Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

seventeen posted:

I was asking if there has been a tribute album to the Aquabats, not where can I find their cds

Why would a band that is pretty much still going have a tribute album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

seventeen posted:

I was asking if there has been a tribute album to the Aquabats, not where can I find their cds

Oh. Sorry if that was snarky, then. I figured you were asking for their cds which are pretty well known versus ASOB or like. Mustard Plug, even.

If you don't like Suburban Legends, do you like Whole Wheat Bread? They're not a "ska" band but they've been on a ton (pretty much every single major ska show in the northeast in the past what 4 years, at least) of playbills with "ska" bands. Just replace "choreography" with "black" under the gimmick box. They're not the best band ever but I like them. I can put them on for a lot of non-ska listeners and have them not have that "ewww ska" revulsion thing going on.

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 21, 2007

Zilla
Nov 14, 2005

can you see my nuts
I went to the Streelight Manifesto concert in Atlanta, GA last night. I had planned on not going but I got off of work early and I completed a two hour drive in 1:20 minutes and only missed the first opening band. I saw the last few songs of Stitch Ups and then all of Suburban Legend's set. I thought the choreographed stuff was kind of neat, and they finished with "I Just Can't Wait To Be King," which was oddly amazing.

Everyone in the audience knew every word to every Streetlight song and it was incredible. Due to my buddy's convincing I joined him in the 'skank circle' and had a blast. And of course the usual hospitality was there; if you fell you would have 12 sets of hands come out of nowhere and help you up. A lucky friend of mine got Tomas' guitar pick after they finished, and we waited around for an hour afterwards to meet him.

This was actually my first ska concert, and overall it was probably the best show I've ever seen.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If any UK Goons fancy seeing The Trojans this weekend, along with my band The Lockup and some others, there is a drat good ska/dub/reggae party going down in Birmingham (UK) at the Rainbow Warehouse on Saturday night. And entry's only a fiver before midnight.

Here's the myspace with details for the event: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=76349623

And here's a lovely flyer:

chippy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 23, 2007

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

assuming thats the Trojans that mixes trad ska with Celtic music, that looks like it'll be an awesome show and I wish I could go.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.
I wanted to throw in my opinion and agree that Somewhere in the Between does, incredibly, live up to the hype. It's the only album I have ever heard that, when I listen to it, I don't skip ANY tracks. Every single song on that album is fantastic, and I can't say that about any other of my favorite albums.

I used to go to SL shows all the time four or five years ago. They were a part of the local scene here, despite not being local (I'm in the Bay Area). My old band actually played a bill with them a while ago, they're really nice guys. And though they're not ska now, they did USED to be ska. Their very early songs, as well as their self-titled EP, are most definitely ska. I was a bit disappointed that Rump Shaker deviated a bit from third wave ska (it was more rock-with-horns), and also that it shamelessly ripped off RBF and FIF's style, but I like RBF and FIF, so I still dug the album.

I listened to some stuff on their Myspace today for the first time in years. They're definitely not ska anymore. But they do put on a great, fun live show.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Mike_V posted:

Why would a band that is pretty much still going have a tribute album?

Because other bands that are still together do? Like Metallica, for instance

The Gasman Cometh
Feb 27, 2004
MILK
A few more decent bands that I havent seen mentioned:

Rude Rich & The High Notes
The Hotknives
Smoke Like A Fish
The Pepper Pots
Arthur Kays Originals
Maroon Town
Rebelation
Pama International
The New Town Kings
The Splitters
Potato 5
The Blue Beat Players
The Special Guests
Liberator
The Pressure Tones
The Top Cats
Zen Baseball Bat
Squid 58
Too Many Crooks
The Riffs

Also a mention for Derrick Morgan and Laurel Aitken (RIP) for the traditional section of the OP. Oh and you might want to add an RIP to Desmond Dekkers name. :(

