Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
BTMI is having a record release party this Friday at the John Bosch house in Brooklyn. If you can make it, definitely try, it's a great freaking place to see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
BTMI was pretty loving incredible last night. They played right through the whole Scrambles album. Ending the night around 12:30 with "Sort of Like Being Pumped" was a fairly religious experience. Something about BTMI and the John Bosch house was meant to be.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I'm digging the music, and it's nice to know you're close to Brooklyn. If I'm back in time from my road trip on the 18th, I'll try to make your show.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Mike_V posted:

Sick. They're all looking relatively good too. It's too bad Jerry Dammers isn't with them, though.

Also a nice summary of this thread is everyone ignoring that video.

Don't know about ignoring it. I love watching ska videos on youtube, and that was the best of the bunch posted, it's great to see them still putting on a fantastic show.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Thornes posted:

I'm considering seeing a show with the following bands: "mustard plug, eastern standard time, void union, we are the union, royal city riot and hub city stompers"

Of them I only know Mustard Plug and Hub City Stompers. What can you guys tell me about the others?

EST is pretty traditional sounding, and Royal City Riot are Slackerish. We Are The Union are fairly hardcore. A pretty diverse crowd it looks like. All are great to dance to, though, in their own way.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I'd really like to. There's a Sunday May 31st show on LI I want to see as well, it's The FAD's reunion show with BTMI!, so it's gonna be a great time. I'm in the middle of a poo poo-storm living situation, so I'll probably have to choose one or the other.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Obama Yo Mama posted:

BTMI on Long Island? Where and how much, I want to go :(

http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.showDetails&friendid=1229716&Band_Show_ID=38545562

That's the show info, it's in West Babylon, NY. I'm probably going to try to take a train out there for it, it should be an awesome show.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
http://www.punknews.org/article/33597

The English Beat, Reel Big Fish, and The Supervillains. This is going to be an interesting tour.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Mike_V posted:

i bet more people recognize their singer than the band :\

I'd like to imagine there are more people who like ska than Becker. Hopefully.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

interpunct posted:

I would venture to guess that people would be more apt to recognize him from PCU.

Did I just out my own viewership of Becker, then?

On topic: Just got the tour dates for A Billion Ernies, Fatter Than Albert, and Stuck Lucky. I'm definitely looking forward to this:

COMMUNITY RECORDS SUMMER TOUR
A BILLION ERNIES, STUCK LUCKY, and FATTER THAN ALBERT

1 July We. New Orleans, LA @ The High Ground
2 July Th. Birmingham, AL @ Green Cup Books
3 July Fr. Nashville, TN @ The Muse
4 July Sa. Indianapolis, IN @ Moria
5 July Su. Minooka, IL @ House Show - 722 Joanne dr.
6 July Mo. Grand Rapids, MI or Lansing, MI TBA
7 July Tu. Detroit, MI @ AJ's
8 July We. Cleveland, OH or Toronto, @ TBA
9 July Th. Syracuse, NY @Funkin' Waffles
10 July Fr. North Brunswick, NJ @ N. Brunswick Amer. Legion w/ TFT
11 July Sa. Wakefield, MA @Disaster Fest Wakefield Unitarian Church
12 July Su. Providence, RI @ Club Hell
13 July Mo. Brooklyn, NY @ Europa
(FTA IS NOT ON JULY 14th - 18th)
14 July Tu. Albany, NY @ Valentines 18+
15 July We. Haverhill, Mass @ Anchor's Up
16 July Th. Connecticut @ Wallingford American Legion
17 July Fr. Philadelphia, PA @ TBA
18 July Sa. Richmond, VA @ Gallery 5 - ABE NOT on this show

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Flogging Molly with...Hepcat?

There are some interesting pairings going on lately.

http://www.punknews.org/article/33996

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Obama Yo Mama posted:

God drat it that's awesome

e: Anybody know off hand the next time they're going to be on Long Island/near NYC because this time I am definitely going to see them I don't care what I have to do.

