Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
A bunch of us felt it was time to rise up and put a Ska megathread out there, whether it be in a futile attempt to convince people to listen, or just because we can't get enough of arguing about what bands really are "ska."

Just kidding, it's actually because Streetlight Manifesto is getting ready to release an album good enough to make grown men cry, and we all crawled out of the woodwork to join together in brass-backed fraternity.

I figure the best way to kick this thread off is to provide some background information on Ska music in general, in case you slept through middle school.

Ska
Much to most people's surprise, Ska has been around for decades in one form or another, and is traditionally categorized into three "waves:" First Wave, Second Wave (2 Tone), and Third Wave (which can be subdivied into pretty much any version of ska-[genre] or [genre]-ska)

Hopefully this thread will not be limited to only Third Wave ska discussion, as there are numerous great bands still playing traditional ska and 2 Tone stuff (some will be listed below).

Ska FAQ
Where did Ska go?
It didn't really "go" anywhere, it's been around for years, but has had slight peaks of success. Most notably in the early 80's in England and in the late nineties in the US. As for why it declined, scholars could debate this for centuries. However, many who know of ska but do not listen consider it to be "immature" or "repetitive," while others may see that the large number of ska-[genre] subtypes led many bands to simply drift away (for better or for worse) from their original ska sound (see The Hippos). It still has a surprisingly large following, but is getting increasingly hard to keep tabs on.

What are those assholes doing in the pit, that's not moshing. I'm going to hit them.
They're most likely skanking, or trying to. We're just dancing, let us have our fun. For the record, one-man-at-a-time skanking pits are dumb :colbert:

Why does [Band X] suck so much, they aren't ska!
Let's keep this poo poo out of this thread, it's dumb and has a tendency to turn every ska discussion to poo poo. If you don't think a band is ska, it doesn't matter, just don't listen to them. They most likely are ska influenced, played ska at one time, or aren't all that good (but they're trying, and we need all we can get). Unless people start proclaiming Radiohead as gods of ska, we shouldn't have a problem.

Why are all the shows I go to empty by 9pm
High school kids. We keep getting older, but they stay the same age.

The meat of the thread! Bands! Tours! Releases!

Bands
I'd like to keep a running list of bands that people can listen to. It's harder to find new ska music than it used to be, so post every single god drat one you know (as long as it isn't up here), and I'll add it.

Click here for sweet bands! (also ska bands)

Tours
These are some current or future tours featuring some of our beloved ska bands:
Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere In The Between Tour
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - FIRST GOD drat HOMETOWN THROWDOWN IN FOUR YEARS

Releases
Some recent or upcoming ska cds. BUY THESE. If you download your music, I won't stop you. But as with any non-mainstream genre, if you like the cd you are listening to, please buy it. Many of these bands are on small, sometimes self-run labels, and they need all the support they can get.

Mad Caddies - Keep It Going : May, 2007 (Buy)
Reel Big Fish - Monkeys for Nothin' and the Chimps for Free : July, 2007. (Buy)
Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere In The Between : November 13th, 2007. [url="https://"http://interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=151945&"](Buy)[/url]
Mustard Plug - In Black and White : 2007. (Buy)
Mighty Mighty BossTones - Medium Rare : December, 2007 (Buy)
Taj Motel Trio - Part of the Problem : 2007 (Buy)
Bomb The Music Industry - Get Warmer : 2007 ("Buy")
The Slackers - Self Medication : April, 2008. (Buy)

Again: Absolutely DO NOT turn this thread into a shitstorm of "This band isn't ska!/Ska-core sucks!/Wah Wah Wah!"
Just remember, ska is the Byob of music. Not as elitist as punk, not as widely accepted as rock. We're just here to chill out and have a good time.

This OP will be a work in progress, so keep an eye for updates and changes.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Placeholder for a list of bands!
A (RIP) indicates a band that is no longer around, but you should still listen.

