Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
1) When should business logic be written at the database level versus the programming language level? Or is it something like "always in the DB unless you can't"?

2) My coworker just told me of this technique I've never heard before, so I wanted to know how common place it is. When importing a set of data, like many rows, you create a temporary table that's the same as the table you want to insert the stuff into, then you use some crazy SQL command to import the stuff en masse, and then delete the temporary table. True? What crazy command is this? And you wouldn't just loop over the stuff and INSERT each row/item?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Can INSERT insert multiple rows? So are you INSERTing the SELECTion of the temporary table into the main table?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Anyone familiar with bulk imports in Sybase? Can I create a table and then use bcp to just tell me the format file for bcp, then use that format file to import more data? Totally new to how all this stuff works...

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Is there a way to programmatically detect the existance of a table, to let's say conditionalize running a create (create if not exist)? This is Sybase I'm working on. Apparently there are stored procedures that list out all the tables, and I guess I could parse those... Are those stored procedures made by my coworkers or are those Sybase built ins?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Is there an SQL way to programmatically do this or will I just use Perl to parse the output of some lookup command to see if there's a table? And then conditionalize the running of that CREATE sql?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

imBen posted:

I have no idea what you're TRYing to ask. I really don't think you're asking if INSERT can do this? ... Because of course it can.

I've never done a lot of INSERT work so I guess I never learned... :blush:

m5 posted:

Isn't there a "sysobjects" table, or something like that? That's what we do in SQL Server.

Yes! This worked. I can just select the name from that table and parse that in Perl space...

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

How do I limit the number of rows I get for a query in Sybase? In Oracle I surrounded my query with a select and used rownum, and in MSSQL I used TOP...

Edit: My coworker mentioned something about setting a variable and then unsetting it, but that sounds suspcious and sloppy.

Edit^2: Well, "set rowcount N" and then "set rowcount 0" (to reset) works, but again, that feels wrong.

Triple Tech fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 4, 2008

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

I thought of a radical idea on the train today. Brace yourselves.

Do you template your SQL?

Every time I see SQL intertwined with code (Perl in this case), I can't help but think... God. That is so ugly. Something is wrong... But I'm not sure what.

Then it dawned on me on the train... The concern can be seperated out with a templating engine. SQL, like HTML, is hardly ever useful in a 100% static form. Requests and desires are generated on the fly. HTML is easily handled by something like Mason (templating for Perl). So, shouldn't SQL be easily handled as well in a Mason context?

The idea seems far too radical, at least for me. In all four of my SQL-aware jobs, not one of them seperate the SQL out into different files. I feel like I'm really breaking ground with this one.*

What do you guys do, do you seperate out your SQL like you seperate out your HTML? Or does it just get jammed right into the code?

* Not really, I'm just being hyperbolic.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Can I do this? I know I can just make it two update statements with a where clause, but I wonder if a single update is any better.

This is SQL Server 2005. And Victor already showed me how to exclude a record from a sum using case else 0, but how do you exclude something from a count? The documentation says count all will exclude nulls, but Victor says he's never seen all used that way. How else would you use it?

code:
type,  old_balance, new_balance
a   0  12
a  12   0
b   3   3
b   5  18
c   2   0
c  13  14

select
  count(all case when old_balance = 0 then null else old_balance) as old_items,
  count(all case when new_balance = 0 then null else new_balance) as new_items
from #tableu
group by type

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Aredna posted:

code:
sum(max(old_balance,1)) as old_items

What does the comma 1 part do? I understand what max does, but not with multiple arguments in the expression.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Every day is like a rapid fire of dumb SQL questions to Victor and #cobol... Here's my current one for SQL Server. Is there a way to store the value of a column into a variable? In Perl-speak, I would like this.
code:
select sum(value), $column
from table
group by $column
order by $column
I've seen some examples where you essentially construct a string and then eval that string with EXECUTE(@query) but is there something more direct? Also, is that use of EXECUTE(@query) bad/slow?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

My company's web app let's customers run calculations that are Expensive. How can we mitigate this cost with caching?

Scenario 1 - The result of the calculation is of different sizes and dimensions each time, currently represented as a Perl data structure. Current solution, serialize it and store that string in the DB. Can it be done any other, better way?

Scenario 2 - The results of the calculations are the exact same size each time, maybe a different number of rows, but still the same columns no matter how you slice it. Can we just dump this data into a table and then make the PK somehow related to the inputs that the customer put in for the calculation? If already calculated, read cache, if not, calculate + store?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

What's the difference between a relationships table (relationship id + object ids) versus a table with composite primary keys?

