Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

kirkjames posted:

God Bless Our Dead Marines is off Horses in the Sky, and are you sure those songs might not be alternate titles to older songs? Godspeed and Constellation Records in general loves to do this.

I forgot about Horses, I thought it was the same version they played on NY radio, but I just listened to the two and it isn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHtOfhTs6lg

An excerpt from War Radio. garygxx is right, from the tour with HangedUp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

windwaker posted:

Sorry, I haven't listened to Mono and didn't enjoy F#A#; I know that might be hard for you to understand but not everyone is a carbon copy of you. :(

I can see how that could be seen as tongue in cheek (you could say that about any non metal band that uses that as their album cover), but they haven't really done anything satirical in the past so there's really nothing that blatantly indicates that. I thought it was just tacky like Bliggers- said. Please stop trying to create a post-rock thread circle jerk and get out if you have nothing to contribute. :rolleyes:

FWIW, F#A# isn't my favorite godspeed album, either. I like 'Lift Your Skinny Fists' best (particularly 'Static'), and the critical darling 'Slow Riot' is great, too. That said, though, they're certainly not sample-free, and I don't dislike F#. Maybe GYBE just isn't for you; nothing wrong with that. You really should check out Mono, though; they don't have a weak album in the bunch. I wouldn't start with the dvd -- I haven't seen it, but given complaints about the audio, and how thick their sound is, it could make for a poor introduction. Maybe start with 'Under the Pipal Tree', it's a bit more immediately accessible. They do only get better from there, but the sound definitely gets deeper.

TWDY cover: There's nothing that indicates that? There's not one, but three animals, and one is being struck by lightning. Yeah, they haven't been known for satire in the past, but nor have they been known for being earnestly tacky as gently caress.

Haven't gone through the entire thread yet, but thanks already to whoever recommended te' and yndi halda. SJ5 is quirky and catchy, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Haha, sweet. My mom just realized she forgot to check the mail yesterday and handed me a package from The Pax Cecilia. They sent me the free CD. Bitchin'.

I really like the artwork:

dingolord
Sep 26, 2004

I've been following Tortoise, The Sea and Cake, Volta Do Mar and some others for a while now, but can't seem to get into a lot of the other 'post rock'. I'm not so much into the EitS sound. I suppose I'm looking for something a more dynamic and less epic wall of soundish and with more of a beat. Any recommendations?

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

dingolord posted:

I've been following Tortoise, The Sea and Cake, Volta Do Mar and some others for a while now, but can't seem to get into a lot of the other 'post rock'. I'm not so much into the EitS sound. I suppose I'm looking for something a more dynamic and less epic wall of soundish and with more of a beat. Any recommendations?

I suppose all of the older post rock bands, Stereolab, Cul de Sac, Talk Talk, and then stuff like early Mogwai and Do Make Say Think should be good.

Although I guess Mogwai kind of pioneered that whole epic wall of sound thing so maybe not them.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

dingolord posted:

Tulsa Drone, As the Poets Affirm, Do Make Say Think

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I've been listening to far too much Caspian, The Six Parts Seven and Kwoon as of late. :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Reviving this thread with pics of my new TWDY stuff that came today:

Sorry about the lovely lighting.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh god that is awesome.

Also, EITS tomorrow night in Manchester :D

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ah that's fantastic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Wreck posted:

Ah that's fantastic.

I'm going to wear it everywhere :3:

killallnerds
Nov 22, 2007
I've been a huge fan of a band called The Timeout Drawer for the last couple of years.

You can get a few tracks free at their Last.fm page here: http://www.last.fm/music/The+Timeout+Drawer ; (it should be obvious which ones you can download). I recommend "Bursting with Tears..." and "Man Must Breathe" if you only want to listen to a couple of tracks to start with. That first one has a hell of an emo title, but don't worry - it'll knock your loving socks off.

Then download the other two from this EP: http://www.last.fm/music/The+Timeout+Drawer/Alone+EP.

That EP is their latest release and came out in the spring of 2006. Think they've been mostly touring and stuff since then. drat, it's time these guys released some new material.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Late to the discussion, but Te's Sore wa... is incredible and quickly became one of my favorite Post Rock albums. I think it's the guitar sound really; the sound especially on track 9 (Naniro no...) is amazing. It starts with ethereal echos and progresses to emotional wailing guitars, I love it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Reviving this thread with pics of my new TWDY stuff that came today:

Sorry about the lovely lighting.

I've heard about people getting their CDs already. I imagine the orders that include the LP are taking longer because the records aren't ready yet or something. Or maybe someone just stole mine from my front door.

