Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

It's late and I'm tired, but tomorrow, I'll try to write up snippets for my favorite albums so far this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

lessthankyle posted:

I haven't been to a philly show in a while, but what happened to SGR? They were one of my absolute favorites, but suddenly dropped off after their lastest record release.

I'm pretty they were on hiatus. I know they played a re-union type show in Trenton not too long ago.

The philly scene seems to be picking up some steam, mostly thanks to phillyska.com. My current favorite local band is Last Martyrs of A Lost Cause. Before them, it was The Specs. Their last album, The Declaration of Independence EP is phenomenal. It's more of a heavy rock with horns sound, which is something I absolutely love, and need more of.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Okay, I haven't gotten around to writing reviews yet, but there's too much to comment on:

The Hub City Stompers are still around. I saw part of their set at Warped Tour in NJ, not too bad. I don't really know Bomb Town, but I seem to recall hearing they broke up.

I tried listening to Folly's last album. I'll give pretty much any band that incorporates horns a far listen. The album was just a little too hardcore for my tastes. The furthest towards hardcore I'm willing to venture seems to be the Flaming Tsunamis.

Yum! Yum! Orange/Japanese bands - God I love Yum!, but they're a guilty pleasure. I'll sing/mumble along to Sunny Sunday at the top of my lungs in a ridiculous falsetto, but they sound just so sugary sweet, that it's embarrassing. I love the upbeatness of Japanese bands, but I can only handle so much. The only Japanese band I've heard that was harder sounding was Miami Bazooka Head, but I lost their stuff in a hd crash :(

Female singers: I wish I had gotten to see Too Short Notice. But everyone should check out Stalking Roxy. They only put out one real album, on Jump Start, but it's great. Generally uptempo, but not very poppy. I'm struggling to find a comparison, but it's really loving good.

NYSJE: I liked their first 4 albums or so, but haven't listened to them much lately. How many albums have they had since?

PA ska: The best Philly area ska/punk band is Last Martyrs of A Lost Cause. I think some band that just played a phillyska show was from the poconos, but I don't know. I went to school at Penn State, and we got a decent amount of ska shows coming into town, but after my sophomore year, there weren't really any local bands.

Skanking: Early on, I accepted that everyone looks like idiots doing it. Just try to mimic everyone else and have fun. Until you get too old, and you have trouble doing it for more than 3 songs a night. Also, NEVER try to skank to the entirety of LAX in 90 degree heat on the Warped Tour. Took me an hour to recover. Somewhat unrelated, but they skank differently in France. I was there for an internship, and managed to go to a couple of shows, and felt like the odd man out. Their skanking is more like running in place. It works surprisingly well when you're hemmed in on all sides but still want to dance.

Freefall Felix: The EP they put out this year is fantastic, especially that first song. But I wouldn't say they sound much like the new Rx Bandits, unless maybe you think the last Bandits album was Progress or maybe The Resignation.

Streetlight: I'm going on Friday (and Sunday if I don't have to leave for a business trip), and buying the poo poo out of the album and that shirt, that is amazing.

Big D and Boston: I have something to copy out of a journal/suppossed to be blog about this. But it's on my work computer, so hopefully I can post that tomorrow with some album reviews.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Messyass posted:

Also, does anybody know if Ska-P is dead or not? I'd love to see them live.

Last I checked, they were, but maybe it's a hiatus. But check out The Locos. It's the lead singer and maybe another 2 members from Ska-P. The album they put out last year is pretty good. Maybe a little punker sounding than Ska-P.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Carl with a K posted:

I was at the Starland Ballroom show on the 9th, awesome stuff. The trumpet player from Suburban Legends got me their old cds when I bought the new one, and him and the lead singer signed the inside of their self titled after he got them to me. Getting the new Streetlight cd with the signed poster early was incredible too.

Oh christ was that a mob scene after the show. I think they eventually ran out before I got to the front. I just gave up and bought a Stitch Up cd. And I got the set list off the sound board, so I'll equate that with the signed poster. Also, not that I really know sound boards, but it looked like they were recording the show. I also loved how a good 3/4 of the crowd new every lyric for every new song. The set list for the show at Starland:

We Will Fall
Failing, Flailing
Mephisto's Cafe
Everything Goes Numb
A Better Place, A Better Time (written on the list as Annie)
40 Days
Point/Keasby Nights/Counterpoint
Wonderful Life
They Provide
Watch It Crash
That'll Be The Day
Somewhere In The Between
Big Sleep
Impressed
Here's To Life

The show on Sunday in Philly was about 10 minutes shorter. I think they just cut out 40 days and Impressed, but I could be mistaken. I just can't believe that they didn't play Receiving End Of It All.

I missed the Stitch Up the first night, but seeing them the second, I really liked 'em. That "funny singer" as someone mentioned earlier is Dan Potthast of MU330 (semi)fame. Aside from playing stuff off the new album, they threw in Raw and La.

