Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
No love for the Trojans?

Admittedly they are kinda a gimmick band, but they bring a unique perspective to the trad. style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lessthankyle posted:

Or, you could go the real old school route:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAL1VTfffOo

Man, I would love to be around Kingston circa 1962-1967. So many crucial tunes coming out then.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

the_Vandal posted:

What would be a good first wave band to start off with, as I haven't really heard a lot of early ska? I like third wave the best but dub is pretty awesome too and I'd really like to try something to get to know the roots of one of my favorite genres.

Prince Buster, Desmond Dekker, Justin Hinds, The Skatalites, Toots and The Maytals (although most of their stuff is reggae), Lee "Scratch" Perry (non-dub stuff), Laurel Aitken, Tommy McCook, The Aggrovators, etc.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

brb buddy posted:

I really enjoy Ska, but mostly first-wave Ska. I know of a few bands, Toots and the Maytals and Millie Small...who else should I be checking out? I'm a huge, huge fan of doo-wop/R&B by the way, if that makes a difference

Did you completely ignore my post a view posts above this one?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The Gasman Cometh posted:

If you like R&B then get the Trojan Records R&B box set. Basically Jamaican artists playing American style R&B but you can hear the ska rhythm coming about. Along similar lines a compilation called 'Duke Reid - the Trojan: Mark Lamarr Presents...Nuclear Weapon - Rare & Previously Unissued Early 60's Ska'

Should probably also check out any Rocksteady compilations.

Nice username by the way.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Teferet posted:

I think I'm the only person I know who likes ska. Every time someone new gets into my car I get asked what the hell I'm listening to.

Anyway, has anyone heard of the World/Inferno Friendship Society? They aren't exactly a ska band but they do play a lot of ska stuff and are a bit like Streetlight Manifesto. Supposedly they have some huge festival up near Boston every year around Halloween.

Is this a joke post? W/IFS is awesome but I would be interested to know what songs you detect any sort of ska sounds from.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Chipyy posted:

Well, if anyone's interested, I am in a British ska band called The Lockup. We play heavily two-tone flavoured stuff with some dub and reggae influences thrown in. We're not huge, but we get around the underground scene a fair old bit, and I'd say we have quite a good name for ourselves. We've been gigging about 3 years, and have played with The Beat and The Pietasters to namedrop a couple. There's a couple of songs up on https://www.myspace.com/thelockup, and we have a some newer, unreleased (and in my opinion more mature) stuff that I could maybe host for goons, if anyone likes it. We're playing with The Trojans in Birmingham (UK) at the end of the month, if anyone fancies it.

p.s. hot female vocalist! :fap:

(I also used to be in a ska-punk band called The Brass Monkeys, we are practicing for a couple of reunion gigs at the moment, but we're a bit rubbish currently, so I'm not posting any links.)

Not bad, is Espionage influenced by Secret Agent Man by the Toasters? I always love a band that isn't afraid to throw in the keys.

Also, I'm jealous you get to play with the Trojans, I didn't know they were still together.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Wizard Mannequin posted:

What was everyones first ska show? Mine was SGR(who I hate), Ruder Than You(who were incredible) and the Slackers, back when I was in like 9th grade. I'm really glad my first ska show was more trad/reggae oriented, and definately helped me get into that stuff.

The Toasters. I don't go to many because I only like a couple bands that are actually still together.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

seventeen posted:

I was asking if there has been a tribute album to the Aquabats, not where can I find their cds

Why would a band that is pretty much still going have a tribute album?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

So let me ask this to all the goons:

How many of you went to the Shout it Outloud tour with RBF, Less Than Jake, Streetlight, and Against All Authority?

Bonus points if you were at the STL show!

Let me say this, that show was amazing and it convinced a few of my friends that ska is no longer a dead genre if there are still shows like this in the world.

I was gonna go but then realized I didn't want to pay $25 or whatever to see AAA play for 20 minutes and then leave.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I went to the show in New Hampshire. It was awesome.

Why would you leave after the worst band played? :confused: I showed up 15 minutes late, and from the 5 minutes I saw of AAA, I'm glad I did. They just sounded awful.

You must tell me where you got it. I've had it preordered (from Newbury comics where your cd gets signed by Dicky Barrett :dance: ) since the day they allowed me to.

Anyone else got tickets to any of the Bosstones shows? I managed to grab a pair for the New Years Eve show at Lupos.