Also: I finally authored a DVD of the 65daysofstatic show I filmed in August. It's on The Traders Den if you want a DVD or you can just stream it on google video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4052256735921093927

OMG
Jul 14, 2007
For some reason I thought the new TWDY album was already out when I was in the States back in December. Apparently I was wrong. I guess I'll have to order it.. somewhere soon.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bucket Joneses posted:

I've heard about people getting their CDs already. I imagine the orders that include the LP are taking longer because the records aren't ready yet or something. Or maybe someone just stole mine from my front door.

Also: I finally authored a DVD of the 65daysofstatic show I filmed in August. It's on The Traders Den if you want a DVD or you can just stream it on google video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4052256735921093927

I pre-ordered mine back in December and read soon after that on their MySpace blog that everyone would get their orders before the street date of January 29th. A week or two ago when I hadn't yet received my order, I questioned whether it would come or not, so I emailed Magic Bullet and they said that they had just gotten the shirts in a couple days earlier and mailed everything out as quickly as possible. I received my stuff a day or two after I emailed them.

So yeah, it's probably just that they took a while to manufacture.

Also, the setlist for that 65dos show looks awesome :) Gonna watch it now.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Bucket Joneses posted:

Good lad!

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!
e:.

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 27, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

windwaker posted:

Just think of the misconceptions people will have about your personality/what that actually is. :(

Sadly, this is true and already happening :smith:

I went over to a friend's house last night and I was wearing that. His other friend was there, too, and he's into a lot of music, but apparently not this kind. He asked me what the gently caress This Will Destroy You was, and I told him it was post-rock. He responded "Is that like prog rock? Also, why the gently caress's there a wolf and an eagle on that shirt?"

PEOPLE JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

windwaker posted:

Just think of the misconceptions people will have about your personality/what that actually is. :(

Maybe you can buy one and make a purse out of it to carry your post-wallet in.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

e.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

windwaker posted:

It looks like something a prog rock band would put out, yeah. My post-wardrobe (god I'm gay for saying that) is greatly restricted to EitS shirts because I'm afraid of all the possible confrontations ("Godspeed You! Black Emperor? Is that some kind of christian hardcore band?"). I still love TWDY. :(

If you're so overly concerned that people might pass judgment on you for the various ways people express themselves, perhaps you could just stop posting on the internet instead of avoiding shirts by bands you like?

Also,

windwaker posted:

Yeah, that shirt is way more classy than that goon made wallet. :laugh:

I propose that this may in fact be the case.

Lasek
Apr 22, 2006

Zoot Horn Rollo posted:

Oceansize always remind me of Aerogramme, but just nowhere near as good.

Came across some don't mess with texas and to be a high powered executive today. I enjoyed both bands.

Wow, complete opposite here. Oceansize are the best sound I've heard and Aerogramme felt like a really cheap imitation. What's the best Aerogramme record?

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Lasek posted:

Wow, complete opposite here. Oceansize are the best sound I've heard and Aerogramme felt like a really cheap imitation. What's the best Aerogramme record?

All of them are different but it's a tie for me with A Story in White and Sleep and Release. They also did a great fishtank split with Isis that I recommend.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
I finally fixed a problem with my turntable so I decided to give it a whirl this afternoon. Put on side A of All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone and knew I had it loud but didn't really realize just how loud until that first big boom, at which point I thought my heart was going to stop, and one of my roommates came downstairs to tell me the entire house was shaking.

I turned the volume down a touch and switched off the button on my amp labelled "super bass". I really do love when things like that are totally unambiguous. There's very little question about what a button with that label is going to do.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
For people who are less into the EiTS-style post-rock and more into the other, more eclectic sounds that get lumped-in with them, check out Long Fin Killie's first album, Houdini. It's kind of a bizarre mix of post-punk, celtic music, and ambient post-rock like Bark Psychosis. And loving Mark E. Smith of the Fall guests on a track, which means it's raw.

Also, has anyone reccommended Pygmalion by Slowdive yet? I mean I know they're technically a shoegaze band, but that album is beautiful beautiful Ambient Pop (which is what I consider a lot of post-rock to be anyway). It came out before Post-Rock had been quasi-defined and so I really think it could fit in between Talk Talk and Slint.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

e:.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I also just found out that the three-cam of EITS I helped film/tape is online now. You can stream it all on google video too: http://firmdragon.blogspot.com/

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I'm listening to the TWDY disc for the first time through right now, and so far it's fantastic.

