Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Possible stage fright. I can't look at people when I play for my friends and family so I end of staring at the guitar the whole time. I'd probably do that too if I was ever up on stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Harmonix posted:

IGN: And if you feel it was a success, might we see more ska tracks as DLC in the future?

Brosious: Yep. Hit me with some suggestions.

Harmonix posted:

IGN: Not to harp on it, but why the Bosstones? Was there ever a consideration for a 2 Tone ska song like The Specials' "Gangsters" or English Beat's "Mirror in the Bathroom"?

Brosious: Oh. Yeah, and we'll get to them. Being from Boston, we went with The Bosstones this time.

Hell yea! Door opened for ska in RB.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
In their wiki it says something about them calling themselves The English Beat in America as not to be confused with a band called Beat. Or maybe I'm full of poo poo.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I like their version of "Little Bitch" :(

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
To stray from the current conversation... Every time "Desperate" by Suburban Legends comes on Pandora, I think it's Reel Big Fish. Am I retarded or do they really sound that similar?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
:( I really like Thomas' acoustic sets.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I would so go to Skalloween, but sadly, I have neither a job or a car to get me there. That and I'm in the middle of Pennsylvania so that would be a bit of a drive.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Hell yea, new RBF album!

RBF posted:

OC'S original skanking pranksters Reel Big Fish have finished mixing and mastering the tracks that will make up their new album, a 10 song serving of high-energy covers which they've dubbed, Fame, Fortune and Fornication.

The release is set to include the band's signature ska take on such classics as Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me" and The Eagles "The Long Run."

For good measure, Reel Big Fish pay tribute to their early ska/reggae forefather's with versions of Desmond Dekker's "Keep A Cool Head"

The album (which will also be available in limited special edition vinyl) was produced by front man Aaron Barret and recorded at Music Inc. Studios in Orange, CA.

Set to drop in January 2009 via Rock Ridge Music, the release of Fame, Fortune and Fornication will coincide with the launch of a major world tour with Streetlight Manifesto and up-and-comer's One Pin Short and Tip The Van. The trek will take the band across the US and over to the UK, Europe and Russia. Later this month Reel Big Fish heads over to Latin American for a string of shows in Brazil, Ar gentina, Chile and Mexico.

If I may say, this is the best thing ever. RBF, Streetlight Manifesto, One Pin Short, and Tip the Van on tour together. gently caress yes.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I used to listen to FIF but I hated the direction they moved in after the first record.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

weekly font posted:

XMas stuff is cool, what do you play? The thing that blew me away most when I looked at your page is that Mustard Plug is still together.

He plays bass for them.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I like RBF because even when they make generic songs, you know that just want to have fun and isn't that really what ska is all about? I thought Monkeys wasn't that great of an album but it's apparent that they were starting to have more fun again and I'm cool with that :unsmith:

That's the main reason I love Reel Big Fish. They all seem to love what they're doing no matter what they do.

That and Aaron's voice is like crack to me.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I'm guessing 09' since they're on the 09' Warped Tour. Also lolwut at Thomas and all of Streetlight getting an album done on time.

mix.lunar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 11, 2009

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
drat I had no idea that existed. I'm going to pick it up probably next week.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Don't know if this counts but Sublime is reuniting.

MTV posted:

Nearly four months ago, rumors began swirling that Sublime — the celebrated Long Beach ska/punk misfits who achieved fame after the death of lead singer Bradley Nowell in 1996 — were contemplating a full-fledged reunion with a mysterious "unknown singer and guitarist" filling Nowell's spot. Well, over the weekend, at a Mexican restaurant in Sparks, Nevada, that reunion officially happened.

Of course, that sort of depends on your definition of "reunion".

On Saturday, Del Mar, a punk act featuring former Sublime drummer Bud Gaugh, took the stage at the Cantina Los Tres Hombres, a Sparks restaurant/bar (try the Burritos Grandes). After finishing the set, Gaugh then took the stage again, joined by Sublime bassist Eric Wilson and a Southern California singer by the name of Rome and began playing Sublime songs (check out a photo of the set list here), even reportedly testing out at least one new song.

The audience went crazy (here's a clip). After all, since calling it quits in '96, Sublime have had a string of hits (most notably "What I Got" and "Santeria"), sold more than 17 million albums worldwide and inspired a cottage industry of tribute acts, including Providence, Rhode Island's Badfish. But does the Cantina gig mean that Sublime are back in business? Well, according to Del Mar, the answer is "yes".

"So, Del Mar played the gig at Cantina last night ... it was packed and amazing. What really f---ing killed it was Sublime reuniting and playing with new singer, Rome," the band wrote on its MySpace page. "We're f---ing stoked for Bud, Eric and Rome ... Bud's still playing with Del Mar, and Sublime doesn't have any firm tour plans or anything Yet, but we'll keep you posted on their progress."

That post set off a flurry of message-board activity, most of it centered on the question of whether a Sublime without Nowell actually counts as Sublime at all. "Sorry, but it's not Sublime without Brad Nowell," one PunkDisasters.com poster wrote. "That's like saying Nirvana reunited last night." Fans also wonder if this so-called reunion is just another incarnation of the Long Beach Dub Allstars, the group Gaugh and Wilson formed following Nowell's death of a heroin overdose in 1996.

And while the debate may rage, according to one person who was at the Cantina show, what he saw was very much the reincarnation of Sublime.

"They sure sounded like Sublime. It was incredible," Thad Peterson, the booker for the Cantina, told MTV News yesterday (March 2). "It was an all-around incredible show. The band was tight, and they sounded great."

