Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

From a SQL injection standpoint, I would just use an enum to enumerate the table options and pass that parameter to the method you are calling this from. You can't inject squat in SomeEnum.ToString().

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Edit: Golbez, I have a great deal of problems due to Jet 3 being ridiculously inefficient with anything beyond a simple SELECT...especially over a network. Can I assume that using indexed fields in my queries will speed that up? I do notice that JOINs are almost always faster than a nested query...

Indexes definitely help. The other big thing that helps with JET is to not open and close connections like one should do with SQL Server (or most other server RDBMSs). Seems like there is no connection pool. Depending on how much you are reading/writing, it can speed things up greatly.

I should note my principal use for Access DBs these days is as data stores/logging tools for some command line utilities we use to import things into the CRM system here.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

^^^What that man said. Most reporting layers easily support running totals with ease.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Yes, there is a command line sql client. See osql.exe for Sql 2000 [I think] and sqlcmd.exe for Sql 2005.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

jwnin posted:

I think the key item here is that if you're a DBA these days, you pretty much also need a copy of Visual Studio to truly round out your toolbox. Management Studio is pretty good, but not all the way there. I don't believe you can debug stored procs without it, and even the BI studio includes a stripped down version. Anything with SQLCLR definitely would benefit from it.

Actually, Management Studio is based on Visual Studio. And the BI tools are visual studio, they just install a limited number of project templates.

quote:

Unless of course you're using SSIS in which case good luck trying to figure out what juju needs to be done to get the parameterization to work right. And if you do figure that out let me know

Well, I did manage to call a parameterized stored proc from a script task once. But that was probably not what you wanted to hear.