Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Check out the Sad Cafe over in Plaistow. I mean there aren't any big ticket ska bands that I know of, but we just played a show there last night that was pretty kickin'.

I have no idea how NH has a ska scene though. Maybe i'm just nuts.

It's more of a Merrimack Valley thing. Alot of kids from Lawrence and Lowell areas make the drive up there. God you brought back such memories of my High school days seeing five o five and skankin pickle at the sad cafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The Slackers - Tin Tin Deo
Hepcat - Skaravan
and
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - Tetris
Any Ska Band - Any song by Oingo Boingo

are easily my favorite covers. What made me sad is that the Oingo Boingo tribute album only really had Suburban Legends doing On the Outside, the Aquabats doing Controller, and RxBandits doing Grey Matter as good stuff. Especially when Skankin Pickle did an awesome version of Violent Love on the Green Album, which is full of all sorts of other covers. Gates of Steel and Pay to Cum so gooood.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

If we're still claiming ska bands, totally dibsin Skankin' Pickle. Mike Park is probably the chillest dude I have ever met. He seemed really surprised when I asked him to sign my Asian Man Records hoodie at Warped Tour in '00.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I got so drat giddy when they were leading in to playing Captain Hampton. The set was loving awesome and just one Attacked by Snakes away from my being able to die happy right there. The (one) new song wasn't even terrible either!

Definitely missed the old Avalon vibe. The new HoB really can't compare to either of the clubs they osmosed. Hands up if you saw the Planet Smashers at Axis a million years ago and made you love them for life.

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 24, 2010

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I totally forgot about tickets to that. When I saw the lineups I screamed "WHAT, NOOOOOoooooooooo!!!" Now I really want to go.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm sorry ska thread, I should've listened to you all those years ago and gone to the BTMI shows when I could. Spent today listening to everything they've ever made and I love them.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Isn't saying Bruce Lee Band and LTJ in the same sentence like mentioning Clark Kent and Superman? Or did Mike Park pick up another backing band?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Obama Yo Mama posted:

jeff is a p cool dude hth

qiyd, bummed I missed him on Andrew Jackson Jihad's tour last fall.

I've been whistling With any Sort of Certainty all day and it has seriously had me in an amazing mood.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's proto BTMI, jeff yelling over some fast skapunk with some hardcore elements. S'pretty good.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I know they're hardly ska these days, but wtf at RxBandits touring again? I had wrote them off the list of bands I need to see before I die when I heard the broke up, but they just shot themselves to the top of the list. Anyone else going to be at the show in Boston?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Well they don't go on sale until tomorrow at noon. I'm super excited and hope they play the Resignation in its entirety, seeing as it's the 10th anniversary tour.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The Slackers: http://www.theslackers.com/music/ New York Jazz/Ska/Reggae/Rocksteady.

There isn't a definitive album, but Peculiar is my personal favorite.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

May I also suggest RxBandits, but only if you listen to them in order and even maybe skipping Mandala because it's too different.

Progress-The Resignation-And The Battle Begun. It's a great progression from solid but typical Third Wave ska into a more progressive form. I love it all, but especially the Resignation. There's more than a hint of the Police in there.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

nerve posted:

Mandala is their best album so don't skip it.

Yeah, my only caveat was that it's not ska. Still owns, but not quite as much as The Resignation for me, Never Slept so Softly pulls on my feels so hard.

The middle part of All Ages Shows gets me every goddamn time. I love the Jeff/Laura back and forth and its the reason I dig her solo stuff. And I wanna just blast the Descendents.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I thought to myself, "Whoa sweet, a Massachusetts ska show, welp nope"

Psyched to see the Planet Smashers touring here again though.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Awesome OClock posted:

Boston Common. It was announced maybe a month ago. There's some sort of Festival going on, I guess. The Bosstones are the one noteworthy thing that's going on.

Edit: Now with links. http://www.boston.com/thingstodo/gotoit/2013/07/outside_the_box.html

Aww Dag, Taj Motel Trio is playing at the same time as the Bosstones on sahday (#menino) at city hall plaza.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Josh Wow posted:

Luckily for you that's the Taj Mahal Trio, and not us. There's been a decent amount of confusion about that over the years.

