Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

demolition rickshaw posted:

I really wish I could say the same for Less Than Jake - In With the Out Crowd, but their most recent stuff really hasn't been doing it for me. :(

I've recently learned to love this album. Most songs aren't ska, but you just have to embrace the poppy goodness. The lyrics are so generic it's great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Anyway, Baker Act hasn't been active in years, but I'm still friends with most of the guys, and we recently put up a Myspace page with streaming songs and a history of the band (some of which I didn't even know): http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=243322252

This is awesome.

Also, does anybody know if Ska-P is dead or not? I'd love to see them live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
What would be a good first wave band to start off with, as I haven't really heard a lot of early ska? I like third wave the best but dub is pretty awesome too and I'd really like to try something to get to know the roots of one of my favorite genres.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

The Skatalites.

Try "From Paris With Love," it has less vocal tracks than some of the other stuff I've heard.

ribena
Nov 24, 2004

Hag.

rocketpotato posted:

No love for Capdown? Granted their newer stuff is a lot different than their old stuff but its still worth a listen. Ska Wars however, still remains one of my favourite Ska songs ever. But they've split up and are playing their last ever show on the 9th November.

gently caress. I just saw on their website that this show has been postponed. And I had tickets too :(. Funny thing is I haven't heard a peep from the venue; if I hadn't have happened to check the website I'd never have known.

Also, I agree with what you're saying about ska. About 3/4 years ago when I was just finishing sixth form I used to go to ska shows every weekend with my friends (even saw the Bosstones although to my shame I didn't really know that much about them back then so didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. I hate myself.) but now there's barely anything on. Rock City (my local alt. club) plays the token two ska songs of a night but that's it. Too much MCR spoils the broth :cry:.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

the_Vandal posted:

What would be a good first wave band to start off with, as I haven't really heard a lot of early ska? I like third wave the best but dub is pretty awesome too and I'd really like to try something to get to know the roots of one of my favorite genres.

Prince Buster, Desmond Dekker, Justin Hinds, The Skatalites, Toots and The Maytals (although most of their stuff is reggae), Lee "Scratch" Perry (non-dub stuff), Laurel Aitken, Tommy McCook, The Aggrovators, etc.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I don't know if anyone is gonna read this in the near future, but if you do, this is very important (quoted from the bosstones thread):

quote:

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are pleased to announce a very special New Year’s Eve show in Providence, RI at Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel.

A limited number of tickets have been held for Mighty Mighty Bosstones fans and are available NOW (5PM EST) through an exclusive presale! By buying tickets through our presale, you'll be able to get your tickets before anyone else AND save some money on service charges.

Click here to buy presale tickets: http://bosstones.ducatking.com

In an effort to minimize scalping, there is a 4 ticket limit per customer and all presale tickets are will call only. You can pick up your presale tickets the night of the show with a copy of the receipt and a MATCHING valid photo ID in order to check in and enter the venue. PLEASE MAKE SURE THE WILL CALL NAME IS CORRECT WHEN YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER. You will be emailed a copy of your receipt immediately after your order is completed. Please check your receipt to make sure all info is correct. Only the person whose name is listed as the will call name on the receipt with be able to check in the night of the show.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Messyass posted:

Also, does anybody know if Ska-P is dead or not? I'd love to see them live.

Last I checked, they were, but maybe it's a hiatus. But check out The Locos. It's the lead singer and maybe another 2 members from Ska-P. The album they put out last year is pretty good. Maybe a little punker sounding than Ska-P.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
I really enjoy Ska, but mostly first-wave Ska. I know of a few bands, Toots and the Maytals and Millie Small...who else should I be checking out? I'm a huge, huge fan of doo-wop/R&B by the way, if that makes a difference

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

good god. I am going to camp out for tickets to the Bosstones on the 31st. Not even kidding. Its my birthday!

Teferet
Oct 22, 2005

by Fragmaster

brb buddy posted:

I really enjoy Ska, but mostly first-wave Ska. I know of a few bands, Toots and the Maytals and Millie Small...who else should I be checking out? I'm a huge, huge fan of doo-wop/R&B by the way, if that makes a difference

Desmond Dekker and the Skatalites are good.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

lessthankyle posted:

Oh god, female ska singers. They make me weak in the knees :3:

You can't forget Dance Hall Crashers :swoon:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

brb buddy posted:

Did you completely ignore my post a view posts above this one?