They should play Chicago soon :(

Xansabar
Jan 12, 2006

Old sun and stars,
And oceans below me
Chiming in with the This Will Destroy You love...Young Mountain is one of my top 5 post-rock cds ever, hands down. I think The World Is Our _______ has to be my favorite post-rock song ever.

Now I just have to play the waiting game for their new LP and shirt to hit my door...

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

windwaker posted:

Things more shameful than that t-shirt according to goons:
- my wallet
- the internet

You seem to forget that he did actually have the problem I expected. But whatever, this isn't the fashion forum/thread (yet).

Having someone make incorrect assumptions about a shirt and being called out for taking precautions to avoid clothing that someone might make an incorrect assumption about are different things.

If you're worried about how people will react to you wearing a t-shirt to the point you avoid shirts then you should probably be worried about other ways people can judge you. For example, the words you write and post on the internet.

I mean, I assume from those words that you're ignorant-trend whore with no opinions that weren't lifted from various wikipedia entries. That's worse than having people think you're into christian hardcore bands isn't it? Maybe I just don't get the joke.

But since this isn't the fashion forum and there's already a hell dump thread starring windwaker, I'll contribute to this thread in a meaningful way.

The Swedish band Aerial is pretty awesome and I don't recall seeing them mentioned around these parts.

They land somewhere between Sonic Youth and your typical EitS influenced stuff. I really liked last year's "The Sentinel" and their new EP, "The Legion of Dynamic Dischord" still sounds great after a few listens. Apparently the EP is part of a series of three the band hopes to release this year.

Check it out at Aerial.se

citizenlowell fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 7, 2008

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
A few things I have recently discovered and think you should all listen to after you finish bitching about the new TWDY cover (which, for the record, loving rules):

Angel Eyes - ...and for A Roof A Sky Full of Stars EP
Two songs, 27 minutes of heavy epic awesomness with about 4 lines of growled vocals that perfectly complement the music.

Plus the most kickass cover seen in a while.

listen to: One

Johnnytwentythree - JXXIII
Epic is the word you are looking for. Take some later day EITS, throw in some Mogwai dynamics and some long (7, 12, 15, 20 minute) songs which flow beautifully. Very highly recommended.

listen to: Fall Of Swords

SlowlyChoking posted:

1 Mile North

hells yes. I got 1 Mile North from eMusic (oh, how I miss you eMusic) and was blown away. Black Lines is one of my favourite sample-driven postrock songs ever.

Also, I am seeing EITS next Friday night in Sydney. gently caress I cant wait. My first post rock show!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

joelcamefalling posted:

Angel Eyes - ...and for A Roof A Sky Full of Stars EP
Two songs, 27 minutes of heavy epic awesomness with about 4 lines of growled vocals that perfectly complement the music.

Plus the most kickass cover seen in a while.

listen to: One

This is awesome :)

I'm listening to it now and I love it. I think I'm digging Two more than One, though.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

edit

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
I don't think you understand what tongue-in-cheek means. Every time you post I know I am in store for some comedy.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
I for one always judge others based solely on the t-shirt they are wearing.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

This is awesome :)

I'm listening to it now and I love it. I think I'm digging Two more than One, though.

yeah, (two) rocks. Especially the part around 4:30.

Makes me realise that there is a place for vocals in postrock. Or at least some agression, we cant listen to Elvium all the time :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

joelcamefalling posted:

Makes me realise that there is a place for vocals in postrock. Or at least some agression, we cant listen to Elvium all the time :)

This reminds me, have y'all heard of Red Room Cinema?

I read about them yesterday on The Silent Ballet and headed on over to their MySpace. They're incredible. Moonrace and Exalted In The Technique are two of the greatest songs I've heard in a long time.

They have vocals, but I think they fit perfectly with the whole atmosphere of the songs.

I meant to order their CD, but it slipped my mind, so I'll do it sometime later today.

buttmaster
Jan 22, 2005

dingolord posted:

I don't know if everyone knows them or not... but Slint are the first and, coincidentally, best post-rock band. What's more, they fit your description perfectly with some awesome rhythm/percussion - if you don't have it, get "Spiderland" asap and listen to it until the cd biodegrades. Dave Pajo from Slint went on to do Tortoise, and his other projects Papa M and For Carnation are also poo poo hot. Pajo's style is amazing.

Is Battles post-rock? Math-rock? Whatever it is, it's what 65daysofstatic should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

Nikesh posted:

I don't know if everyone knows them or not... but Talk Talk are the first and, coincidentally, best post-rock band.

Fixed!