I pretty much despise 3rd wave (4th wave if you ask me since I consider bands like the Toasters 3rd wave). I hate RBF and LTJ, and am indifferent about SM. AAA bring the punk sound to be quite honest and I classify them as a punk band, not ska.

But I won't bring this thread down with my hate.

Now, I just need the Dogs to come back to St. Louis, it's been like 6 months since I've last seen them and I'm going through withdrawal.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

mrfancycrackers posted:

Because third-wave is what the majority of people consider ska, as that is what broke into the mainstream in the most visible way. So the best way to be elitist is to go against the grain against popular opinion. Same with emo.

RITES OF SPRING IS EMO YOU GUYS NOT MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE!!!

Your latter example is awful because it is a very legitimate complaint. People get angry because of what WM said and I have to avoid saying I like ska most of the time because people think I'm talking about goofy 3rd wave high school bands and laugh, not a very culturally specific style of music from the 60s.

EDIT: This isn't very important, but I've been thinking that we can say that we've moved into 4th wave at this point, with bands like the Toasters, OpIvy, and others in the mid-80s until the early-mid 90s representing 3rd wave. Essentially 3rd wave being from like when the Toasters started up until around the Bosstones.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 27, 2007

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Amorphous Bob posted:

If your taste is Ska is anything similar to that of mine, it might be the tempo. I respect and acknowledge the 1st wave scene, but I just can't get into the reggae stuff. It's too slow for me. Second wave I like, but at the same time dislike a little bit. It's the rough, disorganized sounds that turn me off. Things definitely start to pick up near the end of that era, but it's the residual reggae sound and tempo that stifles my interest. I like 3rd wave the most because it's really fast-paced, and cleaned up a bit, but I still enjoy Catch 22, Streetlight's former stuff, and the gruff voice of the Bosstones. While the reggae roots are still apparent, and some bands still use the slow tempo and thumping bass, bands like Sublime, and the last few songs on the new Mad Caddies album which increase the tempo a bit have a good sound.

In summation, it's the speed of 3rd wave that attracts me to it the most. I can't speak for you, but I can add insight.

You do realize that reggae was a product of ska and not vice-versa, right?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The Skatalites are the best live band, hands down.

70 year old dudes rocking for over 2 hours straight? How the gently caress are you going to beat that?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Carl with a K posted:

I saw Westbound Train when they opened for Streetlight Manifesto and they kicked rear end but then i listened to some of their songs on cd and they were boring

Man, WBT kill it on their albums (Haven't gotten to see them live yet) and they are one of the best trad bands going. You just have to be ready to sit back and groove.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Now I'm going to look like an rear end based on the post above mine, but I can confirm that Big D are as awful live as they are recorded. I was hoping to skip their whole set since they opened for the Murphys, but I caught the last couple songs. I walked in on a song where the lead dude was playing a melodica and was ready to get down to some Augustus Pablo type jams, but then that song ended and it was back to wacky, generic third wave. Oh well.

I guess what I mean to say is, you have it in you, guys! I saw it for one song.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

mix.lunar posted:

A lot of people like the way Big D sounds. Besides, if I wanted a jam band, I'd go see the Grateful Dead.

Augustus Pablo is not a jam band. I use "jams" as a term for "good songs," not noodle around on stage.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lessthankyle posted:

I've been getting more and more frustrated about not being able to find any good shows here in NYC. You'd think it'd be a kickin' scene, but I'm at a complete loss.

:what:

The Slackers play there all the time. They're having Slackerfest or whatever there aren't they? With Bomb The Music Industry!.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Specials are apparently re-uniting around September or something. Gonna be super pissed if they are doing UK-only shows.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

New Slackers album is slammin. I suggest you all pick it up if you don't want to look like a geek.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 16, 2008

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Big D is putting out a dub remix album, it might already be out but I loving hate their dub music so I can't be assed to find out.

Haha, the dub song they played was the only song of theirs I could stand when they opened for the Murphys.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

gerfatty posted:

What what what. LaGrecia too? gently caress...I gotta get some money. Also, I need to brush up on my knowing when records are coming out skillz. I am just a big failure when it comes to that.

Also, what is up with this Specials reunion? Anyone have any news other than that it's happening? I'm super stoked because loving Terry Hall has announced that he will be rejoining the lineup, thus making the reunion complete. I really really hope that they come to the US and not only do a UK tour.

I'd bet on it being UK only. It'll probably be like 3 London shows with like a Manchester one or something. Ugh.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

So on the first page it says Bomb the Music Industry, so I downloaded there albums off there site, and while I really like most of there stuff I don't hear alot of ska influences? Can someone point on some songs that are more ska-y.

