Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nach0king
Jan 11, 2007

GET BACK TO WORK!!!
Some singalong ska here from former members of Ska-P... if you've not heard them, they're Potshot-esque, only the lyrics are 1) intelligible (albeit in Castillian) and 2) ideal for any America-haters ;).

Very catchy, even if you disagree with the message.

edit: hurr helps to include link - http://www.purevolume.com/thelocos ... band name is The Locos, obviously. They'd be a good addition to the Third Wave section of the FAQ post (as would Ska-P, at that, as they're apparently plotting to reform in 2008!)

Merry Christmas to all ska kids and third wave fans in their mid-20s who should know better :D

nach0king fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 27, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

I disagree, because I don't think there's been a significant change in sound to call anything the 4th wave. There's a pretty distinct difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wave ska, but Op Ivy doesn't really sound THAT different than Big D. Also the Bosstones formed in the mid to late 80s.
RX Bandits and Gogol Bordello aren't a significant change in sound?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Quest For Glory II posted:

RX Bandits and Gogol Bordello aren't a significant change in sound?

Gogol Bordello aren't ska (or ska punk or gypsy ska or anything like that) and one band (or a handful of bands) don't call for a 'wave change.' The waves are considered what they are because it was a significant number of bands with a significant change in sound, and that the sound they changed to was somewhat similar. Just because the Rx Bandits or Flaming Tsunamis or Blue Meanies don't sound like your typical 3rd wave band, it doesn't mean there's been a significant change in the overall sound of ska bands.

Think about the waves, 1st wave was in Jamiaca and has what we now call the traditional ska sound. 2nd wave/two-tone was in England and added punk elements to the ska sound. 3rd wave is in America and added even more punk influences and sped things up. This is obviously an extreme simplification but you listen to bands/artists from the 3 different waves and they have really different sounds. There are always exceptions and bands that sound different, but it's about the overall sound of the bands in the scene.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hooray, the Mad Caddies have been added to Amazon MP3!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Gogol Bordello aren't ska (or ska punk or gypsy ska or anything like that)
I think what you're seeing now is bands that have added elements of ska to their musical toolbox filled with elements from all types of music, and say "okay, let's construct something new out of all of these materials." So you're getting a mash-up of different styles to create a new style. So you get gypsy flamenco punk, you get post-prog skapunk, you get cabaret hardcore, latin funk jazz ska, that all have at least some small roots in Jamaican music, but are too abstract to be described in that way. That's the direction it's going, to me.

I can't imagine there will ever be a straight up fourth 'wave' like you describe because where exactly can the style be taken that everyone coming out of high school would say "YEAH, I WANT TO DO THAT!"? All the "me too" bands in the last decade still try to imitate Reel Big Fish. Ten years from now, they will still be imitating Reel Big Fish. Because any new music has to be sought out, and that's not going to change. I don't see a scenario in which mainstream radio stations are back on the bandwagon. As far as most people know, ska was this cute fad that lasted from 1996 to 1998. They don't know or care about its history. At this point I imagine a revival would be as swift and futile as swing coming back. (It's kind of funny saying this since there's been a huge underground revival of traditional ska in the last couple of years, seems like every day a new band pops up on MySpace; but I dont think it's relevant to the topic at hand.)

When you look at it from that perspective, you kind of take any musical progression a band takes as a small forward step for the genre. And I like what bands like Gogol, RX Bandits, Sonic Boom Six, Cat Empire, Mad Caddies, etc. are doing to stir things up.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 27, 2007

SinSalvador
Dec 27, 2007

hedgecore posted:

Hey, so I just posted my skapunk band's new CD for free in GBS, so I'll crosspost it here too!

Download Legitimate Business - If You Can't Take The Heat...

Anyway we're growing fairly big in the Jersey scene so if you've been to any of the recent non-starland shows (Catch 22, Voodoo Glow Skulls/Mustard Plug, Mustard Plug/BTMI/Westbound Train, or any ASOB, BTMI!, or IV4K show) you've probably seen us there. I also go by sneve... you skachilles dorks.

