Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
It suprises me no one has mentioned ska weekend at all. I have gone the last 3 years and drop at least 125 bucks on cds alone every year. Its held in old city of knoxvile,TN so its not a really long trip for a good chunk of the US. 25 bucks and 5 cans of food to see 20-30 ska bands of all types of ska.

and to list the favorite bands

The Malcontents (rip)
Deal's Gone Bad (kick rear end chicago ska band)
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (I want to see these crazy guys from japan)
Big D & the Kids Table
Eastern Standard Time
The Slackers
Fatter than Albert
New York Ska-Jazz Orchestra
Stuck Lucky
Rude King (rip)
Mustard Plug
and like most Streetlight,RBF, old C22

edit: forgot to mention I own the Trojan Ska Box sets Vol 1 & 2, and the special live box set. I respect the first wave stuff and hell listen to some of it but i just cant get into it. I also enjoy The Specials some times but just something that I cant put my finger on prevents me from liking most of the 1st/2nd wave stuff

Backno fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 28, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
yet another reason to hate the boston area...you get all the cool events/bands etc...if its ska and i want to see it im pretty much driving from indianapolis to chicago or cincinnati

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Man for this being the ska megathread I'm suprised no one has mentioned this yet...

SKA WEEKEND 2008
Knoxville, TN
July 19th

more details to come once I get home from work and can pull up the note ben sent out

http://www.myspace.com/skaweekend

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Sorry this took so long...had to install vista the other night anyway

Ska Weekend 2008

JULY 19, 2008
KNOXVILLE, TN
WORLD'S FAIR PARK PERFORMANCE LAWN

You guys better be ready to dance, party, see some great bands, and help out a GREAT cause.

I am donating 100% of the profit to 2nd harvest this year. The more you guys spread the word the better.

ALSO...I will even give you a few band names of the 17 in this email.

THE HITS
FATTER THAN ALBERT
THE TAJ MOTEL TRIO
STEREOHYPE
ROYAL CITY RIOT
CHASE LONG BEACH

many more to come, that is just the first batch of confirmed bands.

Be looking for a new look myspace page too, it is currently under construction.

THERE WILL ALSO BE 2 LOGOS THIS YEAR. One is currently on the page. Yukiko is working on the other, and the design she explained to me is freaking sweet.

PS...Jenn and I are moving back to Nashville this weekend!

So who's going?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Thornes posted:

Time to liven up this thread with some Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra!

I never realized j-ska could reach these levels of awesome until I watched this video of them performing their song Skaravan live.

Look at all the skanking!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R9dWMhSJq0c

You have to love Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra...name me another band that will even think of using a sousaphone. What I would do to see them live 1 time. Its just to bad that th eonly way to get their cds new is for 20-40 bucks a pop, I feel bad that I had to download all but their full tension beaters cd.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Raxe posted:

If you don't mind buying music through iTunes, they have Stompin' Down the Beat and Answer up there for 11.99 and 9.99, respectively I believe. I had to purchase these afte Thornes' post because I lost what music of theirs I had a couple years ago. I loved their versions of Lupin the third and Tetris Type A.

As for another band using the sousaphone, Youngblood Brass Band uses one though they aren't a ska band. There might be other brass bands out there that use one as well.

yeah i very much dislike itunes...they have too low of a bit rate for my liking. alas im stuck getting off of the interwebs.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
More band are out for Ska Weekend

2nd LINE UP ANNOUNCEMENT

WE HAVE A LOT MORE ADDITIONS...HERE IS THE CURRENT LINE UP...4 more bands TBA

LAST MARTYRS OF A LOST CAUSE
50:50 SHOT
MANIC SEWING CIRCLE
IN THE FACE
THE DISREGARDABLES
BIGGER THOMAS
MURPHY'S KIDS
STUCK LUCKY
FATTER THAN ALBERT
STEREOHYPE
HUB CITY STOMPERS
ROYAL CITY RIOT
RYAN SCROGGINS AND THE TRENCHTOWN TEXANS
CHASE LONG BEACH
THE TAJ MOTEL TRIO
THE HITS
AKA RUDIE
MATT WIXSON
MAD-E RUTHLESS

TICKETS
They will go onsale on June 6 at https://www.indietickets.com. $15 and 5 cans of food.