Traditional
Arthur Kay and the Originals
Blue Beat Players
Deals Gone Bad
Desmond Dekker
Hepcat
Justin Hinds (RIP)
Laurel Aitken
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Maroon Town
New Town Kings
New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble
Pama International
Prince Buster
Rebelation
Rude Rich and the High Notes
Ruder Than You
Skavoovie and The Epitones (RIP)
Smoke Like A Fish
Spiritual Rez
The Aggrovators
The Adjusters
The Ethiopians
The Pepper Pots
The Skatalites
The Slackers
The Special Guests
The Splitters
The Top Cats
The Trojans
The Usuals
Tommy McCook (RIP)
Toots & the Maytals
Westbound Train

2 Tone
Bad Manners
Jump With Joey
Madness
The (English) Beat
The Hotknives
The Lockup (Goon!)
The Pacers (RIP)
The Selecter (RIPish)
The Specials (RIP)

Third Wave
[spunge]
20 Dead Camels
Aks Mamma
Atomic Potato
Baker Act (RIP) (Goon Band)
Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution
Big D and the Kids Table
Bim Skala Bim (RIP)
Blue Meanies (RIPish)
Bomb The Music Industry
Bomb Town
Buck-O-Nine
Capdown (RIP)
Catch 22
Chocking Victim (RIP)
Citizen Fish
Chris Murray
Cousin Oliver (RIP)
Dance Hall Crashers
Distored Penguins
Drive thru pharmacy
Donkey Punch! (RIP)
Edna's Goldfish (RIP)
Eighty Proof Soul (RIP) (Goon)
El Marko (A goon band, if I recall)
Face First (RIP)
Fishbone
Five Iron Frenzy (RIP)
Forces of Evil
Freefall Felix
General Rudie
Goldfinger
High School Football Heroes (RIP)
Hub City Stompers
I Voted For Kodos (RIP)
Insyderz (RIP)
Jeffries Fan Club (RIP?)
Johnny Socko
Kemuri (RIP)
King Apparatus (RIP)
Leftover Crack
Less Than Jake
Let's Go Bowling
Link 80 (RIP)
Liberator
Long Shot Hero (RIP)
Mad Caddies
Mephiskapheles (RIP)
MU330
Murphy's Kids
Mustard Plug
No Doubt
No Regrets
Operation Ivy (RIP)
One Cool Guy (RIP)
Ore Ska Band
Pilfers (RIP)
Potshot
Public Service
Rancid
Reel Big Fish
Regatta 69
Royal Noise Brigade (RIP)
Rx Bandits
Save Ferris (RIP)
SGR (RIP)
Skankin' Pickle (RIP)
Ska-p
Skinnerbox
Slapstick (RIP)
Slow Gherkin (RIP)
Sock Full of Pennyz (RIP)
Spider Nick and the Maddogs
Spring Heeled Jack (RIP)
Streetlight Manifesto
Suburban Legends
Superspecs (RIP)
The Aggrolites
The Aquabats
The Arrogant Sons of Bitches (RIP)
The Bruce Lee Band (Uh..RIP? maybe?)
The Busters
The Chinkees (RIP)
The Decepticonz
The Dissenters (RIP)
The Have Nots
The Hippos (RIP)
The Impossibles (RIP)
The Know How (RIP)
The Mafia
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (Please please please please stay this time)
The Pietasters
The Planet Smashers
The Porkers
The Pressure Tones
The Rudiments (RIP)
The Scofflaws
The Siren Six!
The Smooths
The Stitch-Ups
The Stray Bullets (RIP)
The Supertones (RIP)
The Toasters
The Urge (RIP)
The Vagabonds
The W's (RIP)
The Witches
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
Too Many Crooks
Thursday by Six (another goon band)
Voodoo Glow Skulls
Zen Baseballbat

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 4, 2007

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Let's talk about a dead genre. :unsmith:

I grew up in Central Jersey 4-8 years ago. I'd say there in that time was one of the best places to be during ska's highest point. Places like Birch Hill and Krome would play host to bands like RBF, Goldfinger, C22, LTJ and many more lesser-known bands like The Superspecs, Dissenters and Mustard Plug. Now it's all post-hardcore and screamo poo poo.