Really good job, mate. The quality isn't that great, and you probably need to work a bit on polishing it up next time you release something, but it's good, honest and passionate ska-punk - You've got flair and feeling, and that's the only thing that really matters. I could mention quite a few major ska bands I'd skip to see you guys live... Keep up the good work.

Anyway, any DK'ers going to the Streetlight show in Copenhagen, in February? Long time from now, but we don't get a lot of good bands playing over here.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I think what you're seeing now is bands that have added elements of ska to their musical toolbox filled with elements from all types of music, and say "okay, let's construct something new out of all of these materials." So you're getting a mash-up of different styles to create a new style. So you get gypsy flamenco punk, you get post-prog skapunk, you get cabaret hardcore, latin funk jazz ska, that all have at least some small roots in Jamaican music, but are too abstract to be described in that way. That's the direction it's going, to me.

I can't imagine there will ever be a straight up fourth 'wave' like you describe because where exactly can the style be taken that everyone coming out of high school would say "YEAH, I WANT TO DO THAT!"? All the "me too" bands in the last decade still try to imitate Reel Big Fish. Ten years from now, they will still be imitating Reel Big Fish. Because any new music has to be sought out, and that's not going to change. I don't see a scenario in which mainstream radio stations are back on the bandwagon. As far as most people know, ska was this cute fad that lasted from 1996 to 1998. They don't know or care about its history. At this point I imagine a revival would be as swift and futile as swing coming back. (It's kind of funny saying this since there's been a huge underground revival of traditional ska in the last couple of years, seems like every day a new band pops up on MySpace; but I dont think it's relevant to the topic at hand.)

When you look at it from that perspective, you kind of take any musical progression a band takes as a small forward step for the genre. And I like what bands like Gogol, RX Bandits, Sonic Boom Six, Cat Empire, Mad Caddies, etc. are doing to stir things up.

That kind of borrowing of small elements of other music has been going on forever with all kinds of music, we were talking about movements or waves in ska so I was pointing out how you can't count Gogol Bordello in with ska that way because they really don't have many ska elements.

As far as predicting the fourth wave or even being sure it's going to happen, I'm not. I was just saying I don't think we can say bands around now are fourth wave, I think they're similar enough to 3rd wave to still be considered that. Honestly though, I'm sure when people were hanging out listening to Madness they wouldn't have been able to predict a band like Reel Big Fish, so I'm not gonna even try and predict what the fourth wave may or may not be. I definitely think there's lots of bands out there making progress and doing new things with ska (Bomb The Music Industry being a big one) and it's great, I just don't think there's a big enough movement to really constitute a new wave.

You can't predict musical trends or what the radio is gonna play or what the popular stuff will be. There's just no way. Who would have thought hardcore would get as big as it is or be the style it is? Your example with swing was spot on, because swing totally came back around the time ska did too. Also the me too bands will still be playing ripoff RBF stuff, but who really pays attention to them anyway? There's still bands out there playing stuff that's basically a ripoff of Motley Crue, but it doesn't affect current popular rock. There will always be the bands that sound like stuff you've already heard, and there will always be bands bringing something new to the table.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 27, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Mike_V posted:

EDIT: This isn't very important, but I've been thinking that we can say that we've moved into 4th wave at this point, with bands like the Toasters, OpIvy, and others in the mid-80s until the early-mid 90s representing 3rd wave. Essentially 3rd wave being from like when the Toasters started up until around the Bosstones.

RX Bandits would be the closest thing to 4th wave, but they've started to leave the ska feel behind more and more. Not that they're still not awesome.

edit: And I was beat? drat.

Josh Wow posted:

Think about the waves, 1st wave was in Jamiaca and has what we now call the traditional ska sound. 2nd wave/two-tone was in England and added punk elements to the ska sound. 3rd wave is in America and added even more punk influences and sped things up. This is obviously an extreme simplification but you listen to bands/artists from the 3 different waves and they have really different sounds. There are always exceptions and bands that sound different, but it's about the overall sound of the bands in the scene.