Asbury Lanes in NJ this Thursday @ 8pm. I'm going to see if I can make it out.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I really wanted to see this show, but wasn't about to fork over 70 bucks for two tickets bought online. You can always buy at the door, but without knowing for sure I'll get in, I don't think I can tear myself away from the Del Close Improv Marathon this weekend.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
In case anyone hasn't seen it, Quote UnQuote Records is having their Maximum Summer release fest this week. They are releasing a new album every weekday until Labor day.

http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 2, 2009

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
While not ska, Attica! Attica! is playing a show this Sunday in Brooklyn with Bomb The Music Industry!, so it's guaranteed to be a fantastic show.

And speaking of BTMI!, I found this video of ASOB on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTNHGbETUKo

It's a full-length show from back in 2004 and it's in pretty good quality. A great way to kill an hour.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

http://fifdvd.com/

:shobon:

That's an awesomely epic announcement.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Dickeye posted:

Alright so this afternoon/tonight I'm going to be uploading some more "local" music (as in from Syracuse), this time it's Razbari Sumthing. They really don't mind since they're broken up now and I want more people that aren't from Syracuse to hear them

Basically what I'm saying is post if you want some rad tunes, or IM me tonight, or something

Definitely. I get sad when I see all the good Syracuse shows and I'm no longer in the area.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
poo poo, that's enough to consider picking up a sax. I have a trumpet I bought years ago but realized I couldn't play.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Seeing that makes me love Jimmy Kimmel for having Dicky around.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Dickeye posted:

oh my god he's playing charlotte on the 18th if i didn't have to work i would be there so fast

I would kill to hear Unlimited Breadsticks Soup and Salad Days live. I Don't Love You Anymore, too, but only with an actual band.

I Don't Love You Anymore is as great live as you'd expect. Mike Costa kills it on the drums. I love the ipod shows just as much as the full band shows, so I can't wait for him to end up back in Brooklyn.

Scrambles is one of my favorite albums, but I didn't fully appreciate it until I saw them play the whole thing at a release party, then it just clicked.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I wonder how long before we can get a brass section add-on for Rock Band.

And in other, stomach-churning news: http://www.abeano.com/blog/new-vampire-weekend-ruby-soho-rancid-cover-and-minimix
Vampire Weekend recorded a cover of "Ruby SoHo". I've only heard a few VW songs, but this is just bad.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Bomb the Music Industry! just dropped an EP today. Haven't gotten a chance to listen through, but I'll go ahead and say it's going to be great.

http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/qur038.htm

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
On the other hand, the ipod shows are usually a good deal smaller (at least in NYC, but that could just be because they aren't as well publicized and/or last minute), plus there a good chance for acoustic requests.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Sugar Blaster posted:

If this were something they put together over a long weekend it'd be awesome, but a lot of us have been waiting the better part of a decade for this stuff. And when Jeff + company can record Adults in five days, these covers are inexcusable.

So far I haven't been in love with the songs, either. They're good, but that's just because the band is good. They are all great at playing the instruments they play, so a cover song will sound fine. But Tomas et al. have a knack for creating and playing such wonderfully orchestrated music that it feels off to hear them do these covers. I'm sure when it's fully released I'll have some time to go through it and I'll warm up to them, but I don't think they are playing to their strengths.

Having BTMI! just drop this EP is a timely reminder of how different their approaches are, but they still are two of my favorite bands.

Edit: Tickets are on sale for Spring Heeled Jack on https://www.etix.com. Snagged two of them.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 12, 2010

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Gee guys that's a lot of backlash for saying I like a band.

This is the ska thread, we have a lot of that building up inside us.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Anyone in the NYC area, this is probably of interest: High School Football Heroes are reuniting for another show.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=320841162169&ref=ts

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
The High School Football Heroes reunion show just sent out an update:

quote:

Hello Everyone!

