Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
I'd be a little shocked if that was the case, since that sounds like the Halloween problem - and I wouldn't expect that in Postgres. Does EXPLAIN shed any light on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

That almost sounds like a bug, particularly when the same query gives different results based on... something.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

What RDBMS?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Tibalt posted:

Edit: Thanks for the reply Ruggan as well. I'll take a look at the query plan as well.

If you're using SQL Server and want a second opinion from the dubious, anonymous internet people here, you can upload the execution plan to Paste The Plan. Plan Explorer can anonymize the plan if you're worried about sharing table/ index names etc.

Make sure it's the actual execution plan if at all possible!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a term for when you have to dive into a database full of different tables trying to find the right keys you can join on to get your data? SQL archaeology?

"Backend development"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

AzureSkys posted:

I'm very new to SQL and have been working on a thing using MS Access for work to compare a master part list to a specific inventory list. The master is frequently updated with many parts and I import the latest one into the table "MasterList". The inventory list table only needs to compare to a fraction of the parts from the master so I set up deletion queries to remove the unneeded parts from the master based on what I've gone through and specifically added to the filtering list. Then my comparison works well to find changes.

But since the queries are character limited, once I get to like 30 items I have to make a new query which currently are like 6. I have a macro to run all 6, but then it's not too easy to add new items to filter out since I have to edit the query.
My current deletion query:
code:
DELETE
  [masterlist].*,
  [masterlist].description,
  [masterlist].part
FROM [masterlist]
WHERE  (( ( [masterlist].description ) LIKE 'PartNameA1*'
           OR ( [masterlist].description ) LIKE 'PartNameB7*'
           OR ( [masterlist].part ) LIKE '11X111*'
           OR ( [masterlist].part ) LIKE '22X112*' ));  
.....and on and on until the character limit is reached
I realized I can just put all those items to be deleted a table (DeletionList) that isn't limited and is much easier to update. Then I run a deletion query but I have to base some items by description and others by part number. I have individual queries for each, but don't know how to put them into one query.

Description delete query:
code:
 DELETE distinctrow [MasterList].*
FROM       [MasterList]
INNER JOIN [DeletionList]
ON         (
                      [MasterList].description = [DeletionList].description)
AND        (
                      [MasterList].description = [DeletionList].description);
Part Number delete query:
code:
FROM       [MasterList]
ON         (
                      [MasterList].partnumber = [DeletionList].partnumber)
AND        (
                      [MasterList].partnumber = [DeletionList].partnumber);
Also, I can't figure out if it's possible to delete by partial names or part numbers. This is only matching full descriptions or full part numbers and not doing any partials.
In my queries where I list every part name or number to delete I can use "LIKE 'partnameA*' " to so I don't have to list everything that starts with "partnameA", or part numbers that start the same but have different end numbers, " LIKE "11x222-*' ". It's not as big of a deal to do partials since in the table I can just keep adding items, but there are a lot of close duplicates and it'd be nice to have one entry to cover them all, like stuff that has one digit different at the end that I know is OK to delete anything that starts with the first part.

Is it possible to include something like that into one query to find partial matches between both tables in either description or part number to then delete from the master?

doing the delete in one query using DeletionList is easy, since you can use OR conditions in join statements:

code:
FROM       [MasterList]
ON         (
                      [MasterList].description = [DeletionList].description)
OR        (
                      [MasterList].partnumber = [DeletionList].partnumber);

not sure why you had the doubled-up conditions in your queries, and i'm assuming the distinctrow thing is an access thing

doing it with a wildcard is very similar. insert your rows including the wildcard characters into DeletionList, then

code:
FROM       [MasterList]
ON         (
                      [MasterList].description LIKE [DeletionList].description)
OR        (
                      [MasterList].partnumber LIKE [DeletionList].partnumber);

at least, assuming access sql behaves vaguely similarly to other sqls

e: entirely untested; do your own testing and validation before running on a production db, etc etc

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

I'm doing something wrong here but I can't for the life of me figure out what.

