Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
Thanks so much for making this thread. I'm really glad I mentioned it now. :unsmith:

I've lived in England all my life, but during the late 90s I started to really get into the third wave (Less Than Jake were pretty much the gateway band for me - Pezcore was my first album, and it grew from there), despite there being absolutely no scene for it down here. When I was a kid I absolutely loved Madness, and my mum was always a big fan of Prince Buster, so that's stuck with me. I love all "waves".

The most enjoyable shows of my life were both this year: Mad Caddies in Exeter (the entire room became a circle pit, Eduardo jumped in to join us, and Sascha shook my hand), and the Shout It Loud tour in Orlando. I'm hoping to see a lot more bands in 2008 and already have my ticket for Sonic Boom Six, Streetlight and Reel Big Fish in February for a local show. It seems there's a lot more interest for live ska in my part of the country now, which is awesome as hell.

Thornes posted:

Perhaps we should post our current favorite bands/albums.

Mine:
Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere in the Between
Mad Caddies - Keep It Going

I really wish I could say the same for Less Than Jake - In With the Out Crowd, but their most recent stuff really hasn't been doing it for me. :(

demolition rickshaw fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

kenthebear posted:

I can't say I'm a huge ska fan but I like some stuff, mostly third wave. Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish are playing a UK tour next year - anyone know when tickets go on sale? Definitely planning on going to the Leeds gig.

I got mine a couple of days ago from here; my confirmation said they'd be posted ASAP.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

DHCJohn posted:

Actually, the name of the song is "Dear Sergio", for both versions of the Keasbey Nights album (The original Catch 22 and the Streetlight Manifesto rehash).

Just adding that between those two, there's a Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution version too, which is well worth a listen.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

Chipyy posted:

The Lockup

Those songs sound really awesome; I'm certainly in support of hearing the other stuff! Have you ever played in Devon?

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

mix.lunar posted:

(Also, this version of Supernothing outdoes every other version. Why? Because it has beautiful violin playing and it's slow. It's awesome.)

I love the violins in the Gimp version; it sets an entirely different tone for the whole song. I love the later versions too, but this one is very BOTAR to me, and goddamn am I craving some new stuff right now.

Speaking of, I wish I could find BOTAR's song It All Goes Numb. Anybody here heard it?

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

Man, Mad Caddies are coming back to Exeter next month and bringing Dropkick Murphys with them, but the friend I was supposed to be going with can't make it, so I might have to miss out. (Though if any Devon goons are reading this, you should probably IM me.) I'm seeing RBF/Streetlight/Sonic Boom Six the following fortnight though, so that's pretty awesome.

Does anyone know of any upcoming shows in the Boston area for March? I'm going to be there then, and it would be great to attend at least one.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

Seeing you guys talking about Streetlight's latest show has gotten me even more excited about seeing them again in a week. They're playing with Sonic Boom Six, but I've found I only really like one of their songs. Has anyone else here seen them live? Are they any good on stage?

On a related note, does anyone have any recs for more female-fronted ska? I love Dance Hall Crashers and Save Ferris already, but finding more along those lines is apparently difficult.

LAST QUESTION: Are any of you going to any of the Dropkick Murphys shows in Boston next month?

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

For any of you Florida folks around Jacksonville the Supervillains just got added as headliners to our June 3rd show at Jackrabbits. I'm super excited because every time I've seen the Supervillains live they've been awesome. I pretty much never see anybody talking about them on ska boards though, I think they might be bigger with the Pepper/Sublime kinda crowd than with the ska kids crowd. Anybody else here love them as much as I do? If you haven't checked them out their last cd Grow Yer Own is really badass.

I love the Supervillains! I hope I get the chance to see them sometime, they sound like they're a great show. Wish I could make it there for the 3rd for both of you, I bet it's gonna be loving awesome.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

Wow, GNV FLA is a massive improvement on IWTOC, I'm loving the return of the horns. The two opening tracks are loving awesome especially.