Just a quick update, we're gonna have presale tickest on sale this friday at 10:00 am at http://eastcoastcollectiveli.bigcartel.com

also, the opening bands are going to be Terence Marciano Band, Hardcore Karaoke Pile-on Extravaganza, Sonic Boom Six, The Forthrights, Los Bungalitos, Barnaby Jones, Royal City Riot + 2 more TBA!

- Sam Gursky

Looks like it's going to be a pretty fun show.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
This just means they are one step closer to working with Quote Unquote...

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Z.S. Ghost posted:

BTMI Releases: 2005, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2007, 2009, 2009, 2010 (8)
Kalnoky Releases: 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2010 (7)

I didn't count BTMI vinyl-only stuff or Kalnoky stuff that's only available on cassette. I would kill for Streetlight/BOTAR to have a BTMI release schedule.

I'd kill for a split like the Laura Stevenson/BTMI one. Cover each other's songs.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Dickeye posted:

gently caress it I'm not editing that again. If you go to the P+P site they have a couple packages of the new WATU album. Vinyl + CD for $12, the same with a t-shirt for $22, and all three LP colors plus a CD for $30, and all of those come with a free download of Who We Are if you didn't get it when it was still on community records

The songs they've posted over the past few days have been great. WATU always brings a ton of energy to their stuff, I'm impressed how these songs keep it going full steam.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Josh Wow posted:

East Coast Collective Presents
Friday, April 23rd 2010

Royal City Riot
The Best of the Worst
Taj Motel Trio (on tour from Georgia)
Barnaby Jones
Nix86

Bushwick Music Studios
55 Waterbury Street
Brooklyn, NY

7:30pm Doors
$7

Get Stoked!

Wow, I'm very much there.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

rum sodomy the lash posted:

So I went to a friends place who was giving away some of his albums, and picked up the Specials self titled album because I saw it was produced by Elvis Costello. I honestly don't know poo poo about ska, this is ska right? I really like it, reminds me a lot of a ... happier Clash?

You could categorize a lot of ska as a "happier [band name]," even the Flaming Tsunamis.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

I'm gonna go with this.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Dickeye posted:

Losing Streak owns, yes, but Hello Rockview is amazing

Like I said earlier though, part of that is because Scott Farcas was Babby's First Ska Song and it was the end of senior year and that song and Al's War were my anthem for the last few months of it, and part of that is because it just really is an awesome album

Agreeing with this. "Nervous In The Alley" was one of the first songs I learned to play on the drums, that album will always hold a special place in my heart.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

interpunct posted:

Just in case no one knew about it, The Specials will be performing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight.

Bonus on-set rehearsal photo courtesy of Twitter: http://twitpic.com/1fclxt

EDIT:

Unaired performance of Little Bitch is online -

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/exclusive-online-performance-the-specials-41310/1218678/

This was great. I had to suffer through an hour of Kelly Ripa and Eric Stonestreet, but it was worth it to see them and the bonus video.

I'm gonna try to rally for the show on the 20th, are other people going?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Terry Hall isn't really known for his diverse range of facial expressions.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

interpunct posted:

Dude also suffers from bipolar disorder and attempted suicide a few years back. It's nice to see that most of the band is as exuberant as they were 30 years ago, though. They were a really energetic live band back then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP-0MIs_Jjk

It's always been kinda neat to watch their videos and see them dancing around while he normally remains pretty calm.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Wooo! Even though they started an hour and a half later than scheduled, it was still a fantastic show. Having never seen them before (the last time they even played here was when I was 4), I don't have anything to compare it to, but they were pretty much just as I expected: awesome.

Looking forward to TMT on friday.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
That'd be nice to see happen. I missed the benefit show and mini-tour they did back in the summer/fall of '09. I already has to pass up on Spring Heeled Jack and High School Football Heroes, so having adding one successful reunion show to my list this year would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Dickeye posted:

If he does, I'll let you know. Are you in upstate NY?

I'm in Brooklyn, but I can get upstate fairly easily.