Problem: with psycopg2 and Python, if I make any kind of query that includes a WHERE clause, the query is run but returns no hits. If I make a query that doesn't include a WHERE, it works. So:

cur.execute("SELECT * FROM employee_location;")

works just fine, but

cur.execute("SELECT * FROM employee_location WHERE last_measurement_time >= TO_TIMESTAMP(%s)", (time_to_start,))

returns an empty.

what happens if you try an always true condition like WHERE 1 = 1?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

- we're back to relying on the query optimizer to not gently caress up[

sql_server.txt

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

depends entirely on the query + query optimiser + data distribution. trying to give any rules of thumb is basically irresponsible tbh

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

cursed_schema.sql

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Hammerite posted:

They say that one of their goals is "avoid the need for joins as much as possible". Why do you suppose they have that as a goal? Given that they are working from seemingly bizarre premises, it is not that surprising that they have created something bizarre.

a lot of devs are really, really scared of joins for some reason. they often say "performance!" but i think they're really just nervous and intimidated by sql

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

nielsm posted:

SQL code:
select CONCAT('a', 'b')
pre:
Msg 195, Level 15, State 10, Line 1
'CONCAT' is not a recognized built-in function name.
WTF?
It even autocompletes CONCAT in the SSMS editor.
MS SQL Server 10.50.6000.

Edit: Apparently it was only added in SQL Server 2012 and this is 2008 R2.
I thought CONCAT was supposed to be ancient ANSI SQL.

let this be your first lesson on the true meaning of :airquote: "ansi sql"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

can mysql do hash joins yet?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

they are a pain in the rear end though

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Ruggan posted:

Business logic belongs in the database alone

i was with you until this point because i've seen what people do when the database is the business layer

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

D34THROW posted:

I wish I could get my company to host a SQL server. Our ERP is SQL-based (I think) but it sucks rear end (Dynamics NAV 2013), and it doesn't do half of what we really need it to do.

microsoft dynamics crm? that's backed by a sql server db, almost certainly on-prem. i happen to know this because i used ms dynamics for task tracking and found it vastly easier to query the db (once i'd reverse-engineered the schema and how we used it) directly rather than using the front-end

i wouldn't suggest updating that db directly though, because there's a fair chance doing that could lead to your support contract or w/e being voided

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Paper With Lines posted:

The loving Navision schema set up is LOL poo poo. How did you reverse engineer it? We basically have 5 general queries that we adapt depending on what we want that were written like six years ago because no one ever wants to ever interact with it on the db side but there is a high business demand to get data out.

nothing sophisticated - i opened up a thing in the app that showed some of the data i wanted, then went poking around in tables looking for that data. once i found where it was stored, i started joining on tables that seemed relevant using fk-sounding columns until i had enough to understand what i needed to

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

give TABLESAMPLE a shot. you should be able to use the postgres equivalent of SELECT TOP 1 to get a single random row

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

Your specific SQL dialect may offer some extra help, for example Postgres has a "crosstab" function that will perform a pivot on every value in the selected rows.

oh man, it's so unfair that something like this hasn't been standardised

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

check out How to Share Data between Stored Procedures, by notable sql server greybeard erland sommarskog. you should check out his other articles too, just so you know what topics he's covered in enormous detail

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

Riddle me this, SQL fans:

I've got a view that joins 8 tables. 7 inners, one left. call these A-H. In production, this view returns 1.5m rows.

I've got a query that left joins table C on this view again, groups by C's ID, and does a bunch of aggregations (sums, mostly). The result set in prod is about 4500 rows.

We discovered that, when run on production data, the query takes about six and a half minutes and was timing out our app requests. However, in staging, it took a significantly saner amount of time (30s) with *almost* identical data (couple items added by our QA team). Bad times, so we start looking into it.

What we found was that there were two columns in table F that were unpopulated (null values all the way down) in production, but had data in staging. This seems to be the exclusive difference. We haven't added any data to prod to test this, but running the query with the removal of those columns dropped the query time back down to 30 seconds.

Why the gently caress is this happening? Explain plan is not helpful, and these columns are strictly data holders with no indices or weird data types or anything.

which rdbms? were those columns used in the query and/or view, and if so, how? i assume the result set is equivalent between staging and prod

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Secx posted:

Using SSMS, is there a shortcut/add-in that allows you to enclose values in single quotes for use in an IN clause?

Right now, I put my values in Excel and create this formula in column B: ="'" & A1 & "',". This results in:

code:
'1234',
'5678',
'9012',
[...]
I then copy/paste into SSMS:

code:
select foo from bar
where baz in (
'1234',
'5678',
'9012',
[...]
)
Trying to find a more efficient way to do this.

