Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Thornes posted:

Also, I think I Voted For Kodos is dead

They are :( ASOB is RIP too, semi-reformed as BTMI.

And I swear Baker Act played here (West Palm Beach) before. Maybe with Neptune 66 a while back? I don't remember...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Where in West Palm, and when? Some of the guys in the band kept doing stuff after I left, but I don't believe they did any organized touring after 1999 or so.

There is another band called Baker Act, possibly even another Florida band, but as far as I know they don't play ska or ska-punk.

It was when I was about 8th grade. I'd say 98-99. If Neptune 66 or Napkin don't ring a bell, I could be wrong. As for venue, Spankys, maybe?

sno cones are yummy posted:

Now put your sippy cups down, what would you do?
You'd take, take a welfare state...

I thought "Dopeman" by Less Than Jake was a cute little song.

Also I thought it was funny when Reel Big Fish put out this song called "Sell Out" in which they really were selling out.

Anyway, this whole genre reeks of adolescent "OMG WE ARE SO TOTALLY RANDOM" wanksterism.

Post of the year.

I'm waiting for Action League Now! to actually record something. Dual lead singers, one female. I know of no other place to hear their music than myspace, so sorry about that. Here's the link anyway http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=58824819

DHCJohn posted:

- Ore Ska Band

:keke:

This is Common Rider were the only two I hadn't heard of. I like Common Rider, so thanks for that. I'm not sure if I like ORE though. I'm going to tackle the OP to check out the bands I haven't heard of.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 4, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Has anyone been to the Streetlight shows yet? Rumor has it there's an acoustic part of the show.

I'm going to the Orlando show, so I don't know what will make it this far south, if it even exists.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

The Skatalites.

Try "From Paris With Love," it has less vocal tracks than some of the other stuff I've heard.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

They wouldn't play Scott Farcas at the Florida Friends tour during requests either. Chris said something a long the lines of "that song loving sucks." They played just about any other song, including old/rare stuff.

IWTOC does have good songs, but they're so overproduced on the CD. A lot of the songs live are pretty good.

Vinny said they're trying to get "the energy" back into the next album, as the production of IWTOC kind of sucked it out.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

StrikerObi posted:

Why is Chris such a douche sometimes? Scott Farcas is easily in my top 5 LTJ songs, it's got so much loving energy.

I agree, I love that song.

I wish I wasn't a good 5 hour drive from Gainesville.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

amateur economist posted:

First of all, Mysterious Aftertaste, I like your taste in Avatar. I took that picture:

http://markperdomo.smugmug.com/gallery/603350#25441879

Second of all, speaking as somebody who has been into Streetlight Manifesto for a long time (the show that pic is from is 2005, and that was one of the LAST shows I shot of theirs), and the person who runs the largest Streetlight Messageboard, I find it both interesting and hilarious how popular Streetlight has gotten. And as people have mentioned.....not "entirely" ska, but I think they deserve the distinction.

Streetlight is amazingly huge these days, and i'm very happy for the success of the guys in the band, even thouh they still have to work lovely jobs teaching marching band and stuff to get by.

Sorry for jacking your photo like that.

You run skachilles, or is there a bigger SM-related board?

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

WaffleZombie posted:

Oh christ was that a mob scene after the show. I think they eventually ran out before I got to the front. I just gave up and bought a Stitch Up cd. And I got the set list off the sound board, so I'll equate that with the signed poster. Also, not that I really know sound boards, but it looked like they were recording the show. I also loved how a good 3/4 of the crowd new every lyric for every new song. The set list for the show at Starland:

The definitely were recording at Respectable Street in 2005, the night before the first time they got robbed. But I'm pretty sure the two times I've seen them since then, no apparent recording was going on.

Orlando show was changed to The Social. Quite excited about that, probably my favorite small venue I've been to.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Uh, try this order

Electric Boogaloo
The End is Near
Our Newest Album Ever

If you like those, you'll like the other ones.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Strictly Rude is awesome :colbert:

But I think the Gypsy Hill EP is the best overall thing Big D has released.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

WaffleZombie posted:

I am so jealous. The Social is such a fantastic venue, but I think I've told you that before.

Yeah, this is a late response.

I think you were the one that was there for the LTJ Florida shows? Well the SM show didn't beat those (those were the top 2 best shows I've ever been to) but it was still pretty good. It wasn't too crowded, but I couldn't hear Tomas from where I was.

SM won't play Receiving End on this tour :( Tomas said something about it "being too hard for him to sing."

Also someone IMed me about going to a SM show, but I was AFK and never got back to them. Sorry to whomever that was.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

You like AAA and VGS but not SM?

That's peculiar.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I love One Last Cigarette. I have about 20 favorite LTJ songs though, I like 99% of their entire discography.