drat kids nowadays.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

What can you guys tell me about the band Deals Gone Bad? I missed them live with Mustard Plug earlier this year, and I heard some girl talk about them who is not a ska fan at all. I've only heard their songs from MySpace, and I don't know what to feel. Help.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick
I submit this as proof of the awesomality of ska:

Wikipedia article on Madness, a old English ska band

Wikipedia posted:

Madness then announced plans for a reunion concert, Madstock!, which was held at Finsbury Park, London on August 8 and 9 of that year.[29] The original lineup reunited, performing together for the first time since Mike Barson left the band in 1984. Over 75,000 fans attended the weekend festival, and during "One Step Beyond", the crowd danced so much they caused an earth tremor which measured over 4.5 on the Richter scale.

:colbert:

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Ghostpilots posted:

awesomality of ska

That is amazing. Anyway, I'm really happy to see this thread. I was hoping for one for a while now.

I'm going to have to get my hands on as much Ska as I can, since I hadn't even heard of many of those bands.

Perhaps we should post our current favorite bands/albums.

For me it's
Voodoo Glow Skulls - Symbolic
Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere In The Between

That's not to say I don't love the other bands I listen to, but I'd have to say these are my current favorite whole albums(Current not necessarily meaning recently released.)

Oh, and while I'm at it. Two songs I really dig right now are:
Reel Big Fish - The Set Up(You Need This) and Suburban Legends - High Fives

If you guys could recommend songs that sound like these two I'd appreciate it!

edit: I uh, just noticed the tag. Should probably ask a mod about that!

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 2, 2007

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I would hesitate to stick the Slackers in with other third wave bands, I'd say they have just as much of a traditional sound as Hepcat, mixed with reggae and rocksteady.

AnimalsFighting
May 16, 2006

and as a victorian gentlemen, I should inform you that it's called fisticuffs
I had an awesome Ska experience growing up. From 1990-1996ish I was living near Hartford, CT. I didn't even realize how big my local scene really was until a year or two before I moved to Virginia. Moon Ska was huge, I still have my old hoodie and some patches.

Couple other awesome bands: The Siren Six!, The Pacers, The Rudiments, Pilfers, The Porkers, The Smooths, Scofflaws, Skavoovie and the Epitones. edit: Potshot!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

The Urge is the best ska band ever.

Yes i'm from St. Louis.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

The Urge is the best ska band ever.

Yes i'm from St. Louis.

You are from STL and no MU330 love?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Wizard Mannequin posted:

I would hesitate to stick the Slackers in with other third wave bands, I'd say they have just as much of a traditional sound as Hepcat, mixed with reggae and rocksteady.

Yeah, The Slackers were one of the ones I was wary about. There are a few others I think are debatable up there too. I'll switch them to Traditional for now, but I might start doubling up on others if people see the need to.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I played sax in a ska-punk band in Gainesville, Florida in the late '90s called Baker Act. We got together around the time Less Than Jake (local ska-punk heroes) started making a big splash with their major label debut album Losing Streak, and we made a very small splash in the same town. LTJ was good to us -- their bass player Roger recorded a six-song demo tape for us in his apartment studio, and they were big action figure and Pez dispenser collectors just like I was at the time. We played quite a bit around Gainesville, mostly in 1997 and '98, toured Florida (the 1997 Flori-DUH tour), and made it as far out as New Orleans. We recorded in several different studios and got a few of our songs onto compilations, but never released an official album while we were together.

Anyway, Baker Act hasn't been active in years, but I'm still friends with most of the guys, and we recently put up a Myspace page with streaming songs and a history of the band (some of which I didn't even know): http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=243322252