HOTELS
There are 3 hotels within eye shot of the show. Downtown Hilton, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Convention Center. Book now to stay close the show.

POST SHOW/PRE SHOW
More info to come.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
So random question...is anyone here looking at going to ska weekend this year, and if so whould anyone be interested in splitting a hotel room for the night after the show?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Other bands to check out if you want something a little different:
Fatter Than Albert: http://www.myspace.com/fatterthanalbert
They are just a great group of guys in general.

Hub City Stompers: http://www.myspace.com/hubcitystompers

Deal's Gone Bad: http://www.myspace.com/dealsgonebad
More of soul/traditional influenced ska

or if you want something really really different and are a fan of jazz,
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra:
Ska Me Crazy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJZgUpzqAyY
Down Beat Stomp- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgXxkBxxrg
Theme Song from Lupin the 3rd- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okvq_ShSiUw

Backno fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 17, 2008

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Mangue posted:

Ah yeah good old ska. I don't listen to much ska anymore, was more of a fan in jr. high and high school. But I had the privilege to see Johnny Socko a few times (they used to come to Fort Collins, CO all the time, then one day they just stopped *sigh*).

Johnny Socko is great stuff if you can find it.... Full Trucker Effect is one of my favorite albums

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

guppy posted:

Westbound Train - Very good but not a good choice for this tour. Way more traditional ska than the other three, which is fine and all but it's not what most of the crowd came to see. Still, I thought they were really good and I'm gonna look into their albums.

Might I recomend "Transitions", I think it's a lot better the "Five to Two"
Other bands alone the lines of Westbound Train would be Eastern Standard Time, and Go Jimmy Go!, so chech them out while you're at it

e: fixed poor choice of words

Backno fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 25, 2008

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

SinSalvador posted:

In other words, will I be beaten up at Ska Weekend for not wearing a porkpie hat?

no one there will give a poo poo.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
pretty much the only "ska" items I own are black & white checkerd vans, belt, and a generic ska t-shirt. If I am going to a show I wear shorts, random band t-shirt and some shoe other then the vans so I can actually skank (drat you arthritis :argh: ).

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
So I just saw Fatter than Albert, Stuck Lucky, Detonate, and We Are the Union tonight. It was in some guys basement but god drat was it fun. Half way through FTAs set there was a haze in the air from all the sweat :barf: . It makes me sad that I can't go to Ska Weekend this year (roommate lost job and I'm getting married in august), but if you guys get a chance check these guys out.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Mr Crumbbley posted:

as for The Moon Invaders, I really can't figure out a way to get their albums.

http://www.jumpuprecords.com/ Chuck is a good guy to work with.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

gerfatty posted:

Yeah I don't really know what the deal was. That's what I was expecting as well, not so much the typical high school ska crowd. I'm just lamenting the fact that apparently I'm officially too old to be into ska.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWUdu-nwkqU
you are never to old to dance to ska.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
so I have to ask...how was ska weekend?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Josh Wow posted:

I had a great time not just playing but watching a ton of great bands. I know a lot of people were bummed that there weren't any really big bands, but I honestly enjoyed this year a lot more than last year. I think Detonate may have been the band I enjoyed the most, they're super tight and just amazing live. I saw Green Room Rockers for the first time and they were killer live, and Hub city Stompers really surprised me because I don't normally enjoy them that much but they were great. Royal City Riot was also a present surprise because I didn't like them that much last year but they were awesome this year. The only real dissapointment I had was Stuck Lucky, they have a new drummer and they weren't nearly as tight as they normally are and he was playing really simplified versions of their old drummers drumlines.

well I saw Detonate ,Stuck Lucky, and Fatter than Albert like 2 weekes ago and I agree on Detonate and Stuck Lucky. And GRR are from Indiana and I still need to see them when I get a chance. How was the new venue/stage set-up.

fake edit: sorry about all the questions...drat having to plan my wedding in a month

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
That sounds great. I missed out on bands like Eastern Standard Time or your band because other ones where playing that I HAD to see. Hopefully next year they do the same thing. Thanks Josh Wow.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

mix.lunar posted:

Hell yea! Door opened for ska in RB.