Edit: I found this on Stackoverflow: https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/96371/applying-quotes-across-multiple-lines. But the Shift-Alt solution only seems to do this for one line at a time. Not practical if I have 1000+ lines. It also doesn't work if my values aren't all the same length.

i jam 'em into notepad++ and do a regex replace. something like find ^(.+)$, replace with '$1',

i've also done similar things to split up text into multiple columns for inserting into temp tables or w/e

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i didn't know that "left join" was a hot topic in the sql community

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Moonwolf posted:

On top of what the others have said, MySQL can only do nested loop joins, which are simple, and the fastest way to do small results sets, but will always suck no matter what for 10k+ results sets, and be terrible for 100k+. Trimming unused joins will certainly help though.

:psyduck:

i knew this, and i'm still shocked any time someone reminds me of it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

in mssql you could do something like the following. not sure if postgres or whatever supports this syntax though, but iirc this is standard sql syntax

code:
INSERT INTO "formquestionresponse" ("attrib_id", "value", "response_id")
SELECT attrib_id, value, response_id
FROM (
    VALUES
    (63, 'Philadelphia Flyers', '135'),
    (64, 'Test', '135'),
    (68, null, '135'),
    (77, null, '135')
) vals (attrib_id, value, response_id)
WHERE value IS NOT null

basically just putting the VALUES clause into a subquery and filtering that

i agree with the previous posters that value should be set as non-nullable (in addition to any code/query changes), if having nulls in value doesn't make logical sense in your schema

redleader fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 10, 2021

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

nitpick: uuids aren't "cryptographic" in any sense of the word

even if you know your uuidv4 is generated with a csprng or true random source, you cannot guarantee that this will always be the case. it would be somewhere between easy and trivial to gently caress up id generation accidentally, and end up using regular uuids

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the only people who take offense at the idea of surrogate keys seem to be those who have crawled extremely up their own rear end using relational algebra

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Hammerite posted:

Everyone else is talking about surrogate keys as the alternative to externally-meaningful keys, but I suspect you are talking about surrogate keys as the alternative to composite keys, which is a different dichotomy.

nope, applies to both cases

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

don't forget that recipes can use the same ingredient multiple times - e.g. you use 1 cup water in step one, then 2 cups in step 3. personally i wouldn't fold those into one entry, since they're used for different purposes and it's convenient to see at a glance

if you want to make it more complicated, ingredients are often (but not always!) grouped into sections - one for the cake, one for the icing, etc

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i'm probably the horror, but i've never seen the point in having special guids or whatever so that ids can't be guessed on the front end. you should have authorization checks in place to prevent users accessing resources they're not allowed to regardless, so even if they changed id=69 to id=420 they should just get a 401 or 404 or whatever you like

maybe knowing the current id and growth rate could leak a bit of information? seems a bit of a niche problem

i guess it could be defence in depth if your authn/z checks are buggy?

plus copying/typing numeric ids is just so dang convenient

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

half my job is just mapping ids around

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Beginner pitfalls, or I guess just a bunch of random Big Thinks from a number of years of experience:

- ORM's are bad, query builders are good.

good stuff, i agree with it all

re: query builders: does anyone know of any good ones (or indeed any at all) for .net?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

your post on orms is really good btw. but i wanted to ask a question in response to this one. what do you think about the placement of join conditions? i'm sure we all agree that joins should be written using the join clause, not by specifying the relationships in the where clause. constant conditions seem like they belong in the where clause, but for an inner join it's equivalent to write "a join b on a.id = b.id and b.col = 1". until you switch to a left join. and what about a relationship between tables that isn't a foreign key, but is relevant for the specific query? are there like, style guidelines for this? i try to do what feels right

the way i do it is: JOIN conditions only include columns involved in the relationship between the tables. all other conditions go in the WHERE clause. this fits in with how i think of the different operations: a JOIN introduces a related table, a WHERE filters the rows. i also find it's easier to scan a query when this is followed: if you know that filter clauses are in the WHERE, then you can just skim over the table names in the FROM and JOIN and ignore the boring parts of the ON clause. so in your example the b.col = 1 would go in the WHERE

left joins might be different, of course, but i try to follow the above (and usually can, far more often than not)

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

By example, suppose you have selected FROM book and you're going to join on author. Do you say "JOIN author ON author.id=book.author" or do you say "JOIN author ON book.author=author.id"? Or do you say, this is just an inner join, why confuse matters when this is simply "FROM book,author WHERE author.id=book.author"?