Lucidity
Oct 11, 2007

by Lowtax
When i lived in toronto there was a whole lot of third-wave lovely ska band, but there was one really famous band called The Makeshift Heroes. By far the best talent in Toronto, there broken up now, and i got to see there last concert before i moved. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=7430079 Tell me what you think

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Lucidity posted:

When i lived in toronto there was a whole lot of third-wave lovely ska band, but there was one really famous band called The Makeshift Heroes. By far the best talent in Toronto, there broken up now, and i got to see there last concert before i moved. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=7430079 Tell me what you think

Ah, that's pretty good stuff. Still, I can't help but lawl at the comments box. Just another reminder of why Myspace fails it. But yeah, that's some pretty good stuff there.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Five Iron Frenzy seems to be pretty popular, but they have a bunch of albums. I don't know where to start! Anyone have a favorite they can recommend?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Thornes posted:

Five Iron Frenzy seems to be pretty popular, but they have a bunch of albums. I don't know where to start! Anyone have a favorite they can recommend?

I'd start with Five Iron Frenzy 2: Electric Boogaloo. All together, probably my favorite.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Uh, try this order

Electric Boogaloo
The End is Near
Our Newest Album Ever

If you like those, you'll like the other ones.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
I just got back from the Streetlight concert at the Meridian in Houston and it was fan-loving-tastic. The Stitch Up were alright, but they were cool and got a guy out of the audience to play guitar on one song. Suburban Legends were awesome. They played a bunch of their good songs and only played one off the new album, but that was fine cause it was All Around the World which is really catchy. They also let us choose between them closing with Under the Sea or Just Can't Wait to be King (Under the Sea won). This was my first time seeing their dance choreography other than in youtube videos and it did not dissapoint. And finally, Streetlight was perfect. The crowd seemed to know all the lyrics and they were really energetic, basically making the entire thing a mosh. SM came back for an encore, although I can't remember which song it was (possibly Here's to Life).

straight up cash
Oct 28, 2007
10 dollars, an empty bottle of Soco, and a hangover later, I somehow have a SA account?
Definitely found this thread looking for Streetlight comments. The new C.D. rocks my socks.

Glad to see Stray Bullets mentioned (Reppin Boston Ska) Anyone interested should check out the lead singer/guitarist's new band, The Have Nots. Same feel, slightly more chill, but all around awesome.

If you're looking for a more relaxed sound, check out Spiritual Rez. 7 piece reggae horn funk dance party. drat good time. I saw them with the Aggrolites, who were also ill. gotta love that dirty reggae.

nach0king
Jan 11, 2007

GET BACK TO WORK!!!
Kickass thread - can we get the Aggrolites added to the master list in post #2? They last released a record in June 07 so they're active.

Not been to a show since Mad Caddies several months ago. Felt very old, still had a good time. Not the best Caddies gig I've been to, though.

nach0king fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 27, 2007

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Sorry I've been absent lately, lots of travel going on. I'll update the OP ASAP with new bands, etc.

nach0king
Jan 11, 2007

GET BACK TO WORK!!!
Excellent - great to see the thread still alive.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Wizard Mannequin posted:

assuming thats the Trojans that mixes trad ska with Celtic music, that looks like it'll be an awesome show and I wish I could go.

It is, and it was. Had a sweet night and The Trojans were brilliant. And we were pretty good as well.

Facebook goons, please join our (new) fan page if you like our stuff. Tunes on the page. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=5990478570

chippy fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 28, 2007

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
So I've recently discovered Amazon.com's awesome MP3 downloading service, and I'm trying to build up my ska collection that way. I was interested in getting into Big D and the Kids Table, but their discography is somewhat daunting - any Big D fans want to sort of sum up their albums for me, recommend which ones to start at, etc?