The Gasman Cometh
Feb 27, 2004
MILK

brb buddy posted:

If you like R&B then get the Trojan Records R&B box set. Basically Jamaican artists playing American style R&B but you can hear the ska rhythm coming about. Along similar lines a compilation called 'Duke Reid - the Trojan: Mark Lamarr Presents...Nuclear Weapon - Rare & Previously Unissued Early 60's Ska'

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I'm just popping in to say how much I miss The Suicide Machines :smith:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The Gasman Cometh posted:

If you like R&B then get the Trojan Records R&B box set. Basically Jamaican artists playing American style R&B but you can hear the ska rhythm coming about. Along similar lines a compilation called 'Duke Reid - the Trojan: Mark Lamarr Presents...Nuclear Weapon - Rare & Previously Unissued Early 60's Ska'

Should probably also check out any Rocksteady compilations.

Nice username by the way.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Even though I look back on a lot of my ska collection and scoff, Telegraph and Animal Chin are still two of my favorite bands of all time. They both started out at straight up ska bands but morphed into hybrids that were much more interesting.

I guess that's the rub for ska with me. Having played in a ska band or two, and having liked the music for several years, I can say that the most likely reason ska has gone back underground is that it's a very limiting genre - both for the bands and the listener. You can only tweak the sound it so much without it changing from a ska song into something else. I think that's why so many bands abandoned the traditional offbeat sound after coming out with a CD or two...they just got bored.

Don't get me wrong, I'll fire up my Slapstick CD in my car with the windows down when it's a nice day, but when I want a quiet Sunday night listen, I'm reaching for something else with more depth.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I just saw Westbound Train at the Streetlight show in the NYC. For a band I'd never heard of they were pretty amazing. You guys should check them out when you have the chance. They do Ska, they do Reggae, they do lots of things. And they do it all well!

More on the show though. Were any other goons there? (Grand Ballroom, NYC, Nov 10th)

It was amazing. The bands there were The Stitch-Ups, Westbound Train, Suburban Legends, and of course Streetlight Manifesto

The Stitch-Ups were okay, nothing too special but the singer was pretty funny.

Westbound Train was a complete surprise with how awesome they were.

Suburban Legends were very entertaining with their boy-bandish choreography. And they played High Fives which is all I really wanted from them. :unsmith:

Streetlight Manifesto was, of course, amazing. They played songs from Everything Goes Numb, Somewhere in the Between or "Somewhere in the Bittorrent" if I heard him correctly. :laugh: They also played Keasbey Nights and songs from B.O.T.A.R

The only thing that upset me was that they didn't play The Receiving End of It All

I'm so glad I went. I sat up in the balcony though because I didn't have the energy to stay on the floor all night. Plus I'm short and I like to be able to see the bands, and I also felt like everyone else was a High School kid. I guess I'm too old for this stuff. It was pretty funny though, from up there I was able to see every single time someone lit up a joint (Which was pretty often).

TGKB
Jan 29, 2003

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

Thornes posted:

Streetlight Manifesto was, of course, amazing. They played songs from Everything Goes Numb, Somewhere in the Between or "Somewhere in the Bittorrent" if I heard him correctly. :laugh: They also played Keasbey Nights and songs from B.O.T.A.R

The only thing that upset me was that they didn't play The Receiving End of It All

I'm so glad I went. I sat up in the balcony though because I didn't have the energy to stay on the floor all night. Plus I'm short and I like to be able to see the bands, and I also felt like everyone else was a High School kid. I guess I'm too old for this stuff. It was pretty funny though, from up there I was able to see every single time someone lit up a joint (Which was pretty often).

Haha, I'm going to their show next week in Troy, NY and this is exactly what I pictured it would be like. Except instead of high school kids it is going to be college kids from Albany.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

TGKB posted:

Haha, I'm going to their show next week in Troy, NY and this is exactly what I pictured it would be like. Except instead of high school kids it is going to be college kids from Albany.

You'd be surprised. I went to a show around Troy once (I used to go to RPI so needless to say I hate Troy) and it was also filled with high school kids!

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
Ska

RadioactiveKid fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 19, 2020

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[

demolition rickshaw posted:

I really wish I could say the same for Less Than Jake - In With the Out Crowd, but their most recent stuff really hasn't been doing it for me. :(

I'm might be the biggest LTJ fan on these boards (maybe -- I've seen them 16 times in the past 7 years), and I'm really looking forward to the next album. They got out of their Warner Bros contract, so hopefully the next album will have much less label influence (aka removing the horns for radio play) and production. If Reel Big Fish's latest is any indication (and I really hope it is), they are still very much a punk/ska band, but were being held back by their label.

That being said, IWTOC has some amazing songs on it. Most of it is pretty generic and alright, and thankfully there isn't anything as bad as She's Gonna Break Soon. However, Still Life Franchise and P.S. Shock The World are both loving incredible and probably two of my favorite LTJ songs ever. The B-Sides are all really great too, it's really sad they were side-lined, almost certainly by WB, because they are too ska-sounding. I think Even Trophy Boys and Girls Sing the Blues may be the first LTJ song written in 3/4 time (please correct me if I'm wrong).

