Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Misc posted:

original guitarist kendall jones was probably the most important songwriter in the group who left the band after give a monkey a brain, which is probably their last good album

their drummer also left after that album and he'd been really contributing to the songwriting at the time well. he's back in the band currently, though.

Unfortunately (for us anyway), Philip "Fish" Fisher left the band again a couple of years ago. For my money he's the best drummer in ska-punk, and one of my favorite drummers, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Fishbone is releasing a new EP later this month.

New song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JoBMl2s260

I'm not detecting much ska influence, but the band had drifted away from that sound in their later years anyway.

They haven't put anything new out in about nine years, so I'm excited either way!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Oh wow, somehow I missed that one. I like it!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Regatta 69, Fishbone, and the Aquabats! (!)

The latter two are still together, although neither is purely ska anymore (one could say Fishbone never was).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

aricoarena posted:

The mainstream popularity certainly was fad that came and went. They talk about it in "Pick it Up! Ska in the 90s" which is free on tubi, and no one has an explanation for the sudden exposition in popularity or fall off. I don't know if ska kept thriving anywhere, it definitely never went away. Some of the bigger bands kept putting out albums and newer once were just starting. I was probably going to the most ska shows from 2002 to 2010.

Ska never went away, but it definitely hasn't been thriving in the last ~25 years.

Everyone in the mid-90's was looking for the next big post-grunge thing.

Ska and the swing revival briefly had moments in the spotlight, but they proved too niche for radio, so we ended up with pop-punk instead. Enjoy your Jimmy Eat World and Blink-182 and all their sound-alikes.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just got tickets to see Primus this summer, which is not remotely ska. However, Fishbone is opening for them!

I've never had a chance to see Fishbone play live, but I've heard others say they're one of the best live bands ever, and they still play a lot of their early ska stuff on stage.

Super excited to see both bands.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Primus is fantastic live if you're into them and even if not they're a very entertaining experience!

Oh, I love Primus; they're just not as good a fit for this particular thread. I've never seen them live, though judging by the South Park concert they did on Paramount+ last year, it's gonna be great.

I'll admit I'm not remotely up on modern ska. Most of the bands I was into in the 90's and early 2000's aren't around anymore.

No Doubt played at Coachella last weekend (maybe this coming weekend too?). I figured they'd lean hard into their pop/rock radio singles, and they kinda did, but they did a ton of their ska songs too. They sounded absolutely amazing, which was a huge disconnect from my expectations before tuning in.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

interpunct posted:

Getting paid stupid money to play two shows, they could have totally phoned in their performance but No Doubt's set was easily one of the best of the sets that I watched online last weekend. Looking forward to watching their set on Saturday if Coachella streams it on YT again. Probably going to go all in on the SoCal ska-adjacent bands and watch the sets by Sublime and The Aquabats as well if they're made available.

I believe Coachella is streaming on YouTube again this weekend.

Ska and ska-adjacent stuff:
- The Aquabats - Saturday @3:55pm Pacific (Sonora stage)
- Sublime - Saturday @ 6:05pm Pacific (Coachella stage)
- No Doubt - Saturday @ 9:55pm Pacific (Coachella stage)

Vampire Weekend (which has a little ska flavor in a couple of their songs, I guess?) played last weekend but currently isn't on the schedule for this coming weekend.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

interpunct posted:

On YouTube, the Sonora stage channel is being replaced by the Yuma stage. No Aquabats stream this weekend. :(

That's a bummer. Sonora was my favorite stage last weekend.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I just saw that Norwood Fisher has left or got kicked out of Fishbone, which to me is huge. I mean the Fisher brothers are where they got their name from. Not sure what’s going on, but it’s really disappointing.

Oh, that sucks. Only two members of the original lineup are left.

Wikipedia article update:

quote:

On April 25th, 2024, Fishbone put out a vague posting on Facebook, indicating a major lineup change for their upcoming live dates. After the magazine "Q" reached out to their management, it was revealed by founding member Christopher Dowd, that founding members Norwood Fisher and "Dirty" Walt Kibby had left the band. Dowd and Angelo Moore would continue to perform, with new musicians to be announced, as Fishbone.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I just saw that Norwood Fisher has left or got kicked out of Fishbone, which to me is huge. I mean the Fisher brothers are where they got their name from. Not sure what’s going on, but it’s really disappointing.

Q magazine interviewed Christopher Dowd about the Fishbone changes. It's a good read. I know there are two sides to every story, but it doesn't make Norwood sound great.

https://qthemusic.com/p/fishbone-lineup-without-norwood-fisher-and-dirty-walt-kibby/

Maybe they can talk Philip Fisher into coming back so there's still a Fisher in Fishbone.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Fishbone's style shifted a lot through the decades. A lot of their songs are Ska-inspired, but I feel their best album is The Reality of My Surroundings, which is straight early-90's alt-rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
And the saga of Fishbone (ex-Fishbone) continues.

Norwood Fisher and "Dirty" Walter Kibby appear to be moving on as/with The Familyhood Nextsperience. They just released a new single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwttC7JxqVQ

It's sort of dub-reggae with horns and a ska beat.