Suburban Legends new album sucks horribly, but they still usually put on a good show. The set both nights was pretty much 2 Rump Shaker songs/2 Dance Like Nobody's Watching songs/2 new songs/1 Disney cover. I think the NJ show was (in no order) High Fives & Last Dance (which was nice to hear)/Come Back Home & This DJ/2 new songs/Gummi Bears. I liked the Philly show a bit more as they swapped in Bright Spring Morning for Last Dance and Under The Sea for Gummi Bears. And then they got their poo poo stolen. Whoops.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Thornes posted:

Yeah the "funny singer" comment was mine. Still mostly knew to Ska so I don't really know my stuff but I do know I enjoy it! I still need to check out MU330

I'm sorry if I came off as sounding snarky. I just really like MU330, and I always forgot that they're not as popular as I think they are. If you're looking for an album to start with, try their self-titled first. I think Mike Park describes it as "weezer ska", which is just as good a description as any. Also, their Christmas album is on sale for $5 at asianmanrecords.com as it is every Christmas. It's fantastic fun,if a little short.

HamsterHuey posted:

Anyone else listen to Dan Potthast's (of MU330) solo work? It's not ska at all, but I figure this is as appropriate thread as any. Sweets & Meats is a really excellent album and Potthast is a killer songwriter.

I absolutely love Eyeballs, but I've never really listened to Sweets much. Earlier this year, he put out a self released demo of solo stuff called Eat The Planet. Basically, he locked himself in a room for a week, and forced himself out of writer's block. It might have resulted in a song about a shelf and another about a fan, but they're pretty good. I finally got to see him solo in Philly this past year, and it was a great time.

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Orlando show was changed to The Social. Quite excited about that, probably my favorite small venue I've been to.

I am so jealous. The Social is such a fantastic venue, but I think I've told you that before.

Wizard Mannequin posted:

What was everyones first ska show? Mine was SGR(who I hate), Ruder Than You(who were incredible) and the Slackers, back when I was in like 9th grade. I'm really glad my first ska show was more trad/reggae oriented, and definately helped me get into that stuff.

I'm pretty sure my first was my friend's high school ska band, The Berserk Postal Clerks. Then I saw Hepcat show at the Trocadero and a MU330/Mustard Plug show at the First Unitarian Church in early '99. I saw Mustard Plug play there again recently, maybe late last year, and they actually brought the show up. Sadly, I was only one of maybe two or three people there to have attended both shows. At least I wasn't the only one.

mrfancycrackers posted:

Shot by Lammi- very raw, clearly self-recorded... some good songs on it, though. Mostly 3rd wavey with a bit of jazz influence

Good Luck- great album- 3rd wave pop punk kinda, Dave's vocals are very shouty. I would start with this one.

Gipsy Hill- A lot punkier and heavier. Get this one second, Checklist is probably their best song

How It Goes- overly long and lots of weird tracks. Some good stuff, though. I'm not really a fan of it.

Salem Girls- stupid

Strictly Rude- overrated and Alternative Press is jocking them hard now, so this one gets hyped a lot. It's really not what Big D is good at and it's kinda lame. I actually liked the From Beijing to Boston split they did with Brain Faliure better than this.

My opinions differ a little bit.
Shot By Lammi - Eh, a bit generic third-wave, but I've only really listened like twice.

Good Luck - I'll agree, this is where you should start. Very solid, start to finish, with my favorite song Can't Be Caught.

Gypsy Hill - What he said. But I still like Can't Be Caught more.

How It Goes - I've always thought that this is an okay album, but very long. If they could have trimmed it to 45 minutes, it would have been fantastic. I need to actually try to do that one of these days. It generally alternates between slower and faster songs, but bogs down at the end with like 4 slow songs in a row that just kill any momentum the album had. But I do love L.A.X.

Salem Girls - I wouldn't say stupid, but a bit of an indulgence of their dub fetish.

From Beijing To Boston - Think of this as the Gypsy Hill EP to Strictly Rude, much more punk stuff. Not too bad.

Strictly Rude - It doesn't suck, but I wouldn't exactly call it awesome. Overall, it's a fairly mellow album. I think it starts and ends well, but I usually skip a good 4-5 songs in the middle every time I listen. But drat, I love Shining On.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Yeah, this is a late response.

I think you were the one that was there for the LTJ Florida shows? Well the SM show didn't beat those (those were the top 2 best shows I've ever been to) but it was still pretty good. It wasn't too crowded, but I couldn't hear Tomas from where I was.

SM won't play Receiving End on this tour :( Tomas said something about it "being too hard for him to sing."

Also someone IMed me about going to a SM show, but I was AFK and never got back to them. Sorry to whomever that was.

Yeah, it's late, but I think I posted after the show happened anyway. But yeah, I was at those LTJ shows. And I really think it will be hard to ever top those. They were definitely better than the Tampa shows, and I really don't see how they'll be topped. Well, maybe RBF could play WDTRSH straight through... Unfortunately, it doesn't look like business is going to be taking me to Florida anytime soon, so who knows if/when I'll get to the Social again.

