Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Anybody at PASS this week? I’ll be the guy forcing myself to socialize cause my boss said to ‘be sure to network and have fun’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Hughmoris posted:

I am not but I'd really like to be there. More importantly, I'd like to be on a team where people want to go to those types of events. Yes, I am a nerd.

Yeah I’m glad I’m here. The other DB nerds couldn’t make the time for it with their own stuff going on. It’s just regular goon-style social anxiety. Like going to a wedding where you don’t know anyone.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 15, 2023

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
My takeaway so far is that I want Redgate’s toys and gizmos but my boss probably won’t buy them.

This thing is hosted by Redgate though so I’m probably being brainwashed.

Also there’s so much AI poo poo. How are people just cool with hooking up their environments to the internet and sending it to a third party?

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 17, 2023

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
There’s definitely non MS stuff going on here. Postgres even has a vendor booth. We’re a MS shop though so I haven’t dug too deep.

I feel like I could give some of these talks. I figured I could learn some cool tricks at the Git + SQL talk so I wouldn’t have to do weird things to version views and procs but they’re just like ‘here’s what a branch is’

Cool thanks. Also at a whiskey based after party and found someone to talk about smoked meats with so that helps with anxiety.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 17, 2023

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

mortarr posted:

Tell me more about the latest redgates gizmos - I used to use their sql toolbelt in another life, and their dependency sniffing tool was a legit lifesaver for the end-of-lifed products I was extracting data from at the time, but I never really got into much else of theirs.

Here's what I was looking at

SQL Prompt: https://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-prompt/ People at the summit I was talking to were big on this one. Saying it saved them 100s of hours. Refactoring and templates and macros. Let's you define or pick a house style. Of course now they're using ChatGPT integration for some stuff. "Make this sp more efficient". Talking to a Redgate guy at an afterparty, he said that they're planning on making it so you can limit training to your own data for security concerns. I've been using their online formatter for a long time (https://www.red-gate.com/website/sql-formatter) so I was interested in the more robust features of this

Flyway: https://www.red-gate.com/products/flyway/ Devops for DBs. I've always wished that SSMS had some sort of Git integration and that seems to do that as well as automating deployments. I'm mostly an Enterprise Apps guy so I don't build a lot of my own stuff, so I'm sure I won't get to play with it a lot.

Test Data Manager: https://www.red-gate.com/products/test-data-manager/ This is their new thing. Generate large sets of test data based on your own criteria. Also data anonymization/sanitization stuff for PII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Lib and let die posted:

SQL Prompt is really handy for refactoring but I don't know that I'd pay redgate prices just for that. We were always told that its use was non-optional because of stuff like detecting UPDATE or DELETE statements without WHERE clauses and less about making our code pretty.

I always write my UPDATE/DELETEs as SELECT statements first because of that one time.

Thanks for all the pointers to Prompt alternatives. Not sure the powers that be will shell out $200/head/year.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 22, 2023