Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Jose posted:

Anyone know why when I right click on something in object explorer I have to wait like 10 seconds before the menu appears? This is for SQL server 2016 and its really annoying since object explorer freezes while i wait and I can't find anything to help while googling. If i remote desktop onto the server and use management studio there i have no problems

I have been googling the same issue today, I thought I was the only one. Unfortunately, I don't know how to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Sab669 posted:

I'm increasing the size of a field from varchar(10) up to varchar(50). I've spent most of this month hunting down every procedure, trigger, view etc. to find every instance where this column is referenced so I can increase the size in those scripts as well.

Do I need to recreate the Indexes reference this field? There are some clustered, some non. I know the purpose of an index but that's it, in regards to how SQL Server handles it. SSMS '12, I think we have R2 but the "About" splash screen makes no mention of it.

Altering the size of a field is a metadata-only change, it doesn't affect existing storage. So no, you don't need to recreate the indexes.

There's no 2012 R2. The database engine part of SSMS 2012 can connect to earlier server versions. Perhaps you're running 2008 R2?

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

I'm still stupid when it comes to most things s we SQL so just want to make sure my understanding here is correct.

Indexes are ways to speed up queries when there is sorting or searching at the expense of making inserts and what not more expensive. If i have an unindexed table with data and then i alter it to add i an index will all the data be retroactively indexed?

If you're adding a clustered index, yes. If you're adding a non-clustered index, no. That type of index never re-organizes the data in the table, what it does do is tell the query optimizer where to find specific rows.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Hey all, hopefully a simple question: What's the best method to return two values from the same column from the same table, the second row related by a key pulled from the first? I'm dealing with Oracle SQL more and more and I'm sure this is simple but I haven't done it yet.

Basically we have a table that has default object properties and then sub tables for object-specific info and we need to return the "name" of a user object related to another object "name" by the user who modified it.

I'm no Oracle expert, but if I were using SQL Server I'd probably use Lead or Lag. It looks like Oracle has something similar. https://oracle-base.com/articles/misc/lag-lead-analytic-functions.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

I don't know anything about InnoDB, but perhaps BankID/ID both need to be the same datatype? It's defined as an INT(3) in Accounts and as an unsigned INT(3) in Banks.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

Well, what if you had a ReceiptHeader and a ReceiptRow table? The ReceiptHeader would tell you which store the receipt is from, the date of purchase, name of the seller etc. Each individual ReceiptRow would tell you which product you've bought and how much it cost, for a particular receipt. Does that make any more sense?

Tax Oddity fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 3, 2018

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

I use AS both in selects and in joins. I can barely read code that doesn't use it, which happens to be most code I stumble across.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

my god. have any of you had to use snowflake?

:ohno:

No, but I've heard lots of buzz about it, been meaning to check it out. No good?

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

Have you tried Devart's SQL Complete? A few years ago when I compared it, Redgate and a bunch of other products I found it to be the most consistent. It certainly isn't perfect though.

I think they have a free, time-limited trial version.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

SSRS is not dependent on an equivalent version of SQL Server. In fact, it's not even a part of the SQL Server installer anymore as of 2017, it's a separate download! Although it probably has a minimum SQL Server version requirement.

Edit: I can't actually find anything about which version of SQL Server SSRS requires. It's possible that it's only forward-compatible, not backward-compatible.

Tax Oddity fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 21, 2019

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Maybe? The alternatives don't seem to have gotten much better since last I checked.

tyool 2019 and still no "for each row in query" loop method in TSQL, smdh.

The problem isn't cursors, specifically. The problem is looping in SQL. Don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

I always found SQL Complete to be better than SQL Prompt, with more features and better formatting at a lower price. They're both great though.

I don't work for them or anything but I was at a company where all of us were using SQL Prompt and I personally evaluated and compared it to SQL Complete. After my evaluation was done we made the switch. This was a few years ago so things could have changed since then.