Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[

demolition rickshaw posted:

I really wish I could say the same for Less Than Jake - In With the Out Crowd, but their most recent stuff really hasn't been doing it for me. :(

I'm might be the biggest LTJ fan on these boards (maybe -- I've seen them 16 times in the past 7 years), and I'm really looking forward to the next album. They got out of their Warner Bros contract, so hopefully the next album will have much less label influence (aka removing the horns for radio play) and production. If Reel Big Fish's latest is any indication (and I really hope it is), they are still very much a punk/ska band, but were being held back by their label.

That being said, IWTOC has some amazing songs on it. Most of it is pretty generic and alright, and thankfully there isn't anything as bad as She's Gonna Break Soon. However, Still Life Franchise and P.S. Shock The World are both loving incredible and probably two of my favorite LTJ songs ever. The B-Sides are all really great too, it's really sad they were side-lined, almost certainly by WB, because they are too ska-sounding. I think Even Trophy Boys and Girls Sing the Blues may be the first LTJ song written in 3/4 time (please correct me if I'm wrong).

On the bright side, they could put out crap from now until the end of time and their live shows would still be loving amazing. The amount of poo poo they bring on tour is nuts. I've seen everything from the usual confetti cannons and toilet-paper/leaf-blower streamers to a wall of old TVs on the Vidiots tour to a fire-breather multiple times and most recently a full on Price is Right setup when they toured with Reel Big Fish. Oh, and the time before that I saw them play a benefit concert in their/my hometown of Gainesville which was almost exclusively requests for two plus hours. They played Mike Sinkovich at my request, and Buddy played the horn intro of Scott Farcas just for me after Chris said he didn't want to play that song (which is insane because it's loving amazing). Oh, and I can't forget the "Wheel of Jake" tour where a majority of the set list was voted on by fans online. The winning selections were placed on a big spinning wheel, and the just kept spinning the wheel and playing whatever it landed on (except when they moved it off Soundcheck to play something else, that was a real bummer for me).

On another topic, I simply cannot believe that Streetlight Manifesto's "Somewhere in the Between" lived up to the hype. I thought that was going to be an impossible feat.

StrikerObi fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 12, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

They wouldn't play Scott Farcas at the Florida Friends tour during requests either. Chris said something a long the lines of "that song loving sucks." They played just about any other song, including old/rare stuff.

IWTOC does have good songs, but they're so overproduced on the CD. A lot of the songs live are pretty good.

Vinny said they're trying to get "the energy" back into the next album, as the production of IWTOC kind of sucked it out.

Why is Chris such a douche sometimes? Scott Farcas is easily in my top 5 LTJ songs, it's got so much loving energy.

Anyway, I just found out that they're playing a FREE show tonight with Reel Big Fish in Gainesville. It's only a two hour drive to there from here in Tallahassee. I'm getting in my car shortly. This will be my 17th show and (I think) my 15th in Gainesville (I lived there from 1999-2002 before I went to college up here in Tally, where I now live). Their hometown shows always blow the poo poo out of the rest that I've been to.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
I looked back a few pages and didn't see this posted here yet. Less Than Jake has finally announced their new record label. It's pretty exciting news, because they are now their own record label, Sleep it Off Records. They'll be releasing their back catalog (once they get the rights to all of it) on this label which will include DVDs of them playing the albums live (I'm guessing cut together from the FL and UK Album shows).

More exciting though, is this quote from Vinnie:

quote:

To be honest, I don't really know what to expect. All I do know is that we're writing songs now and they seem to have the spirit of a tempo in mind, all very speedy but once we hit the record button they may be slower."

The news article about it continues on to say:

quote:

He admits that personally he's looking to combine third wave ska and pop punk in each song, but that he'll be "as surprised as everyone" when the album is complete.

This bodes very well for their next release this summer. Reel Big Fish's new album is pretty drat good, and that certainly has something to do with the fact that they are on an indie label now. Here's hoping the same rings true for Less Than Jake. If they produce something half as good as Hello Rockview I will be very happy.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
LTJ's In With the Out Crowd get way too much hate. Sure, half the album is entirely mediocre but has a couple absolutely amazing tracks on it. A Still Life Franchise and P.S. Shock the World are two of their best songs ever in my opinion. I've got a personal love for Soundtrack of My Life because it reminds me of listening to Less Than Jake for the past 10 years.

