Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I have a feeling these might be final tracks though :ohdear:

I dunno about tracks other than Such Great Heights (as that's all I've listened to) but if you listen to the leaked S.G.H. and the preview of it on the official site, the guitar and horns sound drastically different, at least in audio quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What's been the general consensus on Permanent Revolution anyway? I liked a couple songs off it.

I also liked Dinosaur Sounds, but it seems I'm the only one who does. :(

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dickeye posted:

I'm calling it now: the next Streetlight 99SOR album (in 2037) will have a studio recording of Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint

I would go for this, if only so I don't have to watch terrible-quality youtube videos to hear the compilation.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Josh Wow posted:

It's a pretty major change in sound for them, and any time you do that you're obviously going to alienate at least some of your fans.

Pretty much this. It seems either some people generally don't like the new sound, or others hate it solely because it's different (ironically enough). Personally I love Fluent in Stroll - not every song is a hit, but a lot of them are very catchy, good dancing songs, and fun to sing along to. I forget where I read it, but I remember Big D. saying "it's not ska music, it's strolling music."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

aricoarena posted:

Are we still talking about bands we miss? (this thread got unmarked WTF with that?) Does anyone remeber STALKING ROXY? they were good, and my cd got scratched to gently caress in the back of my car. God I miss it.

I still have one song on my STILL STANDING comp. Anyone else with that comp is a friend of mine. (4 cds of ska)

Personally one of the broken up ska bands I really miss is The Know How. I loved their keyboard and technoish sound. :(

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetlight_manifesto#99_Songs_of_Revolution

quote:

99 Songs of Revolution will consist of two hundred full-length CDs by Streetlight Manifesto, and no full-length CDs by the Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution. In addition, forty other albums will be performed; two CDs each by two other Streetlight-related artists. Volume No. 1 of the new album is never to be released to the public for if it is, minds will be blown.

Which one of you did this? :colbert:

Also calling it now: One of the two unnamed bands for 99SOR will be Catch 22 WHOOPS NEVERMIND I'M TOTALLY LATE ON CALLING THIS

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 2, 2010

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
From the Hell youtube video's info:

quote:

the record, the first in a series of cover records by a few different groups, is called "99 songs of revolution". volume 1, by streetlight manifesto, comes out on march 16th, 2010.

They're all going to be cover records. Assuming it takes 2 years for each album (since it took 2 years from SITB to Vol. 1) we should hear some completely new Streetlight material in roughly eight years.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
From what I understand, 99SOR has been done for MONTHS - as in, done recording, artwork finished, COMPLETELY done - and victory has been holding it back for legal reasons.

That's probably one of the reasons they don't want them to be supported.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dickeye posted:

Aquabats update ramble thing: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=367529910652

All I can get out of this is maybe an album by the end of the year or maybe they'll break up? But who knows how serious that is because everything they say is like concentrated bits of crazy

I dunno they've joked that they're going to break up pretty often, I doubt if it were to happen they'd announce it like this anyway.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
In other news, The Know How have released 2 unreleased tracks from before they split up. Have a listen!

http://theknowhow.com/01_The_Know_How-We_Care-unreleased.mp3
http://theknowhow.com/02_The_Know_How-Let_It_Go_unreleased.mp3

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I had no idea the know how broke up :/

Yeah, was a couple years ago. They've had more than one reunion show though, almost always in Florida. Which sucks because I'm in CA, and I really liked them. They released "one more" unreleased song, if anyone's interested.

http://theknowhow.com/03_The_Know_How-Hooray_Hooray-unreleased.mp3

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Wait, why does everyone not like Red Rubber Ball? I think the song is awesome.

Of course The Troubador was my favorite song on the album so who knows.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just got back from The OC Scholars reunion show, was very badass.

Oh, and their encore song was Never Gunna Give You Up. Yeah.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dickeye posted:

I don't liek the first one, the third is OK, but the second? Best Day Ever?

Yeah. That's what I was hoping for.

The full version of Radio Down! (the first song) is up on their myspace. I was worried cus it was pretty eh - reminded me of their Yo! Check Out This Ride! EP, but Best Day Ever is very promising.

