Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

So, is anyone else in the Cleveland area? If so, are you going to the best show ever?

4/20:

The Slackers
Bomb The Music Industry!

Holy poo poo. Two of my favorite bands ever playing a show on 4/20, the day after the old ska band I was in will be playing a reunion gig. So much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

guppy posted:

Oh hay, I didn't realize Medium Rare was a compilation. Still, it is apparently almost entirely new-to-CD -- Wiki says three new songs, nine previously unreleased tracks and some rare B-sides.

Plus, 'Don't Worry Desmond Dekker' is one of the best songs that the Bosstones have put out in a while. It gives me high hopes for what a new record would sound like and hopefully, they'll tour again so I can finally go see them. Let's Face It was the first album I ever bought and it'd be a shame if they stopped playing all together before I get a chance to see them.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

alvinthegreat posted:

I love the Bosstones. Got really lucky one year and caught them and RBF at Warped Tour five or six years ago. Bad Religion and Flogging Molly were also there.

On the other hand, I also got a really bad sunburn on the back of my neck.

Missing out on both a Flogging Molly/Bosstones double bill AND Flogging Molly, the Blue (motherfucking) Meanies and the loving World Inferno Friendship Society because I was a fuckup in school has always been my biggest punk regret.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Mr Plow posted:

I saw a clip from a kids show that is relevent and pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-R47vp2XQ

The dad is a rudeboy, the kid is a skinhead (the ska listening kind, not the later neo-nazi kind), and the girl is a mod. And of course that is the iconic scooter hiding in the background. Also, there's the aquabats doll and the ska imagery and probably other stuff I missed.

Aw man, now I wish that Hepcat were back together...

This is still one of the best television clips ever.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

OniKun posted:

The opener for them, Dan Potthast, was surprisingly hilarious and set a good mood. He had some pretty catchy songs, and I really enjoyed his stuff. I've never heard of him before, I'm excited to see him again if he comes back here someday. He made a pretty good joke about how people said Streetlight Manifesto fans were douchebags.

You should listen to MU330, the (kickass) ska band that Potthast has been in since the early 90's. Really fun ska-rock.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Chipyy posted:

My band (https://www.myspace.com/thelockup) just signed to "Do The Dog" records!

Do The Dog are one of the UK's larger ska and reggae labels, with some cracking bands on (http://www.dothedog.com/ http://www.myspace.com/dothedogmusic), so we are well pleased with this development.

Congrats! I remember listening to you guys back when I was lurking and really liking your stuff, but forgetting the name. Glad to see that you guys are getting up in the world.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Mike_V posted:

New Slackers album is slammin. I suggest you all pick it up if you don't want to look like a geek.

Gonna grab it when I see them on :420:4/20:420:. Two of my favorite bands playing on one night and I've got comp tickets. loving sweet.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Josh Wow posted:

You asked for it but it's not good news.

As you may or may not know on the Ska Is Dead Tour that had the Planet Smashers, the Toasters and Westbound Train the Planet Smasher's bassist got held back at the border cause he had some pot on him. The bassists for Westbound Train and the Toasters filled in for him on that tour, and since then we haven't really heard much from them. About 2 months or so ago I heard that the Planet Smashers sold their van, and then a few weeks ago I heard that the sax player for them is now playing with the Toasters, and their drummer is also playing with the Toasters but will be switching out with the drummer of Westbound Train as well.

So it looks like, for at least the time being, the Planet Smashers are dead. :( For me this is right up there with the Suicide Machines breaking up, and I can only hope that one day they get back together and tour some more. Unlike the Suicide Machines though I see it as pretty likely that they at least record some more music, and then when Dave can get back in the states go on tour so I'm trying to stay optimistic about it.

Aw man. :( That's horrible. I saw them open for the Aquabats back when Prince Adam was still in the band and they were one of the tightest live bands I've ever seen.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Saw the Slackers and Bomb the Music Industry! with the Skatastrophes last night at the Grog Shop. It was a loving stellar show. The Skatastrophes played solid 3rd-wave ska punk that kept the energy up. They also had a little guitar trouble in the middle of the set, so the bassist and drummer started playing 'Crack Rock Steady' and the entire crowd joined in while the guitarist fixed his connection. Bomb the Music Industry! would do the same thing later on in the night, but changing the words to be about Ara Babajian ('It's Ara, he's in Leftover Crack...')

Marcus Geard of the Slackers, decked out in his ice-cream suit, came out and introduced Bomb, saying that they were his favorite new band. After the band got set up, Jeff Rosenstock comes on stage wearing a bright-red zoot suit (which he progressively unbuttoned during the set) and they went straight into Happy Anterrabae Day. The crowd was loving manic; I was in the front row and I had to hold onto the monitors to prevent myself from buckling under the mass of people behind me. By contrast, the Slackers' set was really chill and tight. They played at least a half-dozen songs from the new record, plus a bunch of old favorites and a pretty long encore full of great requests.

