Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

So uh... anyone got a copy of Suburban Rhythm like I do?

I did but I lost the drat thing, it was good to :(

I am sad that ska has kind of died out in the past several years. In the late 90's there were some really great ska bands, but it's just sorta dried up, and now people just seem to make fun of people who still like ska. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wouldn't say that it's died out, it's just different. Right now there's a big retro-traditionalist ska sound rising up. Just listen to the Pressure Drop Soundcast, they're playing new music all the time.

If the only style you can listen to is third wave, there's still plenty of bands out there. You just have to go out there and find out. Scour MySpace, check record labels like Megalith, Stomp/Union. Check Interpunk. I'll just throw two out there right now: The JB Conspiracy and No Torso. JB Conspiracy has somewhat interesting compositions, and a crisp staccato Aquabats-style horn section. No Torso is pretty much the definition of "third wave".

Some other bands I don't think I've heard mentioned here before: Babylove and the Van Dangos is an exciting trad band on the rise from Denmark with some pretty drat good hooks, and The Busters, who are Germany's answer to the Toasters and just put out a new album last month that is a callback to the style of their older albums. Just google any of these bands because I'm pretty sure all of them have MySpaces at this point.

It's not so much that I don't like new styles, I am not stuck on third wave, I just never hear of any new bands. The only two ska albums that came out this year that I can think of are Mad Caddies (Which was great) and Reel Big Fish (Which isn't really ska, but it was still a great album, I love RBF)

I have heard of Babylove & the Van Dangos, I had an Mp3 of Rude Boy that I got off their website, but I must have deleted it and never checked back to see if they had release an album yet. When I had download the Mp3 they hadn't released anything yet, if I recall correctly.

I am just sad when I think of some of the bands that I loving loved, that died out. Spring Heeld Jack, Jeffries Fan Club, The Hippos, Edna's Goldfish (Who's lead singer looks like Jarred from the Subway commercials), and others that I am forgetting about.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

TLG James posted:

Didn't Streetlight Manifesto's album come out this year, and the new bosstone's album?

I forgot about the Streetlight Manifesto album, that one is pretty good. I am not a big fan of the Bosstones though.

TLG James posted:

I'm sad that in high school, I missed the chance to see the Hippos because it was like on a Tuesday night or something. I said, Oh they'll be back! :(

I missed Reel Big Fish and one of the last Five Iron Frenzy concerts because I just couldn't make them, god drat do I wish I had tried harder to free up the time to go.

Oh well at least I got to see Homegrown & RX Bandits play together in this lovely little venue downtown which was cool, even if they aren't really ska. :unsmith:

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

lessthankyle posted:

The thing I'm curious about is why you don't consider Reel Big Fish (or maybe just their latest album) to not be ska. I'm not saying it's incorrect or anything, I'm just curious why you feel that way.

It's not that they aren't ska, just less ska then they used to be, now it's more kinda rock with horns and shying away from the the fast paced ska guitar rifts. Like I said I still love the gently caress out of them, and they will always remain the band that got me in to ska music.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

How does infusing rock elements make a band less ska, but not punk? I must be missing a page or two in my hipster handbook.

I don't know what you're talking with all of this hipster handbook poo poo, I didn't say anything about punk elements.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Five Iron Frenzy really needs to do a reunion tour. I never got to see them live either.

They just released some new shirts, so maybe there's hope.

Oh god I wish they would, I loved those guys so much. I always got a lot of "lol christian band" poo poo for liking them, but they had genuinely good songs, and every album was fun, and you could tell they liked making music. I missed a concert from their farewell tour and I couldn't go, and to this day I am saddened that I couldn't make it.

To me, I care more about how well composed and executed the music is, than how 'ska' it is (like it's a unit of measurement). I kind of prefer that bands try and go out and do their own thing and create their own niche. When bands conform to the standards, like the Planet Smashers and the Toasters, their music can kind of wear out on you after a few albums because it's almost too mechanical and ordinary. And I like those bands too. But I'm all for variety and experimentation.

I am all for songs being well written, having good musical arrangements, all of that jazz, and I know that as bands mature their sound is going to change. For me though it's a bummer sometimes when a band goes from straight ska, because for me, that is what I love. I still love Reel Big Fish, and I always will, just as there are other bands I liked that I still liked even though they completely ditched the ska scene (I am looking at you The Hippos :colbert: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

They're like the spanish bosstones.

Only better.

(yes i'm the only person in this thread that does not like the bosstones)

I don't like them either, and I think Dickie Barrett is a dick. :colbert: (No pun intended)