It's really a pity they are playing Receiving, especially since the liner notes to the album mention how much the band can't wait to play it live, it'll be so much fun.

Unrelated to Florida, but at the Starland show in NJ, while in the mass of people, after the show trying to buy the album, I saw some had awesome (okay, didn't know that smiley was changed) as the wallpaper on their phone. Was that someone in here?

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

It's a been a while, so I got some catching up to do...

To the guy who requested MU330 recommendations (maybe 2 pages ago), start with the self-titled and Chumps on Parade.

To Josh Wow...Looks like someone's moving up in the ska world. Weren't you originally in Maladroit Mafia? Actually, that's a rhetorical question, I remember buying the cd from you. I've never listened to Taj Motel Trio before, but that live stream is sounding fantastic. I should be able to make it to your show in Philly on March 15th. I'll buy the album then.

To international ska...The internet is a glorious thing. That and living in France for a summer. Most of western Europe seems to have a ska scene. From Spain you've got Ska-P and Obrint Pas, France has La Ruda Salska, Marcel Et Son Orchestre, and Babylon Circus, Norway's got Hopalong Knut, and Germany's got No Authority and P.O. Box. And there's countless others. For the past 3 years, I've put together a best of the year mix, and this years mix covered 5 continents. I mean, even South Africa has a scene (Fuzigish) for heaven's sake.

I'll just shut up now, but if anyone wants detailed album recommendations, let me know.

Edit: Oh, right, LTJ. I can't wait for some of those reissues. The video from Pezcore has video from the album show in St. Petersburg, not sure if there was anything from London. So now I can own three different copies of the same album. Not to mention the 4 extra sealed copies I have because Mike Park threw a copy in with every order for awhile.

Oh, and the Streetlight show in Philly is actually on May 2. They're a great band, but they can't be in two places at the same time. And you can go to their site to preorder tickets.

WaffleZombie fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 15, 2008

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

First let me second Stalking Roxy. They only released one full length, but it's fantastic. It's a heavier ska/punk I guess, and it's on Jump Up! Records.

Yeah, the Philly show should be great. I've seen the Last Martyrs twice now, and they put on a damned good show. It'll be good to see them headline. They're easily the highlight of the Philly ska scene. Unrelated, but I wore their t-shirt on a flight a couple of months ago. Halfway through security, I noticed I was getting eyed up by a lot of TSA people. And I realized that wearing a shirt that simply says "Last Martyrs of A Lost Cause" on an airplane probably isn't the best of ideas. Thankfully I only got eyeballed, and not strip searched.

Josh, if you don't mind my asking, how did you get into Taj? I've always wondering how established bands recruit new members. Did they know you from playing a show together? Did you have to audition? How difficult is it fitting into a band that's been around for so long? If you don't want to answer any of those questions, I understand. I've just always wondered about that, but I guess I've never really had someone to ask.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

drat that was long. Short answer: I had an audition then took an opportunity for some shows when it arose that paid off. It wasn't difficult at all to fit in and I really got along with the guys in the band.

Yeah, it might have been long, but it was a great read, and I really appreciate you indulging me. It's really cool that things worked out like that for you. Congrats.

In other tour-related news, Sonic Boom Six is crossing the pond to play some dates with The Flaming Tsunamis.

quote:

Sonic Boom Six, an amazing punk/ska/dub/hip-hop/reggae band from the UK, (just off European tours with bands such as The Aquabats, Reel Big Fish, and Streetlight Manifesto) will be coming over to do a short 2 week tour in the US in support of the US release of their Album - Ruff Guide to Genre Terrorism, on Asbestos Records!

Joining them on the majority of the dates will be east coast ska-core giants The Flaming Tsunamis .

Be sure to pick up Ruff Guide to Genre Terrorism on CD or 2xLP!
(http://www.asbestosrecords.com)

Check em out on myspace (http://www.myspace.com/sonicboomsix) or on the tour!

March 27th @ Asbury Lanes - Asbury Park NJ w/ TFT
March 28th @ Brandeis Univ - Waltham Mass w/ TFT
March 29th @ Midway Cafe - Boston Mass w/ TFT - ALL AGES - 4pm
March 29th @ Midway Cafe - Boston Mass w/ TFT- 18+ -9pm
March 30th @ Funkin' Waffles - Syracuse NY
March 31st @ Michalina's Club - Buffalo NY
April 1st - TBA
April 2nd - TBA
April 3rd - Philadelphia PA - Venue TBA w/ TFT
April 4th @ Wallingford Amleg - Wallingford CT w/ TFT
April 5th @ Knitting Factory ***Version City Party!*** w/ TFT & Bombtown

Of course, it now looks like the Philly show won't happen, as Phillyska doesn't think they can properly host a show with a mostly unknown headliner on a Thursday. So I guess I'll be going up to Asbury or hoping for some closer dates on those TBAs.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Kerk posted:

I recently started collecting vinyl and was wondering where I could find some Reel Big Fish and or Chinkees(not sure if these exist) records. I've heard the vinyl version of "In the Pit" and its amazing. Any leads to these would be grateful. Also if you haven't listened to The Chinkees yet, I highly recommend doing so!