I really wanted to see Pezcore played in its entirety, but I ended up with Anthem and Borders and Boundaries. I wasn't disappointed at all. Still the 2 best shows I've ever been to.

Edit: after watching that video, I really hope they do the Florida Friends tour again. Chris said they wanted to do it annually.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 26, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

There's 5 RELEASED BotAR songs. They have played at least 2 unreleased parts live of new songs. And BotAR predates SM.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

I'm the bassist for Taj :)

Very cool.

mix.lunar posted:

Why is it that a lot of people who say they're ska fans only like First Wave or Two-tone and completely hate on Third-Wave?

I don't know. I love 3rd wave and most 1st wave, but I hate nearly all two-tone.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Mike_V posted:

EDIT: This isn't very important, but I've been thinking that we can say that we've moved into 4th wave at this point, with bands like the Toasters, OpIvy, and others in the mid-80s until the early-mid 90s representing 3rd wave. Essentially 3rd wave being from like when the Toasters started up until around the Bosstones.

RX Bandits would be the closest thing to 4th wave, but they've started to leave the ska feel behind more and more. Not that they're still not awesome.

edit: And I was beat? drat.

Josh Wow posted:

Think about the waves, 1st wave was in Jamiaca and has what we now call the traditional ska sound. 2nd wave/two-tone was in England and added punk elements to the ska sound. 3rd wave is in America and added even more punk influences and sped things up. This is obviously an extreme simplification but you listen to bands/artists from the 3 different waves and they have really different sounds. There are always exceptions and bands that sound different, but it's about the overall sound of the bands in the scene.

That's about as simple and accurate as you can get.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

SkaWes posted:

I missed Reel Big Fish and one of the last Five Iron Frenzy concerts because I just couldn't make them, god drat do I wish I had tried harder to free up the time to go.

Five Iron Frenzy really needs to do a reunion tour. I never got to see them live either.

They just released some new shirts, so maybe there's hope.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Receiving End of it All is still one of the best songs I have ever heard, period.

SM isn't coming south for leg 2 of the tour, disappointing.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

The Voodoo Glow Skulls are completely badass if only for the fact that they are all ridiculously huge dudes and their singer sounds like a zombie. Honestly though VGS are awesome, although they are somewhat of an acquired taste.

They're like the spanish bosstones.

Only better.

(yes i'm the only person in this thread that does not like the bosstones)

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I don't think he had it removed... where is that report from?

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

It's supposedly not even broken, he just severely cut it. Not amputated as far as I know.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Well, I'm the first one onto the SM bandwagon then. I do not consider them overrated at all.

Bosstones, now that's an overrated band :colbert:

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

You can now listen to our new album in its entirety online!

http://tajmoteltrio.com/part-of-the-problem.html

There's 12 songs total and I'm not sure if it'll be like this for everybody but for me I can only see the titles of the first 5 although all 12 songs play. Enjoy.

Wow your band has really come along.

I remember searching for songs by them on napster, while trying to find underground ska bands.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

drat, The Social again. Too far of a drive.

I'll be at the April 14th show.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I've liked Anthem, B&B and IWTOC a lot more since the tours last February.

I'd say
Losing Streak > Anthem > Pezcore > Losers, Kings, and Things We Don't Understand > Borders & Boundaries > Hello Rockview > Goodbye Blue & White > B is for B-sides > ... > In With The Out Crowd

That's right, I consider Hello Rockview to be one of the weaker albums they've put out. And I'd still place it in my top 25 favorite albums. IWTOC is the only album (not including cover songs) that I end up skipping more than one track on. IWTOC would be 99% better if they re-released it completely unmastered.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I have never seen a bad LTJ show.

Although I live in Florida.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I'm sorry, but that's why I like RBF. It's like :gbsmith:

Speaking of RBF, doesn't Valerie sound exactly like Here In Your Bedroom by Goldfinger during the first verses? Every time it comes on all I can hear is Goldfinger until the chorus.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 17, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I really really hope FIF does a reunion tour. Reese seems to really hate the fame from FIF though.

Is Amazon adding any exclusive stuff? I have every LTJ and FIF CD already :|

StrikerObi posted:

LTJ's In With the Out Crowd get way too much hate. Sure, half the album is entirely mediocre but has a couple absolutely amazing tracks on it. A Still Life Franchise and P.S. Shock the World are two of their best songs ever in my opinion. I've got a personal love for Soundtrack of My Life because it reminds me of listening to Less Than Jake for the past 10 years.

Also, if you haven't heard any of the IWTOC B-sides, do yourself a favor and get them all (Negative Sides of Optimistic Eyes, We the Uninspired, Even Trophy Boys and Girls get the Blues, Only Human). They're all really really good. Oh, and Overrated's alternate lyrics are so much loving better than the ones on the album. They manage to turn the entire song into a searing satire of the pop-punk/emo scene.