If it helps, I prefer my ska fast and synth-free (any other bands that fit this bill would be nice to hear, as well).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BrandNewHero posted:

So I've recently discovered Amazon.com's awesome MP3 downloading service, and I'm trying to build up my ska collection that way.
Incidentally, if anyone else -- like me -- is only buying MP3s at this point, Amazon has recently added Mustard Plug and Streetlight Manifesto to their catalogue.

mrfancycrackers
Nov 17, 2007

by Ozma

BrandNewHero posted:

So I've recently discovered Amazon.com's awesome MP3 downloading service, and I'm trying to build up my ska collection that way. I was interested in getting into Big D and the Kids Table, but their discography is somewhat daunting - any Big D fans want to sort of sum up their albums for me, recommend which ones to start at, etc?

If it helps, I prefer my ska fast and synth-free (any other bands that fit this bill would be nice to hear, as well).

Shot by Lammi- very raw, clearly self-recorded... some good songs on it, though. Mostly 3rd wavey with a bit of jazz influence

Good Luck- great album- 3rd wave pop punk kinda, Dave's vocals are very shouty. I would start with this one.

Gipsy Hill- A lot punkier and heavier. Get this one second, Checklist is probably their best song

How It Goes- overly long and lots of weird tracks. Some good stuff, though. I'm not really a fan of it.

Salem Girls- stupid

Strictly Rude- overrated and Alternative Press is jocking them hard now, so this one gets hyped a lot. It's really not what Big D is good at and it's kinda lame. I actually liked the From Beijing to Boston split they did with Brain Faliure better than this.

mrfancycrackers fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 1, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Strictly Rude is awesome :colbert:

But I think the Gypsy Hill EP is the best overall thing Big D has released.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

So let me ask this to all the goons:

How many of you went to the Shout it Outloud tour with RBF, Less Than Jake, Streetlight, and Against All Authority?

Bonus points if you were at the STL show!

Let me say this, that show was amazing and it convinced a few of my friends that ska is no longer a dead genre if there are still shows like this in the world.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

So let me ask this to all the goons:

How many of you went to the Shout it Outloud tour with RBF, Less Than Jake, Streetlight, and Against All Authority?

Bonus points if you were at the STL show!

Let me say this, that show was amazing and it convinced a few of my friends that ska is no longer a dead genre if there are still shows like this in the world.

I was gonna go but then realized I didn't want to pay $25 or whatever to see AAA play for 20 minutes and then leave.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
Anyone else listen to Dan Potthast's (of MU330) solo work? It's not ska at all, but I figure this is as appropriate thread as any. Sweets & Meats is a really excellent album and Potthast is a killer songwriter.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

guppy posted:

Incidentally, if anyone else -- like me -- is only buying MP3s at this point, Amazon has recently added Mustard Plug and Streetlight Manifesto to their catalogue.

I really like Mustard Plug's style, but I really don't like too many of their songs. It's unfortunate, I only like maybe one out of every five MP songs I hear.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Thornes posted:

Yeah the "funny singer" comment was mine. Still mostly knew to Ska so I don't really know my stuff but I do know I enjoy it! I still need to check out MU330

I'm sorry if I came off as sounding snarky. I just really like MU330, and I always forgot that they're not as popular as I think they are. If you're looking for an album to start with, try their self-titled first. I think Mike Park describes it as "weezer ska", which is just as good a description as any. Also, their Christmas album is on sale for $5 at asianmanrecords.com as it is every Christmas. It's fantastic fun,if a little short.

HamsterHuey posted:

Anyone else listen to Dan Potthast's (of MU330) solo work? It's not ska at all, but I figure this is as appropriate thread as any. Sweets & Meats is a really excellent album and Potthast is a killer songwriter.

I absolutely love Eyeballs, but I've never really listened to Sweets much. Earlier this year, he put out a self released demo of solo stuff called Eat The Planet. Basically, he locked himself in a room for a week, and forced himself out of writer's block. It might have resulted in a song about a shelf and another about a fan, but they're pretty good. I finally got to see him solo in Philly this past year, and it was a great time.

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Orlando show was changed to The Social. Quite excited about that, probably my favorite small venue I've been to.

I am so jealous. The Social is such a fantastic venue, but I think I've told you that before.

