Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So anybody in the Boston area want to go see Big D and English Beat tonight? I hate going to shows alone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

I personally would recommend Hello Rockview and Losing Streak. Anthem if you want a slightly poppier sound.

I'd also recommend Borders & Boundaries, and the newest one, GNV FLA. Anthem & In with the Out Crowd are super poppy, but GNVFLA is a lot more upstroke and horn based.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Password on the .rar?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno. Good songs and all, but I just can't get into the slow, acoustic vibe of them. Which is, I think, why I started listening to ska in the first place.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Haha no poo poo? Where do you live? I used to see the Superspecs all the time, and I used to see the lead singer (Brad?) when he was working at Sam Ash, I still see the drummer from when they were the Superspecs every so often, working at the UPS store in Ramsey.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WaffleZombie posted:

The Declaration of Independence is pretty much perfection in EP form. It was really a shame to see them break up.

Project HANDSOFF was even better, definitely one of my favorite albums throughout high school.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Godamnit, LTJ played tonight like 10 minutes from my apartment and I couldn't afford to go.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

RockShowLevel27 posted:

Not sure if this belongs here, but Bouncing Souls and The Loved Ones put on a fantastic show tonight in New Haven, CT.

Well worth the hour and a half drive down from Providence.

Agreeing with this. Saw them last night in Boston, going to see them again tomorrow night at the same venue.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Void Union is pretty good. Chick singer, slower songs. I think the singer is dating one of the horn players from Big D, too (at least I see them together all the time).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

It's on their purevolume. In other news WATU signed with Paper or Plastick records (drummer from Less Than Jakes label) and they're doing a bunch of touring so check em out if you get a chance. Even if one of their tours is interfering with me getting dates booked for one of ours. Jerks.

What's your band?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Miscellaneous_T posted:

This is seriously the exact same words that come to my mind upon listening.

For reals? Oh man that doesn't bode well. I loving love Big D and I really don't want to see them go to poo poo. Where are you finding these new songs?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Whoa jeez you guys weren't kidding. While it's not terrible music, it's definitely not what I expected to hear from Big D. Doped Up Dollies sounds like an MIA song for pete's sake.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't see any MA dates and that makes me sad. I really don't want to drive 4 hours to NYC, but I will if that's what it takes to see the Bandits again.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Boston ska legions: the Have Nots are playing at All Asia in Cambridge tomorrow at 1:00PM. Fast punk-ska in the vein of the Suicide Machines. Should be a good time!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Reel Big Fish/English Beat tomorrow!!!

...if I get my paycheck today like I'm supposed to...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I think Tomas thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat. He went by on his bike as we were leaving the Warped Tour, and I yelled his name, but I pronounced it like Thomas, and then realized I wasn't sure, so I yelled an apology too. Is it Thomas or Toe-mas?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

The trumpet player for the Spitvalves now plays in the Supervillians, who are a lot different but still totally awesome (most of the time).

You know, I saw them open for RBF and the English Beat and I was really blown away. They kick a lot of rear end, especially live.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

If that was a month ago I was totally there.

Are you going to BTMI/Andrew Jackson Jihad on the 2nd?

If I can switch shifts with somebody, then absolutely.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've already taken off on the 22nd.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You know, I was doing the math:

Round trip from Boston to NYC - $30
Tickets for both NYC dates and the Boston date - ~$60

90 bucks to see them 3 nights in a row? That is extremely doable.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Aww that's just adorable.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm a big fan of Car-Crushing Elephant myself.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I honestly thought Catch 22 broke up after Permanent Revolution.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Saturday? Where?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh God I think I actually have off from work Saturday but I don't have a ticket and I don't have a car :cry:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I would be the slightly overweight guy wearing a death metal t-shirt at a ska show.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dickeye posted:

Streetlight posted some news

Basically, "Just a little bit longer and then the break, we won't be touring as much after the break but we'll still tour a lot, and oh yeah we're doing something cool at the Jersey show"

Nothing new

I'm missing this cool thing at the Jersey show, and the playthroughs of the albums in NY...I hope the Boston show isn't like their recovery period from that stuff or something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"We'll be taking a break after these next few shows...but we'll be back next year, with 150 new albums!"

Good show last night. Glad to see his arm is better.

