Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Oh poo poo, I love Stray Bullets. Thanks.

StrikerObi posted:

Heads up to any central Florida goons. Less Than Jake isn't doing a Gainesville show on the new tour because they get back from Europe on July 15th and the tour starts on the 17th. They are, however, doing a special listening party for the new album / acoustic set / meet and greet on the 16th. Location isn't known yet. I'm driving down for this, gonna be awesome.

I should be at UCF then, I might go to this.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Acoustic set with Tomas only.

Very good quality for a YouTube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms4PsH5yb7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAGz4kjgc8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEPOwftGonk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAXvTJGwnVI

That'll be the day is loving awesome, jesus.

edit: Tomas from Streetlight Manifesto. Sorry I turn this thread into an SM thread from time to time.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 5, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Haha, Victory is hilarious.

http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=320643

edit: I'll probably go to the Boca show for Taj

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 25, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

guppy posted:

Rx Bandits - I don't even know whether to classify these guys as ska. They have... a trombonist, if I remember correctly. They tend to write much more complex stuff than most ska bands. I dig 'em. They have three albums (well, four, but the first sounds totally different), Progress, The Resignation and ... And The Battle Begun. I like all three, but they all have a very different sound. I used to like Progress the most; now I find myself with a marked preference for ... And The Battle Begun.

They actually have 5 studio albums (and a live album). The first 2 are pretty generic 3rd-wave ska.

Those drat Bandits
Halfway Between Here and There
Progress
The Resignation
...and the Battle Begun

They've kind of gone to a ska/reggae influenced progressive band, but I still think they're great. I'm actually going to see them next month. Their last 2 albums are amazing, Progress was a bit overproduced for my taste.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Your Japanese Dad posted:

So do you guys consider Leftover Crack ska? I've never been a fan of ska but I dig Leftover Crack, but I can't seem to figure out what genre they are.

Kind of hardcore skapunk. I only have Choking Victim though.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

While waiting for GNV FLA, I've been listening to State Radio - Us Against The Crown a lot. It's not really ska, as Dispatch wasn't really ska.

It's Chad of Dispatch's band.

Live recroding of a song off it, Gunship Politico http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F87nQrFfaZY&feature=related

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

They're traditional ska and rocksteady. Probably one of the top Boston bands. Their music is so.. peaceful, but catchy. It's not reggae outright, though they do have a couple of very downtempo songs. On average their music generally ranges between 120bpm-160bpm.

And yeah I've heard Somewhere in the Between too. Strangely, while Big D's singer has never irritated me, I am completely turned off by Streetlight's lead singer, and the band's unrelenting 300+ bpm tempos just don't appeal to me. I know that I'm not in the majority here, but I just can't get into them at all.

While I do enjoy Westbound Train, I could never say I like them more than SM.

And going from Whole Wheat Bread -> Westbound Train -> Streetlight Manifesto didn't work at all on that tour. And the crowd wasn't into Westbound at all, which really sucked. I unfortunately didn't know about them prior to that show, wish I did.

I wouldn't listen to WBT when I'm in the same "mood" to listen to SM.

And yes Transitions is very good. The bass on that album sounds so warm, I really don't know what they did, but it's amazing sounding.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

That does not sound like a very smart pairing. WBT shouldn't be going on tour with the ska equivalent of drinking upwards of 10 lattes. They should tour with a band like the Slackers or Deal's Gone Bad. If they're gonna tour with any kind of uptempo band they should roll with the Toasters. In fact, they have!

e: Traditional ska is not boring, by the way. For me, bands whose horn lines consist of nothing but dotted eighth notes and who have the same chord progression in every song are boring. Bands like The Super Pineapples are boring. Not traditional ska. Not to say that I hate third wave or anything, that's far from the truth. But there's more out there than skapunk.

No, I never said WBT was boring.

But that tour lineup didn't fit at all :( The current tour of Don Potthast -> Zox -> SM works much better, despite Zox having little ska influences.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I saw Less than Jake for the 6th time tonight and their setlist was pretty bad but I was really impressed by Mustard Plug opening for them. They are way better than I expected, even though they're pretty generic.

Suburban Legends were pretty cool too but most of that was the novelty that they dance a lot during their shows.

Since it's raining all night at the Ft. Lauderdale show, I'm trying to skip Suburban Legends. I've been to quite a few LTJ shows, but nothing has stood up to their Florida Friends tour. That was loving amazing, and I'll never forget those concerts. 2hr 30min+ of playing each night.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Suburban Legends were pretty bad. Their best song was seriously Under the Sea, and I liked some of their earlier stuff. When their last song wasn't actually the last song, the crowd booed them, which was kind of lame.

I'm not a big fan of Mustard Plug, but they were alright. They did two covers, both of which I liked better than all of their original music.

