Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Any other degenerates going to Supernova in a couple of weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Jeff's new album, HELLMODE, is up on spotify!

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

CodfishCartographer posted:

head is practically a BTMI song so i'm in love already

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CodfishCartographer posted:

I have now listened to this and I would like to say that it is Good

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
The new Mustard Plug album is out and I'm really digging it.

https://mustardplug.bandcamp.com/al...l-my-friends-go

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks, I forgot this was out today. Unusually pricy for Bandcamp, ah well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxCBE39PTke/

Matt from Streetlight passed this afternoon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The other day I started listening to a bunch of my old favourite bands on Spotify, and I started asking myself why the ska boom of the late 90s seemed to die out so quickly. I don't know how much I'm filtering history through my own experience. Me and all my high school friends were band geeks, so we got really into ska. As soon as we graduated high school, I hatched into a goth while all my friends got really into emo and wrote lyrics on their Chuck Taylors and changed their AIM usernames to XvMyHeartBleedsBlackTearsxV.

I was very very surprised to find this thread on the first page of NMD. So like, what happened? Or has there been a thriving scene for 20-odd years that I was just completely in the dark about?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

The other day I started listening to a bunch of my old favourite bands on Spotify, and I started asking myself why the ska boom of the late 90s seemed to die out so quickly. I don't know how much I'm filtering history through my own experience. Me and all my high school friends were band geeks, so we got really into ska. As soon as we graduated high school, I hatched into a goth while all my friends got really into emo and wrote lyrics on their Chuck Taylors and changed their AIM usernames to XvMyHeartBleedsBlackTearsxV.

I was very very surprised to find this thread on the first page of NMD. So like, what happened? Or has there been a thriving scene for 20-odd years that I was just completely in the dark about?

The mainstream popularity certainly was fad that came and went. They talk about it in "Pick it Up! Ska in the 90s" which is free on tubi, and no one has an explanation for the sudden exposition in popularity or fall off. I don't know if ska kept thriving anywhere, it definitely never went away. Some of the bigger bands kept putting out albums and newer once were just starting. I was probably going to the most ska shows from 2002 to 2010.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

aricoarena posted:

The mainstream popularity certainly was fad that came and went. They talk about it in "Pick it Up! Ska in the 90s" which is free on tubi, and no one has an explanation for the sudden exposition in popularity or fall off. I don't know if ska kept thriving anywhere, it definitely never went away. Some of the bigger bands kept putting out albums and newer once were just starting. I was probably going to the most ska shows from 2002 to 2010.

Ska never went away, but it definitely hasn't been thriving in the last ~25 years.

Everyone in the mid-90's was looking for the next big post-grunge thing.

Ska and the swing revival briefly had moments in the spotlight, but they proved too niche for radio, so we ended up with pop-punk instead. Enjoy your Jimmy Eat World and Blink-182 and all their sound-alikes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Dicky Barrett is now playing a show to raise money for RFK Jr.'s presidential campaign. I have rarely been so disappointed in a former hero of mine.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

the short answer to what happened to ska in the 90s: the music industry did what they did to everything in those days, exploited it for quick cash.

by the time you likely found out about third wave ska through mass media, the genre had been developing for the better part of a decade in a few different places. third wave ska was really the culmination of two major scenes which came up independently of each other. most bands came from either new york city or orange county, ca (i know about the other smaller scenes, but they are not historically significant except maybe san fran).

these scenes were not really compatible. new york was a very hip scene filled with college grads, jazzbos and traditionalists. cali had extremely young punk kids (TONS of lineups with high schoolers) with lots of energy and simple, catchy tunes.

how did it blow up? no doubt's tragic kingdom was a surprise success for interscope in the same way nirvana had been for DGC and there was a rush from the labels to find another hit record from this ska thing. new york did not have an accessible sound, and no doubt already had very strong roots in the orange county scene.

so labels signed just about anything in socal with two arms and a trombone in a very short period of time. reel big fish was once on the same label as britney spears. by 1996-97, the market was flooded with orange county ska. completely inescapable.

for most people who don't know poo poo about the jamaican diaspora or don't care who the specials are, it was a passing fad with way too much exposure. it was easy to dance to (white people LOVE the two step) and the orange county bands being signed had a pop-punk sound that provided crossover appeal with kids into that. it just got old quick. there were dozens of identical bands run by kids who hadn't developed enough taste to not name their band mustard plug.

also, no doubt were huge because by the time they made tragic kingdom, they aspired to be a platinum selling pop group. that album has ska, sure, but it also had some very slick radio singles completely removed from that sound and scene, and they had a superstar diva in gwen stefani. it was a fundamental error on the part of the industry to think they could sign a ska band and get another "just a girl." closest they got was with sublime, i guess.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

cool scene lifehack: because new york never got their day in the spotlight, saying you like the slackers and mephiskalpheles is the easiest way to telegraph to others you are a cool person who likes good ska and not bad ska.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Misc posted:

bad ska.