I can answer the Chinkees very easily:
Peace Through Music:
http://asianmanrecords.com/basket/12vinyl.html
Karaoke With:
http://asianmanrecords.com/basket/7vinyl.html

I actually just ordered Karaoke myself. I think they put out others, but I'm not certain.

To back-track to the LTJ conversation, the proper order is:
Losing Streak > Borders And Boundaries > Hello Rockview > Pezcore >> Anthem >>> In With The Out Crowd

It's not that I don't like Hello Rockview. I like it a lot. But I never skip a track on Losing Streak, it's easily the best start to finish. And I just like the sound of Borders a bit more. And oddly, even though Losing Streak is my favorite, if I had to pick my top 5 LTJ songs, I don't think any are on there.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

Yes! I snagged one of the sets before they sold out!

Dammit. I saw that this morning, but I was running late for work, and I was gonna order the set tonight. Luckily, they're still offering a two pack of the older vinyls for $10. Sold! Now I have to go plunk down more money for some of the LTJ reissues. Anyone joining me in that?

Unrelated, but I got to see Taj Motel Trio in Philly on Sunday. They put on a damned good show, and the new album is pretty rockin'. You should definitely go see them when they go on tour again.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

gerfatty posted:

I was gonna ask what you're "ughhh"ing about.
I know that I was afraid the guy produced that steaming pile of aural diarrhea known as Crimson. Knowing that he produced Oh! Calcutta, Unicorn Odyssey, and the good Alk3 does have me excited.

And this is going back in the conversation a bit, but in regards to the production on LTJ's pezcore, I too love the squeak of the pedal in the intro to Mike Sinkovich. Oddly, that squeak is made much more audible in the remaster. In the original, you can barely hear it.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Streetlight's horn section is amazing live, so I'd say it's worth it. But I did see this on punknews yesterday:

quote:

Streetlight Manifesto has announced that the band's sax player and main secondary vocalist Jim has been hospitalized.

When we got to Detroit, Jim, our tenor saxist and main secondary vocalist, realized the facial infection he was nursing was too serious to ignore any longer. In Pensacola, FL a week back, a kid jumped up on stage and hit his mic, which in turn slammed Jim's sax into his mouth. Somehow, the wound got infected on his gum, which ballooned half his face up with swelling the size of a grapefruit. Despite a round of antibiotics, it got worse, to the point where half of his face was practically paralyzed by the time we reached Detroit. He immediately went to the hospital, where we learned it was serious (they put him on morphine immediately) and he had to stay for surgery to remove a tooth and drain the abscess. We had to leave him in the hospital for a few days and, unfortunately, continue the tour without him. Now anyone that's seen us live, especially recently, knows how important Jim is to our live show, both vocally and as a horn player. We had to redistribute his vocal/horn lines among the remaining members and pair down which songs we are able to play (we're doing a bit more off of Numb because of this).

So that sucks. But I've already got my ticket for the Philly show. I'll be traveling for business next week and I'll conveniently be in the Chicago the same night as the tour, so I guess I'll see it twice, assuming my flight lands in time. Anyone else going to be there?

But good news about Starpool, ex-Stray Bullets, and the Planet Smashers makes me happy.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Z.S. Ghost posted:

I am truly amazed they are not way more popular than they are.

I think their fanbase is still growing. And as it is, the only two ska bands with more drawing power at the moment are RBF and LTJ. The real way I know they're catching on is that their shows also actually draw an over-21 crowd, which is really hard for a ska band. I saw them two times on the last tour in Philly and Chicago (I was in town on business), and I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout. And constantly disappointed that no one knew who Dan Potthast was :(

weekly font posted:

LTJ's new album is okay, on par with Anthem I'd say. And you're also all neglecting to mention Borders and Boundaries just as good as Losing Streak if not better.

Whoa whoa whoa. I love Borders and Boundaries, but it's no Losing Streak, even if I'd rank it second. But I'm loving the new album. I've been listening pretty much non-stop since Friday. I've been describing it as a coherent amalgamation of all their previous albums. Although, I'm now starting to think of it as a more coherent, better produced, more horns having version of B is for B-sides. Which is a good thing. I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only one to go overboard and order both the limited edition vinyl with art print and the CD/t-shirt.

Backno posted:

So random question...is anyone here looking at going to ska weekend this year, and if so whould anyone be interested in splitting a hotel room for the night after the show?

I always keep thinking about going, but unless they're not done revealing the line-up, it's not quite enough to get me to travel all the way to loving Knoxville.

