Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I might go see Streetlight Manifesto on their Somewhere in the Between tour on November 14th at the Chameleon Club in Lancaster. Depends, if I can't catch that one, I'm screwed because the tour disappears from where I am. On a lighter note, does anyone know of any good ska bands in Pennsylvania? The only thing people play around here is Hardcore and some Techno-Pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Anyone who is a large fan of Tomas Kalnolky's work is probably familiar with his very first band "Gimp" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimp_%28band%29). It's not that hard to find the only thing they ever recorded, a cassette called "Smiles for Macavity" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiles_for_Macavity). If anyone is interested, my dad helped me figure out how to play the intro to "Mrs. Butterworth's Indestructible Bomb Shelter" and I could post it here.

I guess I should also mention that the album doesn't really have any Ska elements in it except for upstrokes. It honestly is a lot more Punk than Third-Wave Ska, if you could even pretend to consider it that. If that offends anyone, I'll just edit the post and we can act like it never existed, I just thought that since it's Tomas Kalnolky, it should be in here.

(Also, this version of Supernothing outdoes every other version. Why? Because it has beautiful violin playing and it's slow. It's awesome.)

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Why is it that a lot of people who say they're ska fans only like First Wave or Two-tone and completely hate on Third-Wave? I mean I don't particularly like First Wave or Two-Tone but I like to listen to them some times. Hell the only reason I got into ska is because I played a game called "Aggressive Inline" almost 24/7 and always wanted to dance when "Sell Out" came on. Also I love "Wrong Way" and even though the song isn't very ska-ish, the band (Sublime) is.

I guess I got a bit off-post there. But anyway, can someone answer that question for me?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I have a copy on my iPod and computer. If I remember correctly, it's almost impossible to find a version of that nowadays. Also, according to the wiki, a bunch of bands were recording songs off of that album for a tribute album to them. Did it get canceled or was it released and slipped by me?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

lessthankyle posted:

I'm glad RBF is seemingly back on track, I was really discouraged after We're Not Happy... but I can't wait to see where they go from this.

Yea, I'm pretty sure that on their Live DVD (the newest one; Our Live Album is Better Than Your Live Album) Aaron said something about during Cheer Up, he thought that the record company they had wanted more of a rock sound. That's why he formed Forces of Evil, he felt that once Cheer Up came out, their fans would hate them and he wanted to still play Ska.

Quest For Glory II posted:

How does infusing rock elements make a band less ska, but not punk? I must be missing a page or two in my hipster handbook.

Because they aren't punk elements. It's slower guitar riffs and not the fast ones that are in punk.

SkaWes posted:

I don't know what you're talking with all of this hipster handbook poo poo, I didn't say anything about punk elements.

I think he was attempting to insult you.

mix.lunar fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 30, 2007

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

seventeen posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that loves the Voodoo Glow Skulls :smith:

Don't worry, I like them too... well, I probably could say I did, but I've only ever heard DD Don't Like Ska and I think it's really catchy!

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
You get to see Dropkick Murphy's AND Big D in one night!? :( That's not fair!

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

You can now listen to our new album in its entirety online!

http://tajmoteltrio.com/part-of-the-problem.html

There's 12 songs total and I'm not sure if it'll be like this for everybody but for me I can only see the titles of the first 5 although all 12 songs play. Enjoy.

Awesome, thanks!

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Zox :(

What's wrong with Zox?

Thornes posted:

Motherfucker. Anywhere but Troy! Why must they torture me like this?!

What's wrong with Troy? That's where I might go to see them.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

seventeen posted:

Some Streetlight Manifesto dates have been announced

Can't confirm all of the shows, but they're touring with Zox and Dan Potthast of MU330. I assume they're on board for the full tour.

Can't wait for the 27th!

Where did you find these? I checked Streetlight's main site and their myspace and nothing about it is on there.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Cool, thanks for informing me man! If any dates in PA come up, could you post them in here? I'd rather not have to drive 5 and 1/2 hours to see them.

mix.lunar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 7, 2008

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Boo-ya! my dad just agreed to drive me to Williamsville, NY for their show! Thanks for all the tour dates and letting me be lazy seventeen!

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

guppy posted:

Haha, I just listed myself on Facebook as attending the Streetlight show on the 21st and I'm by far the oldest person listed, most of the others are still in high school

Hah, I'm going to the 29th show and I feel like I'm going to be the youngest there. But that's probably because my dad had to buy the tickets to get me in. Eugh, I hate being under 18.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
A lot of people like the way Big D sounds. Besides, if I wanted a jam band, I'd go see the Grateful Dead.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Ah, sorry. My bad, never heard of them before.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
^
No need to be a dick man.

Mike_V posted:

Augustus Pablo is not a jam band. I use "jams" as a term for "good songs," not noodle around on stage.