Sorry, Brooklyn. Dancing Won't Solve Anything.

I dunno, they (he, sometimes) obviously have been influenced by ska, but it's not like they are really going to represent what people who are just down with like LTJ, RBF, et. al would be expecting from a ska-influenced band. For what it's worth, I just classify them as "Punk" in my iTunes list.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 12, 2008

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The Hidden Sherpa posted:

From my experience, I can firmly say that new school is way better than old school :colbert: . My problem is that the only new school band I know of is Reel Big Fish. I need more ska! It is killing me!

Lucky for you, pretty much everyone under the age of 18 shares this wrong opinion so you should have no problem finding more bands.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

Whaaaa? Have you ever listened to Somewhere in the Between? Its probably the most fantastic album to be released all of 2007. And isn't most of Westbound Trains stuff more reggae?

Is this really what people think actual ska is? Reggae? :pwn:

Also, saw a mention of Prince Buster up in here. That's what I"m talking about. He's one of the last remaining legends.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Backno posted:

Might I recomend "Transitions", I think it's a lot better the "Five to Two"

e: fixed poor choice of words

They're both very good albums and each has its own killer tracks. Get them both.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

SinSalvador posted:

We haven't really got anything resembling a ska scene where I live, but is it typical for people who listen to ska to go out of their way with the whole ska-fashion like these people? I don't have a problem with wearing scene-specific clothing, but what they do seems excessive.

In other words, will I be beaten up at Ska Weekend for not wearing a porkpie hat?

At least that kid recognized The Specials and Madness. Rest of it was poo poo, though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

First song was a lovely cover of some song I forget.

Second one is Madness - Baggy Trousers. Third is The Specials - Ghost Town. Then they replayed Baggy Trousers again.

Then I guess some song by RBF, I don't listen to them so I don't know what it was. Then some other lovely third wave band. Another lovely third wave band. Don't know what the next one is. Embarrassing cover of Ghostbusters. Some other poo poo.

Madness - Our House is next for some reason, not really that much of a ska song.

That kid sucked, though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Chipyy posted:

US folks - how 'into' UK ska are you guys, generally speaking? Are you particularly aware of it? Or do most UK ska bands not cross the pond? What about older UK two-tone bands from the 70s such as The Specials, Madness, Bad Manners etc?

Good luck getting discussion going about anything older than 1990 in this thread. If you're in the UK, has there been any more details about the Specials supposed reunion?

Also, Bad Manners just toured the US if you all didn't know.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FeatherPants posted:

I'd say a lot of the ska scene around here are 15-16 year males in high school band; pop-punk with a brass section appeals to them and so that's what becomes popular and those are the types of bands that they join and call ska. You can't forget about other US ska bands like The Toasters and The Slackers though. There are bands still making the 'real' ska sound but they tend to be an older crowd and thus less popular.

Let's not get carried away in calling the Toasters real ska. I love them, but they firmly owe their influences to Two-Tone and were at the vanguard of the rising US ska movement in the late 80s.

Slackers rule, though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

guppy posted:

Can we not descend into a stupid argument about what is and isn't ska, Jesus gently caress

Sorry. Return to your discussion about SM/RBF/LTJ/Big D for 20 pages.

Fateo, do you notice that the Murphys shows seem to be getting less and less fun? There are just too many people there the last show I went to and it was impossible to get an actual pit going.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 11, 2008

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Thornes posted:

There's nothing wrong with a discussion about ska. It's the people who are like "Man third wave is so much better than trad ska" or "Third wave loving sucks" that take away from the thread.

Come on people, we should be above that!

No one was really saying that though :confused: I was just discussing the influences of the Toasters because I misunderstood what Featherpants meant.

Also, FP, the last show I went to was in STL at the Pageant and it was pretty awful (well, compared to the last time I had seen them at Mississippi Nights RIP). I much prefer to go to Street Dogs shows over DKM ones now because there are less douchebags and more people who are there to go crazy.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Chipyy posted:

I see your point, but no-one was really saying "gently caress them, they're not ska". I don't think a bit of discussion over what makes the sound really does any harm. I may have said those bands are more like punk with horns to me but I wasn't dissing them. They're great, used to be some of my favourite bands, and I'll happily still refer to them as ska bands, I'm not being a snob about it. But you must admit this thread has been a little one dimensional.