The Hippos keep getting brought up, and I just wanted to mention that I finally found a copy of Forget The World. I got interested in them in high school, mostly through "Please" being on Mailorder is Fun! and "Far Behind" being on Where's The Beef? To put how long I've been looking in context, I did see a copy of it in The Wall in the mall, but it was 18 bucks. "18 bucks, that's ridiculous, I can find it for cheaper!" And I never saw it again, and never thought to try mailorder until after it was OOP. I travel a lot for my job, and one of my main hobbies is browsing used CD stores, so I've been looking heavily for over 2 years now. So imagine my shock when I walk into a store I had only been in like a month prior in Tucson, AZ and flipped the "HI" tab forward to see it sitting there. After looking for almost 9 years (NINE!), I almost screamed in joy. All that said, I still think Heads Are Gonna Roll is a better album.

The only problem is now I have my holy grail. I need a new CD to fuel my CD browsing. I found Jeffries' Fan Club's Nothing to Prove about a year ago, and I'm struggling to think of another hard to find ska CD, although the Impossibles Anthology is a possibility. Any suggestions? I'm thinking along the lines of Spring Heeled Jack, Edna's Goldfish, mid-90's ska-punk that's OOP. Or does anyone else have a CD they've never been able to find?

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Is there anything Save Ferris like that isn't terrible? I know of Tip the Van, a CT ska band, but they have this gimmick in singing harmonic fourths (I think its fourths?) and that wears thin pretty quickly. Also, old No Doubt works, but have any other worthwhile 3rd wave bands had female vocalists?

Stalking Roxy. They only put out one full album on Jump Up! records and it's loving phenomenal. You all need to listen to them no. I'm pretty sure I mentioned them earlier in the thread, but I'll keep mentioning them until I'm blue in the face.

Also, yeah, 'indie' has kind of become a genre. I basically think it's the new 'alternative'. Kind of a catch-all for bands that kinda sorta could be considered rock, but aren't straight up rock. Or they're just a bit too weird for mainstream. I have yet to convince anyone I know of the awesomeness of Art Brut :(

WaffleZombie fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 8, 2008

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

amateur economist posted:

So the Pentimento music site is launching later today. It's not public, but it looks like there is indeed some stuff going on with it if you simply go to the index.php

http://www.pentimentomusic.com/index.php

Dan Potthast, BOTAR, The Stitch Up look like they will all be represented by Pentimento, and maybe SLM once they get a third album out (Keasbey Nights didn't count against their contract, from what I understand)

That's pretty cool. And I checked the store, as I hadn't in a while. Holy poo poo, new screen printed posters. I've already got the brunette print framed and hanging in my living room and it looks fantastic. I just picked up the 3 smaller prints, which are each only $8! But they do kind of rape you on shipping.

I also wanted to pop in to share my excitement on the Bosstones being in Rock Band 2.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Backno posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWUdu-nwkqU
you are never to old to dance to ska.

That guy is hilarious, I think he's up in the North Jersey area. I've seen him at several shows both in Philly and up in Sayresville, and it's always good for a laugh.

I think it finally hit me that the crowd is much younger than my spry 27 was two shows last summer - Dan Potthast/Rick Johnson and some locals, and BTMI and some locals. For both shows, their were more band members in the bar area than anyone else. Also, both times, I was acquainted with the other 2-5 people in the bar.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

hedgecore posted:

Do we know each other? My band definitely opened up that Dan Potthast/Rick Johnson show and we've opened for BTMI at least 4 or 5 times in the area.

Well, I saw the show in Philly, and I think you guys opened the show in North Jersey. I've been meaning to see you guys for awhile, but it's just never worked out. So it's possible we've met, but at the very least, I know Coleman, who I'd imagine you do know. Have you made it down to any Philly shows?

As for Skankin' Rich, drat that guy travels. I know I've seen him at least once, maybe twice in Philly.

And I went to Warped Tour on Friday. It was totally worth it, if just to see Oreskaband. All-female Japanese pop-ska, similar to Yum! Yum! Orange. They totally stole the show. And for the first time in like forever, they didn't have any ska bands overlapping. Actually, of the 7 bands I wanted to see, there was only 1 overlap, and no huge 2 hour gap in between sets I wanted to see.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

hedgecore posted:

Ah... yeah I'm buddies with Coleman. Haven't seen him in months though since we went bowling during the BTMI!/OPioneers!!! tour. Tell him sneve says hey if you run into him. And that he sucks.

I haven't been to a Philly area ska show in years.. the last one I saw was Catch 22, Big D, Suicide Machines, AAA, Mustard Plug, Planet Smashers and the Code years ago at the Trocadero. I'd kill for that lineup again. It's just too far and usually I can go to a NYC or NJ date instead. I was in Wilkes Barre for the BTMI/Queers/Andrew Jackson Jihad show, although I don't know if that's even close to you.

And Skankin Rich came to one of our shows in CT a while ago... I think his car has the MU330 license plates, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, Coleman kind of dropped off the earth for awhile there. When I was at State College, I drove over to Wilkes Barre for the Streetlight/Big D show on that early "Hey, we're SL, and we might never tour! Okay, maybe just this once or twice!" tour. After that drive, I got there to stand in line only for tickets to sell out like 10 people in front of me. I stuck around, and thankfully someone sold me their wrist band after the openers played. It's an easy enough drive from DE, but I refuse to go there again until those fuckers start selling advance tickets.