On the bright side, they could put out crap from now until the end of time and their live shows would still be loving amazing. The amount of poo poo they bring on tour is nuts. I've seen everything from the usual confetti cannons and toilet-paper/leaf-blower streamers to a wall of old TVs on the Vidiots tour to a fire-breather multiple times and most recently a full on Price is Right setup when they toured with Reel Big Fish. Oh, and the time before that I saw them play a benefit concert in their/my hometown of Gainesville which was almost exclusively requests for two plus hours. They played Mike Sinkovich at my request, and Buddy played the horn intro of Scott Farcas just for me after Chris said he didn't want to play that song (which is insane because it's loving amazing). Oh, and I can't forget the "Wheel of Jake" tour where a majority of the set list was voted on by fans online. The winning selections were placed on a big spinning wheel, and the just kept spinning the wheel and playing whatever it landed on (except when they moved it off Soundcheck to play something else, that was a real bummer for me).

On another topic, I simply cannot believe that Streetlight Manifesto's "Somewhere in the Between" lived up to the hype. I thought that was going to be an impossible feat.

StrikerObi fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 12, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

They wouldn't play Scott Farcas at the Florida Friends tour during requests either. Chris said something a long the lines of "that song loving sucks." They played just about any other song, including old/rare stuff.

IWTOC does have good songs, but they're so overproduced on the CD. A lot of the songs live are pretty good.

Vinny said they're trying to get "the energy" back into the next album, as the production of IWTOC kind of sucked it out.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Thornes posted:

Westbound Train was a complete surprise with how awesome they were.

Transitions is an incredible cd. In fact all of them are. I'd would love to see them live, from what I've heard they put on quite a show.

Any Aggrolites fans here? They are easily one of my favorite bands. I saw them live in Toronto not too long ago and it was one of the best shows I've been to. Every one of their records blow me away, and I listen to them over and over again.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Thornes posted:

Good to know I wasn't the only one there who's finished high school (it sure as hell felt like it).

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

They wouldn't play Scott Farcas at the Florida Friends tour during requests either. Chris said something a long the lines of "that song loving sucks." They played just about any other song, including old/rare stuff.

IWTOC does have good songs, but they're so overproduced on the CD. A lot of the songs live are pretty good.

Vinny said they're trying to get "the energy" back into the next album, as the production of IWTOC kind of sucked it out.

Why is Chris such a douche sometimes? Scott Farcas is easily in my top 5 LTJ songs, it's got so much loving energy.

Anyway, I just found out that they're playing a FREE show tonight with Reel Big Fish in Gainesville. It's only a two hour drive to there from here in Tallahassee. I'm getting in my car shortly. This will be my 17th show and (I think) my 15th in Gainesville (I lived there from 1999-2002 before I went to college up here in Tally, where I now live). Their hometown shows always blow the poo poo out of the rest that I've been to.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

jetgrindeggy posted:

Good to know I wasn't the only one there who's finished high school (it sure as hell felt like it).

:smith:

This is ska in the Boston area :/ Its me and my two friends who play trombone who are the creepy old guys at shows. Well I don't think i'm creepy, but there's like a 5 year age gap between me and everybody around me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

StrikerObi posted:

Why is Chris such a douche sometimes? Scott Farcas is easily in my top 5 LTJ songs, it's got so much loving energy.

Anyway, I just found out that they're playing a FREE show tonight with Reel Big Fish in Gainesville. It's only a two hour drive to there from here in Tallahassee. I'm getting in my car shortly. This will be my 17th show and (I think) my 15th in Gainesville (I lived there from 1999-2002 before I went to college up here in Tally, where I now live). Their hometown shows always blow the poo poo out of the rest that I've been to.

I visited Gainesville over the weekend and saw a poster advertising that free show. It made me nostalgic for all the times I saw LTJ when I went to college at UF (mostly 1996-2000), and how amazing they were back then. I guarantee that if I went to the show tonight, I would just feel ancient and get depressed, and I used to be an acquaintance of LTJ and in a Gainesville ska-punk band of my own.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

StrikerObi posted:

I agree, I love that song.

I wish I wasn't a good 5 hour drive from Gainesville.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
P.S. Shock the world is one of my favorite LTJ songs of all time. Freakin Amazing.

Teferet
Oct 22, 2005

by Fragmaster
I think I'm the only person I know who likes ska. Every time someone new gets into my car I get asked what the hell I'm listening to.

Anyway, has anyone heard of the World/Inferno Friendship Society? They aren't exactly a ska band but they do play a lot of ska stuff and are a bit like Streetlight Manifesto. Supposedly they have some huge festival up near Boston every year around Halloween.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Teferet posted:

I think I'm the only person I know who likes ska. Every time someone new gets into my car I get asked what the hell I'm listening to.