Were you the guy who was in that throwback band? Your band was pretty good from what I remember.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Maybe it's just me but I think Big D is a pretty lovely band.

Going to empty quote this because it is pretty accurate.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Chipyy posted:

Why on earth do I never think to look in wikipedia for these things?

Yeah, they'll always be The English Beat to me. Although some record stores list them as "The (English) Beat."

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

Big D were doing great for a while. Shot by Lammi was pretty good, Good luck was killer, Gypsy Hill was still good even though some of the songs were a little boring, and Good Luck was 2/3 of a really good record but they decided to make it ultra long and leave in stuff that should have been cut. Then they started playing dub. I don't know how many of you own the Salem Girls EP but it is ridiculously bad. When that came out they started playing dub live and stupid Dave would be playing his stupid rear end melodica at every show. This is where Big D really went downhill.

They then announce that their next 3 albums are going to be a ska album, a punk album, and a dub album? What the hell? I don't know if their success went to their heads or Dave finally started making the decisions or what but goddamn is that a horrible idea. So they release a split with Brain Failure where Brain Failure's side is 10 times better than Big Ds. They had 1.5 good songs on it, which were Digging In Your Nails (which is still kinda annoying due to Dave's voice) and I'm Yours Boston which is a good song with really annoying singing/lyrics. At this point they've consecutively released a bad EP and a pretty bad half of a split. This is when Strictly Rude comes out.

At first when Strictly Rude came out I thought it was horrible except for Noise Complaint and Fly Away. Even Noise Complaint isn't that great because of how repetitive the lyrics are and how they totally hosed up the gang vocals and everybody sounds bored, but I still like it. As I've listened to it I realize it isn't a horrible record, but it is a horrible Big D record. It doesn't sound anything like the good Big D from back in the day. At best it's a mediocre record but they say this is their all ska record and they put just an absolutely horrid acoustic-to-punk song on it "let the drat cows moo...." and don't even have that much ska on it to call it strictly rude and good god I loving hate what Big D has become they used to be so good. Sorry that was so long, I needed to vent.

When I had to see them open for the Murphys, the only song I enjoyed of theirs was their dub song. Also, they butchered Little Bitch which made me very angry.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Not that any of you care, but

quote:

Almost the entire original lineup of the legendary The Specials will be reunited in 2009 in celebration of their 30th anniversary. In an interview with NME, frontman Terry Hall explained:

It's the right time to do it [reunite] - we talked about it at 25 but we weren't together enough. Now we're all getting on and it feels comfortable again.

Original members of the band including Hall, Neville Staple, Sir Horace Gentleman, Roddy Radiation, Lynval Golding and John Bradbury are all confirmed to play the shows. However, founding member Jerry Dammers will not be participating though Hall is not ruling it out. The shows will be the first time the bulk of the band members have worked together since 1981.

Except it's UK only :suicide:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

For the one person in the thread who cares, apparently there is drama surrounding the Specials reunion:

quote:

Jerry has a duty to inform anybody who may be interested of the true situation, which is that he was not invited to take part in this proposed tour, or even told about it.

He also has to say that claims that 'the door is still open' to him fail to mention that Jerry has been driven out every time he has attempted to get involved over the last year. He also wonders why this appears in the newspaper when former bandmates have his phone number?

Apart from the recording, Jerry wanted to try and aim for a proper reunion and 30th anniversary celebration, including [performing] the best part of both Specials albums, 'The Ghost Town' EP and a small amount of new material, in proper concerts, in venues worthy of the band's status and legacy."

Jerry sees this whole thing as a takeover, rather than a proper reunion... At the moment this is not the proud reunion and 30th anniversary celebration Jerry had hoped for."

Goddamnit, why can't these fuckers just get over it and do a proper reunion with a world tour?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Holy gently caress. I just found a video of the Pogues +Lynval Golding +Joe Strummer playing Message To You Rudy. It loving rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7QL_PDC5XM&feature=related

Urgghghghh I wish I had been born a decade earlier.

This rules so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Thornes posted:

Hey, what the hell is this?!

Madness is releasing a new album?!?!

It's called "The Liberty Of Norton Folgate"

They have some songs up on their MySpace!

E: A fifth line of text, longer than the last for good measure.

Double edit: Wait, I didn't realize they were still together. Man that makes my news less special. How about news that The Specials are doing a reunion tour? It's for their 30th anniversary.

They released the Dangermen Sessions a couple years ago. It was all covers I think and it was ok. Kinda owuld just like to see them tour instead of work on new material which is gonna be bad.