While ska was big in the late '90s, I had the opportunity to see several great bands in concert:
The Skatalites
The Specials
The Toasters (x3)
The Pietasters (x3)
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (x3)
The Scofflaws
The Slackers
Hepcat
Cherry Poppin' Daddies (best known as a swing band, but they played badass ska and tried their hand at every other genre from grunge to country!)
Skavoovie and the Epitones (great big-band inspired ska)
Less Than Jake (saw them countless times, needless to say)
The Hippos (we played shows with them in Miami and Gainesville)
Spring Heeled Jack (played with them in Tallahassee)
The Decepticonz (played with them in Gainesville)
Reel Big Fish
Save Ferris
The Aquabats
Goldfinger
Mad Caddies
MU330
Mustard Plug
Bim Skala Bim
Skinnerbox (a side project of Jeff "King Django" Baker)
The Usuals (a wonderful traditional ska band from Gainesville with a lovely and cute girl singer, Julie Esbjorn. I even auditioned for them once -- they humored me just because I was a huge fan. They have two CDs, distributed by No Idea Records, and I highly recommend them to anyone who likes trad ska and female vocals.)

I could go on and on. I admit I don't listen to too much ska anymore, but I have extremely fond memories of the music and the scene, since my college years came along just in time to be part of the Third Wave.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 2, 2007

Judas Chongo
Sep 12, 2007

My very first concert was The Toasters with Big D and The Kids Table during my freshman year of high school. I feel bad as of late because I moved away from listening to ska, but I recently got into Streetlight Manifesto and got to see them over the summer along with Reel Big Fish (second time seeing them).

Whats the general consensus on Leftover Crack and Choking Victim, more so the latter. I really like "No Gods, No Managers" and it is one of my favorite ska records next to Streetlight's "Everything Goes Numb" (I have not heard the new album yet).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
One of my old housemates was really into ska— I don't like the third wave stuff, but I'm cool with the rest.

Anyway, he'd play this one song that was either by a traditional ska band or a more recent band working in that style. It was called "Dragonfly," and had no lyrics other than a shouted "Dragonfly!" during the main horn riff. I'm quite sure it wasn't one of the bands you have listed here, and I've been unsuccessful in googling it— it was definitely not Ziggy Marley, and the band was not called Dragonfly. I'd have posted this in the "identify this song" thread, but it's also sort of a request for the band in question to be added to your list, as they were really good.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

It's late and I'm tired, but tomorrow, I'll try to write up snippets for my favorite albums so far this year.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Haha, I just noticed Drive Thru Pharmacy on that list. I used to see them every week in churches in South Jersey, heh. Didn't know they were big enough to actually be known outside of the (dead) local scene.

Also, I think the Stray Bullets are broken up too.

roastpork
Oct 13, 2005

My underbelly is rock hard. It can go all night.
Back in the day, when alternative radio stations were awesome, I heard my first bit of ska courtesy of Reel Big Fish. And up until the past year, it hadn't mattered much.

But then came Streetlight Manifesto and [spunge], among others. I rediscovered my love for the style and attitude for the music, it just seems like everyone has a good ol' time. :unsmith:

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Haha, I just noticed Drive Thru Pharmacy on that list. I used to see them every week in churches in South Jersey, heh. Didn't know they were big enough to actually be known outside of the (dead) local scene.

Also, I think the Stray Bullets are broken up too.

I have a few songs of theirs. I grew up in Delaware, so we always had a ear to South Jersey's ska scene. As for the Stray Bullets, I tried to find a definite answer, but couldn't. If you can find me something, I'll change it.

Also, I'm going to bed, but I'll update the OP with new bands, etc. tomorrow. Also, along with Zombie, feel free to review CDs in here. I'll link them in the OP.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 2, 2007

gang control
Nov 1, 2007
what a thing to say at the table
I can't wait for November 13th so I can go to the Streetlight show in Boston, buy a legit copy of their album and hopefully throw some merch money at them. What a lovable band.

On another note, anybody know anything about Regatta 69? They have a song "Someone to Cling To" on that Ska: The Third Wave compilation but they pretty much don't exist according to the internet. I'm sure they're just boring third-wave ska but the song I mentioned is really good and I'm wondering if anybody else likes their stuff.

edit: Leftover Crack and Choking Victim are really good (got my username from a LoC song) but most of the kids I've met at locals shows etc haven't heard of them or don't really consider them ska. And I guess they're not, but if you put any stock into subgenres I'd call them skacore with a straight face.

gang control fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 2, 2007

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I say this in every ska thread, but Mephiskapheles's God Bless Satan is without a doubt in my mind the greatest third-wave ska album ever conceived.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Uh, also, I could have sworn I picked the Hype! thread tag. Could a mod change it?

vv Good call. I was doing Trad and 2-tone from memory, I had to bust out my music directory for third wave. I'll put that in now :3:

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 2, 2007

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
lessthankyle if you do not listen to Desmond Dekker, with the kind of ska love you are professing, you really ought to.

