Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amorphous Bob
Sep 4, 2007

Buck up and be a man, ya' little bitch.
I got tickets for the Streetlight show this Christmas, and boy-howdy am I ever excited. Somewhere in the between is such a drat good album. Different, but good. I can't wait.

The Aquabats (the band that got me into ska) has disappointed me as of late. I saw them in concert three years ago, and--although it was drat good (the Phenomenauts and the Epoxies opened for them. Whoot)--My heart sank when they proclaimed themselves to be surfer rock. Losing the entire brass was painful enough, but Super Rad just wasn't Super Ran without the horns.

Backno posted:

I also enjoy The Specials some times but just something that I cant put my finger on prevents me from liking most of the 1st/2nd wave stuff

If your taste is Ska is anything similar to that of mine, it might be the tempo. I respect and acknowledge the 1st wave scene, but I just can't get into the reggae stuff. It's too slow for me. Second wave I like, but at the same time dislike a little bit. It's the rough, disorganized sounds that turn me off. Things definitely start to pick up near the end of that era, but it's the residual reggae sound and tempo that stifles my interest. I like 3rd wave the most because it's really fast-paced, and cleaned up a bit, but I still enjoy Catch 22, Streetlight's former stuff, and the gruff voice of the Bosstones. While the reggae roots are still apparent, and some bands still use the slow tempo and thumping bass, bands like Sublime, and the last few songs on the new Mad Caddies album which increase the tempo a bit have a good sound.

In summation, it's the speed of 3rd wave that attracts me to it the most. I can't speak for you, but I can add insight.

Amorphous Bob fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Bob
Sep 4, 2007

Buck up and be a man, ya' little bitch.

guppy posted:

Okay, what? You're talking like you haven't seen them yet, but it's January 3 and they don't have tour dates listed past January.

I live in Minnesota, and they'll be here on the 8th. So yes, I would be talking like I haven't seen them.

Because I haven't, yet.