whether book.author or author.id are entirely equivalent, and which comes first comes down purely to your coding standards (i prefer the former). i shudder to think of the dbms that treats these differently

the old-style join syntax should be entirely avoided unless you have a drat good reason to (the drat good reason is that you've profiled it and found that it's substantially better than writing out the joins explicitly, and you've commented it to that effect). again, any halfassed db should treat this the same as the other two, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that some dbs are dumber about this construct

old style joins should be a syntax error tbh

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

did you update inserttime, just add a
that new column RecTime_UTC, or is your second where clause wrong? the two queries are identical except for a column in the select

which rdbms? i think this might be somewhat db-dependent, although i can hazard a guess...

assuming you updated inserttime as well as creating RecTime_UTC, my guess is that inserttime was inserted with a data type that had a time zone offset. using the first row from your example, i'm guessing inserttime would have been inserted as 2018-02-19 20:42:54+02:00 (instead of a time with no offset like 2018-02-19 20:42:54). this time is equivalent to the utc time 2018-02-19 18:42:54+00:00. when comparing the date columns in the where clause, the db compares the dates in utc. these are the same, so you see the same rows appearing in both queries

for example, here's how sql server's datetimeoffset type works:

quote:

The data is stored in the database and processed, compared, sorted, and indexed in the server as in UTC. The time zone offset will be preserved in the database for retrieval.
i suspect other dbs would work similarly

this makes some assumptions about your schema - specifically that something in your schema is offset-aware. probably. i think. idk, times are a nightmare even with good libraries for working with them. and dbs do not have good datetime libraries

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

kiwid posted:

Thanks. Is there any performance differences between a CTE vs subquery?

nah, optimiser treats 'em the same. think of a cte as being a way to copy/paste a subquery

primary reasons to use one over the other: defining a subquery once and using it multiple times (cte), readability. some people prefer ctes over subqueries even for single-use things. personally i only use ctes in that case if i'd end up with multiple nested subqueries (which might happen with complicated logic and/or window functions)

note that sql server doesn't evaluate a cte only once and reuse the result set. every time you refer to a cte in a query, you're creating a different subquery. i've seen this trip people up - people expect defining a thing once means it will execute once, but alas that isn't so. in postgres you can add a hint to the cte to get it to materialize the cte results, but sql server has nothing like this :(

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the query store might help - it's theoretically good for recording and finding query regressions. you might need to turn it on, if it's not enabled already. i've always found it a pain to query, but that's probably because i don't use it much at all (our workload isn't well suited)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i know it's been solved, but if you're wondering, the reason you're getting a bunch more rows than you expect is because this statement doesn't have a where clause:

code:

SELECT ID, value, Last, Envelope FROM dbo.Contacts
CROSS APPLY STRING_SPLIT(@NameString, '&');

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

credburn posted:

Hey, gang!

I've been smashing my head against this code for the last week and am finally at the end of it. I'm taking an online course and unfortunately, if I need any help, I have to either figure it out myself, e-mail my course instructor and wait 12 days for a response, or come begging on these forums for some guidance.

The only thing not working at this point is there is a trigger that needs to fire that does not seem to be.

The goals in entirety (so as to perhaps explain some parts of the code) is:

1. Find the top ten most popular districts in a DVD rental database
2. In those districts, find the most popular genre of films being rented
3. Create a detail table that lists the district, genre and genre count
4. Create a summary table that lists the district, genre, and a ranking of the top three genres in each district
5. Create a trigger that will update summary_table whenever detail_table is updated

Everything works but Step number 5. I've run this through Chat-GPT and it says everything looks fine. I can see the trigger is there in postgres, and the code produces no errors. But when I update the details_table (by changing the number of rented action films to 0), the summary_table does not change.

Here is my code...

https://pastebin.com/DmQptSpy

Thank you for any advice :|

i don't speak postgres, but from a quick google id expect there to be a CREATE TRIGGER statement somewhere. that is, a statement to wire up that function to an actual trigger on the table

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

does your sqlite wrapper expose one of the sqlite3_changes functions?

looks like another option might be the count_changes pragma, although this is deprecated - by what, i'm not sure. it definitely seems like a nicer way to get the affected row count than sqlite3_changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

oooh, yeah, i get it now. have you tried the solution in the accepted answer on that question? i think that could work for you, if sqlite allows it. the rowset will be empty if the id doesn't exist, and you'd get the old value of is_deleted to see if it had been previously deleted or not

code:

UPDATE assets x
SET is_deleted = 1
FROM assets y
WHERE x.id = y.id
    AND x.id = 3
RETURNING y.is_deleted AS old_is_deleted;

you'll no doubt need to tweak the syntax, because sql is a vibe and not a standard