:

-Mr Beast by Mogwai
-Any album by Godspeed You Black Emperor(Yanqui U.X.O. is my narrow favorite, but they are all uniformly excellent)
-Any album by Silver Mt. Zion (This Is Our Punk-Rock is my fave, but again all are good)
-Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky by Mono (personally, I like these guys better than explosions in the sky, although they sound similar).
-Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn by Do Make Say Think
-Valley of the Giants (self-titled)
-( ) by Sigur Ros
-Kicker in Tow by Hangedup

Depending on which you prefer, it should be pretty easy to draw comparisons to other works. Like if you prefer Godspeed's artsiness and use of samples, then there's Set fire to Flames for more of that. If you like the use of lyrics in Silver Mt. Zion, then Hrsta is a good second choice, etc.
Russian Circles are relatively similar to Sam Jackson Five, and they're quite good.

Also, whoever's looking for harder stuff, Hangedup probably counts as post-rock, and is extremely intense whatever the case. It's like a wall of chaotic sound, which is amazing since it's only two people. One on precussion and one on, I think, cello. Probably my favorite band overall.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 15, 2007

A Fistful of Owls
Sep 2, 2006

I remember the day you followed me home.
Really loving Yndi Halda, Efterklang, and Samuel Jackson Five.

I wish I could get my hands on the Immanu El album but I just can't justify the $26 price tag.

CrazyCanuck
Sep 4, 2004

Well, this oughta be different.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

-Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn by Do Make Say Think
-Valley of the Giants (self-titled)

Does Valley of the Giants sound like DMST?

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

ddonahue99 posted:

Listen to Yanqui U.X.O., then the Slow Riot EP, then Skinny Fists, and by then you will come to appreciate F#A#.

There is no better epic driving music than Yanqui U.X.O.

I'll give Yanbqui U.X.O. a try, at least.

Have any of you guys listened to any of the GY!BE related bands like 1-Speed Bike, A Silver Mt. Zion (well, actually I've seen this one mentioned a bunch), Esmerine, Et Sans, Fly Pan Am, hrsta, Molasses, or Set Fire to Flames?

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

windwaker posted:

Have any of you guys listened to any of the GY!BE related bands like 1-Speed Bike, A Silver Mt. Zion (well, actually I've seen this one mentioned a bunch), Esmerine, Et Sans, Fly Pan Am, hrsta, Molasses, or Set Fire to Flames?

They are all worth checking out. Silver Mt. Zion is probably the most "GSYBE-y" of the side projects. I really like 1-speed bike, as well, but as I said, they are all quality music and anyone with an ear for postrock will probably not regret checking them out.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CrazyCanuck posted:

Does Valley of the Giants sound like DMST?
You can definitely hear the influence, but they're really their own sound. They're quite heavily influenced by old western soundtracks, so I guess imagine them in a blender with Ennio Morricone: slower, and with a comfortable western twang.

Now that I think about it, the old-timey style almost makes them sound like a non-yiddish Black Ox Orkestar at some points.

Also, Ego Piano is correct. Each one of those groups is different, but they're usually similar to Godspeed in some way. Hrsta, Set Fire To Flames and Silver Mt. Zion are my personal favorites. (The album Stem Stem in Electro is awesome.)

I've only heard a few Molasses tracks, but I don't remember being too impressed. I think it was their vocalist.

Haplo26
Nov 16, 2007
Abberach
I just heard a french post-rocky band, Sharcut, http://www.sharcut.com/ , last night at a CD release. They were excellent, considering they only have three members.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
I've been enjoying the hell out of the shoegaze inspired heavier stuff like Jesu or the new Alcest. Heavy but melodic, I guess. What else is out there like this? Is the latest Pelican release worth taking a look at?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Oh hey, the new post-rock thread.

I've been listening to Kwoon for like a week now. Going to buy their album as soon as possible.

http://www.myspace.com/kwoonmusic

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

windwaker posted:

I'm not trying to show off or namedrop or anything, but listen to Ego Piano. I have every constellation release and they are all different and awesome. Fly Pan Am is awesome spacey rock music, Hrsta is classic, all the polmo polpo related projects are great (sandro perri, glissandro70, etc.)

I suggest going on the constellation website and just going through every release.

kirkjames fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 4, 2007

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

kirkjames posted:

I'm not trying to show off or namedrop or anything, but listen to Ego Piano. I have every constellation release and they are all different and awesome. Fly Pan Am is awesome spacey rock music, Hrsta is classic, all the polmo polpo related projects are great (sandro perri, glissandro70, etc.)

I suggest going on the constellation website and just going through every release.

Yeah, I had sort of forgotten about this thread but I checked out Yanqui U.X.O. and man, I usually don't "get" a lot of the music I hear from these threads the first time through, but the first track on that album evoked a ton of emotion in me which barely happens unless I'm really really into the music. It was devastating when those violins come in playing the dissonance. I'll have to go back through Godspeed's stuff and then check out all these great sideprojects.

You have every constellation release? That's insane.

edit: upon further listening, I almost don't even enjoy listening to this album it's so draining.

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 4, 2007

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yay, my favorite thread :dance:

I have ...Of Sinking Ships' self-titled album in my CD alarm clock and I've woken up to it every morning for the past week or so. I love it. It's a very relaxing first thing to hear when you get up to start a new day.

Also, I found Souvenir's Young America through The Silent Ballet, and An Ocean Without Water is one hell of an album.

All the tracks seem to be variations of each other, but it works because the base formula is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldr
Aug 3, 2007
Son of Odin
Can anyone comment on the quality of Mono's "The Sky Remains the Same as Ever" DVD? I was thinking of purchasing it.