I should listen more to the 2 Tone stuff.

itscatchingup
Jan 5, 2007
"I cant read this its like reading the Holocaust!
Man, Bad Manners recently canceled a tour so they can record a new album. Thats fine in a way, but it sucks to miss classic live ska.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.
I love (third-wave) ska to pieces, but I have never been quite satisfied with the amount of ska bands that I actually like. For me, it's pretty much Reel Big Fish, old Catch-22, Suicide Machines, and of course Streetlight Manifesto.. I like some Suburban Legends, I used to see them all the time when they played here (Bay Area) back in high school. But I've yet to find another ska band that really does it for me...

Except for an awesome Boston band called Stray Bullets. Has anyone else heard these guys? They're freaking fantastic, they remind me of the Suicide Machines but they have a really unique sound to them. Their singer has an awesome sense of rhythm, it really adds a lot to them. I'd check 'em out.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
Thanks so much for making this thread. I'm really glad I mentioned it now. :unsmith:

I've lived in England all my life, but during the late 90s I started to really get into the third wave (Less Than Jake were pretty much the gateway band for me - Pezcore was my first album, and it grew from there), despite there being absolutely no scene for it down here. When I was a kid I absolutely loved Madness, and my mum was always a big fan of Prince Buster, so that's stuck with me. I love all "waves".

The most enjoyable shows of my life were both this year: Mad Caddies in Exeter (the entire room became a circle pit, Eduardo jumped in to join us, and Sascha shook my hand), and the Shout It Loud tour in Orlando. I'm hoping to see a lot more bands in 2008 and already have my ticket for Sonic Boom Six, Streetlight and Reel Big Fish in February for a local show. It seems there's a lot more interest for live ska in my part of the country now, which is awesome as hell.

Thornes posted:

Perhaps we should post our current favorite bands/albums.

Mine:
Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere in the Between
Mad Caddies - Keep It Going

I really wish I could say the same for Less Than Jake - In With the Out Crowd, but their most recent stuff really hasn't been doing it for me. :(

demolition rickshaw fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 2, 2007

Judas Chongo
Sep 12, 2007

Mr. Heavy posted:

I say this in every ska thread, but Mephiskapheles's God Bless Satan is without a doubt in my mind the greatest third-wave ska album ever conceived.

I have "Maximum Perversion" and I have to say its a pretty good album, but it kinda feels like its missing something.

gang control
Nov 1, 2007
what a thing to say at the table

demolition rickshaw posted:

Mad Caddies - Keep It Going[/b]

Oh man, thank you. I had totally forgotten about the Mad Caddies and their whole discography is pretty good. Also, if you guys haven't heard them you should track down some One Cool Guy which is one or two of the guys from Streetlight in an old band. Oh and they have a song about Bill Cosby and a song about anal sex. And they're the same song.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
This thread brought back a lot of memories.

The Philly ska scene was pretty ridiculous in the late '90s, early 2000s. We had this awesome local band called "Eighty Proof Soul" They had great musicians, and their singer had a great voice and was really beautiful. I may have to upload a few .mp3s from their one and only record for you guys, really high quality. I first got into playing trombone from this band. I actually bought my first one from their trombone player back then.

I don't listen to anything now except for Rx Bandits, but even they have evolved to something more like a political jam band with distant ska roots. My favorite old song from them was "Who Would've Thought" and "Gun in Your Hand".

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Judas Chongo posted:

Whats the general consensus on Leftover Crack and Choking Victim, more so the latter. I really like "No Gods, No Managers" and it is one of my favorite ska records next to Streetlight's "Everything Goes Numb" (I have not heard the new album yet).