Wizard Mannequin posted:

What was everyones first ska show? Mine was SGR(who I hate), Ruder Than You(who were incredible) and the Slackers, back when I was in like 9th grade. I'm really glad my first ska show was more trad/reggae oriented, and definately helped me get into that stuff.

I'm pretty sure my first was my friend's high school ska band, The Berserk Postal Clerks. Then I saw Hepcat show at the Trocadero and a MU330/Mustard Plug show at the First Unitarian Church in early '99. I saw Mustard Plug play there again recently, maybe late last year, and they actually brought the show up. Sadly, I was only one of maybe two or three people there to have attended both shows. At least I wasn't the only one.

mrfancycrackers posted:

Shot by Lammi- very raw, clearly self-recorded... some good songs on it, though. Mostly 3rd wavey with a bit of jazz influence

Good Luck- great album- 3rd wave pop punk kinda, Dave's vocals are very shouty. I would start with this one.

Gipsy Hill- A lot punkier and heavier. Get this one second, Checklist is probably their best song

How It Goes- overly long and lots of weird tracks. Some good stuff, though. I'm not really a fan of it.

Salem Girls- stupid

Strictly Rude- overrated and Alternative Press is jocking them hard now, so this one gets hyped a lot. It's really not what Big D is good at and it's kinda lame. I actually liked the From Beijing to Boston split they did with Brain Faliure better than this.

My opinions differ a little bit.
Shot By Lammi - Eh, a bit generic third-wave, but I've only really listened like twice.

Good Luck - I'll agree, this is where you should start. Very solid, start to finish, with my favorite song Can't Be Caught.

Gypsy Hill - What he said. But I still like Can't Be Caught more.

How It Goes - I've always thought that this is an okay album, but very long. If they could have trimmed it to 45 minutes, it would have been fantastic. I need to actually try to do that one of these days. It generally alternates between slower and faster songs, but bogs down at the end with like 4 slow songs in a row that just kill any momentum the album had. But I do love L.A.X.

Salem Girls - I wouldn't say stupid, but a bit of an indulgence of their dub fetish.

From Beijing To Boston - Think of this as the Gypsy Hill EP to Strictly Rude, much more punk stuff. Not too bad.

Strictly Rude - It doesn't suck, but I wouldn't exactly call it awesome. Overall, it's a fairly mellow album. I think it starts and ends well, but I usually skip a good 4-5 songs in the middle every time I listen. But drat, I love Shining On.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I can't seem to figure out what song Bomb the Music Industry's "I Don't Love You Anymore" sounds like. I definitely recognize the intro from an older song. Does anyone know? It's been driving me insane for a few months and none of my friends can place it either.

quote:

Wizard Mannequin posted:

What was everyones first ska show?

My first ska show was at the Axis in Boston with MU330, Voodoo Glow Skulls and Streetlight Manifesto at Ska is Dead 2. It was oh so amazing. I went to see Voodoo and absolutely fell in love with Streetlight. I was familiar with Catch 22 at that point but not well, so I wasn't that excited to see what I thought was going to be some side project. Turns out I was so, so, so horribly wrong. Streetlight has been a constant in ipod for years now. It's still one of my favorite shows I've been to.

Learning how to skank was so awkward, but I loved it.

seventeen fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 4, 2007

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Learning how to skank is like being raped. At the time its awkward and uncomfortable as gently caress, but once you've gotten it over, you'll never forget. And you'll be traumatized for years later!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Has anyone listened to the new Bosstone's Album? I'll be picking this one up when it comes out. I love it so far.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

TLG James posted:

Has anyone listened to the new Bosstone's Album? I'll be picking this one up when it comes out. I love it so far.

God, all this Bosstones news and hoopla makes me feel like a kid again. I've never been more excited for a concert than this New Year's Eve. I'm gonna check out the new songs and put down a definite pre-order.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

WaffleZombie posted:

I am so jealous. The Social is such a fantastic venue, but I think I've told you that before.

Yeah, this is a late response.