That kid on the BBC site reminded me of something I found on Youtube recently and remember seeing, so I figured you guys might get a kick out of it. Colgate Blue Minty Gel! http://youtube.com/watch?v=PZVHXRs-kG0

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

First song is Brown Eyed Girl cover by Skatalica. I'm pretty sure 10 (the background song when they're talking about his band name) is the Skatalites, I know I've heard it before but I can never remember Skatalites song names. Song #6 is a mystery, sounds a bit like Big D but I really doubt it is.

And I just was looking through the first list, when the hell did The Stray Bullets break up? I'm disappointed, they were great.

6 is Capdown - Cousin Cleotis

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Is there anything Save Ferris like that isn't terrible? I know of Tip the Van, a CT ska band, but they have this gimmick in singing harmonic fourths (I think its fourths?) and that wears thin pretty quickly. Also, old No Doubt works, but have any other worthwhile 3rd wave bands had female vocalists?

You know of Dance Hall Crashers, right?

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

gently caress yeah, seeing LTJ on November 5th at a very small venue in Exeter. I'm excited because I haven't had time to see any bands this year yet and I was pretty happy with GNV FLA. Plus I don't usually do poo poo on Guy Fawkes' Night.

Anyone know if they're playing any of their older songs on this tour? Last year in Orlando I was loving stoked to hear Liquor Store, but that was chosen on the Wheel of Fortune thing that they did.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I don't care about the shirts people wear to shows, wear what you like. :v: Everyone's just there to have fun and enjoy the music. Or they should be.

I got tickets for Streetlight playing in Exeter the first week of December, fuuuck yes. I have like a year of not seeing any bands, and two of my favourites suddenly come to the same place a couple weeks apart.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

Just got back from LTJ's show in Exeter. It was loving awesome - they switched venues last minute so the building was way smaller, which made it all the more fun. The set list was an amazing mix of everything (and nothing from In With the Out Crowd :v: ). I was ecstatic to hear them play Jen Doesn't Like Me Anymore.

The best part was meeting them completely unexpectedly right before the show. I got them all to sign/deface my free poster.

I wish really tall guys would stop being right at the front every single show I go to, though. I can't see over them. :(

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

Dickeye posted:

The video of him doing an acoustic set is even better.
The crowd sings the horn riffs and the backing vocals

From Bamboozle 08? This guy has a bunch of those if anyone here hasn't seen them. I absolutely can't get enough of his acoustic stuff.

I found this video through that guy's favourites, thought I'd share it because it's pretty nice.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

weekly font posted:

Quick question, I need some help in hating on a band; Mysterious Aftertaste might know this answer.

I saw Streetlight last time they played at Starland Ballroom and one of their openers was this atrocious ska band that had choreographed dance moves and poo poo. What was the name of the band?

Suburban Legends?

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

So last night's Streetlight show in Exeter was the best I have ever been to. Dan Potthast opened and was great fun, I got to talk with him after the show and he's a really nice guy. Random Hand were good too.

The room the show was in was so loving tiny I was a foot away from Kalnoky the entire set and got to hand him his acoustic guitar. :v: I also finally got to hear Linoleum and It's a Wonderful Life live, which were well worth the wait. Aaaand afterwards I got hugs (and a photo!) with him and got to tell him thanks for everything. He was amazingly kind. It was awesome.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

Has anybody here seen Bomb the Music Industry? They've been booked for a show in Exeter towards the end of this month and I enjoy a lot of their stuff so I was wondering how they are live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

Why did they do another version of Monkey Man? Not that this one's bad, it's just that it's really not much different from the first one. Then again I love pretty much any version of that song.

Gotta agree with everyone about Brown Eyed Girl. I've got a bunch of different covers of it and RBF's has got to be the most enjoyable. I love what they did with Talk Dirty To Me too, but those are the only ones on the whole album that really stand out to me. It's a fun listen overall, but not as exciting as I think I pumped myself up for.