I listened to one song on youtube. I'm not into original ska, but that instrument he plays is amazing. Nice chill music, thanks for introducing me to him.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I just ordered the Reel Big Fish vinyl set! Which includes the 1997 split with Goldfinger's "Teen Beef" with the original version of RBF's Take On Me and the 1998 split with Cherry Poppin' Daddies "Vacationing In Palm Springs" with "Nothin' Like A Dame" by Reel Big Fish. Also it comes with a brand new limited edition double picture disk of "Monkeys for Nothin' and the Chimps for Free" with 2 bonus tracks not on the CD!

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Why the Reel Big Fish shop my good man!

http://66.216.107.51/

I swear to god, that's the url. I got it off their myspace. You can buy with Paypal, Visa, Mastercard, and Discovery.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Yes! I snagged one of the sets before they sold out!

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
RBF just put up a bunch of vintage shirts that they found in a warehouse. Limited sizes though.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

The Banana Pee posted:

I didn't even know that TTMT were still together. I'll have to see if they come around here soon. She's Mad is one of the best third wave ska songs ever.

You realize that the "Josh Wow" you posted under is their bassist and that they have a new album called 'Part of the Problem' right?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Hey guys, guess what came in the mail today? Monkeys for Nothin' and the Chimps for Free!, Vacationing in Palm Springs, and Teen Beef!

If anyone was wondering, the special songs that are only on MfNatCfF are "Bang! The Mouse Explodes" and "Cannibal (Dance Mix)".

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Kick rear end, will it still be in Tennessee?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
RUN TO THE SHOW LAZLOW, RUN!

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I would but its in Tennessee and I'm in Pennsylvania. :smith:

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I don't really feel that Streetlight Manifesto is a skanking band. The more I listen to their music I feel like moshing but I'll listen to Reel Big Fish and want to skank. I don't know, maybe I'm weird.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Is...is he trolling a music thread?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Less Than Jake's Vinnie Fiorello spilled the beans in a recent interview with Australia's Triple-J and our good friend Stu Harvey managed to get a few details out of him. First, the band is currently putting "the finishing touches" on the new full length, and first for their newly launched Sleep It Off Records, with plans for it to be released on June 24th, 2008. The band is working with Matt Allison (Rise Against, Alkaline Trio, Lawrence Arms, Copyrights, Methadones) in Chicago.

Along with mentioning the album, Vinnie talks at length about the bands new reissues, their extensive back catalogue and what the future holds for Less Than Jake.

You can check out the entire interview here.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Badass, I can't wait until the show on the 28th, I hope it's as amazing as its looking like so far.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
So instead of writing a clever song like "Josh Sucks Kites", or "Turn Down the Suck", people will think you wrote "Josh Shits Kites", or "Turn Down the poo poo", and they will be sorely disappointed.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Hey Josh, have you guys ever come up the east coast to PA or New York? I wish you guys would come up to PA but you probably don't have a very big following up here.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I thought that Fishbone was one of the more well known Ska bands?

Oh and for suggestions, I've been able to find Reel Big Fish, Five Iron Frenzy, and Streetlight Manifesto stuff pretty easily.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Amazing find Striker. It does sound loving awesome. I hope they release it on vinyl as well.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Speaking of Scott Klopfenstein, guess who's playing the whole Warped Tour? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 30 minute set? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 1 hour 30 minute set? ANGELS AND loving AIRWAVES.

I'm so loving mad right now.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
According to RBF, they have a half-hour set. Also, even if it's just a 20 minute set, I know they'll come back out and do more. I just have a burning hatred of them. I don't know why.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I personally like Thomas' voice. I liked his acoustic set, but yea, he screwed up a lot and told the audience that he was looking at them for lyrics. Actually he walked over to his band mates on the side and asked them what the next lyric was multiple times. That being said, it is Kalnoky and he was probably doing that just to gently caress around.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Vinnie loves Gainesville yet hates it. I saw them play at UF last year and they were really into it, but talked about how boring Gainesville was and how there were so many rednecks. It's weird. Especially since there is nothing about Gainesville to like.

Well, it being their (I don't know if they all came from there, not really up to scratch on my LTJ history) hometown, they probably like it a little. I like my hometown even though it's a cesspool of convicts, drug addicts, and drug dealers. No idea why I still like it, I just do.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Well it seems the Warped Tour has out done themselves again. Someone managed to walk backstage and walk out with Aarron Barrets new Epiphone guitar. Seems like there isn't even a reason to have security there.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Calavera posted:

I used to be really into ska, but have tapered off into the indie genre.

When did indie become a genre? Not really picking on you, but I've always know it as a band/group he got little to no recognition, yet were very good. But people now-a-day's talk about it like it's a certain sound you have to achieve. Did I miss the memo or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Nah, it's not just you. I hear a lot of people say it.