I have to say though, Outernational was really, really bad.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So the band I played with in college just released their first EP, and I figured I might as well pimp it out: Victor's Lament

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dickeye posted:

So I'm sure someone else here was wondering what Streetlight was doing the 4th, with it being the last show of the tour and Soprano's last show

Turns out, they're playing both albums

Yeah

BOTH ALBUMS

WITH A 99S0R LISTENING PARTY INTERMISSION IN BETWEEN

gently caress

Anybody want to get a carpool going from Boston to Sayreville?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Totally worth the ordeal that followed the show. I didn't get back home to Boston until 10:30 this morning.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So one of my cardinal sins is loving ska and never actually having picked up a Mustard Plug album. What should I start with?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anybody need the presale code for those tickets? HoB sent me an e-mail with the code.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I could use it. The only email I've gotten is from the Bosstones with a code to download the free song. Unless that code is the same as the ticket code. Was it "presale"?

The HoB presale never happened. However they released a bunch of presales on their site, no password!

http://www.bosstonesmusic.com/MMB47F20394X48N909J3VIP/

EDIT: Just bought 1 ticket each to day 1 and day 3! Pre-show meetup, anybody?

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 30, 2009

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Streetlightmanifesto.com posted:

11.17.2009 | Still Alive, Still Kicking
Hello there everyone. Let's jump straight into it, shall we?

1) 99 SOR. We're being buried with emails regarding the release date but we can't announce one because we don't know when it is. What we can say is this: some record labels (not naming names here, so it can't be "libel") are just plain horrendous. That's pretty much all we can say for now. Seriously though, it's a sad fact that the bullshit bands have to put up with from some labels isn't worth the benefits (ha!) of being on said labels.

That being said, it looks like 99SOR: Volume One will be released on vinyl via the Pentimento Music Company long before it comes out on CD or digitally. Stay tuned for a release date for the vinyl. We'll also be posting clips from the record in the next few days, along with artwork, since it is in fact finished and just sitting around (you have no idea how frustrating it is).

2) People are also asking when we'll be hitting the road again. We have no tours planned as of this very minute but we are planning our 2010 now. More importantly, though, we will be heading into the studio soon (as is a particular electricity deficient collective..) and we don't plan on touring until we have a few records to release.

3) The Risc Store just got a bunch of new items, Streetlight and otherwise. 'Tis the season yada yada blah blah blah..

4) During our downtime, our resident tenor sax genius will be giving lessons. Straight from the Conti's mouth:

Jim Conti will be offering saxophone lessons along with music theory tutoring/instruction in the Montgomery County, Maryland/NW D.C. area. Individual instruction for all levels on alto, tenor, or baritone. Lessons can include classical and/or jazz and improvisational instruction. Anyone interested can contact him (serious inquiries please) at jim_conti@live.com for more information.

Obviously we are very fond of our Jimmy, so no stalkers or creeps please.

That is all, see you at the next update, with soundclips!

Preview clips :dance:

If the record is finished, one of them should rip it onto a laptop, pop over to a Starbucks or somewhere else with public wifi, and throw it up on a public torrent tracker or something. It's really frustrating that they have a whole album of material that nobody can hear because Victory are a bunch of jerks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

That song (title) isn't about me. This weekend we played Ska Is Dead which was pretty sweet besides the fact of everything going wrong before/during/after our set. At the end of the show the drummer from the Toasters and the trombonists for the Voodoo Glow Skulls had a race to see who could chug a gallon of milk the fastest. If I get around to it I'll upload what lovely video I have.

What band are you in again? I always see people talking about how great your band is and I want to get in on the goon ska!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

If you're lucky you can get a PBR at the House of Blues in Boston for $6!

I'll stick to my $10 single-shot vodka tonic, thank you very much :colbert:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Got my Throwdown tickets for Sunday in the mail today. Really can't wait for the Monday ones, cause those will have the new album with it.

Got mine for Saturday and Monday!

I was really worried I wouldn't get them, since the charge the ticket company made on my card sat there untouched for so long the bank actually gave me the money back in my account, and it didn't get charged again until like last week.

EDIT: ^^^^^ I liked your old avatar better.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

guppy posted:

Aww, the Bosstones gave me a rad new album for my birthday :) Thanks Bosstones!

Aww me too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Uh, they've been on sale for a while? I already got my tickets for the sunday and monday shows in hand

Those are for Saturday-Monday the 26-28 at the House of Blues. I didn't know about the Middle East show, maybe I'll get to see them 3 times!