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Anyone who didn't catch the acoustic versions of Dear Sergio, Forty Days, and Somewhere in the Between on AP Radio, I ripped just the songs. Since AP is a free show, would it be ok if I uploaded them and put the link up?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Lurchington posted:

If it's allowed, I'd appreciate it. :) Also, if there's a podcast associated, a link to that would be great too.

Uh, I'm not sure what the podcast is, I just listened to it on their website that I forget right now. Here is the link to the download for the acoustic songs. If this is not allowed, just tell me and I'll remove it.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Oh shoot, sorry, I had uploaded it to a private site. The password is luelinks. I'll reup without a password.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I actually just preordered Community Records Comp Volume 2. Can't wait for it to be released.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Dickeye posted:

I'm gonna point and laugh while I buy both albums on Thursday

Also those of you who asked for the EP and then are never online (Guppy) need to give me another way to hook you up with it

I'm always online at Tailsofsymphonia on AIM. Hook me up please, thanks.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Stoop Kid posted:

Does anyone know where I can buy the album that contains this song:

http://onecoolguy.net/One_Cool_Guy-Be_With_You.mp3

I'm absolutely in love with it and I can't find anything but a compilation album that people are charging 40 dollars for :(

I don't think you can buy it anymore, but if you "look around" you can grab 7 songs of their "From Downtown" album.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Dickeye posted:

I'm going to keep saying Streetlight is so much better if you can catch them at a smaller venue

Or even a largish one that's not Warped

Penny Arcade kicked rear end

I'll be able to either dispute this or second it after the 15th.

I was at a show in Buffalo with Dan Potthast, Zox, and Streetlight.

Only around 40 or so people knew who Dan was then after Zox, about 3/4ths of the crowd went to the bar and the 30 people who were there came up. It was the most amazing show I've ever been too. Everyone who was on the floor in front of the stage sang along with every song.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
If a CD has "Please feel free to make copies of this for friends" does that mean I have grounds to upload it?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

I loving love Matt Wixson. He is one of the coolest dudes ever. No idea about his online doucheness or non doucheness though, but he is actually a kickass dude irl.

I'm going to have to agree with this. He was a really chill dude when I meant him.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Dickeye posted:

There's a decent one on youtube that's all of Keasbey and the rest of Point, it's the closest we've got for right now

Link? Because I search and all I get is pure poo poo cell phone video with horrid audio quality.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Thanks for posting the mix video. Also I've had that piano cover in my favorites for a long time now. It's pretty awesome.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Dickeye posted:

So I'm sure someone else here was wondering what Streetlight was doing the 4th, with it being the last show of the tour and Soprano's last show

Turns out, they're playing both albums

Yeah

BOTH ALBUMS

WITH A 99S0R LISTENING PARTY INTERMISSION IN BETWEEN

gently caress

Where the gently caress is that show again?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I still love Linoleum, but I've heard that live a bunch. But Such Great Heights is really good, and I don't really like the original.

Kinda wish they would have done OCG - Xample, but I think everyone that was in OCG is gone now. Haven't heard that since the '05 tour :/

Oh man, if they did Xample or Bill Kozby it would make my life.

Also, they should cover some Suburban Rhythm songs. I would love to hear Kalnoky sing Lust, 18 Inch Ruler, My Sister Sam, or Gameshow.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Free so called "rad tunes"? gently caress yea I'm up for it.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Obama Yo Mama posted:

the five iron frenzy dvd release date has been posted on the website, march 2nd :woop:

Early birthday gift to me! :3:

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
What's the name of that Streetlight fanboard again? I cannot remember it and I don't really feel like digging through 60 pages to find it.

Edit:

Heintron posted:

In that case someone needs to make a non jesus cover of it :colbert:

You're in luck! With all this Streetlight talk... here's a badly sung, badly played cover called "Thomas Is a Friend of Mine". Enjoy?

Lyrics posted:

Thomas is a friend of mine

He writes awesome songs and lives life as it should be
And he plays awesome shows for people like me
I've had friends before, and I can tell you that
He's one that'll never leave you flat!

REPEAT CHORUS!

He hates suicide, because he knows how to love his life
He taught me how to rob a bank, and how to wreck my bike
The music may sound different, but the message isn't to blame
It's just my instrumental to lovin' his game

REPEAT CHORUS!

He loves animals, and hates pollution
But you know, he'll always believe in evolution
I don't know his thoughts on religion
But on his newest album he don't seem to like it much!

REPEAT CHORUS!

I'll probably redo it later so I can sing it better/get the timing down. But :effort:

mix.lunar fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 11, 2010

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Obama Yo Mama posted:

i'm starting a ska blog only because i came up with the best loving name for it ever. if any of you want to help write, i'm down. i have a friend who's going to help out also.

I'll help, dunno what I'd write about but I'll give it a shot.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

Taj is leaving for a northeast tour in like 2 days

Why do you skip Pennsylvania? The Amish need ska-lovin' too!

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

I tried to book shows in Harrisburg, Lancaster, Scranton and Philly. Couldn't get anything for any of them on the nights we needed.

drat, well, thanks for trying man.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Anyone who likes Rock Band might love this news. According to RBNnews 493 Ruth by BTMI is apparently up for review on RBN.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Not only are they terrible, since when do Ska bands have money to make music videos like "Bank Song"?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

hedgecore posted:

10/9 at 8PM
Bomb The Music Industry! plays Weezer's The Blue Album & Pinkerton
at The Silent Barn in Queens.

For the love of God, they better record this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Hobbit posted:

Maybe I'm just a music snob but Fall Out Boy and Blink 182 are headlining? Ughhhhh.

I actually like Fall Out Boy. They're really good for being, more or less, straight pop.