I think you were the one that was there for the LTJ Florida shows? Well the SM show didn't beat those (those were the top 2 best shows I've ever been to) but it was still pretty good. It wasn't too crowded, but I couldn't hear Tomas from where I was.

SM won't play Receiving End on this tour :( Tomas said something about it "being too hard for him to sing."

Also someone IMed me about going to a SM show, but I was AFK and never got back to them. Sorry to whomever that was.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Yeah, this is a late response.

I think you were the one that was there for the LTJ Florida shows? Well the SM show didn't beat those (those were the top 2 best shows I've ever been to) but it was still pretty good. It wasn't too crowded, but I couldn't hear Tomas from where I was.

SM won't play Receiving End on this tour :( Tomas said something about it "being too hard for him to sing."

Also someone IMed me about going to a SM show, but I was AFK and never got back to them. Sorry to whomever that was.

Yeah, it's late, but I think I posted after the show happened anyway. But yeah, I was at those LTJ shows. And I really think it will be hard to ever top those. They were definitely better than the Tampa shows, and I really don't see how they'll be topped. Well, maybe RBF could play WDTRSH straight through... Unfortunately, it doesn't look like business is going to be taking me to Florida anytime soon, so who knows if/when I'll get to the Social again.

It's really a pity they are playing Receiving, especially since the liner notes to the album mention how much the band can't wait to play it live, it'll be so much fun.

Unrelated to Florida, but at the Starland show in NJ, while in the mass of people, after the show trying to buy the album, I saw some had awesome (okay, didn't know that smiley was changed) as the wallpaper on their phone. Was that someone in here?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Anyone who is a large fan of Tomas Kalnolky's work is probably familiar with his very first band "Gimp" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimp_%28band%29). It's not that hard to find the only thing they ever recorded, a cassette called "Smiles for Macavity" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiles_for_Macavity). If anyone is interested, my dad helped me figure out how to play the intro to "Mrs. Butterworth's Indestructible Bomb Shelter" and I could post it here.

I guess I should also mention that the album doesn't really have any Ska elements in it except for upstrokes. It honestly is a lot more Punk than Third-Wave Ska, if you could even pretend to consider it that. If that offends anyone, I'll just edit the post and we can act like it never existed, I just thought that since it's Tomas Kalnolky, it should be in here.

(Also, this version of Supernothing outdoes every other version. Why? Because it has beautiful violin playing and it's slow. It's awesome.)

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I love Gimp. Considering his age when it was recorded, it's not bad at all. I'm a big fan of the track "Magnolium".

Also agreeing on the Supernothing sentiment. It's so much more heartfelt and emotional to me on Smiles... than the other versions.

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh

seventeen posted:

I love Gimp. Considering his age when it was recorded, it's not bad at all. I'm a big fan of the track "Magnolium".

Also agreeing on the Supernothing sentiment. It's so much more heartfelt and emotional to me on Smiles... than the other versions.

Streetlight played Magnolium once. It was good. And nobody knew the words

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!

mix.lunar posted:

(Also, this version of Supernothing outdoes every other version. Why? Because it has beautiful violin playing and it's slow. It's awesome.)

I love the violins in the Gimp version; it sets an entirely different tone for the whole song. I love the later versions too, but this one is very BOTAR to me, and goddamn am I craving some new stuff right now.

Speaking of, I wish I could find BOTAR's song It All Goes Numb. Anybody here heard it?

Carl with a K
Dec 25, 2006

seventeen posted:

I can't seem to figure out what song Bomb the Music Industry's "I Don't Love You Anymore" sounds like. I definitely recognize the intro from an older song. Does anyone know? It's been driving me insane for a few months and none of my friends can place it either.

sugar pieeee honey bunch

you know that i loooove you

i can't help myself

also, the end of Skid Row from Little Shop Of Horrors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangarang
Sep 13, 2007

by Fragmaster
INDK wasn't mentioned yet, was it? it was one of the bands that formed after choking victim split up. so was morning glory, but i've never listened to them.

also; Taj Motel Trio is an awesome band, i've seen these guys live several times.