Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

npe
Oct 15, 2004

Victor posted:

This technique can be extremely performant (yes, that's becoming a word, deal with it grammar Nazis). I can bulk insert tens of thousands of rows per second into a single-socket, quad-core SQL Server. If we had gigabet network, I wouldn't be surprised if I could get it up to hundreds of thousands of rows per second. In contrast, inserting rows one by one is much slower.

Well sure, once you already have the data inserted into the temp table this is true. The most common thing, however, is that you are trying to insert new data, in which case you are probably not getting a benefit because you still have to get the data inserted into the temp table somehow, either through row-by-row inserts or some bulk loading process (which could be done to the actual table anyways). Overall inserting the data directly will be faster if you don't have to transform it first.

The exception I know of offhand is with something Oracle has called an external table. This is where you take a text file and drop it on the local disk of the database, and then create a table using special syntax so that it reads the file directly as a table. Then you can INSERT SELECT from this table directly, and it essentially avoid the original insert operations (since it's doing a direct read from the file). However this approach has it's own problems, not the least of which is figuring out a good method for dropping off files securely on your database server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
Doing a bulk insert into SQL Server with the utility bcp, inserting into a temporary table and then transforming it and inserting it into a permanent table, is still much faster than doing one-by-one inserts into the permanent table. At least, that's the way it is with SQL Server. If you don't need to do any keying (transforming a string such as "Mammography" to the ID of the row in some "dictionary" table that contains that code), then yes, you can insert directly into the permanent table. However, if you need to do transforms, and the permanent table has indexes on columns needing transforms, it will most definitely be faster to use a temporary table. Sometimes one must use a temporary table: what if the permanent table has a column for the ID for the code but not the code itself? (E.g. procedure_fk, which points to a Procedure record (id: 1, description: "Mammography"). Yes, I've been looking at a lot of hospital data lately.)

SQL Server has an analog to your Oracle example: OPENROWSET.

npe
Oct 15, 2004

Victor posted:

If you don't need to do any keying (transforming a string such as "Mammography" to the ID of the row in some "dictionary" table that contains that code), then yes, you can insert directly into the permanent table. However, if you need to do transforms, and the permanent table has indexes on columns needing transforms, it will most definitely be faster to use a temporary table. Sometimes one must use a temporary table: what if the permanent table has a column for the ID for the code but not the code itself? (E.g. procedure_fk, which points to a Procedure record (id: 1, description: "Mammography"). Yes, I've been looking at a lot of hospital data lately.)

I think we're saying the same exact thing.. it's not faster if you just want to load the data as is, but if you need to transform the data first it can help.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
There's also the issue of needing to verify data integrity/quality before you shove it in a production table.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Triple Tech posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Can INSERT insert multiple rows? So are you INSERTing the SELECTion of the temporary table into the main table?

I have no idea what you're TRYing to ask. I really don't think you're asking if INSERT can do this?
code:
INSERT INTO dbo.WhatTheFuckAreYouTalkingAbout (column1, column2, column3)
SELECT column1,
       column2,
       column3 
FROM   ##myHotGlobalTempTable
Because of course it can.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 20, 2007

stevefukkinc
Oct 10, 2004
TUB-THUMPING,
PAROCHIAL
McKNOB

Victor posted:

There's also the issue of needing to verify data integrity/quality before you shove it in a production table.

Very, very true. Keep an eye out for fields being cropped and row separators not performing correctly. I use the BCP tool a fair amount in ASE and SQL2005, I would recommend always using a format file rather than the -c switch. It's slight more laborious but it's helpful when you are trying to import a CSV (or what have you) that was supplied rather than generated personally.

Also, when working in Sybase IQ, the LoadTable command is a total bitch, try and avoid where at all possible.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
PDO/MySQL question:

If I'm executing the following query: SELECT id, name, detail FROM user WHERE detail = :filter LIMIT 0, 25 is there an easy way to get the total number of results or know if there are more than 25 for pagination without running the query twice, one time without the LIMIT portion and just doing a SELECT COUNT(id) FROM user WHERE detail = :filter?

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

fletcher posted:

PDO/MySQL question:

If I'm executing the following query: SELECT id, name, detail FROM user WHERE detail = :filter LIMIT 0, 25 is there an easy way to get the total number of results or know if there are more than 25 for pagination without running the query twice, one time without the LIMIT portion and just doing a SELECT COUNT(id) FROM user WHERE detail = :filter?

Meet your new friend SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS !!!

http://www.arraystudio.com/as-workshop/mysql-get-total-number-of-rows-when-using-limit.html

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
Anyone familiar with bulk imports in Sybase? Can I create a table and then use bcp to just tell me the format file for bcp, then use that format file to import more data? Totally new to how all this stuff works...

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Alex007 posted:

http://www.arraystudio.com/as-workshop/mysql-get-total-number-of-rows-when-using-limit.html

Is there an easy way to use this with PDO?

