Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig-fukr
Nov 3, 2002

Victor posted:

I want to know why Microsoft hasn't worked on passing tables around, or at least views that can be dynamically selected from without dynamic sql.

They have. In 2008 you get table-valued parameters that can be passed around, provided you're willing to strongly type them and read-only access will do what you need:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/datacenter/?p=168

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig-fukr
Nov 3, 2002

Victor posted:

Sick! Is there some place on the net where all the features of 2008 (new over 2005/2000) are described, and described well? I've seen several overviews of what is coming in 2008 (like intellisense, yay!), but I haven't yet seen the above. I just glanced at 2008 Books Online and it does not seem conducive to learning about the new features.

Most of the stuff I've found that was actually useful for learning how to REALLY use features have been by googling the specific feature you want to work with. There just doesn't seem to be a good central repository at the moment.

This isn't a bad starting point to get a little overview. If you click on the main category icons it will launch into presentations about what's new in each deal. You can also click on each individual item to get more information. This is what's available for table-valued parameters.

The main CTP page can be found Here if you don't already frequent it.

I think table-valued parameters and the addition of a spatial engine are going to be the biggest draws for my purposes. The other stuff is nice, but those are items I could use a daily basis.

pig-fukr fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 7, 2007

pig-fukr
Nov 3, 2002

var1ety posted:

My personal preference is to use COALESCE/CASE in all situations and ignore our database's large number of null-handling functions.

Oddly enough, you're using CASE either way. In fact, with MSSQL you're ultimately using CASE whether you call ISNULL, COALESCE or straight up CASE. Under the hood the engine does the same exact call.