Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wanna learn about databases for web/app backends so what is a good and cheap/free place to run one? It’ll just be for playing around with stuff so preferably free is better.

The AWS stuff is confusing as hell because there are like 500 services with descriptions reading like they do the same things. (I’ve also made a AWS account ages ago so I don’t think the free micro server tier is available to me anymore.)

Also, what database system would I learn? It probably doesn’t matter but if everybody uses like MySQL then I guess I would prefer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm very familiar with Python, and I know the "basics" of SQL enough that I can look at the posts here ITT and generally understand, but I want to learn SQL more. How would you guys recommend learning SQL in 2024?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I track a lot of stuff (finances, mostly, but not limited to) in Google Sheets and I just found out that you can run SQL queries and it just seems so much easier/better than not using SQL. I guess I mostly just wanted some guidance on how to work with spreadsheets/datasets using SQL, not developing applications.