HOoray! Now I don't feel conflicted in the slightest. Although maybe I should get my eyes checked

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

They added a show in Boston at the HoB with Dan Potthast too. I am more excited for that than the Lupos show last saturday. (also mike park involved :swoon:)

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Hmmm, seriously considering coming from Boston for that. BTMI became one of my favorite anarcho musical explosions and glockenspiel collectives over the course of this thread.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Downstairs is better and the Slackers are better musicians.

But I've already given them enough money and Jeff is a cool dude too. And they're always going to come around again and play an awesome show then. No need to hate on anyone duders.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

tnimark posted:

Any recommendations of where to start if I haven't heard any Mike Park? That Bruce Lee Band song is awesome.

Skankin Pickle - Green Album (Skankin Pickle Fever is good too) , The Chinkees - Peace Through Music.

My favorite thing about the warped tour in the late 90's was going and saying hi to Mike and him being shocked that anyone knew who he was. He even signed my Asian Man hoodie.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

But it was such a nice house in a nice neighborhood! Who could've expected anything like that happening?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

How would I know that the Ska thread talks more about AJJ than the punk thread?

Asian Man.

Best Record Label.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I wish I hadn't known that. I'll just go back to listening to the Resignation and The Battle Begun and parts of Mandala and continue to think they broke up.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Petition to rename thread to Ska Megathread: Jeff Rosenstock and other bands sometimes. Also this thread is way more punk than the punk thread lately.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Fateo McMurray posted:

Thankfully Rosenstock isn't headlining the Boston show so I can show up late and still see Andrew Jackson Jihad, who are 1000000times better.

It's such an early show that I'm sad I can't do beerfest and see the entire thing, let alone even show up late. I really like Jeff and I agree that AJJ is 100000 times better so that shows you how much I like AJJ too.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

rear end Catchcum posted:

Jeff is the new Tomas

impossible, jeff puts out new music

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard of Skavoovie and the Epitones; I've heard a couple of their songs via YouTube and they seem like the sort of band I'd like. At the same time, though, I think they have a euphonium player, and euphoniums piss me off. Still, I reckon they merit a closer look.

Another band I've listened to recently - who I suppose might be a little more obscure - is Skankin' Pickle. I've only heard their first album but I'm unsure what to make of it or them. They have one song on said album called "How Funk" which I like, but it reminds me (and this is probably a bit of a left-field comparison) of something that wouldn't be out of place on the second RHCP album (just throw in a few more references to California). Haha! :D

Skankin Pickle was what the ska fans (me in highschool basically) listened to before 3rd wave was a mainstream thing. They did a lot of great stuff before Lynnette died, and Mike Park went on to make even more ska/punk music. Bruce Lee Band, the Chinkees, his solo act and he even owns Asian Man Records, the best goddamn record label.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

it is so the thing i am into it hurts

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Holy gently caress that is worth driving to nyc for.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Skeezy posted:

The Aquabats have always been great and while the new stuff isn't my favorite it's cool that the kids love it. Yo Gabba Gabba is great and the Super Show loving ruled.

It's music that doesn't suck that I can happily listen to with my kids. They adore Shark Fighter and Pink Pants and BFFS.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Yeah, Skankin Pickle would be the one I'd immediately think of. Early Thirdwave.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

ASOB and earlier BTMI were way more 3rd wave than Vacation and his solo stuff.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

if you're 37 and listen to All Ages Shows you instantly turn into dust

because i was in trashed room in 1996 talking to my green day posters and then in a flash i'm my parents

i also just want to blast the descendants
(jeff is also 37 and every year he keeps putting out poo poo that is laser targeted at the aging millenial in the 80-85 range)

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

people in their 20s when scrambles came out are millenials, hth

it's almost like the problems we were suffering 10 years ago are still relevant

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

mike park has been my ska idol for going on 30 years now, thanks mike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEEY9yTaQgk

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I wish I was still in Boston :(

extreme alucard voice

*im interested in this*

I haven't seen the slackers since right after Self Medication came out, they played the middle east downstairs and holy poo poo that ceiling was dripping with re-condensed sweat

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

holy poo poo!

obi has the greatest singing voice of any ska band and this is not an argument

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I think I need to see tokyo skapara before I die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

CodfishCartographer posted:

Jeff's new album, HELLMODE, is up on spotify!

head is practically a BTMI song so i'm in love already