I saw that article on IGN today too, and I was really excited. Down in Flames, pretty please.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Guess who's reuniting for a small East Coast tour? The Pilfers! And they're bringing Sonic Boom Six along.

Fri. 11/21 - 941 Theater - Philadelphia, PA

Sat. 11/22 - Middle East - Cambridge, MA (18+)

Sun. 11/23 - Europa - Brooklyn, NY

Wed. 11/26 - Asbury Lanes - Asbury Park, NJ

Fri. 11/28 - Billy Baloney's - Danbury, CT

Well, I'm excited.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Urgh, I wish I was 21 or had a fake. A bar in Philly, the Barbary has a party called 10 Commandments once a month. They spin all old ska, reggae, soul, dub, and rocksteady. Some friends of mine have been going, and it sounds loving awesome.

I should try to make it to that. Unrelated, but they just announced a Dead Milkmen show at the Church. I got my ticket :)

Aww Cute Kitty! posted:

Bump for the sake of last night's Streetlight show at Starland Ballroom.

Briefs on the opening bands: The AKAs (Hard Rock) suck, The Swellers are alright but not anything special, but The Fear Nuttin' Band was pretty good. Their band picture pretty much explains their sound.

Set List, to the best of my memory. I will screw this up, badly. Please correct if you were there:
    * Would You Be Impressed
    * The Saddest Song
    * The Receiving End Of It All
    * Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint
    * We Will Fall Together
    * Forty Days
    * Down, Down, Down, to Mephisto's Cafe
    * It's A Wonderful Life
    * Linoleum
    * That'll Be The Day
    * Here's To Life
    * On & On & On & On
    * Watch It Crash
Encore
    * Acoustic Medley: Sick and Sad, The Big Sleep, Somewhere In The Between
    * Somewhere In The Between

Not much to say, but just a heads up for those going to later shows. I'll add anything if I remember anything.

That seems short for a set at Starland. I'll be seeing this tour in SLC since I'll be there on business next week. And I'm looking forward to seeing the AKAs. I downloaded their new album a couple of months ago. I didn't think it was anything special, but I just keep listening to it over and over. Give 'em another shot.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

WaffleZombie posted:

Guess who's reuniting for a small East Coast tour? The Pilfers! And they're bringing Sonic Boom Six along.

Fri. 11/21 - 941 Theater - Philadelphia, PA

Well, I'm excited.

This show now includes BTMI and Last Martyrs of a Lost Cause. I'm really loving excited about this show now.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

lessthankyle posted:

Anyone going to the Pilfers on Sunday? I was wavering until I saw BTMI will be there, that's enough to push me off the fence.

I just got back from the show in Philly, and it was phenomenal. Go. The Pilfers even played two new songs, so they might be sticking around for awhile :) BTMI and Sonic Boom Six both put on great shows too, and Last Martyrs brought it as always. However, Emotron was pretty much the worst excuse for an opener I've ever seen. And I'll just say that I definitely saw more (much more) than I needed to see.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

alvinthegreat posted:

Yes, I've noticed that trad/Jamaican ska gets very little love in this thread.

Also, SkaPara, La Ruda Salska, and OreSkaBand are staples of my ska collection.

Christ, I don't shut up about La Ruda. You'll be excited to know they've got a new album, "Grand Soir", coming out next month. Let's not forget: Freygolo, Obrint Pas, The Locos, Miami Bazooka Head, Stevo's Teen, No Authority, and I could go on.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

A bunch of random crap:

- I was excited to see that Taj Motel Trio will be playing in Moorestown, NJ (near Philly) in March. And then I realized that I already have tickets to see Less Than Jake that night. I hate when that happens. I'm sorry Josh :(

- I really want to see Edna's Goldfish. I almost went to their last reunion back in like early 2001, and I really regret not going. But I really don't want to drive all the way up there from the Philly area for 30 minutes of one band and a day full of crap.

- I'm really digging Scrambles. Its' sound is a logical progression from Get Warmer. Which is the sort of poo poo I LOVE.

- I've never really listened to them, but I saw that Chase Long Beach signed to Victory Records. All I could think was, "hehe...You dumb bastards". Seriously, don't they know better?

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

I'm seeing them in Philly on Saturday. I'm excited. Tomorrow night is the Swingin' Utters at the venue that's one block away from stabwafflezombieville. Yay philly!

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

The Declaration of Independence is pretty much perfection in EP form. It was really a shame to see them break up.

guppy posted:

I'm going to see the Utters here on Sunday :dance: I'm super excited. Oh, and I guess the Street Dogs are playing too, that's cool, I guess.