For most of those song the guitar line are going to be pretty boring won't they.
Anyway I still think it's freaking sweet.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
So is anyone here going to Chicago for Jump Up Records 15 year birthday party this weekend? Eastern Standard Time, Lord Mike's Dirty Calypsonians, Mr. Symarip, Monkey, and a bunch more over the span of 3 shows at the Bottom Lounge.

Or for the Indianapolis goons on the 17th in Broad Ripple: Deal's Gone Bad and Mustard Plug.

Holy poo poo ska music somewhat near me for a change AND I get to go to is as well.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
to second what Josh Wow is saying Fatter than Albert and Stuck Lucky are loving amazing. You can download albums from both of them for free off the website.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Just got back from Chicago. The show was freaking awesome. Started out the night with the wife and I browsing the merch tables. While talking to one of the guys Dr. Ring Ding walks up and strikes up a conversation with the merch guy. He goes off on some rather dirty joke along the lines of "There once was a man from Nantucket...".

All 4 bands rocked the house, but seeing Roy Ellis performing with Eastern Standard Time playing the music was the highlight. I will be uploading the pics I took with my phone later today.

Now all I have to do is wait for Deal's Gone Bad and Mustard Plug in 2 weeks :)

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

ReDiNmYhEaD posted:

While slightly related I got to see Dr Ring Ding, Monkey, and The Impalers(sans vocalist) at the Red Devil Lounge in SFO on Tuesday. loving awesome!

Ring ding has a few more shows in Northern California before he trips the Atlantic again; I'd highly recommend you check it out!

I would have seen Monkey and the Dr. when I was in Chicago but the show didn't start till 4 and my wife and I would not have gotten home till around midnight....we where kind of sad.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Yoshifan823 posted:

Oh god, I'm praying that I'm not doing anything when RBF is in Chicago. That's the closest they're prolly ever going to get to me before I'm off to college. Though, if I get into NYU...

edit: And, while I'm here, I might as well ask about some more things to listen to. I've got a small collection of songs from a variety of the bigger names, mostly RBF and LTJ, but a bit of SM, Bosstones, and Goldfinger. It's more of a greatest hits type collection, with some covers thrown in, but I do have the last two LTJ albums. What full CDs are recomended if you're just getting into the genre?

to list a few Skapone, The Green Room Rockers, The Pinstripes, and Mustard Plug just off the top of my head.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

Really any LTJ before Borders and Boundaries, maybe throw Anthem in for shits and giggles, but that last one made me think "Oh so this is what didn't make it onto Anthem?"

I'm surprised nobody said Mustard Plug, Evildoers Beware! and In Black And White especially.

Look 4 post above you :)

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Smegbot posted:

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't already to give this a download, it's pretty good.

I agree with this statement.

Also The Green Room Rockers have released a new cd. You can hear 2 song off of it on their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/greenroomrockers one is on the player the other is a youtube link.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

I was supposed to see Deal's Gone Bad this summer but they canceled the show for some reason

I think the lead singer had to get his appendix taken out.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Sharon is Karen posted:

I'm sure a lot of people have seen this, but this short planet smashers video always puts a smile on my face and reminds me of why I got into ska in my early teens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biP8QZzBp-g

I was at Ska Weekend that year...sadly missed that set. I was distracted by these guys http://www.myspace.com/fatterthanalbert. That really was an awesome show, my favorite band was the opening act for the whole thing and are the reason I am in to ska.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Thornes posted:

I'm considering seeing a show with the following bands: "mustard plug, eastern standard time, void union, we are the union, royal city riot and hub city stompers"

Of them I only know Mustard Plug and Hub City Stompers. What can you guys tell me about the others?

EST are freaking amazing if you are into the jazz/tradional side of ska. I saw them in Chicago for Jump Up reccords birthday bash (awesome honeymoon trip) and was blown away. We are the Union I like live, HATE their CDs.

