Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

What you're getting is essentially all of approvals joined to approval_type joined to nothing. If you had other contracts with approvals in your listing, they'd be showing too, because you're not limiting which approvals you're looking at.

This will give you the list of approvals for a given contract:

code:
select at.type, at.approval_type_id ati, a.approval_date
from dmb_control.approval_types at 
left outer join dmb_control.approvals a 
      on at.approval_type_id=a.approval_type_id 
where a.contract_id = ?
This is basically what you had but without the (unnecessary?) join to contract.

If you want the approvals that are missing:

code:
select at.type, at.approval_type_id
from dmb_control.approval_types at 
where at.id not in 
(select approval_type_id from dmb_control.approvals where contract_id = ?)
(This may be the wrong syntax, but it should get the point across)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

I'm not familiar with the syntax, but my guess would be that the OR is overriding the earlier logic for the joins due to the way the logical operators are processed. Add some fields from sub2 and sub3 to the query to see if they are indeed identical rows, or if they're caused by bad joins.

If that turns out to be the case, all you should have to do is enclose the last two statements in parentheses so they're evaluated as X AND (Y OR Z) instead of (X AND Y) OR Z.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Quick MySQL question.

I have a table with two timestamp restrictions which represent midnight (GMT) on certain days. The idea is to find out if a series of dates fall within these values.

For the sake of examples, I will use "days" rather than timestamps

code:
-------------------------------------------------
|	ID	|	start	|	Stop	|
|	1	|	1	|	6	|
|	2	|	5	|	5	|
|	3	|	11	|	13	|
|	4	|	7	|	8	|
|	5	|	1	|	30	|
In this example, row 1 corresponds to a restriction that runs from day 1 to day 6.

So imagine I want to find out which restrictions apply to an event starting on day 5, and ending on 10.

The basic logic with a higher-level language (such as PHP) is to simply loop through each day[5-10] and each restriction[1-5] and see if (start <= day >= stop)

Is there a better way with SQL that I am missing?
If I understand this right and you just need a list of which restrictions will apply at some point, and not when, you don't have to loop through every day, you can just check to see if the ranges intersect by checking whether the start or end date of either set of dates falls within the other.

So 4 conditions to check in the where clause:
Event Start <= Restriction Start <= Event End
Event Start <= Restriction End <= Event End
Restriction Start <= Event Start <= Restriction End
Restriction Start <= Event End <= Restriction End

I'm not sure if it's more efficient than how you'd do it in another language, but it's a way it can be done.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Yeah, you're looking for at least one of those to be true, so you'd use ORs.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Jethro posted:

Assuming that the starts and ends are ordered correctly, there are only two conditions that you need to check:
eventStart<=restrictionEnd AND eventEnd>=restrictionStart
I guess if you want to take the easy and sensible way out, sure.