That's about as simple and accurate as you can get.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
It suprises me no one has mentioned ska weekend at all. I have gone the last 3 years and drop at least 125 bucks on cds alone every year. Its held in old city of knoxvile,TN so its not a really long trip for a good chunk of the US. 25 bucks and 5 cans of food to see 20-30 ska bands of all types of ska.

and to list the favorite bands

The Malcontents (rip)
Deal's Gone Bad (kick rear end chicago ska band)
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (I want to see these crazy guys from japan)
Big D & the Kids Table
Eastern Standard Time
The Slackers
Fatter than Albert
New York Ska-Jazz Orchestra
Stuck Lucky
Rude King (rip)
Mustard Plug
and like most Streetlight,RBF, old C22

edit: forgot to mention I own the Trojan Ska Box sets Vol 1 & 2, and the special live box set. I respect the first wave stuff and hell listen to some of it but i just cant get into it. I also enjoy The Specials some times but just something that I cant put my finger on prevents me from liking most of the 1st/2nd wave stuff

Backno fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 28, 2007

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

guppy posted:

Christmas was a happy day when I opened Quality Soft Core (ordered straight from Amazon!)

So uh... anyone got a copy of Suburban Rhythm like I do?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I have a copy on my iPod and computer. If I remember correctly, it's almost impossible to find a version of that nowadays. Also, according to the wiki, a bunch of bands were recording songs off of that album for a tribute album to them. Did it get canceled or was it released and slipped by me?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

guppy posted:

Incidentally, as long as I'm noting this, some more Toasters stuff was added well, including Dub 56.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

I did but I lost the drat thing, it was good to :(

I am sad that ska has kind of died out in the past several years. In the late 90's there were some really great ska bands, but it's just sorta dried up, and now people just seem to make fun of people who still like ska. :smith:

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.

SkaWes posted:

I have a copy. I'd think that it's kosher to share it, considering that it's way out of print and unavailable anywhere, to my knowledge, but I'm not sure. Anyone wanna clarify that?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

The five ska cds that people keep trying to buy off of me are the SR album, OCG - From Downtown, The Pharmaceutical Bandits - Those drat Bandits, the red Chris Batstone pressing of the Suburban Legends EP, and the original BOTAR pressing complete with handmade case. I don't listen to most of those cds/bands much these days, but it's nice to know that I could pawn them off on some hardcore ska fan if I'm ever desperate for a quick buck.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SkaWes posted:

I am sad that ska has kind of died out in the past several years. In the late 90's there were some really great ska bands, but it's just sorta dried up, and now people just seem to make fun of people who still like ska. :smith:
I wouldn't say that it's died out, it's just different. Right now there's a big retro-traditionalist ska sound rising up. Just listen to the Pressure Drop Soundcast, they're playing new music all the time.

If the only style you can listen to is third wave, there's still plenty of bands out there. You just have to go out there and find out. Scour MySpace, check record labels like Megalith, Stomp/Union. Check Interpunk. I'll just throw two out there right now: The JB Conspiracy and No Torso. JB Conspiracy has somewhat interesting compositions, and a crisp staccato Aquabats-style horn section. No Torso is pretty much the definition of "third wave".

Some other bands I don't think I've heard mentioned here before: Babylove and the Van Dangos is an exciting trad band on the rise from Denmark with some pretty drat good hooks, and The Busters, who are Germany's answer to the Toasters and just put out a new album last month that is a callback to the style of their older albums. Just google any of these bands because I'm pretty sure all of them have MySpaces at this point.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I wouldn't say that it's died out, it's just different. Right now there's a big retro-traditionalist ska sound rising up. Just listen to the Pressure Drop Soundcast, they're playing new music all the time.

If the only style you can listen to is third wave, there's still plenty of bands out there. You just have to go out there and find out. Scour MySpace, check record labels like Megalith, Stomp/Union. Check Interpunk. I'll just throw two out there right now: The JB Conspiracy and No Torso. JB Conspiracy has somewhat interesting compositions, and a crisp staccato Aquabats-style horn section. No Torso is pretty much the definition of "third wave".

Some other bands I don't think I've heard mentioned here before: Babylove and the Van Dangos is an exciting trad band on the rise from Denmark with some pretty drat good hooks, and The Busters, who are Germany's answer to the Toasters and just put out a new album last month that is a callback to the style of their older albums. Just google any of these bands because I'm pretty sure all of them have MySpaces at this point.