EDIT:
Also Josh you are playing a show in Indianapolis with my buddies band, but I can't go. My new vacation days don't kick in till June 1st and I am out (stupid getting married :argh: ).

Backno fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 7, 2009

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Mike_V posted:

How does it compare to their other work?

Pretty much what he said....I must know.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

Man being on tour and running into them doesn't count jerk

Fatter Than Albert is coming in two weeks and I can't wait

I've had Erin's Runaway Imagination on repeat for the last couple days

They are going to be here July 4th...but I have to work :suicide:...drat YOU FEDEX :argh:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

Well don't I feel like a horse's rear end

Also other dude you should call in sick and go see them

This show is gonna be good

Its really, really tempting....I need to see what time the show is first. I mihgt be able to swap shifts with some one so I can get off work at 7pm, miss the opening band, and see my boys from the Big Easy.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

oh snap

The FTA show next week just got better: Razbari Sumthing is going to be doing a reunion show

poo poo. Yeah.

:suicide: The Stuck Lucky/Fatter Than Albert show/bar-b-que is starting right now and I am stuck at work. I would have called in but I would have lost me holiday pay for yesterday...this loving sucks

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

BrandNewHero posted:

Okay, so I absolutely bloody LOVE the Stray Bullets, and the new Have Nots album is fantastic as well. However, as far as ska-punk goes, I have a really, really hard time finding bands that I like. Maybe I'm just picky, but most ska-punk bands I find a) are too punky for my tastes, and not enough ska, or, more often, b) have singers that I find really irritating, to the point at which I can't enjoy the music. For example, I just listened to some of Choking Victim's stuff, and while I dig the music, the singer annoys the hell out of me. I feel the same way about Operation Ivy (I know, I know), Big D and the Kids Table and NOFX (although they're not quite as bad). I just don't like whiny or uncontrolled-sounding vocals, and that sort of seems to be the norm in punk.

A large reason I like the Stray Bullets as much as I do is their singer, Jon Cauztik. He has a scratchy voice, but it's super focused, strong, and extremely rhythmic. Does anybody have any suggestions for ska punk bands I might enjoy? The only other I can think that I like is The Suicide Machines, who I've listened to for many years. Oh, and The Flatliners are pretty good, too. Stuff like that!

I am willing to bet the singers voice will drive you mad but I will mention Stuck Lucky. They are one of the few punk/ska bands I actually like.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

dnz posted:

Put my Ska is Dead CD in my car a few months ago, started giving it more listens - it prompted me to get into Deals Gone Bad, and my god they're awesome.

good for you...absolutely amazing live, and they are all very, very cool guys.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

Alright so this afternoon/tonight I'm going to be uploading some more "local" music (as in from Syracuse), this time it's Razbari Sumthing. They really don't mind since they're broken up now and I want more people that aren't from Syracuse to hear them

Basically what I'm saying is post if you want some rad tunes, or IM me tonight, or something

I saw these guys the first year I went to Ska Weekend. I was thining "what the gently caress is their name and why are they on the main stage?" HOOOOOOOOLY poo poo can their horn players play. Saddly when they lost their drummer on of the trumpets started playing the drums. It sucked because their songs lost all the cool stuff the 2 trumpets could/would do. Still very good band and I listen to both of their albums often.

Backno fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 29, 2009

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

And the other trumpet is pulling double duty as the singer when they do reunion shows, now

I can't wait to go home at Christmas and see them play again

Last time they played one of their oldest songs, and it's a terrible song, and they couldn't remember any of the words and oh my god it was just spectacular

e There's 2 EPs and an album, what do you have

razbari sumthing ep and the great distraction

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

that's the demo then

EPs were Saks On Ball Street and Forget The Words

e: Shoot me an IM

I dont have PMs :( my email is username @ gmail

edit also I double checked I have forget the words, not the demo. I can never remember the names of albums :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
I think I need to use some of the bday/xmas money I just got/am getting to stock up on some cds. There are like 4 off the top of my head I need to get (moon invaders, green room rockers newest one, fatter than alberts new one, and a few others)

also I <3 my new avatar. warhammer 40k + ska = match made in heaven

Backno fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 14, 2009