Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I have a stored procedure butt() that takes an _id and returns an integer, I have a query that uses it to get the top 10 buttest ids. Like this:

code:
select _id from
(select _id, butt(_id) from my_table) t
where butt is not null
order by butt desc
limit 10
butt is a somewhat complicated (and expensive) procedure that uses data from another table. But there's a field in my_table that gives a hint of butt's value, like butt will never be bigger than this value. Is there a way to express this constraint in the query to speed things up? By the way I'm on postgresql.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Vargatron posted:

Wouldn't adding additional conditions or operators slow down performance worse than having a less restrictive filter?

Not really in this case because butt is way more expensive than filtering.

I just thought of a way to do it:

code:
select _id, butt(_id)
from my_table
where butt(_id) is not null
and max_butt >= butt(_id)
order by butt(_id) desc
limit 10
it didn't help as much as I expected but oh well... At least I feel like this is the kind of information that I wanted to make it explicit to the database.

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 7, 2017

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The way I understand it is that LIKE is part of the SQL standard which implements a less expressive subset of regex.

~ is a postgres thing where they implemented full posix extended regex.

I heard LIKE is supposed to be more efficient than ~ but I I'm not sure if this is relevant in most cases.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
loving incredible. Thanks for posting this Nth Doctor!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm seconding SQL Antipatterns, it surprisingly became one of my favorite programming books ever, I keep going back to it.