It's not so much that I don't like new styles, I am not stuck on third wave, I just never hear of any new bands. The only two ska albums that came out this year that I can think of are Mad Caddies (Which was great) and Reel Big Fish (Which isn't really ska, but it was still a great album, I love RBF)

I have heard of Babylove & the Van Dangos, I had an Mp3 of Rude Boy that I got off their website, but I must have deleted it and never checked back to see if they had release an album yet. When I had download the Mp3 they hadn't released anything yet, if I recall correctly.

I am just sad when I think of some of the bands that I loving loved, that died out. Spring Heeld Jack, Jeffries Fan Club, The Hippos, Edna's Goldfish (Who's lead singer looks like Jarred from the Subway commercials), and others that I am forgetting about.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

SkaWes posted:

It's not so much that I don't like new styles, I am not stuck on third wave, I just never hear of any new bands. The only two ska albums that came out this year that I can think of are Mad Caddies (Which was great) and Reel Big Fish (Which isn't really ska, but it was still a great album, I love RBF)

This year was pretty amazing in terms of good albums coming out. Mustard Plug released In Black and White which I think is their best album (and that's saying a lot), Deals Gone Bad released The Ramblers which is killer if you like the ska/soul sound, obviously Streetlight came out with Somewhere in the Between which doesn't have a single bad song on it, the Aggrolites had Reggae Hit L.A. which has a really cool ska/motown/funk/soul vibe, The Fad came out with Kill Punk Rock Stars which is awesome, and then just last week the Bosstones came out with Medium Rare and the Taj Motel Trio came out with Part of the Problem (which I've heard is better than all those other albums I've listed combined, but don't quote me on that).

There's a lot of other albums that came out that I don't personally like that much or haven't really listened to but other people might. The Pietasters released All Day which I thought was ok but it's nowhere near as good as their old stuff, Buck O Nine released a new album that I don't know the name of and my guitarist loves but I've never liked Buck O Nine, Voodoo Glow Skulls released California Street Music which I still need to listen to, and Bomb the Music Industry released Get Warmer which was good but there was a lot I didn't like about it.

Oh yea and Stuck Lucky did a split with Arm the Poor (punk band) that was only released on vinyl that has some great songs. You can hear most of them at https://www.myspace.com/stucklucky

That list is just off the top of my head so I feel confident in saying that ska isn't dead.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

This year was pretty amazing in terms of good albums coming out.
Besides the ones you mentioned, Big D and the Kids Table put out Strictly Rude, and Streetlight Manifesto put out Somewhere In The Between.

edit: oh whoops you mentioned SM

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

SkaWes posted:

Didn't Streetlight Manifesto's album come out this year, and the new bosstone's album?

SkaWes posted:

I am just sad when I think of some of the bands that I loving loved, that died out. Spring Heeld Jack, Jeffries Fan Club, The Hippos, Edna's Goldfish (Who's lead singer looks like Jarred from the Subway commercials), and others that I am forgetting about.

I'm sad that in high school, I missed the chance to see the Hippos because it was like on a Tuesday night or something. I said, Oh they'll be back! :(

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

TLG James posted:

Didn't Streetlight Manifesto's album come out this year, and the new bosstone's album?

I forgot about the Streetlight Manifesto album, that one is pretty good. I am not a big fan of the Bosstones though.

TLG James posted:

I'm sad that in high school, I missed the chance to see the Hippos because it was like on a Tuesday night or something. I said, Oh they'll be back! :(

I missed Reel Big Fish and one of the last Five Iron Frenzy concerts because I just couldn't make them, god drat do I wish I had tried harder to free up the time to go.

Oh well at least I got to see Homegrown & RX Bandits play together in this lovely little venue downtown which was cool, even if they aren't really ska. :unsmith:

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
The thing I'm curious about is why you don't consider Reel Big Fish (or maybe just their latest album) to be ska. I'm not saying it's incorrect or anything, I'm just curious why you feel that way.

Edit: Fixed awful double negative.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 30, 2007

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

lessthankyle posted:

The thing I'm curious about is why you don't consider Reel Big Fish (or maybe just their latest album) to not be ska. I'm not saying it's incorrect or anything, I'm just curious why you feel that way.