The Utters put on a pretty good show. I only saw them once before, way back in 2000/2001. But yeah, that pretty much echoes my sentiments. What little I've heard of the Street Dogs is decent, but I've come down with a case of tinnitus and with another 4/5 shows I want to see in the next 2-3 weeks, I really need to cut down on my loud noise exposure.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

guppy posted:

Pretty decent mix, actually. Some of the stuff I remember: 9th At Pine, Happyman, City of Gainesville, State of Florida, All My Best Friends Are Metalheads, Look What Happened, The Rest Of My Life, Plastic Cup Politics, Gainesville Rock City, Surrender, Short Fuse Burning, Help Save The Youth Of America From Exploding, The Science Of Selling Yourself Short, ... I think they played The Ghosts Of Me And You, too, but I can't remember for sure. There were also a few songs I don't really know including I think they said some stuff from B Is For B-Sides.

Based on Vinnie's Twitter feed it looks like they've been playing some very similar setlists from show to show on this tour, with a few changes each time. I had a really good time and I think you should go.

The set in Philly was basically this (including Ghosts) and: Sobriety is a Serious Business (that was it from B-Sides), Anchor, I think I love you (!), creditreport.com jingle (?), Suburban Myth (!!!), Welcome To the New South, Overrated, Conviction Notice (set opener), Does The Lion City Still Roar, and I'd swear there was one other track off of GNV FLA but I can't remember what. They played for a nice hour 15 minutes, and it was a great show. I never get tired of seeing them.

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I've seen them twice since that album came out and I don't recall ever hearing any B is for B-Sides songs. I would really love to hear ASAOK, Jay Frenzal, National Anthem, Robots One Humans Zero, or Nine One One to Anyone. Roger hates playing National Anthem though so I guess rule that one out.

I know I've heard ASAOK and Jay Frenzal, and I think Nine One One. I too would love to hear more poo poo off of there. I really love National Anthem and Robots One.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Well, I just had a great 24 hours. I was out in Spokane, WA on a business trip and I saw Hepcat open for Flogging Molly last night. They were great, and I was thrilled they played "The Secret". They were my first ska show over 10 years ago, and it was nice to see them again. Then I woke up rear end-early to fly back to Philly, where I saw Streetlight play at the Troc (the same place I saw Hepcat so long ago). Last Martyrs of a Lost Cause opened and they killed. I'll make fun of the other openers later, but Streetlight was great. The set was very heavy on Everything Went Numb, but the big surprise was that they played "Riding the Fourth Wave".

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Last week was a great concert week for me. We Are The Union on Tuesday, Ska is Dead IV on Friday, and Less Than Jake on Sunday. And Art Brut on Thursday, but you don't care about that.
-We Are The Union only played like 25 minutes, but were great. I can't wait for the new full length.
-Ska Is Dead IV was a mixed bag. It was supposed to be in a smaller venue that shut down, and I think the move killed it. Yes, it added a bar, but made it feel empty. Last Martyrs of A Lost Cause played their last show there and they had to use a fill-in vocalist since the singer quit. I'm going to miss those guys. Also, it was nice to see Mustard Plug again. Apparently a new album is in the works.
-Less Than Jake. I had to suffer through the Casualties, but LTJ loving killed. They played Short on Ideas/One Last Cigarette in the encore, it was loving awesome.

Hooray for new Streetlight merch (namely the screenprints), boo to Victory. Are Victory just being dicks on purpose or something?

Finally, inspired by the end of the decade lists I see popping up everywhere, I'm starting to try and throw together a best of the decade mix. One for 2000-2004, and the other 2005-2009. If you had to pick 5 ska/ska-related songs from the past decade, what would you pick?

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Why couldn't that New York show be on a Sunday?

In other reunion news, Spring Heeled Jack is going to do a reunion show:
http://www.punknews.org/article/36857
Oddly enough, I asked myself what songs from broken up bands I'd most like to hear live, and "Jolene" is what first came to mind.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

aricoarena posted:

Anyone else see the strange Streelight Manifesto new update that is just a period? Sup wit dat?

Yeah, I saw that while I was at work and I was hoping it was an image or something that my work blocked. Nope, just a period.

Although this is floating around:

quote:

New Jersey's STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO will release their much anticipated album 99 Songs of Revolution on March 16, 2010 via Victory Records. The album will feature covers, see the tracklist below.

1. Hell - By: Squirrel Nut Zippers
2. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard - By: Paul Simon
3. Linoleum - By: NoFX
4. Birds Fly Away - By: Mason Jennings
5. Such Great Heights - By: The Postal Service
6. Red Rubber Ball - By: Simon & Garfunkel (Originally recorded by the Cyrcle)
7. Punk Rock Girl - The Dead Milkmen
8. Country House - Blur
9. Skyscraper - Bad Religion
10. Troubador - Louis Jordan
It was in the comments of a punknews story about Streetlight booking the two shows, and it's on some site called indiestar.tv. So, probably fake, but one can always hope.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack reunion show tonight! I'm excited. Have to drive up to Connecticut from Wilmington, DE, but hopefully that'll be worth it.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Sorry, it's been a while since I got to post, so please tolerate my rambling.

davecrazy posted:

So pissed I missed this. How was it?

New Haven was pretty sweet place to be in the mid-late 1990's.

Best show I ever saw, any band, was SHJ a few weeks after Static World View was released at the Tune Inn.