More like Overrated's original lyrics.

IWTOC doesn't have bad songs, but the production of that album was horrible. Hearing them live is like hearing a completely different song.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

loldance posted:

There's a Ska Prom in the Tampa/St. Pete area in a couple weeks with local south Florida ska bands. Are any of you who are in Florida going?

5hr drive :effort:

But new LTJ CD coming soon.

quote:

Currently holed up in Chicago, recording the new Less Than Jake record for release on June 24, 2008...

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

I hope that it continues in the direction of 'In With the Out Crowd' cause they're starting to figure out how to mix/EQ properly again and they're at least getting back to where they were with Borders and Boundaries. That's about as good as I can hope for.

:psypop:

This is a troll, right?

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Apparently I misunderstood most of the post as well.

But as for post-production, it's been going in the wrong way since Hello Rockview, in my opinion.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Anyone want a ticket to Jacksonville (Florida) Streetlight show? I can't make it and I already got a ticket. It's April 18th at 8PM.

I don't mind sending it to someone if they're certain they can go.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I think the best album is The End, but FIF is one of my top 3 favorite bands and I'd place all the CDs very close to each other.

All The Hype That Money Can Buy - I personally would say start with this. I feel the variety of songs and styles is the broadest on this CD, if there's nothing on here you like, you probably won't find anything else from them that you like.

Electric Boogaloo - You could start with this too. This is probably their "hardest" or most "aggressive" album, but it's FIF, so that's not that aggressive. This is closer to a "punk with horns" or "rock with horns" CD than most of their others.

edit: I just looked at the track listing of all their CDs I have (which is... every single one). I'm not good for this. I honestly think every single one of them is great. Electirc Boogaloo is probably the most "accessible" though.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 9, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

sup byob

quote:

6/18 – REVOLUTION – FT. LAUDERDALE, FL

I'll be there. Hopefully it won't be a communal shower this time. God drat, it rained hard last time.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

I just found out that Mustard Plug is playing a few of the east coast dates with Less Than Jake. I know they're playing Atlanta and Myrtle Beach for sure, and the others are up on both their myspaces.

Yep, I might hit the Orlando show too, they're playing there as well.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

mix.lunar posted:

The band is working with Matt Allison (Rise Against, Alkaline Trio, Lawrence Arms, Copyrights, Methadones) in Chicago.

Ughhh. I hope maintains some Vinnie has control over it.

edit: Checked over which stuff he actually produced. I thought he did recent Alkaline Trio stuff, but he hasn't done anything of theirs since 2001, so that's good. The production quality he does sounds about on level with the production of Anthem, which was a pretty good compromise of balance and levels, emotion and energy. I'd still rather have the production like Losing Streak had.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 10, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

The Streetlight show in Ft. Lauderdale was great.

Watch it Crash
We Will Fall Together
Mephisto's Cafe
Receiving End of it All
Failing, Flailing
Here's to Life
It's a Wonderful Life
Linoleum (NOFX cover)
40 Days
We Are the Few
If and When We Rise Again

encore:
Dear Sergio
Somewhere in the Between
A Moment of Silence
A Moment of Violence

I might have missed a song or two, but that's roughly how it went (I know the last 4 are right)

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

It's a very good cover.

I don't know what they've done at other shows, but it was Tomas (acoustic, vocals), Conti (vocals), Chris (drums) and Pete (electric upright). Actually towards the very end Matt Stewart came in too. No other horns, though.

I kind of want to see what other NOFX songs would be like if they were all kind of acousticized. I love NOFX as it is, but this was an awesome version of Linoleum. There were a lot of people that didn't know the song at all, but I was freaking out. I was not expecting a NOFX cover.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 16, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Considering "99 Songs of the Revolution" is supposed to be mostly covers, it makes sense.

Maybe we'll get RC Cola to force them to release it in about 17 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

StrikerObi posted:

Less Than Jake announced their new album today. It's titled "GNV FLA" (aka Gainesville, Florida).

1. City Of Gainesville
2. The State Of Florida
3. Does the Lion City Still Roar?
4. Summon Monsters
5. Abandon Ship
6. Handshake Meets Pokerface
7. Settling Son
8. Malachi Richter's Liquor's Quicker
9. Golden Age Of My Negative Ways
10. The Space They Can't Touch
11. Conviction Notice
12. This One's Gonna Leave A Bruise
13. The Life Of The Party Has Left The Building
14. Devil In My DNA

This makes me super excited. Mostly because I'm from Gainesville and I love LTJ. Quote from the band below.

Oh poo poo.

And RXB in Ft Lauderdale! Oh yes.