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz

Alex007 posted:

Will you be my best friend? This is news to me and makes my life a happier one

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Is there a way to programmatically detect the existance of a table, to let's say conditionalize running a create (create if not exist)? This is Sybase I'm working on. Apparently there are stored procedures that list out all the tables, and I guess I could parse those... Are those stored procedures made by my coworkers or are those Sybase built ins?

m5
Oct 1, 2001

Triple Tech posted:

Is there a way to programmatically detect the existance of a table, to let's say conditionalize running a create (create if not exist)? This is Sybase I'm working on. Apparently there are stored procedures that list out all the tables, and I guess I could parse those... Are those stored procedures made by my coworkers or are those Sybase built ins?

Isn't there a "sysobjects" table, or something like that? That's what we do in SQL Server.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES might exist.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Is there an SQL way to programmatically do this or will I just use Perl to parse the output of some lookup command to see if there's a table? And then conditionalize the running of that CREATE sql?

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
Did you try
code:
select * from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES
?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Sybase is very similiar to SQL Server. (SQL Server descends from Sybase if I remember it right). Querying against sys_objects would be your best bet.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

imBen posted:

I have no idea what you're TRYing to ask. I really don't think you're asking if INSERT can do this? ... Because of course it can.

I've never done a lot of INSERT work so I guess I never learned... :blush:

m5 posted:

Isn't there a "sysobjects" table, or something like that? That's what we do in SQL Server.

Yes! This worked. I can just select the name from that table and parse that in Perl space...

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!
Counting from joined tables can't be this retarded, I must be doing something wrong.

What I'm trying to do here is count the rows in the activity table that have a created_on greater than the updated_at in the reports table (All activity after the report was updated basically).

Table structure should be pretty obvious, all you need to know is that
reports has: id, created_on, updated_at
and
activity has: id, created_on, report_id

code:
SELECT   R.*,
         IF(A.TIMES_DOWNLOADED IS NULL,0,A.TIMES_DOWNLOADED)  AS TIMES_DOWNLOADED
FROM     REPORTS AS R
         LEFT JOIN (SELECT   REPORT_ID,
                             COUNT(REPORT_ID)  AS TIMES_DOWNLOADED
                    FROM     ACTIVITY AS A
                             INNER JOIN REPORTS AS R
                               ON R.ID = A.REPORT_ID
                    WHERE    A.CREATED_ON > R.UPDATED_AT
                    GROUP BY REPORT_ID) AS A
           ON R.ID = A.REPORT_ID
ORDER BY R.UPDATED_AT DESC,
         R.CREATED_ON DESC
This query does everything I want but it's ugly as sin. Please give me a better way to do this so I can get rid of this mess of joins.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Alex007 posted:

Hmm, I tried this, but every time I do a SELECT FOUND_ROWS() it always comes back with 1, even though the query where I put SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS into returns > 1 rows

Land Mime
Jul 13, 2007
Love never blows up and gets killed

fletcher posted:

Hmm, I tried this, but every time I do a SELECT FOUND_ROWS() it always comes back with 1, even though the query where I put SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS into returns > 1 rows

If your not already, try using the command line client instead of something like mysql query browser.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Land Mime posted:

If your not already, try using the command line client instead of something like mysql query browser.

Works fine from the command line. Returns 1 when trying to do it with PDO and PHP.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
Scarboy, I'd suggest doing a subquery, unless you found the performance prohibitive. Are you using MySQL? If so, you can use the ability to select non-aggregated fields that weren't grouped by to your advantage (note the use of coalesce):
code:
select   r.*,
         times_downloaded = coalesce(count(a.report_id), 0)
from     Reports r
left join Activity a on 
         a.report_id = r.id
     and a.created_on > r.updated_at
group by r.id
order by r.updated_at desc,
         r.created_on desc
Strictly speaking, everything in r should be grouped by. However, grouping by the id (assuming it is unique) effectively does that.

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!
Oh gently caress I'm an idiot. I completely forgot that I could put conditions in the on clause. That makes my life so much easier, thanks for reminding me about that!

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Hi everyone,

I have a database is dumped every day and sent via ftp to another server. Sometimes I would like to open this sqldump and make a few queries on, but I don't want it to overwrite the current database. I saw that you can dump the sqldump back into the same database but I was unsure because I didn't want to overwrite the data. Is there a way I can open an sqldump file and perform some basic queries on it without it overwriting the main db?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Twlight posted:

Hi everyone,

I have a database is dumped every day and sent via ftp to another server. Sometimes I would like to open this sqldump and make a few queries on, but I don't want it to overwrite the current database. I saw that you can dump the sqldump back into the same database but I was unsure because I didn't want to overwrite the data. Is there a way I can open an sqldump file and perform some basic queries on it without it overwriting the main db?

Can you send it to a server that has its own instance of sql running (ie doesn't have the operational db you're using)?

