Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Rabbit Hill posted:

I have a question about MS Access 2016 query design.
How do I look for only partial matches between the "ISBNs" in Table 1 with the "ISBN" in Table 2?

Have you tried something like :
code:
SELECT ....
FROM [JLG Circ history w ISBNs] INNER JOIN [JLG w pricing] 
ON ([JLG Circ history w ISBNs].[ISBNs] Like '*' & [JLG w pricing].[ISBN] & '*')
If that doesn't work, you could try the old "cartesian join and filter" approach, but there's a strong possibility that MS Access performance on this approach will be dire...
code:
SELECT ....
FROM [JLG Circ history w ISBNs], [JLG w pricing] 
WHERE ([JLG Circ history w ISBNs].[ISBNs] Like '*' & [JLG w pricing].[ISBN] & '*')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Hi kiwid. If you were using T-SQL I'd probably suggest using PIVOT, but it looks like you're on MySQL. So I'd suggest starting with something like
code:
  SELECT order_id AS id
        ,MIN(IF(type='A','true',NULL)) AS has_type_a
        ,MIN(IF(type='B','true',NULL)) AS has_type_b
        ,MIN(IF(type='C','true',NULL)) AS has_type_c
    FROM instructions
GROUP BY order_id

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

In the pivot approach, if you add something like:
code:
LEFT JOIN
(
   (SELECT order_id, instruction 
      FROM instructions) AS instr_rows
     PIVOT
   (MIN(instruction) 
    FOR instruction IN ([A],[B],[C])) AS instr_cols
)
ON instr_cols.order_id = orderlog.orderlog_nbr
You should have access to columns instr_cols.[A], instr_cols.[B] and instr_cols.[C] in your main query, which you can test for being null/non-null using a case statement in the same manner as your strip_test column.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

If you saved the package the wizard creates, and then skipped running it out of the wizard, you might be able to deploy it to the database. Then you could get the server to run it instead of your laptop. But a VM might be easier to organise.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Hi kiwid. I don't think the designer is capable of coping with any query that contains a CTE. But as long as you're comfortable with working with the SQL directly, there's a more direct command you can use. Right-click the view, select "Script view as" -> "CREATE TO" -> "New query editor", and you'll get a script that will include the proper definition of the view.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

What is ljt.recid = t.sourcerecid doing in the first join? Is it excluding the row which has a non-blank invoice value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

kiwid posted:

It's from an SQL trace generated by software. So, probably an ORM.

:thumbsup:

You might be right, perhaps those nulls should have been column names. This is some really lovely legacy software we're talking about.

If it turned out to be handwritten, I might have guessed it was to make it easier to comment out any combination of filters without leaving an invalid WHERE clause
pre:
		NULL IS NULL --AND v.contract_nbr = 0
But since it's autogenerated, I'd guess that where you've ended up with "v.contract_nbr = 0", the system has a variable length list of filters which can be turned on or off. Starting with NULL IS NULL means that you don't have to restructure the WHERE clause when all the filters are off/list is length zero. It also means that you can prepend all of the clauses with " AND " when you're building the query, rather than remembering to special case the first clause off the list. I mean, it all smells like an expedient thing done in some decidedly hacky code, but in that context it makes sense.