Also, if you haven't heard any of the IWTOC B-sides, do yourself a favor and get them all (Negative Sides of Optimistic Eyes, We the Uninspired, Even Trophy Boys and Girls get the Blues, Only Human). They're all really really good. Oh, and Overrated's alternate lyrics are so much loving better than the ones on the album. They manage to turn the entire song into a searing satire of the pop-punk/emo scene.

Anyway, here's my order of albums

Hello Rockview > Borders & Boundaries > Pezcore > Losing Streak > anthem. (& B is for B Sides) > In With the Out Crowd

I like them all for different reasons too.

Hello Rockview - Honestly the perfect punk/ska album in my opinion. The extra trombone really pumps everything up, as does the organ that shows up on a few songs.

Borders & Boundaries - I hated this album at first, there was probably no way to avoid that seeing as it came out after HR. I think it's really great now. It's the point in the band's history where Vinnie's lyrics start getting really insightful.

Pezcore - You can hear the squeak of the bass drum pedal during the intro to Where the Hell is Mike Sinkovich. That sound makes this entire album for me. It's so loving raw.

Losing Streak - Less Than Jake at the peak of their piss & vinegar stage.

anthem. - Didn't like this one very much at first either. Later I realized it has some of their best guitar riffs ever. The guitars are so awesome on this album.

In With the Out Crowd - They're getting hosed hard by Warner Bros on this album, but a few tracks (mentioned above) manage to break through and be loving amazing.

I'm really excited for whatever comes out of their new Sleep it Off label album. So much promise...

I've been trying to get into LTJ vinyl for awhile now, but it's such a daunting task. I went to a free show in Gainesville a few months ago and managed to score or $10 a copy of Losers, King... on green vinyl. Apparently it's limited to 200 copies. They were just selling it among a bunch of stuff they found in their warehouse. It was a collector-nerd's wetdream at that show. They were throwing 7"s into the crowd like nobody's business. Sadly I didn't manage to snag one :(

StrikerObi fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 22, 2008

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
Less Than Jake announced their new album today. It's titled "GNV FLA" (aka Gainesville, Florida).

1. City Of Gainesville
2. The State Of Florida
3. Does the Lion City Still Roar?
4. Summon Monsters
5. Abandon Ship
6. Handshake Meets Pokerface
7. Settling Son
8. Malachi Richter's Liquor's Quicker
9. Golden Age Of My Negative Ways
10. The Space They Can't Touch
11. Conviction Notice
12. This One's Gonna Leave A Bruise
13. The Life Of The Party Has Left The Building
14. Devil In My DNA

This makes me super excited. Mostly because I'm from Gainesville and I love LTJ. Quote from the band below.

quote:

It's a return to form that could be called the “traditional” Less Than Jake sound, complete with their trademark bouncy ska grooves and horns galore, GNV FLA comes full circle with the band’s beginnings, when they were scrapping up money from gigs to augment their Pez collections.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Red Album and that on the same day? Decisions, decisions...

Yeah, gonna be a great day for music!

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
Heads up to any central Florida goons. Less Than Jake isn't doing a Gainesville show on the new tour because they get back from Europe on July 15th and the tour starts on the 17th. They are, however, doing a special listening party for the new album / acoustic set / meet and greet on the 16th. Location isn't known yet. I'm driving down for this, gonna be awesome.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

We're doing a Florida tour pretty soon, so I figured I'd let you guys know about the shows in case anybody can come out. We're playing with a lot of really good bands so it should be a good time.

May 29 2008 Sluggos Pensacola, Florida

May 30 2008 1982 Gainesville, Florida

May 31 2008 SKAFEST 2008! @ Transitions Art Gallery Tampa, Florida

Jun 1 2008 Churchills Miami, Florida

Jun 2 2008 Precision Wave Studios Boca Raton, Florida

Jun 3 2008 Jack Rabbits Jacksonville, Florida

https://www.myspace.com/ttmt for show times and other band info.

