Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cka
May 3, 2004
How reliable is using phpMyAdmin for dumping a ~600mb database into a mysqldump style output file? Normally I'd just ssh in and use mysqldump itself, but unfortunately this time around I don't have remote access for ssh (nor can I use a local mysqldump connecting to the remote db server, which is how I previously did what I'm trying to accomplish tonight.) Would this pose any risk of corrupting the existing data and/or abruptly stopping mid-process via a php time-out, corrupting the dump? I am, for all intents and purposes, a phpMyAdmin newbie and need to take the utmost care of this data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cka
May 3, 2004

Kylratix posted:

Yeah, that'll most likely fail. If you don't have SSH, take a look at your cpanel or what-have-you. Most hosts provide database backups through that as well.

Yeah, I found the link inside cPanel for me to download the mysqldump output of the database in question which worked like gang busters. phpMyAdmin really is horrible, even after I got the database and did what I needed to do with it (namely trimming it down from 600 megs to 20, hooray for old apps that store images in the db), the re-import still didn't work all that well. I had to split the 15 meg .sql text file into 2 or 3 separate chunks to make it work properly. :bang:

Ahwell it's done at any rate, thanks for the help.

cka
May 3, 2004
When does "Using filesort" become a serious problem with MySQL? I've got a query that I want to have able to sort by an IF() statement in the SELECT parameters, and when I utilize that column in ORDER BY I get Using temporary; Using filesort. I'm not a huge DBA guy, but I know enough to know that "Using filesort" is basically like dirty language in church. Right now it's basically a non-issue AFAIK since there's only 2 rows in the table where the file sort occurs, but I'd rather fix it now if possible instead of being up poo poo creek when it becomes a major issue.