Also I'll claim Captain Squeegee and the Soap Suds. If no one has heard of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY_-pHRna0Y

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

http://www.myspace.com/theaquabats

Here's the full version of Radio Down. I like it, I mean I'll take anything from them.

It's not bad, and listening to it again it's starting to grow on me. And yeah, really anything new Aquabats is appreciated.

e: and for those of us who can't hear You By Me on Spotify, the samples are up on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/You-By-Me-Vol-1/dp/B004A2TY2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1288652312&sr=8-1

It sounds good if you're into acoustics or (like me) will slobber all over anything Kalnoky has anything at all to do with.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 2, 2010

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I love the Aquabats, but even I'll admit that most of their cds have only a handful of really good songs, and a bunch of really weird and forgettable ones that likely have never been played live ever and everyone's forgotten about. Remember The Man with Glooey Hands? Worms Make Dirt? Canis Lupus? Really Return of the Aquabats and The Fury of the Aquabats are the only two albums with nothing but gold.

Whenever I hear a new Aquabats thing, I always kind of expect most of it to be catchy but nothing special, then a few really drat good songs that they'll never stop playing live.

As for the RBF thing, I've always found their live shows really fun and am sad to see Scotty leave. I know I've heard reports from you guys of really lovely RBF shows but every one I've been to has been really drat fun and entertaining so whatever.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
^^Strong Bad and Homestar Runner also make appearances. And the Aquabats have discovered autotuners. And they still keep the ska beat for a song or two.

Josh Wow posted:

Apparently this has been released for almost a month, but nobody in our band has rockband so we didn't know:

http://www.rockband.com/songs/UGC_5004926

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFjytZ-7HPY

Wait, you're in Taj Motel Trio? Holy christ I haven't heard them (you guys?) in a long while, thanks for reminding me about them (you).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
"The Legend Is True" is basically the best song on the album holy poo poo.

e: also "I Just Can't Lose"

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 17, 2011

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So seeing the early version of Down Down Down posted the other page reminded me of some early versions of SitB songs I saw on youtube a long while back. I remember listening to these over and over in anticipation for SitB.

Early Watch it Crash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxo26cxP3yA

Early Would You be Impressed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysZcpcpWMQ

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I have seen the error of my ways, and due to all the hype from this thread have decided to look into BTMI! Which album(s) should I pick up first?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm the kinda guy that listens to one album until I'm sick of it then move on to another so I started with Scrambles since it seems to be the most recommended, and I'll likely move on to the next in a week or two. It's a bit different than what I was expecting and the singing seemed a little whiney at first, but it's definitely growing on me. Can't wait to try out the others!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Big D and the Kids Table posted a new song from their new album. It sounds like Flogging Molly?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Is there a band called Flogging Molly that isn't the irish rock? Cause this sounds nothing like the Flogging Molly I know. I really dig this song though. Can't wait for the album.

I dunno for whatever reason the song sounds like something Flogging Molly would make to me. I mean yeah it's not Irish but not all of FM's songs are either. The folkish kinda sound is what it reminded me of, I guess.

I know with their new album Big D said they want to go back to fast punk style music.

Wait, was Gypsy Hill considered their last good thing? I thought How it Goes and Strictly Rude were pretty good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Personally I think SITB is Streetlight's best album. Don't get me wrong, I loving love EGN, but I find myself skipping songs to get to my favorite songs on EGN whenever I listen to it. At one point or another, each song on SITB has been my favorite from the album. Each song is just so loving fantastic.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It was actually really fun and goofy. I really hope it does well!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Yeah I actually really enjoyed Strictly Rude. For the most part. The next two albums, not so much. I recently discovered the title track is a cover of sorts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMrNDnU6PPk

There's actually one more song on the album that isn't included in the north american cd release for whatever reason? I dunno if it's vinyl only or if it's a foreign / japanese release only or something, but it's a super chill song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKlFWLEB11c

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's finally happening.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dodecalypse posted:

It'll just be covers of their older songs.

It's called "The Hands That Thieve" because all they do is steal material for covers. :smug:

But no really, I'm super stoked. They also say they'll be playing both new and old material at all of the shows, and clips of new songs will be posted on their various social media poo poo, website, etc.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone else head to the BTMI! shows in Los Angeles and Pomona? They were tons of fun, some of the best shows I've been to - gently caress the haters who said their shows weren't a loving blast.