Choking Victim's reunion show on 9/11/05 was one of the best shows I've ever been to. By the time they played 500 Channels, you couldn't even stay on your feet for more than 2 or 3 seconds before getting knocked down.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Mr. Heavy posted:

An excellent loving album. Sometimes I'll randomly start singing "Yum yum bumbleebee bumblebee tuna, I love bumblebee bumblebee tuna, yum yum bumblebee bumblebee tuna, love a sandwich made with bumblebee!" around people. Not the whole song, that would be crazy, but just that part.

I don't think anyone gets the reference.

Anyway, to those around the NY area I recently saw a band called Lemonade Grenade and they weren't half bad!

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

I can't say I'm a huge ska fan but I like some stuff, mostly third wave. Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish are playing a UK tour next year - anyone know when tickets go on sale? Definitely planning on going to the Leeds gig.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!

kenthebear posted:

I can't say I'm a huge ska fan but I like some stuff, mostly third wave. Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish are playing a UK tour next year - anyone know when tickets go on sale? Definitely planning on going to the Leeds gig.

I got mine a couple of days ago from here; my confirmation said they'd be posted ASAP.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Booties posted:

This thread brought back a lot of memories.

The Philly ska scene was pretty ridiculous in the late '90s, early 2000s. We had this awesome local band called "Eighty Proof Soul" They had great musicians, and their singer had a great voice and was really beautiful. I may have to upload a few .mp3s from their one and only record for you guys, really high quality. I first got into playing trombone from this band. I actually bought my first one from their trombone player back then.

I don't listen to anything now except for Rx Bandits, but even they have evolved to something more like a political jam band with distant ska roots. My favorite old song from them was "Who Would've Thought" and "Gun in Your Hand".

Ruder Than You is one of my favorite Philly bands, I saw em for the first time with the Slackers years ago and they honestly stole the show.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Ruder Than You is one of my favorite Philly bands, I saw em for the first time with the Slackers years ago and they honestly stole the show.

I haven't been to a philly show in a while, but what happened to SGR? They were one of my absolute favorites, but suddenly dropped off after their lastest record release.

Judas Chongo
Sep 12, 2007

jetgrindeggy posted:

Choking Victim's reunion show on 9/11/05 was one of the best shows I've ever been to. By the time they played 500 Channels, you couldn't even stay on your feet for more than 2 or 3 seconds before getting knocked down.

When I saw Leftover Crack last year they played pretty big chunk of Choking Victim songs and even "Heroine or Suicide".

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

lessthankyle posted:

I haven't been to a philly show in a while, but what happened to SGR? They were one of my absolute favorites, but suddenly dropped off after their lastest record release.

I'm pretty they were on hiatus. I know they played a re-union type show in Trenton not too long ago.

The philly scene seems to be picking up some steam, mostly thanks to phillyska.com. My current favorite local band is Last Martyrs of A Lost Cause. Before them, it was The Specs. Their last album, The Declaration of Independence EP is phenomenal. It's more of a heavy rock with horns sound, which is something I absolutely love, and need more of.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

lessthankyle posted:

Yeah I only remember them coming out with Tenby Chase. I followed them around town for a long time after I heard that album.

Didn't they have a contest to guess what SGR stands for? I think it was Smoking Glass Richard. Great name for a band.

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

don't know where else to put this, but it has to be asked:

does "please don't tell her i have a girlfriend" by Reel Big Fish remind anyone else of Billy Joel? Maybe its the accordion, but really the whole song sounds like a song Joel might write as a joke.

Not to say i don't like the song. I dig it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I'm very much glad for this thread, I hadn't really heard of Buck-O-Nine before but I just bought their album "Twenty Eight Teeth" on Amazon and it's pretty sweet.

Gonna be going through that whole list of bands, could always use more music! Even though this could be bad for my bank account.

Also, I think I Voted For Kodos is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
No love for the Trojans?

Admittedly they are kinda a gimmick band, but they bring a unique perspective to the trad. style.