I missed the tribute show after Dave died, and now missed the reunion show (which I had heard was going to happen). meh.

The reunion show was pretty sweet. I went to the Saturday show with We Are The Union and The Pietasters opening. I stood right in front of the horn section, and it's amazing looking up and seeing horn players for Less Than Jake, the Bosstones, and ex-RBF all playing together. (Tyler still likes the booze.) But SHJ killed it. Great set, covering everything I really wanted to hear including Jolene, Waiting, Watching, and Pop Song Green. And Coolie Ranx joined them onstage for Man of Tomorrow. And the girls from Tip The Van were standing off to the side of the stage, which is always a nice bonus. Great loving night.

Then a month or so ago, I went to see Sonic Boom Six/Knock Out/On Display at the Khyber in Philly. Tiny rear end show (40-50 people) and as soon as walk in I spot the girls from Tip the Van again. "What the hell are they doing at a show in Philly they're not playing?", I ask myself. Then, more confusingly, I spot Aaron Barrett, which actually causes me to pull a triple-take. Oh, and Sonic Boom Six are awesome live, in case you didn't already know.

In more concert news, go see Streetlight on their current tour. Here was their encore: Lineoleum, acoustic version of Sick and Sad, 12341234, The Big Sleep. Yes, you read that right. And with the show in Philly, they played Punk Rock Girl, as they needed to. Sadly, I got to the show late, and missed Dan Potthast. But I did get to buy his new album full of his "city songs", and I asked if that MU330 Halloween album is ever coming out. He said he's hoping, but there hasn't been any progress.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

I just saw Less Than Jake the past two nights in small venues in the Philly suburbs, and the bit of news they shared: they just recorded an EP of TV theme songs. They played something off it I completely didn't recognize, which makes me feel good about myself because apparently it was for iCarly.

Also, I got to hear them play National Anthem. Finally. Love that song.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Obama Yo Mama posted:

e2: we also need someone to be the foreign liaison and take Talco and Ska-P

I'll gladly take European ska/punk bands, but only if we acknowledge La Ruda is the best. (Or at least was, I didn't like their newer album that much).

About a week ago, I found out that Ska-P is actually playing a show in New York City, on November 11. Of course, I already have a ticket to see the Lawrence Arms in Philly that night. And I'm supposed to leave for vacation the next morning.

Also, Dan P is awesome. He's got a new album out collecting a bunch of his "city songs". Some are catchy as poo poo, and it includes a song from a show I was at.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Obama Yo Mama posted:

:aaaaa:

Yeah, it's like a 3 day USA tour, but the other two dates are in Southern Cal. I'm trying to think of ways to go...

drunk asian neighbor posted:

My old band finally recorded something concrete!

http://victorslament.com/

Free/suggested donation for the EP, give it a listen, tell me what you guys think!

Hey, I've seen you guys. You're not Josh, are you?

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

HOLY poo poo

Asian Man Records Newsletter posted:

Ok….. SO….. ASIAN MAN turns 15 next year. Shoooootzzzz.. . that’s a long time I’ve been doing this. Even though it feels like I just started this recently. Anyways, I guess that’s a good thing that it still feels fresh.

So what does this mean? Well, here’s what I have planned.
On June 16th, 17th, and 18th we’ll take over two clubs in San Francisco, California. THE BOTTOM OF THE HILL and THE PARKSIDE. Both clubs are located on 17th street and only a 5 minute walk apart.

We will have shows going simultaneously at both venues on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. We’ll do the wristband option for the whole weekend so you can bounce back and forth to both clubs and we’ll also sell individual tickets to each show.

I am trying to get every single band that ever put a release out on asian man to participate. And yes, I realize that will be impossible, but I’m going try and pull some miracles. Wish me luck. I’m excited to say so far I’ve gotten MU330 to commit to doing this and also the almighty SLOW GHERKIN. But yeah, I’m seriously going after some bands that you will freak out if they commit.

These are small clubs too. Both are only around 350 capacity spaces, so we’ll have a great atmosphere for every show. And it will be in the best city in the whole wide world. SAN FRANCISCO!!! YAY!!!

Basically, I’ve just started contacting bands, but I expect at least 50 bands. Each week I’ll update the bands confirmed to play, but yeah.. just wanted to get the word out there and I’ll keep you posted on all the goodness to come.
Be well.
Peace, mike park

And from the Asian Man facebook page: "here are some more bands that have confirmed: THE QUEERS, THE APERS, SHINOBU, THE HOT TODDIES, THE WILD, MONKEY, and many more coming".

I will be at these shows come hell or high water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

While everyone is throwing out suggestions, anyone want to recommend some albums that came out in the past year? I'm trying to put together my year-end lists and a mix, and I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Specifically, I'm looking for obscure local or foreign stuff. One album I've come across is the new one from Talco. They're an Italian band, and while I had heard of them before, I hadn't given them a listen. It's a really fast paced album with some of the most insanely tight horn lines I've ever heard. And it's a concept album about a anti-Mob activist, with lyrics on their website in English.