I'm thinking, like... If it's just a join, where each object has its own properties, and only the relationships need to be defined, then a relationships table is fine. But then it's like, what if the relationships themselves have data that neither of the objects can provide independently, then you start attaching data onto the relationships table.

Now, this relationships table, do you implement yet another relationships xref table and then a table about the relationships, or do you just have a composite primary key in the relationships table (instead of a relationship id)?

code:
given:

fruits:        posters:
a | apples     t | triple tech
p | peaches    c | captain guy

this

xref:        relationships:
1 | t | a    1 | love the green ones
2 | t | p    2 | hate
3 | c | a    3 | it's okay

vs

relationships:
t | a | love the green ones
t | p | hate
c | a | it's okay
Edit: I think this is essentially questioning the artificiality of keys?

Triple Tech posted:

My company's web app let's customers run calculations that are Expensive. How can we mitigate this cost with caching?

Scenario 1 - The result of the calculation is of different sizes and dimensions each time, currently represented as a Perl data structure. Current solution, serialize it and store that string in the DB. Can it be done any other, better way?

Scenario 2 - The results of the calculations are the exact same size each time, maybe a different number of rows, but still the same columns no matter how you slice it. Can we just dump this data into a table and then make the PK somehow related to the inputs that the customer put in for the calculation? If already calculated, read cache, if not, calculate + store?

No takers on how to cache calculated data of varying sizes?

Triple Tech fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 8, 2008

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

When I get crazy queries that are hard to figure out, I ask myself, what is the primary concept I want vs what is joined.

Primary concept: Rows where type != ACK
Join concept: Time
Join condition: ACK num = ACK num (selecting from ACKs only)

So, in pseudo code...

code:
with sent_messages as (
  select *
  from messages
  where type != ACK
), received_messages as (
  select *
  from messages
  where type = ACK
)
select *
from sent_messages
join received_messages
on ACK = ACK

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

select max(score) from table group by name order by name, untested

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Is there a way to change a column from decimal 5 to decimal 5, 3 in one command or do I have to grow it to 8, 3, divide by 1000, and then shrink it?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Is a TRUNCATE, DROP faster than a DROP in SQL Server? The reason I'm guessing so is because with a drop, it would try to record everything in the transaction log. But if I truncate it first, there would be nothing to record, ergo, faster.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

DLCinferno posted:

I've done them on large tables (500 million rows or more) so I know from experience. :)

Just curious, how many columns were in this table?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Our instance of SQL Server 2005 (we are not technically adept/DB mastahs) had 130 columns over 4M rows, and it took over a minute to drop. So, I figured it was trying to log everything. The log is already set to simple.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, obviously if I was at the helm, there would be a lot more judicious use of what goes where, etc. But they're sort of playing a shotgun approach to the way we're modeling the data, so it just so happens that one slice of our in-house model has 130 possible dimensions. The vast majority of the fields are null, and I can scream audit until the cows come up, but that's just the way it is.

The data that we're getting from other people though, 80 columns, easy. And we're still talking a few million rows, per month.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

permanoob posted:

Would this be the place to ask questions about the SQL server package itself? I'm guessing not, but I figured it's safe ro post here first asking, than to make a new thread in SH/HC.

You might as well try, it couldn't hurt. Worst case scenario, you make a thread. :)

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Victor posted:

Your CTE also needs to be made into dynamic SQL and executed as such.

I don't understand, what is the benefit to using dynamic SQL versus me just stitching a query up client side and then running it? It seems pretty much the same, to me.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Edit: Wow, not an SQL question...

Triple Tech fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 20, 2008

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

I don't know much about database design, but I'm not convinced the standard stored procedure benefit still comes through with dynamically generated SQL. It's like eval'ed code in a programming language, it's not semantically relevant up until the point that it's run, because it can always change before then. This isn't something predictable like bind parameters.

That's all I was trying to get at.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Let's say I have a table called goons and each row in the table represents one goon with typical goon attributes like user_id, last_login, etc.

Let's say each goon can be categorized into only one goon_type, like where they hang out most often (TCC, GWS, TFR, etc). In the OOP sense, think subclasses.

Now, what if each subclass has attributes exclusive to that subclass? favorite_weapon, favorite_drug, favorite_food, etc.

How do you model this? Do you put all of those fields in the goons table and NULL them out where they don't apply? Or do you keep the goons table generic and make tables to join off to like goons_tfr, goons_gws, etc that consist only of the goon pk plus the exclusive attributes?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

This is another prose-y question... What's the best way I can update multiple columns/rows of data? I'm only familiar using the UPDATE statement when it's a single column, limited by a WHERE clause using an id or pseudo id.