But I went to see Less Than Jake. It was quite a good show, but the crowd sucked balls. They actually went back and replayed the breakdown in The Ghosts of Me and You because the crowd sucked so bad. When Chris asked the crowd if they would rather see LTJ on the Shout it Loud tour or Warped, Warped got more cheers :psyduck: After that Vinnie spammed the Price is Right "loss" sound for about 30 seconds.

lovely picture because I accidentally left my phone on SMS picture mode :shobon:

And Buddy never fails to amaze me in how much energy he has.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

jetgrindeggy posted:

I've never been to an LTJ show where the crowd was anything but amazing, but I'll admit they've all been in NYC. I wonder if they'll sell out the Roseland like last summer. That was the 2nd biggest show I'd ever been to, after blink-182.

I've never been to a LTJ show with a crap crowd either. And I'm in Florida to boot, what the hell?

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

TLG James posted:

I was listening to GNV FLA, and does anyone else find it weird that in the song, City Of Gainesville, one of the lyrics are "I may be going broke but I’m never broken down"

Considering "The Science of Selling yourself short" is exactly that.

I thought the science was one of the few songs not written by Vinnie. IIRC, Roger wrote that.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

guppy posted:

Also, GNV FLA is out today :) Bought it off Amazon MP3 this morning. Very good, much better than the last couple. Standout track is clearly "Does The Lion City Still Roar?" but there's a lot of great stuff on it.

Didn't get it at the show? It was only $10.

The Ft. Lauderdale show only got SL, Mustard Plug and LTJ. I'd like to see Goldfinger, never seen them live and don't like them enough to go to one of their headlining tours.

Half of SL and Mustard Plug were walking around talking to people after they played. I didn't stay after LTJ was done, but JR and Buddy generally talk to the crowd, and sometimes Vinnie comes out a lot later.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I support LTJ probably more than any other band. I believe I own every full-length CD they have (including Greased and the first Goodbye Blue & White) as well as random merch. I'm really really pissed I didn't buy the evo kid/mickey mouse shirt at the FL Friends tour.

Oh, and drat you brits.

The bonus track you get isn't that bad either (Antidote for the Underdog). It leans a bit more into a IWOTC sound, but it would have been the second best song on IWOTC if it was on there (behind PS Shock the World). http://youtube.com/watch?v=0drzb_F_Sbs

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 25, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

edit: Granted this IS the ska thread but THREE SM avatars? hahahaha

I think we got 3 SM and 1 BOTAR in this thread.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Thornes posted:

Well I was bored so I tried to pick out the songs and ignore his voice.

Also he was completely wrong in his commentary of She has a girlfriend now by RBF. Bastard.

Anyway here's what I got so far:

1 - ?
2 - ? Baggy Trousers maybe
3 - The Specials - Ghost Town
4 - Madness - Baggy Trousers
5 - Reel Big Fish - She Has a Girlfriend Now
6 - No idea
7 - Goldfinger - Superman
8 - No clue something about spray on trousers
9 - His band I guess
10 - Might still be his band in a different song
11 - Ghostbusters cover possibly by Attaboy Skip
12 - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - You Gotta Go
13 - Madness - Our House

First song is Brown Eyed Girl cover by Skatalica. I'm pretty sure 10 (the background song when they're talking about his band name) is the Skatalites, I know I've heard it before but I can never remember Skatalites song names. Song #6 is a mystery, sounds a bit like Big D but I really doubt it is.

And I just was looking through the first list, when the hell did The Stray Bullets break up? I'm disappointed, they were great.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Chipyy posted:

US folks - how 'into' UK ska are you guys, generally speaking? Are you particularly aware of it? Or do most UK ska bands not cross the pond? What about older UK two-tone bands from the 70s such as The Specials, Madness, Bad Manners etc?

I like some former Moon Ska EU bands (and random stuff). Solabeat Alliance, Spankboy, [spunge], The King Blues, SB6, The JB Conspiracy.

But generally no one over here has heard of any of them. I'm not really into two-tone though.

And JB Conspiracy is really really good.

edit: seriously, check them out http://www.myspace.com/thejbconspiracy

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I know they're barely even ska-influenced now, but I just got back from an awesome RX Bandits concert. It was the best concert I've seen all year. The ending with Infection was amazing.

The first opening band (Facing New York) was pretty bad, and the second one (Portugal) was alright. Portugal's lead singer/guitarist never faced the crowd the whole set :?:

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

guppy posted:

I'm going to their show in Baltimore on the 29th, glad to hear they're in good form. Anyone else going?

It was an older and more friendly crowd too. Don't get me wrong, it was one of the biggest mosh pits I've ever seen at that venue, but everyone was very kind. At most ska shows people will just push you over, don't help people that fall back up, and generally are assholes.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Well, everything they said that was "on their new album" was awful. I remember one being called "Cops on Bikes" and it was just terrible.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Don't those games already have both guitar and bass on some songs as the buttons?