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
I'll probably make a thread on it one of these days, but for now: Using LINQ in SQLCLR.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
code:
SELECT	COUNT(comment.id),
		picture.id
FROM	picture
JOIN	comment ON 
		picture.id = comment.pictureId 
WHERE	picture.owner = :id
GROUP BY	comment.pictureId
Why is this not returning the correct count? It's close, but still a few off for each picture. Am I grouping by the wrong column?

m5
Oct 1, 2001

fletcher posted:

code:
SELECT	COUNT(comment.id),
		picture.id
FROM	picture
JOIN	comment ON 
		picture.id = comment.pictureId 
WHERE	picture.owner = :id
GROUP BY	comment.pictureId
Why is this not returning the correct count? It's close, but still a few off for each picture. Am I grouping by the wrong column?

What happens when you group on "picture.id"? (What DBMS is that?)

noonches
Dec 5, 2005

It represents my lifestyle and stratus as a street savy irreverent youth, who lives large, and yet hungers for the next level in life.
It would seem that based on your query, you want multiple rows for one picture, each with a different comment, and get a count on a grouping of comments by the picture ID, if that makes any sense and I'm right, a LEFT JOIN should return one picture with many comments.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

m5 posted:

What happens when you group on "picture.id"? (What DBMS is that?)

Returns the same thing. I'm using MySQL5

noonches posted:

It would seem that based on your query, you want multiple rows for one picture, each with a different comment, and get a count on a grouping of comments by the picture ID, if that makes any sense and I'm right, a LEFT JOIN should return one picture with many comments.

Nah I don't want any of the actual comments, just how many there are for that picture id.

noonches
Dec 5, 2005

It represents my lifestyle and stratus as a street savy irreverent youth, who lives large, and yet hungers for the next level in life.

fletcher posted:

Nah I don't want any of the actual comments, just how many there are for that picture id.

But thats what I meant, just one item in the pictures table, multiple times, matched to different rows from the comments table each time, then grouped by the item from the pictures table to get a count of items from the comments table.

So basically your same query with a LEFT JOIN.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
fletcher, unless I'm blind, that code should work. Perhaps you could provide code for creating the picture and comment tables with enough sample data to demonstrate the problem?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Victor posted:

fletcher, unless I'm blind, that code should work. Perhaps you could provide code for creating the picture and comment tables with enough sample data to demonstrate the problem?

Ahhh I'm retarded, my data got hosed up when I loaded it. The query works fine. I suck.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

This week at work reviewing some code I saw the worst SQL statement in history. It was 350 lines long and had 7 selects in it. It UNION ALL'ed then SELECT DISTINCT'ed off the union.

I took the first query, the main one, changed two joins to left outer joins, and deleted the next 300 lines of code.

For fucks sake people, learn to use non-full/inner/equal joins.

See this or, this for more information.

Xae fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 31, 2007

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Xae posted:

For fucks sake people, learn to use non-full/inner/equal joins.

I think my favorite was something I had found that was written to generate some kind of drop down menu. it was something to the effect of

code:
BEGIN TRAN

SELECT Option1,
       Option2,
       Option3
FROM   SomeTable

END TRAN

Bitruder
Nov 29, 2003

Majoring in connect the dots and colouring
I have a table called "types" and a table called "items". Each item row is linked to a type row via a type ID number. I want to select every row in "types" and add on a column that returns the number of items that use that type. How can I do this? I've been experimenting with subqueries and joins but I can't get anything working.

Thanks! (I'm using mySQL 4.1)

Land Mime
Jul 13, 2007
Love never blows up and gets killed

Bitruder posted:

I have a table called "types" and a table called "items". Each item row is linked to a type row via a type ID number. I want to select every row in "types" and add on a column that returns the number of items that use that type. How can I do this? I've been experimenting with subqueries and joins but I can't get anything working.

Thanks! (I'm using mySQL 4.1)

You're looking for the GROUP BY and COUNT keywords. Your query would probably look something like

code:
SELECT `types`.`id`, COUNT(`items`.`id`)
FROM `types`
LEFT JOIN `items` ON `types`.`id` = `items`.`type_id`
GROUP BY `type_id`;

Bitruder
Nov 29, 2003

Majoring in connect the dots and colouring
Thanks for the previous reply!

Another question:
The following works fine when the subqueries only return 1 item, but when a subquery returns more than 1 items, I'd like to have all the results work by ORing them together, but it errors out now. Is there a way to treat multiple subquery rows as ORs?
code:
SELECT * FROM entries 
WHERE ID = (SELECT entryID FROM metadata 
                        WHERE fieldID = (SELECT ID FROM metafields WHERE name=:name))
EDIT:
SOLVED! Instead of =, I want "IN".

Bitruder fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

code:
SELECT * FROM entries 
WHERE ID = (SELECT entryID FROM metadata 
                        WHERE fieldID = (SELECT ID FROM metafields WHERE name=:name))
Isn't that the same as

code:
SELECT	*
FROM	entries
    INNER JOIN metadata ON metadata.entryID = entries.ID
    INNER JOIN metafields ON metafields.ID = metadata.fieldID
WHERE	metafields.name = :name
It seems like you are using sub-queries instead of just doing a join, unless my still hung-over rear end is missing something.