My scenario is there's a table we have with columns ABCDE. At the first phrase of loading data, I can only fill in columns ABC, and I'll null out DE. In a second phase of loading, I'll have access to the same ids and whatnot, but I can fill in the DE sections. So, what SQL statement or design can I use to fill out those columns in an existing table?

Edit: Talking with my coworker, this seems like something a normal UPDATE statement can handle, with joins and what not... I guess I'll look into it.

Triple Tech fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 14, 2008

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Question to the peanut gallery at large with regards to the question just posted: isn't this infinite attributes model sort of discouraged? It doesn't take advantage of relational structure at all. Or does it? It just smells really wrong to me.

Edit: It's called the entity attribute value model.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

What is the alternative to a workflow that would like to support ad-hoc fields? It's still a pertinent, albeit ugly, question.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

But why not model them "the normal way"? What's so insanely beneficial to this setup? It's like the cost of adding a new field completely outweighs the cost incurred by modeling it properly? And that includes maintenance costs and complexity for both?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

I'm not convinced that this is the "right" or most effective thing to do (just saying, no convincing needed). Having 600 attributes to one object just smells like an attempt to model what are really heterogeneous objects whose dimensions are skew and have nothing to do with one another.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So you have a base table called "evidence" and then you have a knives table, a guns table, a clothes table, that all join off this evidence table. The only weakness to this system is the inability to address completely brand new types of evidence, which I feel is the only scenario where EVA shines, and it doesn't happen often enough, I feel, to merit using it anyway.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

You don't union heterogeneous objects, that's what the evidence table is for. It has all of the pieces of evidence in the entire universe. The only thing in the other types is information specific to that piece of evidence.

It's the whole "let's treat things that are wildly different as the same without factoring out the similarities" angle that I find ridiculous.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

drcru posted:

What would cause a table overhead when you're updating it?

Victor has a really great point. Define what you mean by overhead. The update is taking longer than usual? What else was going on at the time? etc.

Essentially anything related to better read performance would correlate to worser write performance (and vice versa).

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Let's say I have a table of entities, and a table of relationships based off of those entities. Can I have one constraint on each table that dictates "an entity cannot exist unless it has at least one relationship"?

If so, when I had a new entity, do I have to release the relationship constraint first? Or can something be added to both tables "simultaneously"? Like, can they be wrapped in a transaction? Will the constraint only be enforced on the conclusion stage of the transaction?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Let's say I have a table that represents a super class, students. And then I have N tables that represent subclasses of that object (athletes, musicians, etc). How can I express a constraint such that a student must be modeled in one (not more, not less) subclass?

Edit: Cross posted to Stack Overflow for maximum hypernature

Triple Tech fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 2, 2008

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Uhh, not sure how I can do that considering I wasn't in the room at the time. I did think of a solution though, I'll post it when I implement it.

Edit:

The superclass table has a subclass code column. Each of the subclass tables has a foreign key constraint, as well as one that dictates that the id exist with a subset of the superclass table (where code = athlete).

The only missing part here is that it's possible to model a superclass without a subclass. Even if you make the code column mandatory, it could just be an empty join. That can be fixed by adding a constraint that the superclass's ids exist in a union of the ids in the subclass tables. Insertion gets a little hairy with these two constraints if constraints are enforced in the middle of transactions. That or just don't worry about unsubclassed objects.

Triple Tech fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 2, 2008

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

In SQL Server 2005, how do you check if a temporary object (table or procedure) already exists? They seem to lack object id's (rather, object_id returns null).

Edit: It seems tempdb..sysobjects has them listed... Sort of.
Edit^2: And it seems that their fully qualified names for object_id to work are tempdb..#table

Triple Tech fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 13, 2008

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

What database system is this that something like that takes over 40 seconds?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

I guess I'm still very new to databases, and I'm not exactly how powerful our hardware is (and it might be since THE MANAGERS just like to throw money at the problem instead of make things The Right Way (tm)). But in my limited experience, anything that's over a couple seconds is suspect to being approached incorrectly, and I work with tables that are at least in the hundreds of thousands rows range. Tens of seconds is just... Crazy to me. Chalk one up for Microsoft and SQL Server, I guess.

The longest part of the process I'm working on is selecting (almost) an entire table of data (like four million rows) and "translating" it to another format for insertion in a different table. That takes like... 13 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

What is type 2? Kind of difficult to Google for, I'm not sure what I'm looking at.