It's not that they aren't ska, just less ska then they used to be, now it's more kinda rock with horns and shying away from the the fast paced ska guitar rifts. Like I said I still love the gently caress out of them, and they will always remain the band that got me in to ska music.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

How does infusing rock elements make a band less ska, but not punk? I must be missing a page or two in my hipster handbook.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I just realized how the double negative I accidentally used completely changed what I meant to say, but I'm glad you got it anyways.

I personally think they are making huge strides towards coming back to a great ska sound after Cheer Up. I loved Cheer Up as a lot of people did, and several tracks had a good horn sound on it, but it wasn't the same. I'm glad RBF is seemingly back on track, I was really discouraged after We're Not Happy... but I can't wait to see where they go from this.

The Mad Caddies album this year made me grin from ear to ear when I first heard it. I was really glad to see them put out something that sounded so great. They have a sound to them that is so distinct, and it really shines through on this one. I'd kill to see them in concert (the only time I've seen them so far was at one Warped Tour many years ago, what a sad place to have to go to hear ska music...)

On another note, where are the guys who said they were going to the Bosstones this week? I heard one small remark above about it, but I'm waiting for a good trip report so I can more (if that's possible) pumped for their RI show.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

How does infusing rock elements make a band less ska, but not punk? I must be missing a page or two in my hipster handbook.

I don't know what you're talking with all of this hipster handbook poo poo, I didn't say anything about punk elements.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

lessthankyle posted:

I'm glad RBF is seemingly back on track, I was really discouraged after We're Not Happy... but I can't wait to see where they go from this.

Yea, I'm pretty sure that on their Live DVD (the newest one; Our Live Album is Better Than Your Live Album) Aaron said something about during Cheer Up, he thought that the record company they had wanted more of a rock sound. That's why he formed Forces of Evil, he felt that once Cheer Up came out, their fans would hate them and he wanted to still play Ska.

Because they aren't punk elements. It's slower guitar riffs and not the fast ones that are in punk.

SkaWes posted:

I don't know what you're talking with all of this hipster handbook poo poo, I didn't say anything about punk elements.

I think he was attempting to insult you.

mix.lunar fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 30, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

SkaWes posted:

I missed Reel Big Fish and one of the last Five Iron Frenzy concerts because I just couldn't make them, god drat do I wish I had tried harder to free up the time to go.

Five Iron Frenzy really needs to do a reunion tour. I never got to see them live either.

They just released some new shirts, so maybe there's hope.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

Because they aren't punk elements. It's slower guitar riffs and not the fast ones that are in punk.
I'm still confused though. I don't see why punk fits ska better than rock, it's not like everything is uptempo; traditional ska certainly isn't as fast as the third wave. It's just a different style. And RBF isn't the only band to do it, Five Iron Frenzy and the Mad Caddies adopted rock and alternative rock into their style, too. Not to take anything away from skapunk at ALL. I just feel like the net can be a little wider than it is.

quote:

I think he was attempting to insult you.
Nah, I wasn't trying to insult anyone. This is just something that I see a lot and I felt like poking at the beehive. I think I got posts confused or something when I wrote that reply. My apologies.

To me, I care more about how well composed and executed the music is, than how 'ska' it is (like it's a unit of measurement). I kind of prefer that bands try and go out and do their own thing and create their own niche. When bands conform to the standards, like the Planet Smashers and the Toasters, their music can kind of wear out on you after a few albums because it's almost too mechanical and ordinary. And I like those bands too. But I'm all for variety and experimentation.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 30, 2007

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Five Iron Frenzy really needs to do a reunion tour. I never got to see them live either.

They just released some new shirts, so maybe there's hope.

Oh god I wish they would, I loved those guys so much. I always got a lot of "lol christian band" poo poo for liking them, but they had genuinely good songs, and every album was fun, and you could tell they liked making music. I missed a concert from their farewell tour and I couldn't go, and to this day I am saddened that I couldn't make it.