Anyway, has anyone heard of the World/Inferno Friendship Society? They aren't exactly a ska band but they do play a lot of ska stuff and are a bit like Streetlight Manifesto. Supposedly they have some huge festival up near Boston every year around Halloween.

Is this a joke post? W/IFS is awesome but I would be interested to know what songs you detect any sort of ska sounds from.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Well, if anyone's interested, I am in a British ska band called The Lockup. We play heavily two-tone flavoured stuff with some dub and reggae influences thrown in. We're not huge, but we get around the underground scene a fair old bit, and I'd say we have quite a good name for ourselves. We've been gigging about 3 years, and have played with The Beat and The Pietasters to namedrop a couple. There's a couple of songs up on https://www.myspace.com/thelockup, and we have a some newer, unreleased (and in my opinion more mature) stuff that I could maybe host for goons, if anyone likes it. We're playing with The Trojans in Birmingham (UK) at the end of the month, if anyone fancies it.

p.s. hot female vocalist! :fap:

(I also used to be in a ska-punk band called The Brass Monkeys, we are practicing for a couple of reunion gigs at the moment, but we're a bit rubbish currently, so I'm not posting any links.)

chippy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You guys have a great sound! Much more traditional than I was expecting, and very cool.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Chipyy posted:

Well, if anyone's interested, I am in a British ska band called The Lockup. We play heavily two-tone flavoured stuff with some dub and reggae influences thrown in. We're not huge, but we get around the underground scene a fair old bit, and I'd say we have quite a good name for ourselves. We've been gigging about 3 years, and have played with The Beat and The Pietasters to namedrop a couple. There's a couple of songs up on https://www.myspace.com/thelockup, and we have a some newer, unreleased (and in my opinion more mature) stuff that I could maybe host for goons, if anyone likes it. We're playing with The Trojans in Birmingham (UK) at the end of the month, if anyone fancies it.

p.s. hot female vocalist! :fap:

(I also used to be in a ska-punk band called The Brass Monkeys, we are practicing for a couple of reunion gigs at the moment, but we're a bit rubbish currently, so I'm not posting any links.)

Not bad, is Espionage influenced by Secret Agent Man by the Toasters? I always love a band that isn't afraid to throw in the keys.

Also, I'm jealous you get to play with the Trojans, I didn't know they were still together.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Chipyy posted:

The Lockup.

Wow man those songs were a lot better than I expected. Not to say I doubted you, but I mean those songs were really really good!

You should release some more songs. Hell, with that kind of sound quality in recording you should release an album. I don't know how much it would cost to ship to America but I'd buy it!

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!

Chipyy posted:

The Lockup

Those songs sound really awesome; I'm certainly in support of hearing the other stuff! Have you ever played in Devon?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just got the Citizen Fish/Leftover Crack split "Deadline" which is surprisingly good. I liked Genocidal Tendencies and Meltdown the most, they were pretty energetic songs. I want to hear more Citizen Fish.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I went to that show in Gainesville last night. I live in Orlando and made the trip over, and I really thought LTJ put on a good show but the crowd was dead. I just couldn't really enjoy it when the pit was just a bunch of dudes standing around with their arms crossed.

They played History of a Boring Town, though, which I've only seen them play once before (this was my 4th time seeing them) and that's my favorite live song. Only one better is Reel Big Fish's SR, when they go through the full genre list.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Thanks a lot guys. That may well be me first ever positively received post on SA. We have a not quite finished album that's kind of sat in limbo due to lack of funds, lineup changes and people disagreeing over what to do with it. It's kind of sad, because it's slightly rushed but I do think it's mostly all good, and I'd like people to hear it. I'll choose a couple of choice tracks and stick them up here.

To the guy that asked, we've never played in Devon, but one of our singers is currently residing there (in a caravan, no less) so I'll have to get her to ask about and find a venue. We're having a quiet few months at the moment after a rather busy summer.

p.s. if you're a UK goon and fancy supporting us, you can get our first EP for a very fair price at http://www.punkermentality.com/moreinfo.php?id=6900. I'm not sure if they would ship to America but I can find it.

p.p.s. ^ I'm really sorry if I'm not allowed to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh
First of all, Mysterious Aftertaste, I like your taste in Avatar. I took that picture:

http://markperdomo.smugmug.com/gallery/603350#25441879

Second of all, speaking as somebody who has been into Streetlight Manifesto for a long time (the show that pic is from is 2005, and that was one of the LAST shows I shot of theirs), and the person who runs the largest Streetlight Messageboard, I find it both interesting and hilarious how popular Streetlight has gotten. And as people have mentioned.....not "entirely" ska, but I think they deserve the distinction.

Streetlight is amazingly huge these days, and i'm very happy for the success of the guys in the band, even thouh they still have to work lovely jobs teaching marching band and stuff to get by.