Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

demolition rickshaw posted:

I really wish I could say the same for Less Than Jake - In With the Out Crowd, but their most recent stuff really hasn't been doing it for me. :(

I've recently learned to love this album. Most songs aren't ska, but you just have to embrace the poppy goodness. The lyrics are so generic it's great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Anyway, Baker Act hasn't been active in years, but I'm still friends with most of the guys, and we recently put up a Myspace page with streaming songs and a history of the band (some of which I didn't even know): http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=243322252

This is awesome.

Also, does anybody know if Ska-P is dead or not? I'd love to see them live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I'm going to Utrecht on the 4th. I just pressured my friends into going.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Messyass posted:

I'm going to Utrecht on the 4th. I just pressured my friends into going.

Just got back. It was awesome.

SM were much more than an opening band, as expected. They really got the crowd going. I noticed that Tomas introduced Mephisto's Café as "this song is about Scientology". What's up with that?

RBF were great as ever. Their new record has some excellent live tracks. Especially Party Down and Another Day In Paradise.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I almost forgot, I've been enjoying this band I found through one of the other Myspace links in this thread.

I love the video they made.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Yeah, Checklist and Apologies are pretty rockin' imo.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Flutch posted:

I picked up a Less Than Jake album on a whim, and I dig it, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Which one?

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Depends on where you see em:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E65FQTS8rLU

Groezrock is mostly a punk/hardcore festival, but the one or two ska bands they book are usually very well received. I saw the Mad Caddies there in 07 and it was one the greatest shows I've ever seen.

It was the hottest time of the day and we were standing in a tent, but everybody was just going crazy.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Awesome. I'm a sucker for christmas music.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I like the classics as much as the next guy, but is there anything new and interesting going on in ska? I haven't really paid close attention to the genre for the last couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

ObsidianBeast posted:

Not sure if you meant new directions for the whole genre, or just new ska bands, but Kill Lincoln is "new", first album came out in 2011 and then had another last year: http://killlincolndc.bandcamp.com/

Mostly the former, but this doesn't sound bad at all. Thanks!