Talked to Jeff after the show, and asked him if the break from touring also meant they were going to stop making new music. He said, "We don't really know yet. We're just going to take a break for a while, and see how we feel after that." So it looks like 80s-50s might be the last BTMI song.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Olibu posted:

There was a time when what ended up being Somewhere In The Between was believed to never actually happen.

And Wintersun just released a new album, miracles are truly around us.

When I think of a ska miracle, I think of a BTMI! + Streetlight Manifesto split album.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Olibu posted:

For me it would have been to be able to go on the Streetlight/Aquabats tour and see the encore where the Streetlight horn section comes out and backs up the Aquabats.

There has been a grand total of one show near me from when they toured together.

I missed it cus I was so sick I could barely get out of the house. :smith:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
BTMI! is basically my favorite band ever (at least until / if the Streetlight album ever comes out), but when I first heard them I hated them. That's basically the best way I can describe them - an acquired taste.

I listened to a few songs, thought "holy poo poo this singing is awful he's practically whining/screaming gently caress this" and didn't listen to anything of their for a while. I saw this thread talking them up and gave them another shot with Scrambles. I enjoyed the usual few tracks from it (25!, Stuff That I Like) and didn't really care much for the rest. I kept listening to it though, and started to like the other songs. Then I started to love all of the songs as I listened to them more and more. Decided to try out Get Warmer and thought "man, none of these songs are really THAT good - some are okay." Cue me listening through it a few times and falling in love with it. Repeat for basically every one of their albums, except Vacation which I pretty much loved immediately.

For whatever reason, Jeff's stuff sounds pretty average to me when I first listen to it, then once I listen to it a few times I loving fall in love with it. A big part of it, to me, is definitely the lyrics. I can relate to a lot of the stuff he sings about - form learning to grow up, to losing loved ones, to hating your job, to trying to find your place in the world.

I went to the BTMI show in Los Angeles earlier in August, at the All Different Colors venue, and it was probably the greatest concert I've ever been to. It was extraordinarily small, the room was as packed full of people as it could possibly be, and the energy of the room just swept everyone up and it was unlike any other show I'd ever been to, even if it was basically just in a closet.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So right now we're at the announcement for the announcement of the announcement of the release date of the album, correct?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not sure when they were posted? But there's two new shows added to BTMI's site, one in LA and one in San Fran.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 10, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Streetlight made the official announcement of April 30th on their website, along with another new music clip: https://soundcloud.com/pentimentomusic/003-1

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Still doesn't beat the fact that during their last show in Los Angeles, BTMI worked in a cover of Let the Bodies Hit the Floor.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

hito posted:

Man, those all sound awesome, but I was really thinking Grandpa would be on this CD. :(

Is there any kind of recording of this somewhere? All I've heard was a Toh Kay clip on youtube of him transitioning from part of Grandpa to Somewhere in the Between, and it sounded like a really great song and I'd like to hear more.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Toh Kay knew we were talking about something other than streetlight, so he gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy-bEXUA6u0

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Hahahaha holy poo poo wow yeah, gently caress you victory. Don't know how long it'll be up, but you can still listen to / download the song from Toh Kay's facebook bandpage tab: https://www.facebook.com/TohKay/app_178091127385 Get it while you can, folks. Hopefully that fantastic music video will be up again soon.

e: I took some stills from the video to make some desktop wallpapers. If anyone's interested:

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
More than a few of the songs have been uploaded to youtube. Dunno how long they'll stay up for, but I'm sure more will replace them soon enough.

At any rate, right now They Broke Him Down is pretty easily my favorite - it's a great song on its own, but it almost feels like the goddamn climax of the album, and everything after is almost just the aftermath of that goddamn song. Although, I really love Toe to Toe more than I thought I would, and Your Day Will Come is seriously growing on me. I don't know if I've ever been this excited to keep listening to an album over and over and over again. I've easily listened to it 10-12 times by now, and IT JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER.

e: Oh my god I just remembered there's an entire Toh Kay version of this coming out too YESSSSS

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 20, 2013