To me, I care more about how well composed and executed the music is, than how 'ska' it is (like it's a unit of measurement). I kind of prefer that bands try and go out and do their own thing and create their own niche. When bands conform to the standards, like the Planet Smashers and the Toasters, their music can kind of wear out on you after a few albums because it's almost too mechanical and ordinary. And I like those bands too. But I'm all for variety and experimentation.

I am all for songs being well written, having good musical arrangements, all of that jazz, and I know that as bands mature their sound is going to change. For me though it's a bummer sometimes when a band goes from straight ska, because for me, that is what I love. I still love Reel Big Fish, and I always will, just as there are other bands I liked that I still liked even though they completely ditched the ska scene (I am looking at you The Hippos :colbert: )

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We'll we've got another song from the new album up on our myspace, it's called God Save the Scene and here's a link so you don't have to scroll

https://www.myspace.com/ttmt

we'll hopefully get more up soon, I'm not sure if we're gonna rotate new tracks in the top slot or take off an old one, but people always yell at us when we take stuff off so who knows.

Also there's this cool band from Alabama of all places called Shut Up Travis (http://www.myspace.com/shutuptravis) who are pretty awesome. They're better live than the stuff on their myspace (not that it's bad), so check em out if you get a chance.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 30, 2007

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

SkaWes posted:

Oh well at least I got to see Homegrown & RX Bandits play together in this lovely little venue downtown which was cool, even if they aren't really ska. :unsmith:

I once got to see the RX bandits, Home Grown, Reel Big Fish, Zebrahead, and Goldfinger all in one concert for the local college radio station.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.

He didn't say that the more 'ska' a band was, the better. He just said that RBF's last album doesn't have much ska on it, and he was right. Listen to "Party Down." Nothing in the instrumentation of the guitar, or bass, or drums bears any resemblance to third-wave ska. There are no upbeats, no rapidly-executed walking basslines, etc. The only thing ska-esque about it is the inclusion of horns, but if you think that horns in an alternative rock song automatically makes it 'ska,' you are incorrect.

Reel Big Fish is and always will be one of my favorite bands, and while I don't love the new album, it has nothing to do with the fact that it's less ska. Cheer Up is an absolutely fan-loving tastic album, and that has maybe two ska tracks on it. I will admit that it irritates me a bit when good ska bands devolve from the ska sound, but if the music their playing is just as good, I'm all for it. The Suicide Machines, for example, released two great ska-punk albums, and then two relatively lovely alternative rock albums. Did I dislike the latter two because they weren't ska? No, I disliked them because they just weren't that good. But then they released two more albums that, while they did have more ska elements, had more of a hardcore/punk feel to them, and I loved them both.

The point is, and I think we're in agreement here, that an album's worth doesn't rest on how 'ska' it is, but simply the quality of the music, whatever genre it may be in.

EDIT: Completely unrelated, but I just gave Capdown a listen, and holy gently caress, my mind is blown.

BlandMan123 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 31, 2007

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Don't ever try to look at songmeanings.com...

This is kinda amusing though

quote:

Ok, Streetlight is NOT emo with horns. That would be Reel Big Fish.

Hahah, what.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just got home from yesterdays Mighty Mighty BossToneS show in Providence. Best concert I have ever been to. The BossToneS are the best ska band to ever exist.

The show was also being filmed for a live dvd. Some camera guys interviewed me outside Lupos so hopefully I'll get on the dvd.

The only downside of the show was how the crowd reacted to one of the opening bands, Zox. They type of indy-ish music they played didn't fit well in with the line up (Darkbuster, Street Dogs, then indy Zox?) but they weren't bad to listen to. It just wasn't my type of music. But some people in the crowd were ruthless. This one guy behind my screamed "gently caress you!" over and over for two entire songs while flipping them off before security came over and escorted him out of the building. The lead singer got a cup of beer thrown at him too. It was really sad to see a crowd react in such a way.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Just got home from yesterdays Mighty Mighty BossToneS show in Providence. Best concert I have ever been to. The BossToneS are the best ska band to ever exist.

The show was also being filmed for a live dvd. Some camera guys interviewed me outside Lupos so hopefully I'll get on the dvd.