I think the highlight of the night was Bomb the Music Industry! playing 'Get Warmer,' simply because it's one of my favorite songs and I never thought that I'd see them play it live. Second after that was probably hanging out with all the bands after the show; both of the bands were really nice and accommodating of my gushing. Vic Ruggiero and Jeff Rosenstock are two of my favorite lyricists and songwriters and getting a chance to hang out and chat with them was amazing.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Red Album and that on the same day? Decisions, decisions...

poo poo, that's when the LaGrecia album comes out as well. Plus, it's my birthday. My friends better get me most of these records.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The Planet Smashers just announced a series of May tour dates in Europe:

quote:

May 8, 2008 Zaandam, Netherlands Kade
May 9, 2008 Rotterdam, Netherlands Waterfront
May 10, 2008 Meerhout, Belgium Groez Rock Festival
May 11, 2008 Gera, Germany Untergrund
May 12, 2008 Stuttgart, Germany LKA Longhorn
May 13, 2008 Hamburg, Germany Headcrash
May 14, 2008 Berlin, Germany SO 36 Club
May 15, 2008 Schweinfurt, Germany Alter Stadtbahnhof
May 16, 2008 Luzern, Switzerland Sedel
May 17, 2008 Vevey, Switzerland Rocking Chair
May 18, 2008 Zurich, Switzerland Volkshaus

Good news for all of us who'd thought they were on the dreaded 'indefinite hiatus'!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Midget Gems posted:

I've just recently got into ska; shame on me, I know. I'm a UK goon and not only was I unable to get tickets to LTJ, I also see I've recently missed Streetlight. :smith:
Can anyone recommend me some good shows coming up in the UK (south)?

On a similar note, can someone recommend me some new bands to listen to? I've got the entire LTJ catalogue and almost all RBF. Currently downloading some Mustard Plug and Bosstones, TMT also sounded very good.

Also, Somewhere In The Between might just be the best album I have ever heard.

You should check out the Arrogant Sons Of Bitches. Really good ska-core from Long Island. Their MySpace has mostly live tracks and rarities, but there are some quality live videos on YouTube:

Rocketrocketrocketship
Sorry We Steal
So Let's Go Nowhere (actual music video)

Also, ASOB's lead singer, bassist and drummer are all at the core of Bomb the Music Industry!, who you have no excuse not to listen to. All their albums are free to download and chock full of ska, punk, synth and horns. For the uninitiated, I'd start with their latest record, 'Get Warmer' and work your way back.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

WaffleZombie posted:

The only problem is now I have my holy grail. I need a new CD to fuel my CD browsing. I found Jeffries' Fan Club's Nothing to Prove about a year ago, and I'm struggling to think of another hard to find ska CD, although the Impossibles Anthology is a possibility. Any suggestions? I'm thinking along the lines of Spring Heeled Jack, Edna's Goldfish, mid-90's ska-punk that's OOP. Or does anyone else have a CD they've never been able to find?

I found the Impossibles Anthology in my local record store for $5. Still probably the best music purchase I've ever made. But if you're trying to find another 'Holy Grail' record, start looking for 'Age of Insects' by the Skandalous All-Stars. They're a NYC ska supergroup led by Vic Ruggiero of the Slackers that play trad ska with American folk, bluegrass and country elements. The only reason that I have it is because my college's radio station has a copy.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Joseph posted:

I just discovered Common Rider.

They were good it seems. :(

Yeah, Common Rider were one of the most criminally underappreciated bands out there. You'd think that a band with that pedigree would have been huge, but they just made two amazing records and kind of faded away.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

TLG James posted:

I was listening to GNV FLA, and does anyone else find it weird that in the song, City Of Gainesville, one of the lyrics are "I may be going broke but I’m never broken down"

Considering "The Science of Selling yourself short" is exactly that.

Then again, it seems like on every single album they've had in the last few years, there is at least one song about leaving town.

A friend and I were talking about how most of LTJ's output can be described by the sentence, "Gee, I really don't like where I live."

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

Does anyone have an address for the Jeff Rosenstock Philly show tomorrow?

I have no idea what the gently caress a "Golden Tea House" is.

Best house venue in Philly. You can shoot an email to questions@guildshows.com for the address.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I had an absolutely miserable opening half of my day but then I got to see Sonic Boom Six live and felt eighteen again.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

This tour already looked amazing but the Philly date is straight up a festival

https://twitter.com/BigDBoston/status/1783139617283403874

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The Devon Kay & The Solutions ska EP is really loving good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5HCmjsPms