Ska bands never come to Tallahassee :(

I saw The Supervillians maybe 6 years ago and picked up Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, pretty good album. I'm not as much into the weedcore ska stuff, but it's alright.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
Holy poo poo.

Less Than Jake relaunched their website today. They put up a streaming version of their new single, "Does the Lion City Still Roar?". It is awesome. It sounds totally different than anything they have ever done, but it sounds really familiar at the same time. It's hard to explain. It has a really old school sound to it. There's a dark, heavy ska riff and tons of horns. But the quality lyrics are on par with the stuff that didn't start showing up until Borders & Boundaries.

https://www.lessthanjake.com

I can't believe how good it is. I just bought a ticket to see them in St Pete on June 16. It'll be my 15th show. I'm getting a tattoo to commemorate it.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

theempathogen posted:

Hope you won't mind me linking you to this, then, as I feel you'd appreciate it. It's my only LTJ story:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2854476&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post344032760

You're from Gainesville? Represent, man. (I'm not, but I know far more about the place than most people that aren't from there tend to.)

Ha, that's pretty awesome.

I'm from Gainesville, but only sorta now. I've moved up to Tallahassee. Still close enough to drive down for home shows, which are loving incredibly. I can't imagine how much better they'll get once everybody learns the words to "The City of Gainesville". They'll be able to bookend their shows by starting with that and ending with "Gainesville Rock City".

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
Holy poo poo.

http://www.imperialrecords.jp/intl/artistlist/artist/lessthanjake/

That website, which I guess if for the record company releasing Less Than Jake's new album GNV FLA in Japan, has 40-second previews of all the songs on the new album. I was cautiously optimistic about the album at first, and after Does the Lion City Still Roar? came out I was excited, but now I'm certain this is going to be my favorite album of the year. There are speedy punk guitars, ska riffs, bits of metal, and HORNS all over the loving place on this album.

The Space They Can't Touch sounds glorious.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

Amazing find Striker. It does sound loving awesome. I hope they release it on vinyl as well.

They are. They're releasing 3 versions on vinyl. A colored vinyl (no idea what color) and a 180 gram black vinyl, which is also available as a limited collectors edition with signed art print. All three LPs will come in a gatefold package. You can pre-order it now on lessthanjake.com (LE sold out) and interpunk.com.

I got the Limited Edition LP and also the CD + "I <3 GNV ROCK CITY" shirt.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
I bought a ticket to see LTJ next week in St Pete but it's a four hour drive and with gas at $4/gal here in Florida I just can't justify dropping $100 to drive there and back. :(

I've listened to those preview tracks a few times now and I just can't get any more excited for this album. Two weeks left! I hear "The State of Florida" and when I close my eyes all I see is the biggest loving circle pit.

StrikerObi fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 11, 2008

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

SinSalvador posted:

I'd call them Crust Punk, but they definately have some (however insignificant they may be) ska-influences. Gay Rude Boys Unite at least proves that they feel some sort of connection to the scene.

Changing topics, that new LTJ album sounds amazing. I've never been a really big fan, though I did like a lot of Pezcore. Can anyone recommend LTJ albums that are musically in the same vein as the upcoming one?

The new album is weird because it sounds very familiar but at the same time like nothing they've done before. That said, I'd recommend Hello Rockview and Losing Streak. Those are their two best albums. Hello Rockview is probably the most similar to GNV FLA.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
New Less Than Jake song streaming on AbsolutePunk.

http://www.absolutepunk.net/artists/showlink.php?do=showdetails&l=1596

It's "Summon Monsters". It's pretty overtly about drug deals, and also pretty overtly awesome. GNV FLA is shaping up to be a massive record for this band.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
So the new Less Than Jake is out there now. I love the band too much to say where, but holy poo poo it's amazing. This album is easily their best release since Hello Rockview and will easily stand tall with their older material (yes, seriously).

