Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Mollymauk posted:

Can someone give me a recommendation for what album/s to get into Ska-P?

Planeta Eskoria, and Que Quorra la Voz! are my two favorites, I think they have a better mix of hard rear end rocking songs and bouncy fun songs.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I know it was a couple pages back; but my girlfriend, who is quite good at this sort of thing, thinks that the last Streetlight Manifesto teaser song is a Herb Alpert song.

Any ideas on song 5? SA needs to own Chris Thatcher

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Oh Napster, will all its "Goldfinger" and, "Reel Big Fish" and "Mustard Plug" songs. Man those were the days.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Is it the one that's them doing James Brown's version of Hanson's MMMM Bop?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Anyone else see the strange Streelight Manifesto new update that is just a period? Sup wit dat?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

Is anyone else slightly disappointed that Streetlight's new album is strictly covers? I mean, I love anything that's new Streetlight, but I love Kalnoky's original songs so much more.

I think everyone would prefer an original album but we will take what we can get. At least it should be more interesting then the Keasbey Nights cover album, which while fun was the same songs slightly faster with shittier mastering. The real question is when will we get a full BOTAR album. Sadly the answer is probably never.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
awesome. but what happened to the vinyl being available before the cd?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Heintron posted:

Just found this thread and I have been listening to SKA since the early 90s.

Question: is this song a cover (all SKA songs are covers :downs:), because I love it and need to listen to a non jesus version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

I think one is pretty good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx7QVnHF7EY

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 11, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Red Red Blue posted:

The cover of Just is awful though.

It's my favorite of the 3 I've heard.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Except the beginning. Beginning sucks.

What, why is everyone against the best bits that we've heard so far? That intro must have been ball crushingly hard to play. I can't wait to see them try to pull that off live.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I don't know how you can call 3 horns going that fast a bicycle horn. Besides they a copying a synth and playing really fast short notes.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

FateoMcSkippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pUoUTQEf0Y

Oh look it's the beginning of Such Great Heights.

i guess you're right because i literally could not tell the difference.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
http://www.skabrewing.com/main.html Two of my favorite things have finally come together.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Yep, and yep. My local liquor store is pretty good about ordering things, but the highest abv of their regular brews was 6% and that's just not going to support my alcoholism.

On a more Ska related note - is Catch 22 no longer a band? Their last website or myspace update is at least 2 years old. While, I didn't like their last album Dinosaur sounds was alright, and they were totally kickass live even on the songs that were mediocre.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 24, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I thought Permanent Revolution had two good songs, and two ok songs, but overall as an album it was plain old bad. Dinosaur Sounds I like for the most part, the music is solid to great (great being the instrumental) and while the bad songs are just god awful its pretty good and I can just skip the 2 songs i don't like. I think touring for that album was the last time I saw them, or maybe one more time after that with Big D and the Kids Table, and sweet jesus what the gently caress happened to them. I couldn't even make it though the last Big D album.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Are we still talking about bands we miss? (this thread got unmarked WTF with that?) Does anyone remeber STALKING ROXY? they were good, and my cd got scratched to gently caress in the back of my car. God I miss it.

I still have one song on my STILL STANDING comp. Anyone else with that comp is a friend of mine. (4 cds of ska)

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 1, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Thank you! I like them more than I should but drat, I just like them.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 1, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Why do all the good ska bands not make it, or turn really lovely, or drop their horns, and the lovely ones do ok?

I still have my lovely VHS of the slapstick reunion show. At least we got The Lawrence Arms out of them.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I love that they sited references for that.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I just liked how in their fake edit they did the work of including citations as though it was real.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
My love for Streetlight just continues to grow.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I love Just, its totally awesome. I think i liked the unmastered versions the leaked better than these also.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Do they have the horns back? Because if not they can gently caress off. Everything after Myths has been poo poo.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

not a dinosaur posted:

I'm waiting for Stza make a new band that isn't terrible

The first star loving hipsters album was pretty good, I liked it at least.

Im waiting for Big D and the Kids Table to fire their singer or for him to die or something. His halfass talksing terriblness has made the last 2 album unlistenable. Also the lyrics are poo poo.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Weren't most of their earlier songs written by a horn player who left the band?

The long haired sax player? That would make sence. I just keep being surprised by how much i used to love them and how much I completely hate them now. The music isnt that bad either, if they were just instramentles they would improve the new songs 200%

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 18, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Anybody else get their shipments from the RISC store?

I got my LP on Saturday I think.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

The Hippos' "Always Something There to Remind ME" is awesome, but it's more on the Power Pop end of their career than the ska end.

Big D's cover of Iron Maiden's "Iron Maiden."

Honestly, probably just a third of the Metalliska comp.

Its all about Big D's cover of Liars by Ministry

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Im pretty sure a few of the Aquabats are Mormon.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Dickeye posted:

I just listened to this for the first time. I loathe Big D with a passion, but goddamn this is fun

Have you listened to Good Luck, or The Gypsy Hill ep? Because those were good albums. How it Goes is not very good, and also was mixed/mastered worse than their previous albums, like worse than the albums my friends made using the closet as a studio - I'm still shocked that that is how they chose to release that album. Everything after that is utter poo poo.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Tried it

Every time I put on Good Luck though I think "Man you know what this isn't? Hello Rockview. I think I'll listen to that instead." and then that is exactly what I do

I think Im one of the only people that doesn't like Hello Rockveiw. I actually prefer Borders and Boundaries to it, although Losing Streak is still my favorite.

Edit: Well the like 8 songs of Borders and Bound that I dont skip

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Big D is poo poo now regardless, and there is no way hello rockview is better than Good Luck, or Turn the Radio Off for a third wave ska album. :colbert:

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

I'm so late to the party on this band that it's completely shameful, but I just picked up gently caress World Trade and Mediocre Generica by Leftover Crack along with Choking Victim's Crack Rock Steady/Squatta's Paradise. Holy poo poo, awesome.

You should also look into a little band, no longer with us, called No Cash

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 3, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
The album it was on was terrible but I really like RBF's cover of We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wW9PjDf1s

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

not a dinosaur posted:

that's weird to read, i really like a lot of big d's stuff but they are also the only band i have literally walked out on

I love and own every Aquabats album up to Myths...Adventures but when I saw them in 2006 with no horn section they sounded like poo poo and I didn't want to lose anymore love for them by making my self stay.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

guppy posted:

Come to Baltimore :(

Why do all the ska bands go to the Rector and not to Ottobar? Or in really lovely cases Rams Head

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Mr Crumbbley posted:

I don't get why Strictly Rude gets hated on so much.

Lyrics and singing are loving terrible. If it was an intramental it would be a 100 times better.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I got my LP in march, it came with a sticker. I don't know how far in advance it was pre-ordered though.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Back when I ordered my BOTAR sweatshirt it took at least 3 months and I had forgotten I ordered it until they sent an email saying sorry we were on tour and nothing got done. That was back before the Keasby Knights cover album. It seems like things should be running smoother by now.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
what was that ska sreamo band that a video was posted of pages upon pages ago, I've looked but keep missing it. Anybody remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Brokencyde?

Definitely not. And I hate you for making me remember they are a thing.

Folly. Their album is called "Insanity Later."

I don't think so. The video was them on like a boardwalk?