The only downside of the show was how the crowd reacted to one of the opening bands, Zox. They type of indy-ish music they played didn't fit well in with the line up (Darkbuster, Street Dogs, then indy Zox?) but they weren't bad to listen to. It just wasn't my type of music. But some people in the crowd were ruthless. This one guy behind my screamed "gently caress you!" over and over for two entire songs while flipping them off before security came over and escorted him out of the building. The lead singer got a cup of beer thrown at him too. It was really sad to see a crowd react in such a way.

Agreed on all counts. I haven't been to many concerts in the past few years, but that was easily the best I've been to in at least 7 years, and definitely the best Bosstones performance I've ever been to. They may have taken a four-year break, but they haven't missed a beat. They played for two hours straight and managed to keep the energy up the whole time.

I agree with you about Zox. I wasn't able to decide if I liked them or not, I had heard some of their stuff beforehand as well. Regardless, people acted like jerks in general towards them. As bad a decision as it was to have a band like that before a band people have waited four years to see again, they could have shown a little respect. I remember that guy you are talking about too, I assume you were right up front? His buddies were right in front of me right by the first set of steps, and as soon as he got carted off, they all ran off to get him.

What an amazing night over all though, they were really on the ball.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

lessthankyle posted:

Agreed on all counts. I haven't been to many concerts in the past few years, but that was easily the best I've been to in at least 7 years, and definitely the best Bosstones performance I've ever been to. They may have taken a four-year break, but they haven't missed a beat. They played for two hours straight and managed to keep the energy up the whole time.

I agree with you about Zox. I wasn't able to decide if I liked them or not, I had heard some of their stuff beforehand as well. Regardless, people acted like jerks in general towards them. As bad a decision as it was to have a band like that before a band people have waited four years to see again, they could have shown a little respect. I remember that guy you are talking about too, I assume you were right up front? His buddies were right in front of me right by the first set of steps, and as soon as he got carted off, they all ran off to get him.

What an amazing night over all though, they were really on the ball.

I was the fat kid in the black Clash tshirt. I was basically dead center for the entire show.

funkenstein
Mar 17, 2004
I was at the Providence show last night and it was without a doubt the best show I've ever been to. I am ashamed to say that I wasn't familiar with the Street Dogs before the show, but they fuckin' blew me away and I can't wait to see em again. The Bosstones were amazing, and Dicky stayed signing autographs until every last person who was waiting for him met him or got an autograph or a picture. I bought a poster and got it signed and it is hanging behind me.

My only gripe is that they didn't play 737.. but Dicky mentioned next years throwdown multiple times and I will absolutely be there.

quote:

This one guy behind my screamed "gently caress you!" over and over for two entire songs while flipping them off before security came over and escorted him out of the building.

I'm not condoning his actions but that's one of the dudes I was there with. He had orange hair and was wearing an orange hunters hat for most of the night until he lost it. They kicked him out and called the cops, who he ended up running and escaping from and sneaking back in during the Bosstones third song and seeing the rest of the set. When Dicky was meeting people we yelled the story at him and I'm not sure if he understood it but he laughed, dropped what he was doing, and signed my friends CD.

quote:

His buddies were right in front of me right by the first set of steps, and as soon as he got carted off, they all ran off to get him.

That was probably me, tall guy in a green hoodie.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Shiiit haha. I was up front too! black emo hair and a red bandanna much? I thought I smelled goons.

Definitely one of the best shows I'll agree and I really liked Zox. What I didn't like was freaking 25 year old crowd surfers who weighed more than I do. I ate poo poo and fell to the floor when some 250 pound bear landed on me. I'm ok with prepubescent 14 year old boys who weigh 90lbs crowdsurfing but jesus christ SO HEAVY.

best birthday ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

funkenstein posted:

I'm not condoning his actions but that's one of the dudes I was there with. He had orange hair and was wearing an orange hunters hat for most of the night until he lost it. They kicked him out and called the cops, who he ended up running and escaping from and sneaking back in during the Bosstones third song and seeing the rest of the set. When Dicky was meeting people we yelled the story at him and I'm not sure if he understood it but he laughed, dropped what he was doing, and signed my friends CD.

Your friend is a douchebag.