Never heard of it

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Dosen’t Mexico have a thriving scene to this day?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

guppy posted:

Dicky Barrett is now playing a show to raise money for RFK Jr.'s presidential campaign. I have rarely been so disappointed in a former hero of mine.

i hope we find out one day this was the early stages of some undiagnosed dementia

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Misc posted:

cool scene lifehack: because new york never got their day in the spotlight, saying you like the slackers and mephiskalpheles is the easiest way to telegraph to others you are a cool person who likes good ska and not bad ska.

i got jumpscared by the slackers in the credits for hardcore henry the other day

it was a good jumpscare compared to the violence that was in that movie, but it got me to explain who the hell the slackers were to a bunch of younger millenials and zoomers in the stream

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Djarum posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxCBE39PTke/

Matt from Streetlight passed this afternoon.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

:(

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Misc posted:

the short answer to what happened to ska in the 90s: the music industry did what they did to everything in those days, exploited it for quick cash.
Thank you for the overview. It kinda reminds me of what happened to the riot grrl movement, though I guess that was more a case of bands being lumped together and hyperexploited by the media, rather than by labels signing too many bands.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Since people are talking about how cool New York is, has anyone seen the Pilfers recently? I'm curious how they are now. I haven't been able to and Coolie Ranx was the coolest.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Thank you for the overview. It kinda reminds me of what happened to the riot grrl movement, though I guess that was more a case of bands being lumped together and hyperexploited by the media, rather than by labels signing too many bands.

yea you got it. riot grrl was a collection of bands tied by a (tenuous) ethos rather than any specific sound. third wave ska bands had no ethos in common, partly because the geography between the two major scenes couldn't be any further away. maybe if the toasters had a major public beef with the aquabats that ended in a drive-by shooting, the story would be clearer. worked for rap, anyway.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh they totally did. Why do you think Travis Barker left? He couldn’t hang.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but Madness of all groups have announced a new album, due out 11/17.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

guppy posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but Madness of all groups have announced a new album, due out 11/17.

Holy poo poo. Happy Skankin' Birthday to me!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Some other news and releases:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Misc posted:

The Toasters got on MTV briefly when ska was at its peak, but that’s about it.

Ska getting mainstream is what killed it. Ska was really big before radio caught on to it in the 1988-1996 range. I’d go to see Hepcat, Let’s go bowling, toasters, etc in 10,000 capacity venues before ska officially blew up, and then I think everyone got really burnt out on it. It became really uncool to listen to ska, so any casual fans dropped it hard.

I think if it never got big radio/Mtv play it would be more popular than it is now, but still not as big as it was. The popularity in the 90s may have been a reaction to the sort of nihilistic, heavy sound of grunge.

It’s funny to look at music from the 80s-90s as it seems the music industry mostly bounced from one genre to another. Now it feels like there’s not a focus on one specific sound, although I’m definitely less in tune with pop music than 20 years ago, and I was barely aware of the trends then.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

major record companies (which is usually what people mean when they talk about the "music industry") can't sell you a CD for 18 dollars like they did back then. those sales had such a massive markup that they could sign a ton of smaller bands with niche sounds and make a nice profit for themselves. usually at the expense of the band, but that's a different discussion. without that margin, they've cut all the fat to focus entirely on the top 1% selling pop acts.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I really like this Hub City Stompers track, Wild One, from that Maui benefit comp. As far as I can tell, this is the first time they've recorded a studio version of it, and all the live versions on YouTube are awful quality.

guppy fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 17, 2023

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

New Random Hand is good all.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
JER is in the Washington Post. Ska is back baby

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/10/18/jer-sak-concert-dc/

I am not actually that into Hunter's heavy-on-covers focus -- and to be honest, I was a bit disappointed in the solo JER album -- but they are amazing musicians and massive boosters of the scene, so I am glad to see both them and ska in a major paper.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

They’re loving awesome live, too.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7291809811006524715

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also new Joystick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjfTeNX3WrM

Didn't quite click until now, but there's some strong Superman vibes off of it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If anyone was waiting for that new Slackers album, it's out now, I kept forgetting to download it despite the reminder email from Bandcamp: https://theslackers.bandcamp.com/album/self-medication-2023

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Flying Raccoon Suit's new album Moonflower was released today: https://flyingraccoonsuit.bandcamp.com/album/moonflower

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I feel bad posting a bunch of times in a row, but it's been nearly a month since there were any posts in this thread, and I do have actual news. A new ska supergroup is forming, called The Inevitables, composed of alums from LTJ, Big D, BTMI, RBF, and the Aggrolites. They're due to release an album this coming summer on Bad Time and have a single you can hear here: https://www.brooklynvegan.com/ska-supergroup-the-inevitables-sign-to-bad-time-release-chemist/

I can hear the fingerprints of some of those members in the single, but it is not actually doing much for me, so I'm hoping to like the songwriting on the rest of the album a bit more.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you get a voice like obi's and you don't put him front and center?????? wtf

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The Inevitables have been a thing for a bit now. First LP was released a few years back: https://sexybabyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-inevitables

Glad to hear they're putting out another album though!

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Only just discovered this thread today, not paying attention to when it was started. So I read that Streetlight is coming out with a new album soon and get momentarily excited before seeing the first post is from 2007….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I mean they are in theory coming out with a new album """"soon"""" - a handful of new songs have been played at shows within the last year or two. By kalnoky standards that means a new album is practically around the corner, but for the rest of us that means it might be a few more years before anything comes of it.