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

Kolchak posted:

I'm with you on that one. I am so surprised at how much I'm loving this thing so far. It sounds great, and I'm not even that big of a ska fan (yeah, so why am I here?). It's so consistently catchy and fun. And fast! Songs like "This One's Gonna Leave a Bruise" have more energy in one verse than the last couple records combined (and, hell, I liked "Anthem"!). Now I'm glad I preordered that coloured vinyl.

That song reads like a sequel to "Plastic Cup Politics". Amazing.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I've never been to a LTJ show with a crap crowd either. And I'm in Florida to boot, what the hell?

Even the crowds here in Tallahassee for LTJ shows are good! They're nothing compared to the Gainesville crowds, but still. The crowds know every word to every song and it's like a party with your closest friends.

I'm really bummed that I missed them at Janus Landing, but I think hearing GNV FLA songs live for the first time in Gainesville (when they add a date eventually) is going to be pure magic.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

Loud About Loathing posted:

A friend and I were talking about how most of LTJ's output can be described by the sentence, "Gee, I really don't like where I live."

It's really ironic considering how much Vinnie loving loves Gainesville.

Check out the UK bonus track off GNV FLA, "Antidote for the Underdog". Part of it goes

Condition: My small town
Prognosis: Let's get out

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Vinnie loves Gainesville yet hates it. I saw them play at UF last year and they were really into it, but talked about how boring Gainesville was and how there were so many rednecks. It's weird. Especially since there is nothing about Gainesville to like.

I was at this show! I drove down from Tallahassee for it. It was pretty awesome! Gainesville shows are always the best. I'm so glad I lived there during high school.

I got my copies of GNV FLA in the mail yesterday. I picked up the CD with the "I [heart] GNV ROCK CITY" shirt (which is awesome, the design takes up the entire front of the shirt) and also the limited edition 180g vinyl LP, which is also awesome.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
Have any of you listened to The Rumblestrips from the UK? They've got a really old "Dexy's Midnight Runners" sound, really fun.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I still have a cover of 867-5309 that I got off Limewire that says LTJ

It's not

it's like eve 6 or someshit

I used to have Less Than Jake playing I'm A Dude with Kel and it was awesome

LTJ has covered 867-5309 (Jenny) though. It's on the Losers, Kings... comp, and whichever EP it was originally one. I can't remember which one it was.

I too used to have a poo poo ton of songs accredited to LTJ that were very clearly not though.

StrikerObi fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 14, 2010

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

"Greetings from Less Than Jake! This morning JUNE 20TH we released our 287th release as a band. It is available in our digital store in DRM FREE MP3 format and will be available direct fom the band out on this summers Warped Tour as well as from our mailorder in the next few weeks. here's the link : http://lessthanjake.limitedpressing.com/"

$5. 5 songs. 2 songs in and it's pretty sweet so far.

Totally digging it, loving all the horns.

Harvey Wallbanger sounds like it was written alongside the GNV FLA songs. It fits in with them lyrically.

I get a Sum41 vibe from the guitar riff on Goodbye Mr. Pesonality, and a big NOFX vibe from the intro to Life Led Out Loud.

It's real smart of them to get this out just in time for Warped. It'll give them something new to sell on tour and because it is an EP it will be cheap which is great for Warped since the kids tend to be tight on cash.

Here's hoping for a nice vinyl release, perhaps the sleeve will be an oversized postcard to go with the album title. I can't believe this is really their 287th release. I knew they had a poo poo load of releases but I thought it was closer to 200. This means they should hit 300 releases pretty easily (especially considering their recent approach of doing lots of EPs), which makes me hopeful for an insanely huge collector nerd style 300th release. I'm hoping for something similar to the pie tie (which I still don't have) or the Cereal Box (which I own and love, have sitting on my fridge).

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
Ha, posted on Twitter about how they should make the vinyl release a giant postcard and Vinnie responded saying I was "almost correct".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

guppy posted:

Will this be available through somewhere like Amazon MP3 or iTunes? I want it, but these days I'm a little wary of giving out my credit card info to more places.

The checkout system uses PayPal, so if you're cool with going through them then you're all set. I'm sure it'll hit iTunes and Amazon eventually, but I would guess since they self-publish their records now and they are about to head out to Warped Tour, that it probably won't show up on iTunes/Amazon until after Warped.