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Yeah, pretty much.

Big D has a lot of mediocre songs, but their good ones are pretty drat good.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

guppy posted:

Man, they're going on tour again but aren't coming to my area? Poop. :(

Same here. Not coming to my state, even.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I highly doubt it will be Catch 22.

Maybe Dan Potthast or Tomas solo album.

Even late 2009 would be awesome. I was expecting 2010 before anything.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

They played Sick and Sad acoustic?

drat.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Please don't start that discussion in this thread.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

for some reason unbeknownst to me, I've never been able to get into Mustard Plug. I feel like I should like them, but they don't click. Kind of like Radiohead for me.

I don't like Mustard Plug at all.

OK Computer is amazing though.

Aww Cute Kitty! posted:

The new RBF album has a cover of Brown Eyed Girl. Why am I irritated by this?

First, holy poo poo they have a new album already?

Second, ugh.

I'm the only hardcore FIF fan still around, but Reese posted this recently

quote:

Also, we are still hoping to get the FIF DVD out by Christmas on Asian Man Records/Department of Biophysics. We hope you hate it. Love, Reese

I'd kill to have them do a reunion tour come 2013.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Cheesegod posted:

Didn't see this posted here yet surprisingly. Tomas Kalnoky was interviewed by Alternative Press and played a few acoustic covers of Streetlight songs which are really loving cool (even though he cant remember his own lyrics):

http://www.altpress.com/modules/dsp_mediaplayer.cfm?pathXML=xml_mp3.xml&track=33

Not much new info about 99 songs of the revolution other than its coming, however :(

Tomas sounded so creepy at the beginning.

"I'd be playing acoustic guitar, by myself, in my house, to my cat." Hahaha.

He didn't sing my favorite verse in Dear Sergio, which was kind of disappointing.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

guppy posted:

~10 new dates announced for Less Than Jake in March. They're coming back to Baltimore :)

Yup just ordered tickets for the Orlando show

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo I love Stray Bullets.

Thanks.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Wait, Warped Tour isn't going to suck this year?

http://www.warpedtour.com/warpedtour/bands.asp

Going for Streetlight, Big D, Bad Religion, NOFX, Westbound Train, Less Than Jake and Flogging Molly.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Cystic posted:

Yeah, I just found a youtube clip of it for anyone wondering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYbJWZHmjHk

Finally a semi-good recording of it, thanks

I'll be seeing them again on the 7th

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

lessthankyle posted:

Just stumbled into a great show by the band Passafire. I was walking back from a night out on a business trip and heard them playing in Emos here in Austin, TX. They were a lot of fun, but I had never heard of them before. I'd give 'em a listen, they're more reggae than ska, but still good.

Okay these guys are awesome

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

The streetlight show last night was pretty good. The only difference from the last time I saw them was Tomas opened the encore with the acoustic Sick and Sad. And the encore didn't include Dear Sergio this time.

And the concert was way oversold which kind of sucked.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Gipsy Hill is the best Big D release imo

I really like Checklist

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Streetlight Manifesto posted:

02.11.2009 | Oh, Like You've Never Been Late
Soooo, just a tidbit or two from our end:

We will be making our TV debut on FOX sometime in the next few weeks. We recently taped a few songs at the Fearless TV studios for their show. I'm pretty sure it was the first time we ever played without an audience in front of us, but worry not, lyrics were forgotten and stuff was knocked over, just like at a real life Streetlight show. Then we spent a few minutes doing an awkward on camera interview that probably seemed hilarious at the time but will come across as, well, awkward when it airs. Good times. We'll keep you posted on when it will air so our parents can Tivo it and show everyone come the '09 holiday season.

There's a 10% off everything sale going on at The Risc Store (including all SM merch of course) now. Add something to your cart and it will be deducted automatically.

Lastly, regarding the 99 Songs of Revolution Project: we're wrapping up recording and mixing in the next few weeks. We'll have a track list up soon, and more info on its release is on the way. It will definitely be in stores (or somehow available for pirating) by the time Warped rolls around. Scouts honor.

Which year Warped tour?

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Dundee McFluffers posted:

They're on the '09 band list.

http://www.warpedtour.com/warpedtour/bands.asp

I know :ssh:

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Well, I suppose this counts.

http://www.nodoubt.com/events/

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

guppy posted:

Less Than Jake were awesome, they've been among my favorite bands for a while now but I thought they were better last night than they were last time I saw them. They played 9th At Pine, too, which was on my shortlist of "want to hear" songs.

That's like one of the very few non-covers I haven't heard them play live.

That and St. James Hotel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

wow i was so busy i forgot to go to the LTJ show last week

drat, ticket is sitting right here too